Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 165 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigang

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  27 mins ago
 clint:  29 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Amiga + SMPTE / MTC help needed (Solved)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Re: Amiga + SMPTE / MTC help needed
Posted on 28-May-2016 0:05:50
#41 ]

@Hypex

yes indeed.. these were serious gripes back in the day.. when 3kps vs 5k was a MASSIVE difference.. i remember spending so much time testing / optimizing things to see what i could do.. I remember getting a PCMCIA modem card, but i think the driver issue prevented it from working.. long before plug and play and certainly even then, a time when Amiga support was already long gone..

Yea that's interesting about AmigaOne. It's interesting to see that it still has this cult following so long after it's demise.. it does say something about how amazing it was, even if largely forgotten by the mainstream.

lol so true! :)

Last edited by 227 on 28-May-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 28-May-2016 16:28:27
#42 ]
Elite Member

@227

We've broken onto page three! And so far gone off topic. But I'm enjoying our little discussion.

Yes those thousands of kilobits made a difference. Another unfortunate thing left behind, the serial port. These days we obsess over megabits, so how much has changed? Perhaps in future we will grope for these extra terrabits. Haha.

Of interest to note that is that when I upgraded to broadband, I went from 5KB/s to 30KB/s. So about 56Kbps to 256 Kbps. The computer was in reality five times faster. I didn't take into account what the speed increase would do when suddenly IBrowse was downloading sites five times as fast! And with it was using five times as much data.

I also acquired a PCMCIA modem card but likewise lack of drivers prevented it's use. So it sat around in the "one day maybe" bag of hardware. I think it's still there.

Yeah I do agree that the AmigaOne has a kind of cult following. There's the Amiga people that stick to the real thing and enjoy that like we all used too be that with games or software and/or hardware. Amiga people who went over to emulation. Other Amiga people that moved on and embraced the AmigaOne with it's focus on the Amiga OS and developing that. And then there is a mix of all three (apart from other Amiganations--Amiga denoinations), whose Amiga use would encompas all three, at any one time. I suppose I would fall into the latter category. My main machine at home is an AmigaOne. And the AmigaOne lineage has continued with new machines over the years produced for the purpose of running AmigaOS4.

Posted on 28-May-2016 19:56:29
#43 ]

@Hypex

heh heh yea you're right.. i updated the subject to (solved) to let people know it was figured out. :)

Yea that would be cool to have that much data coming in for web :)

I ended up returning my 56k pcmcia card since i couldn't get it to work... IIRC it almost worked.. like i could get something from it but yea without a real driver it couldn't make the connection..

it's nice to see it still going. I wonder what the average age of the AmigaOne users is.. heh.. like are they all people in their 40's and older who remember / used the original hardware or are there any younger people who have managed to find some purpose in learning / using it.

Hypex 
Posted on 29-May-2016 16:03:22
#44 ]
Elite Member

@227

Yes I see it's solved now. That good.

It was cool having the speed increase even if now that speed looks lame. But just the other day I was pointing out that even fast 100Mbps cable only closely matches the speed of a 90's HD controller.

I had my AmigaOne up and running then. And got it online with Linux first. Think there was some driver or serial issue on OS4.

I think I experimented with my PCMCIA modem as well but wihout a proper driver soon gave up.

I'd say most AmigaOne users are in their 40's, like me, haha. And beyond in the 50's plus ranges. And there are some young guys around 30 either side. For some an AmigaOne or similar machine is their first Amiga experience.

Last edited by Hypex on 30-May-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle