Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  4 mins ago
 Swisso:  8 mins ago
 amigakit:  43 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 VooDoo:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  3 hrs 26 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  The new Commodore A1200 Reloaded! :-)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
TRIPOS 
Re: Decided! The new Amiga will be called...
Posted on 16-Nov-2016 15:42:11
#121 ]

@ErikBauer

Quote:

ErikBauer wrote:
@kyle

No Italian Layout....

BTW, White and Black layouts are just
Dark blue seems more Indigo/Violet to me

I don't think these images are actual photos, so they may not show the end result in 100% accuracy. But good enough to "get a hunch"...

Profile     Report this post  
TRIPOS 
Posted on 16-Nov-2016 15:53:40
#122 ]

@TRIPOS

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:
@IanP

Quote:

IanP wrote:
Philippe has stated in the kickstarter comments that if all stretch goals are met they can add even more layouts.

I don't see the problem really. Most keys will be the same, all key layouts will have the same basic keys "A", "B", "C" etc (multiplied by number of colors). Only one or a couple more keys needed per additional key layout, and this in turn only requires a few more prints on already existing plastics. Should hardly mean any extra cost at all.

Anyways, the kickstarter has already collected $45,130 SGD, which is almost half the goal in only a few days, so...

Another thing (that should be similarly easy to achieve IMHO) would be to enable any kind of color combinations within one key layout. So you could have other colors for the "peripheral" keys for example. Like shown in many of the "Special Edition" variants.

Speaking of that, here is a cool color combo IMHO, it's the Pix'N'Love SE key set but with a standard white case instead:

I think it brings a special "plastic retro" kind of feeling...

(If I could, I would opt-out on the printed space bars though (on all of the SE versions), I'd prefer a blank one instead)

TRIPOS 
Posted on 16-Nov-2016 17:18:05
#123 ]

@Chuckt

Quote:
Quote:

Chuckt wrote:
Where are users supposed to get a processor for this computer?

Why don't they just sell a complete unit instead of someone having to get a case and a processor, etc.?

The Commodore A1200 Reloaded is modular by concept. Don't want USB 2.0? Don't want 100Mbit ethernet? Fine, then you won't have to pay for that. What kind of monitor will you use? Choose the suitable video output (with suitable monitor connectors) accordingly! You also don't have to pay for a 020 CPU you will never use (if going for the 030 option from Individual Comouters or indeed some other A1200 CPU card), but the option of having a very low cost 020 A1200 solution is there as well, if this is what you want.

...and now that very low cost 020 option has actually materialized!

ACA1221ec budget accelerator available (for immediate delivery)!

ACA - the Amiga Classic Accelerator.

This accelerator comes with a 68ec020 processor (25MHz rating) and 16MBytes physical memory. 9MBytes of this physical memory can be used as fastmem, and up to 7 MBytes can be used as a ram disk. The CPU speed can be switched in four steps between 17.03MHz and 42.5MHz. Overclocking the card beyond 28.38MHz will require active cooling; operation at this high speed is not guaranteed.

ChipMem access speed has been greatly improved in comparison to the ACA1220, which will help eliminating the so-called "Turrican slowdowns" and other WHDload game hickups. Although the card is running asynchronously to the A1200, synchronous ChipMem speed can be achieved while maintaining full PCMCIA compatibility.

The ACA1221ec has much faster memory performance than most older designs with a 68020 processor. The modern 3.3V SD-Ram is clocked at over 85MHz, resulting in 0-waitstate access most of the times.

As with our previous ACA12xx accelerators, the ACA1221ec supports the popular 1MB Maprom option. Maprom allows you to increase ROM access speed by copying the Kickstart ROM into an especially-reserved memory space. This will improve real life performance considerably, but it will also enable you to load any higher version or patched version of a Kickstart ROM. The ACA1221ec is the first of our accelerators that supports MapROM at power-up: By setting a jumper, the Kickstart ROM is copied to the reserved space automatically, so you don't need to install any MapROM tool.

In addition to that, the ACA1221ec makes sure that the exec base in cacheable 32-bit fastmem. This is another "first" that we've introduced to the world of 68020/68030 accelerators for the A1200.

Another huge improvement over older accelerators is memory mapping to the legacy 0x00c0.0000 address. This is the location where many A500 games expect a trapdoor memory expansion. The ACA1221ec card gives a good compatibility boost only because of this little chunk of memory in the right place.

The ACA1221ec has two clock ports for expansions: The first clock port is mainly meant for an RTC module, but it can also be used to connect any clockport device that has been designed for the A1200. It's a straight copy of the A1200 internal clockport: Very early A1200 board versions do not have a usable clockport, so this port will come in handy for owners of such a board. More details about possibilities and limitations of this port can be found in our technical Wiki.

The second clockport is specifically designed for the RapidRoad USB host controller: It is considerably faster than a normal A1200 clock port, which will result in considerably higher USB transfer rates. This means you will be able to install USB in an A1200 without opening the computer! This port can also be used with a Subway USB controller.

(Read More)

The price for this is only €120!

IMHO, this is high value at very low cost, and it will be a great entry-point for Commodore A1200 Reloaded configurations! Of course it works in already existing A1200's as well!

The Commodore A1200 Reloaded will be A1200, done right!

Plain ACA1221ec:

ACA1221ec + Real Time Clock module:

ACA1221ec + Rapid Road USB 2.0 High Speed module:

ACA1221ec + RTC and Rapid Road modules:

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 16-Nov-2016 20:28:13
#124 ]

@TRIPOS

I have one of these cards in my A1200 right now and I'll post a review of it in the next few days. One of my reservations about the Reloaded motherboard is its reliance on the ACA accelerators, which do seem to be a bit odd in places.

Srtest 
Posted on 17-Nov-2016 23:59:33
#125 ]

@OlafS25

"I think people fortunately will have different choices, vampire cards in different original systems, standalone devices based on apollo core and this project. The first two try to lift the original system to a new level, a kind of "what could have been". This project seems more trying to be as original as possible. I think there is room and interest for both concepts, there are people who think FPGA-based solutions are not real enough, so those might prefer Reloaded instead.

Regarding NG I think all NG OSs inherited the limitations of 3.X for compatibility reasons and thus NG makes no real sense today. Of course it is possible to make a drastic cut to add modern features, the problem is where comes the new adapted software and will the old software run on it? But anyway... everyone can spend the money different"

Felt the need that my first post here would be about that repeated garbage. This is all I saw when I considered getting a X1000 and came here to see what was going on. I don't know who to thank that what I had on the Amiga years ago convinced me to skip all that blatant negative views that adhere to a nostalgia era by an opposite method of putting a hypothetical uber-dream computer and claiming current Amiga hardware isn't it, so you might as well stay in the past.

That is a lie! that supposed uber computer won't carry any devs back or bring new ones! that entire pc market is a hoax based on what is currently available while kids today go more and more for their smartphones and consoles. To claim it is a niche market vs a dominant market of PC is a repeated lie. Amigas have always went against both consoles and PCs from different perspective while claiming to be a great mix of the 2. That still hasn't changed and that rethoric about "modern" features is a farce. What are they? 64 bits? something that until this day most stuff I see on PC doesn't take advantage of or maybe recently started to because of consoles which drive the games market.

So it is all about market not hardware or being ahead of everyone else in terms of technology. Amiga is still much better at personal customization (without hacks and addons on other platforms) which can also offer something for the smartphone kids. I've been away for 20 years on that other platform and became sick with it and its so called "modern features". I'll take AOS on the X1000 every day, hour and second.

Last, that thechnological edge Intel supposed to have is no more than an optimization developed in my country that tipped the scale in her favor in a market that was a duopolly. Curious how you always hear about serious industries like those involving Nasa or militaries go for obsolete hardware like Amiga or Power platforms. It has nothing really new or ground breaking or with "modern features" except an ability to corner a market of consumers on the verge of going for tablets and consoles if given big enough screens and who are not getting info about alternatives.

You know why I have a PC and didn't pack it or sold it? games. I'm a gamer and so the market also cornerned me. Did that make me appreciate that other platform? more like Wintel had me suffer so I could continue with my Planescape Torment or PES. I'm playing Liverpool so I guess that makes sense. I rather not use computers than go back to them. Maybe that is the intention of the trollism that takes place here. I for once will keep enjoying the X1000 which I have been doing for the last 2 years much to the dismay of people trying to use the legacy Amiga against the current one that if I listened to wouldn't come close to this unmodern chariot with horses that I like and use every day.

Last edited by Srtest on 18-Nov-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Last edited by Srtest on 18-Nov-2016 at 12:01 AM.

Overflow 
Posted on 18-Nov-2016 0:12:15
#126 ]

@Srtest

The one thing that I would miss if I ditched my Wintel PC is youtube since I enjoy watching News channels and speeches/discussions (Im a politics nut).

And downloading movie files (documentaries) on my A600 with the current limitations would take all day and night.

But I agree with you:

Whatever platform works for you, regardless of what other people consider modern, is a good enough platform.

Personally I could see myself finding Vampire 1200 good enough for all my needs, Ill just get a bigger monitor, to offset the lack of dual monitors (that X1000/5000 can use thru dual graphics cards).

Enjoy your AOS 4 expirience buddy :)

Beans 
Posted on 18-Nov-2016 0:34:35
#127 ]

@Srtest

+1

modern enough

Srtest 
Posted on 18-Nov-2016 12:15:21
#128 ]

@Overflow

Well man, Youtube here on the X1000 on AOS-FE with the latest in compositing + mplayer works phenomenal both via the YT script on oddysey or via Smtube. Remember computing in the last 15 years really tipped the scale in favour of the gpu which AmigaOnes support quite well considering. So I don't need no stinkin' Wintel. Well just to play Liverpool with Suarez... I'm kidding right now it is all about Underrail - a game that is so Amiga it hurts my brain thinking about it. I bet it can work on Nova.
Of course the Linux side works even better when functional, which seems will not happen any time soon for SI cards as far as I can see. But we are on Amiga last time I checked.

Oh, living in Israel you get to be a political nut even if you're not, so I can tell you the tube works great

From what you call the "ng" side it was never about this rather than that. For the last 2 years that kind of talk always appeared to come from one direction (sorry about those last 2 words

Thank you, I will!

Edit:

Just to clear matters up - I am not against this project by any means. Diversity can be great if it is built on a common ground. I just had enough as a spectator here about those types of comments.

Last edited by Srtest on 18-Nov-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Last edited by Srtest on 18-Nov-2016 at 12:16 PM.

amenofis 
Posted on 18-Nov-2016 12:40:32
#129 ]

@TRIPOS

Quote:
I don't see the problem really. Most keys will be the same, all key layouts will have the same basic keys "A", "B", "C" etc (multiplied by number of colors). Only one or a couple more keys needed per additional key layout, and this in turn only requires a few more prints on already existing plastics. Should hardly mean any extra cost at all.

Hello there ;)

Keycaps are not printed one by one, but each full keyboard layout is printed at a time.
This requires a Keyboard layout setup being tooled for each languages.
So indeed there is extra cost and that's the reason why there is stretch goals.

If they were no extra costs you can be sure we would have added ALL layouts from within campaign Goal ;)

By the way, ITALIAN Layout has been added :)

Thank you for your support, we need you!

Campaign Link: AMIGA KEYCAPS CAMPAIGN

Cheers,
Phil

pavlor 
Posted on 18-Nov-2016 15:21:27
#130 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

Welcome!

ErikBauer 
Posted on 18-Nov-2016 19:10:01
#131 ]

@amenofis

Quote:

amenofis wrote:
@TRIPOS

Quote:

Hello there ;)

Keycaps are not printed one by one, but each full keyboard layout is printed at a time.
This requires a Keyboard layout setup being tooled for each languages.
So indeed there is extra cost and that's the reason why there is stretch goals.

If they were no extra costs you can be sure we would have added ALL layouts from within campaign Goal ;)

By the way, ITALIAN Layout has been added :)

Thank you for your support, we need you!

Campaign Link: AMIGA KEYCAPS CAMPAIGN

Cheers,
Phil

COOL! Thank you!

Check my Amiga gameplays (ITA)!

TRIPOS 
Posted on 20-Nov-2016 16:17:33
#132 ]

@DrBombcrater

Quote:

DrBombcrater wrote:
@TRIPOS

I have one of these cards in my A1200 right now and I'll post a review of it in the next few days.

Very interesting, looking forward to it!

Do you have the USB2 add-on as well?

Quote:
One of my reservations about the Reloaded motherboard is its reliance on the ACA accelerators, which do seem to be a bit odd in places.

What do you mean?

TRIPOS 
Posted on 20-Nov-2016 16:23:01
#133 ]

@amenofis

Thanks for the clarification and the updates!

$56,268 now!

Rob 
Posted on 20-Nov-2016 20:50:22
#134 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

It will be interesting to see what transfer rates the Rapidroad will be capable of when connected to the ACA1221ec's dedicated clockport.

Jens doesn't quote any figures on his website but FitzSteve reviewed the rapid road both running on his A1200 and A4000 with the card connected to and X-Surf 100.

The A1200 had a Blizzard 1230 IV @ 50Mhz and achieved transfer rates of around 700KB/s on the standard clockport.

On the A4000 he got transfer rates of around 6MB/s via the X-Surf. It's not mention what CPU is in the A4000.

http://www.fitzstevesamigaworld.co.uk/?p=253

TRIPOS 
Posted on 4-Dec-2016 21:59:20
#135 ]

@TRIPOS

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:

$56,268 now!

Merely a quarter remaining: S$76,535 collected as of now!

Also, it is now possible to chose any Dual Colored Layout keyboard combinations from the Regular colors chart!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/a1200housing/new-compatible-keycaps-for-amiga-computers

TRIPOS 
Posted on 19-Dec-2016 17:56:06
#136 ]

@TRIPOS

Only about $15,000 Singapore Dollars to go for the key-caps kickstarter now!

And how about this color scheme?

"CD32 Special Color Scheme Keycaps:
Color Scheme is Exclusive for the duration of this campaign!
This layout will be AVAILABLE through RMI as a REGULAR color.
-> New A1200 SE CD32 Cases will be available to backers Q1-2017."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/a1200housing/new-compatible-keycaps-for-amiga-computers

Overflow 
Posted on 19-Dec-2016 18:12:42
#137 ]

@TRIPOS

The CD32 colorscheme is actually VERY stylish. Perfect look imho!

Beans 
Posted on 19-Dec-2016 18:21:06
#138 ]

@TRIPOS

Oh, I LIKE that!
It looks remarkably modern.

saimon69 
Posted on 19-Dec-2016 18:33:48
#139 ]

Something that is not clear to me is that ok, we have the case and we have the keys but i wonder who will make a keyboard membrane good for replacements or to be interfaced in FPGA or other kind of machines? I know for sure there is a strong need for those components too

TRIPOS 
Posted on 19-Dec-2016 19:19:42
#140 ]

@saimon69

Quote:

saimon69 wrote:
Something that is not clear to me is that ok, we have the case and we have the keys but i wonder who will make a keyboard membrane good for replacements or to be interfaced in FPGA or other kind of machines? I know for sure there is a strong need for those components too

The actual keyboard is AFAIK an unsolved issue, and I am not aware of anyone looking into solving it either. I suppose you have to use an existing one.

The same goes for the new C64's I think, but the new C64's will not even have new key caps AFAIK, so you'll have to use an old one, complete with any yellowing, wear and tear it may come with.

I totally agree with the need for keyboards! Without it, it's not really complete, and the idea of a completely new A1200 (or C64 for that matter) kind of falls short.

But who knows what will happen a bit further down the road? Reverse-engineering/making new keyboards should IMHO be a lesser challenge, at least when the actual key caps already exists.

https://frontier.town/2014/04/reverse-engineering-amiga-600-keyboard/

Maybe this will be a third kickstarter?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle