Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 36 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 23 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 eliyahu:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  4 hrs 18 mins ago
 Marcian:  5 hrs 23 mins ago
 michalsc:  5 hrs 24 mins ago
 vox:  6 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Raspberry Pi 3
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
bison 
Re: Raspberry Pi 3
Posted on 13-Nov-2016 3:20:37
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

I'm curious about the RiscOS picture. It's too small to see clearly (at least for me!), but it appears that there are two icons on the left side of the title-bar and two on the right -- what do they do?

Profile     Report this post  
fishy_fis 
Posted on 13-Nov-2016 3:55:33
#22 ]
Elite Member

I wanted/want to like RiscOS, but try as I might I just can't get my head around it.
Its very simple to use, but that's part of the reason it confuses me. I can't find any "power" behind it. Surely its not as basic as it appears on the surface?

Signal 
Posted on 13-Nov-2016 14:18:25
#23 ]
Cult Member

@bison

Quote:

bison wrote:
@Signal

I'm curious about the RiscOS picture. It's too small to see clearly (at least for me!), but it appears that there are two icons on the left side of the title-bar and two on the right -- what do they do?

I don't know how to do a screengrab with RiscOS so that picture was taken with a webcam.

The TitleBar icons (gadgets);
Far left - Leftclick = window behind. Rightclick = window to front.
Next - Close App window.
Far right - ? It changes the shape of the window or returns it to it's default ?
Next - Window to icon on screen..

Bottom right - Drag to size and shape.

Signal 
Posted on 13-Nov-2016 15:11:01
#24 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
I wanted/want to like RiscOS, but try as I might I just can't get my head around it.
Its very simple to use, but that's part of the reason it confuses me. I can't find any "power" behind it. Surely its not as basic as it appears on the surface?

If like me you're running it on a RPi3 then some things are missing due to the change in the ARM design for dual core. Some of the single core apps still work and most are either being fixed or redone. The core change eliminated a few of the ROM functions but they are being worked on. If I had knowen that I would have got a RPi2, but this is interesting enough to stay with the model 3.

I also have a BeagleBone Black and soon will try the available RiscOS for that. That one is single core.

Probably the most confusing part for me was getting used to a three button mouse. At least the OS is moving along.

One of the nice things about these boards is that they use the same graphics and sound. So no need to have development going in three, five, x, different directions and slowing everything down.

Back to the keyboard

Signal 
Posted on 14-Nov-2016 21:01:56
#25 ]
Cult Member

@

Finally figured out how to take a screenshot. Much improved over using a webcam.

RiscOS with QupZilla

bison 
Posted on 15-Nov-2016 3:22:04
#26 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

I don't know how RiscOS is to use, but it sure does look nice. I think the world needs yet another X11 window manger that looks like this.

Signal 
Posted on 31-Dec-2016 18:18:53
#27 ]
Cult Member

@
While tinkering around with the GPIOs on the RPi3 and wondering if there were other ways of controlling them other than the supplied 3 or 4 I discovered there are at least 13 different languages for doing so.

These include C, C# , Ruby, Perl, Python, java, Pascal, and at least 3 BASICs + the standard Linux shell.

I have tried only Ruby, C, shell, Scratch, and bwBASIC. They all work. There is also a lower level BASIC called FUZE that looks interesting. Do to the way different languages, and their interperters (if used) work output frequencies range from ~12kHz up to ~44MHz.

Theremin anyone?

Signal 
Posted on 19-Jan-2017 14:46:44
#28 ]
Cult Member

I increased the RPi3 CPU speed from 700MHz to 1000MHz and it really made a good difference to the device.
It also has minimal affect on CPU heat, I can still put my finger on the chip without burning the logo into it.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 20-Jan-2017 8:35:38
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Little bit confused here. RPI3 default clock speed is 1.2ghz.
Its no wonder running it at 1ghz is fine. :)

amyren 
Posted on 20-Jan-2017 12:44:34
#30 ]

@Signal

It is amazing indeed what you can get for your money these days.
I can agree that the Raspberry pi is cheap if you think of it buying yourself a hobby, considering all the cool things you can do with it.
But lots of hardware is cheap these days, and I think you can find hardware with better specs than the raspberry even cheaper.

For the bare board price of the raspberry you can for example get one of those android tv-boxes with amilogic S905 2ghz cpu, 4k ready, with wifi/BT/USB /LAN, 1GB RAM/8GM storage. It comes built in a case with powersupply, HDMI cable and a remote control, all ready to use. If you add the price of those extra accessories you will need for a Pi, you can choose a model with more Ram and storage.

You probably cant customize these boxes software as you can with the Pi, but it depends on what you are after. On the other hand there is a lot of android software available, and you can even get usb GPIO modules for it now.

I have one of the earlier Pi model B lying around. And I had my fun with it, even had the GPIO module for it. But after a while it ended up as a mediabox running kodi, and after that it ended up in a drawer somewhere.

Signal 
Posted on 20-Jan-2017 14:03:14
#31 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

Yes, the clock runs at that speed.

Take a look in /boot/config.txt and find a line,

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
arm_freq=1000

Perhaps I have a later model pi and things may be different. ?

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 21-Jan-2017 10:48:01
#32 ]

If someone is interested in a Pi3 and AEROS :
If you buy one, you get access to AEROS Plus download version too

A lot people upgraded to the XU4 version of the indieGO so I have those taking dust now.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=152404405045

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 21-Jan-2017 at 10:48 AM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 22-Jan-2017 5:41:26
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

700mhz is the clock speed of the original pi. The rpi3 is a 1.2ghz CPU.
Seems you've been running yours underclocked. :)

Signal 
Posted on 29-Jan-2017 14:22:51
#34 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

That is the way PixilOS is configured when downloaded. Anybody running a RPi3 may think they are slow due to this.
Right now I'm posting this with the RPi networked thru a router using VNC on a Linux box. It is more than fast enough for the job since upping the CPU speed.

Signal 
Posted on 31-Jan-2017 14:17:41
#35 ]
Cult Member

This is a cross post from hyperion forum.

AW.net seems to be down at this time.

Quote:
How do I know whether it is running currently at 700 or at 800? Do I really want to overclock, and would I do that by dropping the "#" and changing to "arm_freq=1200"?

Yes, that is how it's done. The only time I have had a heat problem running at 1200 is when using a webcam.
Try 1000 first, it may be enough.

A few things you should do after that. Open a Terminal and do 'sudo apt-get update', then 'sudo apt-get upgrade'. That will keep you current.

You are going to need a COM program. Open the Add/Remove Software app, which is Synaptic, and type 'cutecom' into the search, when located check the little box to install then click 'apply', answer Y to the question that should appear.

Reboot, then again in a terminal 'sudo apt-get autoremove'. That will cleanup things that are no longer used and just taking up space.

Plug in the FTDI cable.

Even though the install of cutecom adds a menu item it does not work on mine at least. So to start it open a terminal, type cutecom, hit Enter.

The device you will be using is /dev/ttyUSB0, you will probably have to type that in. Then set 115200 for Baud rate, 8 bits, 1bit, no parity, no handshake, open for Read and write, and check Apply settings when opening. Click Open Device.

If all goes well the program should capture data when you turn on your x1k. (You could also try it on your SAM).

If it works you can save the input by adding something like /home/pi/Documents/cutelog.txt to the Log to: box. (Watch your caps when entering the directories)

I probably forgot something(?).

kilaueabart 
Posted on 2-Feb-2017 2:19:22
#36 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

I've already responded to this, elsewhere. But once again I am able to log on to Amigaworld.net, and again I get thanked for logging on, and listed as a member logged on, I am pessimistic about being able to post to it.

(Edit) Well, hooray! Sorry to have wasted the space, but there was no difference at first from yesterday and the day before.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 02-Feb-2017 at 02:20 AM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 5-Feb-2017 1:22:43
#37 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
OK, here are two of those many questions.
1. Why can't I get my e-mail sites?

For both gmail.hawaii.edu and gmail.com, I get an error page with a red lock icon with an "X" init, then "Your connection is not private" below which "Attackers might be trying to steal your information from mail.google.com ... NET_ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID"

Clicking an "ADVANCED" link gets "... the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when ... a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. ..."

"... will probably work later." But it never does.

It doesn't seem like this would be a rpi problem, except that I have no trouble getting on line from my tablets or phone.

2. How can I set the clock? My clock insists it is 26 November 2106, 01:41. The time changes minute by minute. I can't remember if the day does or not, but I would like to bring it up to the present.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 05-Feb-2017 at 01:51 AM.

Signal 
Posted on 5-Feb-2017 2:37:25
#38 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

There are two settings in the Preferences Menu.

RaspberryPi Settings and Time and Date.

If under Time and Date you select Manual a window will open for you to set things. If 'Keep synced with Internet servers' is selected then the only thing you should have to worry about is setting your TimeZone in the RaspberryPi Preferences.

Perhaps not having these set proper is causing the other problem(?).

kilaueabart 
Posted on 8-Feb-2017 20:16:34
#39 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
Something not gibing here. Under Preferences I have six items,

Add / Remove Software
Appearance Settings
Audio Device Settings
Keyboard and Mouse
Main Menu Editor
Raspberry Pi Configuration

That last one sounds like the "RaspberryPi Settings" you mention, but no sign of "Time and Date."

I successfully set my Timezone the first time I ran the OS, but I wish I could find a way to sync with internet servers.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 9-Feb-2017 0:52:29
#40 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

NTP should be running already - it's installed by default on the Raspbian image (the Pi has no hardware clock, unless you buy or build one).

Check the service is running:
sudo systemctl status ntp

Check it is syncing:
ntpq -p

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle