Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
43 crawler(s) on-line.
 55 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  4 mins ago
 cdimauro:  42 mins ago
 bhabbott:  59 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 gonegahgah:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 agami:  5 hrs 53 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Raspberry Pi 3
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Signal 
Re: Raspberry Pi 3
Posted on 1-Apr-2017 20:54:01
#81 ]
Cult Member

@ne_one

Quote:

ne_one wrote:
This might be covered elsewhere in the thread but is anyone running UAE on an RP3?

FS-UAE is available through RPi package manager. I have no interest.

Profile     Report this post  
kilaueabart 
Posted on 2-Apr-2017 0:07:43
#82 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
OK, that sounds good, so I have just downloaded AmiVNC4 from OS4Depot. Next I'll need to figure out if I need to do a similar down load on the RPi3. I assume I will need internet on both machines simultaneously. That might be tricky. But it would (will?) sure be great not to have to shift all those cables from SAM460 to that little guy and back all the time!

I still have two questions. Where does "for 40 bucks" come in? AmiVNC4 was free. Is that what you paid for your RPi3? I paid $74, but I have seen it advertised on Amazon for $11, I think. Second question: How did you do that Puppy Linux thing? I looked through the Add/Remove Software for a while this morning with no hit.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 2-Apr-2017 3:09:39
#83 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
OK, I found that I can now use Wi-fi OK on the RPi3, and save the wired connection for the SAM. But I believe I need a VNC server rather than the client VNC Viewer that came with my RPi3, but I haven't been able to find one for sure in Add/Remove Software.

And I wonder how long it will take me to figure out how to find this guy's IP address?

Cass 
Posted on 2-Apr-2017 11:34:29
#84 ]

@kilaueabart

For the VNC server:
Preferences->RaspberryPi Configuration
Interfaces (Tab)-> VNC Enabled (tick)

Regarding the IP address, check your router`s settings or check previous posts.

Signal 
Posted on 2-Apr-2017 17:10:31
#85 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:
@Signal
OK, I found that I can now use Wi-fi OK on the RPi3, and save the wired connection for the SAM. But I believe I need a VNC server rather than the client VNC Viewer that came with my RPi3, but I haven't been able to find one for sure in Add/Remove Software.

And I wonder how long it will take me to figure out how to find this guy's IP address?

40 bucks? That's what the basic RPi3 cost me with shipping. Of course I ordered a bunch of other stuff along with it and I think the total was around $90.

Like @Cass wrote the Pi VNC server is built in. Put a checkmark.

You can look in the router for the IP address or, if you still have the Pi on a monitor, open a terminal and type, ifconfig -a , and it should show you both eth0 and wlan0. The eth0 line that says inet addr xxx.xxx.x.x is what you should use. ( Notice the wlan0 inet address is different.)

I'm using TwinVNC on the Amiga, I have not tried AmiVNC, but I will. If you use TwinVNC do not bother with the GUI program on OS4depot.

Having FUN yet?

Right now I'm rebuilding a 3.10.105 kernel for my Linux Mintppc 11 on the X1000 and getting rid of the built in IntelHD audio since the Amiga side sucks and all the sound will be on a trusty-dusty SB0220 card.

Puppy Linux is something I ran into while snooping around the net. It works, and it's fast, but no where near the class of PIXIL when it comes to functional use of the Pi's
available resources. My advice, don't go there, but if you do just grab the image and dd it to a spare microSD, insert and switch on. Something to do when your totally bored.

If you decide to use TwinVNC let us know if you have problems with setup.

EDIT: Looks like AmiVNC is a server. You will need a client. TwinVNC.

Last edited by Signal on 02-Apr-2017 at 07:32 PM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 3-Apr-2017 1:26:34
#86 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Quote:
Looks like AmiVNC is a server. You will need a client. TwinVNC.
Yes, I had finally caught on to that, and started looking, unsuccessfully, for a server. All I found was vva, something for OS3.0 that I had tried out years ago, but I don't remember why any more, or whether it worked. Doesn't look good for this project.

I'll look for TwinVNC in a moment. I did find the IP address I need, assuming that is the one labeled "inet addr:"

I thank you and Cass for the quick assistance.

Bart

BoingBear 
Posted on 3-Apr-2017 7:12:09
#87 ]

@Signal

Quote:

Signal wrote:
@BoingBear

It is the RPi3 running on a VNC connection on a X1000. It does run at decently fast speeds, not super, but more than usable. For 40 bucks? It is just great.

I do not have the RPi connected to a monitor, thats all through the X1k and its sound is plugged into the Line input on the X1Ks SBLive!

One click and it's up and running. Sure beats having to reboot to use Linux.

Ahhhh! I should have looked at a full screen size picture of your screen grab, and I would have seen you were running VNC. Thanks, I'll have to think about doing something like that, but I only have version 2 of the RPi, not the RPi3.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 3-Apr-2017 7:18:21
#88 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Maybe there is more to setting up TwinVNC than was obvious to me. I fed it my new "raspberry"-substitute password and "192.," etc., and it added a ":5900" to the numbers and said it was connecting, but it finally gave up, unable to find something to link to.

Or maybe it's that I didn't pay enough attention to this part of your note:
Quote:
You can look in the router for the IP address or, if you still have the Pi on a monitor, open a terminal and type, ifconfig -a , and it should show you both eth0 and wlan0. The eth0 line that says inet addr xxx.xxx.x.x is what you should use. ( Notice the wlan0 inet address is different.)

It wasn't the the eth0 line that I used; it doesn't have anything like inet addr xxx.xxx.x.x. I used the inet addr 192.168.200.15 from wlan0. There is also a "lo" section with a "inet addr:127.0.0.1.

I had already worried a bit about whether having one machine on wired internet (I haven't been able to get wi-fi on the SAM460) and one on wi-fi might not actually put them in different realms, out of communication with each other. If necessary I think I can find a second internet cable for the rpi3.

I ended up switching the monitor back to the rpi3 if only because I understand that this machine must always be shut down before removing power from it.

Signal 
Posted on 3-Apr-2017 23:20:13
#89 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

On the RPi3,

If there is no active connection the VNC square icon on the right side of the toolbar will have a white background. It turns black when a connection is made.

If the Ethernet cable is plugged in and you Left click on the VNC icon you can see what URL number it is using. Mine is 192.168.1.3. That is the Server URL. The password can also be changed from that page.

Click the Green checkmark and more info is available.

The VNC viewer, TwinVNC, is on Amiga. Try the following.

Open the TwinVNC0.8beta drawer and Double click the TwinVNC icon

In the popup enter the eth0 URL of the RPi3.

Now enter the VNC password you setup on the Pi. Do not connect yet.

Click Options.

Codecs tab
Like Server Scale 1
Encoder Tight 2 Check both boxes
Encoder parameters all unchecked.

Misc tab
Check Shared remote control and Report mouse move from server.

Display tab
Local Display, Window, check Show toolbar.
View parameters, Scaled, check Smooth.

Screen para.
Auto-detect screen mode.

Customize topaz.font/8

Now click Save As and give your setup a name like, RPi3VNC.

You should now be able to double click the new icon and connect.

??

kilaueabart 
Posted on 4-Apr-2017 3:32:53
#90 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
Clicking the VNC thing brought me the same number I had with ifconfig -a: 192.168.200.158. I switched the modem to the SAM and started it, went to TwinVNC and set up my RPi3VNC (so I'm a copycat) with only changing View parameters to Scaled and checking Smooth.

When I clicked the new icon, the IP number was 192.162.200.15. Obviously I had made a mistake yesterday, 162 for 168. I changed that, entered my Pi password (I assume that is the password I should use? It used to be "Raspberry") and clicked Connect. The response was immediate: "Error Disconnected." I take that as meaning that it recognized the number, but something else was wrong. With a wrong number, it just keeps looking for a connection.

Back on the RPi3, I click the green check mark and the Diagnostics tab. Interesting:
Quote:
Connection attempts:
3 Successful connections: 0
Identity: "Gimbal night Rufus. Slalom forest cubic" (signature a7-f4-4d-f0-4f-e8-2a-ab)
Capture Method: 0
Update check succeeded on 2017-04-02T04:19:31Z
Proxy: System

Well, the first line, at least, is interesting. I only understand that one, and the next.

What next? Is it a password problem? I didn't find a way to set/reset a password, just to choose between sudo and something else. I chose the sudo.

Last edited by kilaueabart on 04-Apr-2017 at 07:54 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 4-Apr-2017 20:25:53
#91 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

A bit of confusion there,,, or here.

What is this," I switched the modem to the SAM and started it, ".?

The SAM and the RPi3 must both be WIRED into the LAN. Weather it is a router or modem/router. Trying to use wireless (wlan0) would probably require sending the wireless network name (SSID) and it's password and then the RPi3 VNCpassword each time you attempt a connection. Just not going to work well.

The VNC server (RPi3) has it's own VNCpassword. Not the same as the OS password.
So, if the RPi3 VNC is broadcasting on 192,168.200.158 then TwinVNC needs to monitor 192.168.200.158, and send the PRi3 VNCpassword to the RPi3 to make the connection.

Your modem, or router, how many wired inputs does it have?

If it only has the ISP internet connection and one wired connection for a computer then you will need a multiport router to plug into that one computer connection and then plug your computers into the router.

Right now I have a Netgear WNDR3400v3 router cabled into my ISPs wired/wireless modem. The Netgear also has wireless but all of the devices using the Netgear send their stuff through the one cable to the modem.

Raffaele 
Posted on 5-Apr-2017 10:47:35
#92 ]

@thread

There are many Raspberry clones out there... I wonder why none proposed a Raspberry on a Zorro III expansion card, working as a Bridgeboard or a Vortex card.

Check the thread I just got open to talk about this solution topic:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=41743&forum=2

Signal 
Posted on 5-Apr-2017 20:50:24
#93 ]
Cult Member

@Thread
Today I connected the X1000 serial port to the RPi3 using a USB converter.

On Mintppc and the RPi3 I used Cutecom to transfer files both ways. OS4 does not seem to have a working serial terminal that I could find.

I'm going to look into curl and see if that will work for OS4.

Any suggestions are welcome.

lylehaze 
Posted on 6-Apr-2017 0:18:41
#94 ]

@Signal

"Term" works. It has a couple minor, ignorable issues, and it is not "modern looking", but it's serial handling is still best in class.

As I recall, there was some font issue, and it will always suggest running with handshaking at higher baud rates. My experience has been that it's rock solid.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 6-Apr-2017 2:10:44
#95 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
I guess I had been too encouraged by the fact that the Rpi3 server could detect connection attempts when I entered the correct password in TwinVNC even though Rpi3 was only on wi-fi. But anyway, I decided before booting today that I would try a wired connection instead of wi-fi, sadly, because I kind of like being able to use wi-fi. In any event, I did so and got a new ip # from VNC Server on the Rpi3: 192.168.1.100.

Then I scurried back to the SAM and tried that number. The same result as with wi-fi: "Error / Disconnected"!

I logged into my router. It agrees that 192.168.1.100 is the right number. But it says there could be a total of three, 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.102. Just for the heck of it I tried the other two, with mixed results. With ....101, it said something like "nothing to connect to," and with ....102 it said "Connecting to 192.168.1.102:5900 until it finally gave up.

VNC Server apparently forgot the 11 connection attempts it had counted yesterday and noted only the five attempts I had made today, with ....100.

Feeling a bit discouraged here. I really thought connecting through the modem was going to work.

Incidentally, I noticed a test on VNC Server that I hadn't seen before and ran it. I don't suppose it really applies to my situation, but just in case, here are the results, which I don't quite understand yet:
Quote:
Connection test failed.

VNC Server appears to be behind a NAT router with IP address
141.239.151.234. You will need to configure that router to
forward port 5900 to this computer before you can establish
direct connections to VNC Server over the Internet.

Signal 
Posted on 6-Apr-2017 18:22:41
#96 ]
Cult Member

@lylehaze

Thanks Lyle, I'll give it a try.

Signal 
Posted on 6-Apr-2017 18:59:30
#97 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:
@Signal

Connection test failed.

VNC Server appears to be behind a NAT router with IP address
141.239.151.234. You will need to configure that router to
forward port 5900 to this computer before you can establish
direct connections to VNC Server over the Internet.

That 141 number looks like your ISPs address.

On the RPi left click the VNC icon and get the connectivity number. example URL 192.168.1.100

Then on OS4 open Ranger,select the Network tab and look at the Host Address. example URL 192.168.1.101

While still on amiga, open a shell and type;
ping 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is the last three of the RPi.
If Amiga is getting to RPi then you should be getting lines of output.
use Ctrl c to stop.

Then back to RPi open a shell and ping the Amiga URL. Same type of output should occur.

If they both send out a ping and get back an echo then that part is working.

Your router may be assigning URLs by whichever computer is online first over the wired connections.

As a test, turn on one computer, see what URL it gets assigned, then turn that one off, wait a few minutes and turn on the other computer and again check its URL.

Some moden/router or routers remember the MAC numbers of computers and try to assign the same URL to that machine. Others are stupid.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 6-Apr-2017 22:12:33
#98 ]
Cult Member

@Signal
The Amiga is 192.168.1.101 and Rpi3 is 192.168.1.100 whichever one I boot first. Both machines ping the other with no problems.

I had previously noticed that if I gave an incorrect address number in TwinVNC it would spend some time trying to connect before admitting it couldn't find a host. Maybe I hadn't tried a phony password before. When I tried that this morning, I got the same "Disconnected" that I got with the correct address and correct password, so I thought maybe I had mis-remembered my VNC password. I changed the password in VNC and tried the new one from TwinVNC. Still the same "Disconnected."

My DSL modem is a Motorola one supplied by my landline phone company. It has four sockets, but I use only one, which connects to a powerline adapter. The receiving adapter connects to a Linksys router which also has four ports. I now use two of them. I don't imagine this has anything to do with my "Disconnected"s though. Maybe time to just give up.\

I just used some of my Amazon rewards points to order an HDMI splitter. I've had about enough switching the HDMI cables. The keyboard and trackball are much easier.

Kronos 
Posted on 7-Apr-2017 13:09:09
#99 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:

kilaueabart wrote:

My DSL modem is a Motorola one supplied by my landline phone company. It has four sockets,

Which means it ain't just a modem, but a router.

Quote:

but I use only one, which connects to a powerline adapter. The receiving adapter connects to a Linksys router which also has four ports. I now use two of them.

2 ports on 1 router or 2 routers ?

Eitherway having more than 1 active router in a network can run into problems.

Check what happens when you plug the rPI directly into your "modem" or the powerline (keep the Linksys disconnected). If that helps replace the Linksys with a switch (just not one by Nintendo ).

Signal 
Posted on 7-Apr-2017 13:56:28
#100 ]
Cult Member

@Kronos

That's a good test.

@kilaueabart

"Disconnected"

(To Myself thinking) What's "Disconnected"

That is usually a message you get when "Disconnected" from the Internet, not from a router.

Is your Amiga able to connect and browse the Internet?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle