Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

OneTimer1,  Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  15 secs ago
 OneTimer1:  3 mins ago
 matthey:  43 mins ago
 outlawal2:  52 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Luc:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga news and coverage is failing slightly on this site.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
PR 
Re: Amiga news and coverage is failing slightly on this site.
Posted on 4-Dec-2016 16:21:27
#21 ]

Personal Paint for NG Amigas.

WB 3.xx?

Profile     Report this post  
uponthevoid 
Posted on 4-Dec-2016 16:26:47
#22 ]

@amigang

I used to enjoy the Facebook groups to some extent because they are so frequently posted in but it's increasingly become less about news/discussion and more about the kinda "everyone look, I've got more Amigas than I know what to do with!" attitude and I found that off-putting. For genuinely useful and helpful stuff I still use forums

amigasociety 
Posted on 4-Dec-2016 17:40:25
#23 ]
Cult Member

@amigang

I find Facebook fun for quick updates, intros, whats up with my amiga life, kinda stuff. Quick little blurbs are easy to post there.

Forums are much better for more deeper discussions on issues, fixes, and all is searchable to offer real substance in the end. When I want real data, I come here. When I want to see how my friends are doing in life, including some up to the minute amigadom, I like Facebook.

They both have their places and I enjoy both.

TJ

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 4-Dec-2016 18:19:33
#24 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Yes things are moving forward, we need more software ported from AmigaOS 2.xx / 3.xx

Beans 
Posted on 4-Dec-2016 19:00:42
#25 ]

@PR

Doesn't Blender have a painting/design module?

eliyahu 
Posted on 4-Dec-2016 19:36:55
#26 ]

@PR

i don't understand what your post is supposed to mean. do you mean you want ppaint for NG amigas and a new workbench?

-- eliyahu

TRIPOS 
Posted on 4-Dec-2016 21:35:43
#27 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:

eliyahu wrote:
@PR

do you mean ... a new workbench?

Hyperion Entertainment recently released a new, updated one:
http://hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php/where-to-buy/direct-downloads/171-workbench-31-4043-for-desktop-amiga

Then there is one Workbench 3.1 from Cloanto as well, that also has a few critical updates but more subtle ones in comparison, and that uses original Commodore binaries for everything else. Suitable for those wanting it "original", since preserving things as original as possible is a key feature of everything in Amiga Forever. The most feature rich (still published) Workbench version however, is version 3.X (capital X), also from Cloanto. Available in the excellent Amiga Forever package!

kolla 
Posted on 4-Dec-2016 23:53:28
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:

In my totally meaningless POV and opinion there is no Next Generation Amiga.

I totally agree, the technical limitations of the so called Amiga NG operating systems are exactly the same as for the so called Classic Amiga operating system, they are in all essence the same.

duga 
Posted on 5-Dec-2016 7:17:43
#29 ]

Just merge the two sites. Phase out amiga.org and forward that URL to this site.

Signal 
Posted on 5-Dec-2016 13:55:51
#30 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
@Signal

Quote:

In my totally meaningless POV and opinion there is no Next Generation Amiga.

I totally agree, the technical limitations of the so called Amiga NG operating systems are exactly the same as for the so called Classic Amiga operating system, they are in all essence the same.

When I think of "NG Amiga" it is like THIS.
The OS need not be open, but rather controlled. Kind of like Python or RiscOS. The owners get paid as custodians and for new features/upgrades/ports/etc..

No Amiga hardware. . . . . . . No Amiga.

wawa 
Posted on 5-Dec-2016 15:27:05
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Signal

Quote:
The OS need not be open, but rather controlled. Kind of like Python or RiscOS. The owners get paid as custodians and for new features/upgrades/ports/etc..

atari.. they actually have an open os, which, contrary as it may seem to be the case with aros in amiga scene is well recognized and fluorish, enabling them as far as i know for instance to use coldfire hardware.

this said i dont actually opt for opening up amiga-os. i wouldnt actually mind the development to be closed at all, if there was a healthy team or company behind it. but since it has repeatedly proven not to be the case, i consider an open system almost a necessity to attract more productive users if not developers. however one way or the other its probably too late, except perhaps projects like vampire will add some current to the dim waters.

Last edited by wawa on 05-Dec-2016 at 03:27 PM.

Srtest 
Posted on 6-Dec-2016 1:34:54
#32 ]

@ne_one

Maybe 3.1 was so good and more than that had an identity of its own (as the original design relied more on kickstart), that when it became more separated from the hardware it was a part of a natural process. Perhaps you need to stabilize hardware before moving in different directions, and moving in different directions can both be seen as stemming from the chatter and attributing to it, as seen from the way Hyp keeps changing forms of communication and delivery of updates.

Srtest 
Posted on 6-Dec-2016 1:40:54
#33 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I wonder if making the base platform more portable can be like hitting that ball simultaneously. from two angles as being for 2.xx/3.xx and from them, while using some outside projects as a link between it and emulation (as a tool). Right now even the structure of citing sources, delivering news and archiving is very divided.

Hypex 
Posted on 6-Dec-2016 13:41:16
#34 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

Regarding posting photos. I have one word here. Files.

Working with files is annoying. So you have this photo file you want to use. What's that cryptic file name again? Then you find you can't upload it. Because like every forum it doesn't accept pictures. They must be linked to some third party site. So you then upload to an image site or FTP to your own web space. Damn now you need the exact URL.

Taking Facebook as an example. You type some stuff. Press a photo button. Usually visually pick a photo. Upload. Done.

See how easy that is? Forums are far behind. Way behind. And even the ones that have some support for photos, still complcated, tend to give nonsense errors for media files attached. Such as oversize but not telling you the file was too big by so much. Computers aren't exactly clear when they are programmed by humans.

The other day I wanted to post to an FB group. And attach a photo I took as well as locate one on the internet to complement it. Even using my fiddly fone, I was able to achieve all that in about five minutes, no more than ten.

Had I been using a forum and desktop computer the whole process could easily have taken half to an hour. Transferring photos to computer and then uploading somewhere. And finding URL of another. Adding photo URLs by hand, even from a button, can be fiddly. And there you go.

Last edited by Hypex on 06-Dec-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 6-Dec-2016 15:39:36
#35 ]
Cult Member

@Srtest

Quote:

Srtest wrote:
..........Perhaps you need to stabilize hardware before moving in different directions, and moving in different directions can both be seen as stemming from the chatter and attributing to it...........

Now you're talking Amiga.

CPU does not matter. There should be an Amiga graphics system/card and the same for sound and other things. My new Amiga is different than others new Amiga. ? So which one is the new Amiga?

Srtest 
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 3:58:29
#36 ]

@Signal

A cpu, you put power in and magic comes out.

A SOC, you put in there a cpu, a gpu, i/o operations, maybe some networking, you have a system. Is it a system? is it a chip? is it a system on a chip? does it make sounds? does it sound like it's made up?

That joke is from Zork: grand inquisitor. To play it you unfortunately need a p..... iece of great portable software and project called scummvm. You run on a current Amiga in opengl fullscreen and you feel like you weren't left out of the fmv era.

That is simply awesome. You take Zork, you put it on scummvm, you put scummvm on AOS, you put AOS on an X1k, you put X1k as a custom mmmm,gggg,rrrrr, pc... you take a step back...

You look at it - a russian doll! you embrace it like that is what you always wanted! you declare it a modern Amiga and flip everyone.

You make it a news item.

You realize you need to spoof your browser.

You declare it an odyssey and look forward to the future.

You look for the right emoticon yet scared it will make everything crash because... you think everything might make everything crash. You settle for the joke.

Last edited by Srtest on 07-Dec-2016 at 04:01 AM.

Beans 
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 4:29:30
#37 ]

@Signal

Quote:
When I think of "NG Amiga" it is like THIS. The OS need not be open, but rather controlled. Kind of like Python or RiscOS. The owners get paid as custodians and for new features/upgrades/ports/etc..

No Amiga hardware. . . . . . . No Amiga.

I rather like the Firebee.
But it has no legacy hardware either.
And its processor has serious compatibility issues with 68K code.

As to "Amiga", nothing I use that qualifies as NG uses that name.
As NG implies, its designed to be of a later generation.
As such, I picked what I thought was the best NG solution, which was (is) MorphOS.

But as to legacy hardware, the entire Amiga chipset was never that important to me.
It aged rather rapidly, and was upgraded rather minimally.

However, I was, and am still, a big fan of the Motorola 68K family though.
So, even with my differences with Gunnar, I'm thrilled to see the Vampire2 move forward as it could be applied to all 68K based hardware.

No Amiga hardware...No Amiga?
Who freakin' cares?

As hardware evolved, it became rather generic and commodity based.
AND, in its current state, it runs circles around anything Amiga related.

You want to cry over your losses, stick your head in the sand, and pretend time hasn't passed us by?
Go for it, its your right, but you'll still look foolish.

AND you want to denigrate Amiga NG on a site owned by a company that manufactures hardware for OS4 computers (as well as hardware for legacy machines)?
Pretty damned inconsiderate by my way of thinking.
After all, they've invested money in furthering the interests of your community.

But then, Amiga owners never had much of a history of reliably supporting their vendors. Theft of software was more common in the Amiga community than in any other I have ever been involved in.
And the "enthusiasts" have a history of demanding a variety of developments, then not supporting them for a variety of reasons, while arguing with each other as to the righteousness of their individual personal agendas.

This is all just one more facet of the Amiga curse. Not only have the companies developing the hardware and software had issues, but they foaming at the mouth fanatics claiming to be supporters have had there own set of issues.

It makes me glad that I stuck with offering my services to the business community.
Because relying on you guys is a losing proposition.

Last edited by Beans on 07-Dec-2016 at 04:31 AM.

Beans 
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 13:48:19
#38 ]

@kolla

No, the API limitations are the same.
So...31 bit memory limiting us to 1.5 GB of ram, no SMP without breaking compatibility, and the other API compatibility constraints.

BUT, processors that run 10 to 50 times faster, infinately more capable gpus, modern expansion slots (including going beyond PCI), the power needed for OpenGL based applications.....
This list could go on for a really long time.

No where near the same limitations.
AND, those limitations are in place to assure compatibility with YOUR legacy software.

If jetisoned, our development would continue, we would only have broken compatibility with legacy software.
And that is inevitable, with legacy software running in a box or via UAE.

Its like a quadraplegic calling someone without legs a cripple.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 16:18:43
#39 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

In the ancient times of amiga 1000 and amiga 500, amiga chipset was important.

But these times are gone. And no one want to remeber it.

Commodore never really upgrade blitter, in last amiga with it, blitter is as fast as it was in 1983.

Since november 1992 when Commodore resign from 68000 computers, every Amiga, no matter who made it, Commdore, Escom, Acube, A-Eon has cpu faster than orginal Amiga blitter.

Since november 1992 only cpu which has to be 32 bit big endian and OS is important.

Last edited by ppcamiga1 on 07-Dec-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Signal 
Posted on 7-Dec-2016 18:10:49
#40 ]
Cult Member

@Beans

Quote:

Beans wrote:
@Signal
No Amiga hardware...No Amiga?
Who freakin' cares?

As hardware evolved, it became rather generic and commodity based.
AND, in its current state, it runs circles around anything Amiga related.

You want to cry over your losses, stick your head in the sand, and pretend time hasn't passed us by?
Go for it, its your right, but you'll still look foolish.

Ouch!

My A1X1k came with a ATI graphics card, soon it needed another ATI card to stay current, then another card to do 3D, if I wanted such. If the 3rd card should need replacement will I have to wait for drivers for a 4th card?

Yes, the argument for the 4th card being more capable and faster is valid, but where does it end?

I'm not saying go back, just get stable and finish some foundation things first.
Quote:

AND you want to denigrate Amiga NG on a site owned by a company that manufactures hardware for OS4 computers (as well as hardware for legacy machines)?
Pretty damned inconsiderate by my way of thinking.
After all, they've invested money in furthering the interests of your community.

So did I, but that makes no never mind to anyone but me...... evidently.
Quote:

But then, Amiga owners never had much of a history of reliably supporting their vendors.

Over a period of 3 1/2 years I spent over $8500.00 on hardware, software, donations and community activities. I cannot begin to total the number of hours spent on this hobby, and I'm not talking about just using it, or playing games.
Quote:

And the "enthusiasts" have a history of demanding a variety of developments, then not supporting them for a variety of reasons, while arguing with each other as to the righteousness of their individual personal agendas.

Nobody DEMANDED Xmos, and it is still totally unsupported by the people that put it on the board and those that were to tie it to the system. Well, that's probably my fault too.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle