Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 82 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

Hypex,  DiscreetFX,  Swisso

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  8 secs ago
 Swisso:  23 secs ago
 Hypex:  43 secs ago
 VooDoo:  17 mins ago
 agami:  17 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 ed:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 hrs 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  6 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  The Switch vs The Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Poll : Switch or Amiga
I've 'Switched' sides ;-)
Only Amiga
I love Will Smith
Great Giana Sisters
Why do computers sing karaoke?
After Earth sucks more than ECS ever did
I didn't know Nintendo still made hardware!

PosterThread
fishy_fis 
Re: The Switch vs The Amiga
Posted on 18-Jan-2017 10:26:47
#21 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Err, what?

Your response to me makes ZERO sense.
"PC master race"?, " iPhone"?
What do these have to do with the price of fish?
Do you understand the definition of semantics?

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 18-Jan-2017 12:07:36
#22 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

fishy_fis wrote:
@BigD

Quote:
Err, what?

Your response to me makes ZERO sense.
"PC master race"?, " iPhone"?
What do these have to do with the price of fish?
Do you understand the definition of semantics?

Semantics
sɪˈmantɪks/
noun
The branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning.

WolfpackN64, myself and most of the Western world say that Nintendo 'make' their own hardware and you say NVidia did all the work. Big frickin' deal. Take it up with an English professor who actually cares. The point is that if this console fails there will be no more 'badged' Nintendo hardware and presumably you would not be bothered by this because the Switch is not ACTUALLY built by Nintendo anyway Hence my comments about playing on the PC!

Because you love semantics :

'Master Race' (geek phrase/term) is a commonly used on gaming websites such as IGN and amongst gamers. It gives a sense of the superiority that PC Gamers seem to feel over console/mobile gamers presumably due to them spending £1000s on high end graphics cards.

'iPhone' (a smart phone designed by Apple and then sub-contracted to Foxconn for manufacture). Commonly viewed as the favoured platform for gaming post 2007 (other than maybe Android phones). Developing costs are lower and the install base is much higher than current generation consoles. The gaming experience and quality is deemed to be questionable by many 'core' gamers.

I hope that helps

Last edited by BigD on 18-Jan-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 18-Jan-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 18-Jan-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 18-Jan-2017 at 12:10 PM.

agami 
Posted on 19-Jan-2017 5:34:35
#23 ]

@BigD

The multiple choices in the poll totally sucked balls.

Anyway, I will be watching the release of the Nintendo Switch with cautious optimism.
I will not be pre-ordering the gaming device as none of the launch titles are appealing to me. What attracts me to the Switch is its use as a portable gaming system. I love my PS Vita but Sony has decided to neglect it much like Commodore neglected the Amiga.

Eventually my Vita will have nothing interesting to offer. It's highly doubtful that Sony will attempt another portable console so I hope by then there will be some compelling games on the Switch. Playing on the phone or tablet is not the same. Virtual on-screen buttons are a poor substitute for physical gaming-oriented controls.

What I would like to see is a Team 17 port of their isometric Unreal engine based Alien Breed followup on Steam. I'd like to play that on the go. Also some more serious FPS and 3rd person action adventures. Seriously, somebody make a modern Flashback game a la Rise of the Tomb Raider.

BigD 
Posted on 19-Jan-2017 9:40:29
#24 ]
Elite Member

@agami

Quote:
The multiple choices in the poll totally sucked balls.

As stated earlier, if Nintendo had seriously attempted do a professional launch reveal then I'd have created a serious poll. The console is dead in the water because;

A) They didn't bundle their crumby tech demo 1-2 Switch with the console!
B) Mario is not ready for launch and is following Shadow the Hedgehog for grimy real world inspiration for some of the levels!
C) Zelda is not a system seller and is available on the Wii U £20 cheaper!
D) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 are old games with no significant extras over the Wii U. Mario Kart has no new cups and no discounted price and Splatoon 2 was due to be bundled with a console bundle but they chickened out due to the price!
E) It's £280 with NO GAMES!!! Can you feel the ice cubes ?

Nintendo are as arrogant and out of touch as they have ever been (not dissimilar to C=) and an ice cube simulating hardware trick and £40+ peripherals is not going to sell hardware or the concept. Where are the games, where's the battery life and where's the free online functionality for the UK on March 3rd?

Last edited by BigD on 19-Jan-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 19-Jan-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Bugala 
Posted on 19-Jan-2017 12:17:39
#25 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

A) Completely agree with this one, they really should have put this one bundled with the console. similar to WII U:s Nintendo Land which came with my WIi U, it really grew the appetite for more games in way of wondering what all they might come up with as Nintendo land was showing a taste of what there was to come, which actually in the end didnt really come. And also, I doubt I had bough Nintendo Land ever, even in the end I can see that it had been worth buying it, since you dont quite grasp the idea until you actually try it. Same with 1-2 Switch. I can easily believe that if i would have it and play it, i would think it actually is worth the huge price, but right now it seems to me like do i really want to pay huge price just to be able to have wild west gunfights with my switch?

B) Have to say same that the real world Mario seemed bit of a downer, however, I do give the benefit of doubt that perhaps they are making something that really makes a difference and justifies that all.

C) Actually I think Zelda is a system seller. Although it is cheaper for Wii U, theres lot of people who rather bought Watchdogs for some other system than WII U, because it wasnt powerful enough, and that also makes some people be willing to actualyl rather buy the more powerful console too. Especially as WII U:s sales werent that good, there be many people who never bought WII U but who might be interested in buying another Nintendo console, and with Zelda there, they will now make the decision to buy switch directly instead of the "old" WII U.

D) I dont like either of those games, but they release of Mario Kart sold quite few copies of Wii U, and similarly Splatoon did become a hit, hence I think that is a strong combination and a seller for Switch. I doubt people who already have Wii U and Mariokart/Splatoon will buy it, but people who have seen/played them, and dont have WII U might well buy. They talking of Mariokart 8 in my daughters preschool somewhat lot it seems along the boys, yet as far as i have understood, almost none of them seem to have Wii U. I can easily see them going for their parents to begging Switch with mariokart for next christmas.

E) Thats the biggest bummer in this all. Especially when combined with current planned real high game prices, which is actually even bigger downer for me than the console price.

Last edited by Bugala on 19-Jan-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Last edited by Bugala on 19-Jan-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle