Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 155 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

_ThEcRoW

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 _ThEcRoW:  3 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  30 mins ago
 retrofaza:  31 mins ago
 Rob:  31 mins ago
 OlafS25:  54 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Kremlar:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 dirkzwager:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Getting back into the Amiga
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
iggy 
Re: Getting back into the Amiga
Posted on 3-Mar-2017 18:51:57
#21 ]

@Kay

You have some nice toys. I have a Dragon 64 that is in limbo somewhere since I sent it to Cloud-9 to be serviced.
I have a Yamaha V9958 based 80 column card I'd like to try in a Dragon under NitrOS-9.
And my SX1 on my CD32 is acting up, so no legacy fun outside of my A2000.

I'd love to see a comparison of a G4XE against Tabor.

The later has a speed advantage and a PCIe expansion slot, but I imagine the XE would have some advantages.

Profile     Report this post  
Kay 
Posted on 3-Mar-2017 20:57:26
#22 ]

Maybe, but as I understand it the XE was a pretty rough board. I heard it was actually a development board not ready for public use, which might explain why I needed a separate IDE interface card, and why the battery will discharge if the board is powered off for a while. I think I would prefer a slower, but more reliable motherboard.

Still, at the time, it was worth it for me. I wanted to be an early adopter, and I had a lot of fun with it back then. I hope to be able to restore it to a decent working order, and hopefully do some software development at some point. I'm quite interested in Hollywood, as that would allow me to have multiple target platforms. I just need some more information about the API and capabilities before I make the investment.

The Dragon 32 was my first computer, where I made my first programs. I owe a debt of gratitude to that machine, as software development is now how I make my living. While the Dragon ignited the interest, it was the Amiga which made me really passionate about computing though.

The SX1 is something I only ever saw in the magazines. It might be worth getting it repaired, I hear they are more valuable than the CD32s themselves these days.

Rob 
Posted on 4-Mar-2017 0:26:07
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Kay

Quote:
Maybe, but as I understand it the XE was a pretty rough board. I heard it was actually a development board not ready for public use, which might explain why I needed a separate IDE interface card, and why the battery will discharge if the board is powered off for a while

It was supposed to be a reference board but Terrasoft were also going to supply it as a Linux system until the DMA issue was discovered by Bplan's engineers and all the mud slinging started.

The XE is the best of the Teron based hardware. The IDE card solved the DMA conflict with the network port. Aside from that there was the onboard audio which was eventually solved and the USB was a simple fix which should have been done before they shipped. It's also the only board from the time which allows you to use a Radeon HD card although it's net yet known if the Warp3D Nova compatible cards work with it. I can't believe no body has tried in all this time.

I you ever upgrade and are in the position to afford an X5000 then I'd recommend that over any other any other OS4 hardware.

Quote:
The Dragon 32 was my first computer, where I made my first programs. I owe a debt of gratitude to that machine, as software development is now how I make my living. While the Dragon ignited the interest, it was the Amiga which made me really passionate about computing though.

I had and still have the other computer made in Wales, the Sam Coupé although it was Spectrum I started out my computing hobby with. I learnt Basic on the Spectrum and continued on the Sam's more advanced Basic. I never got as far as learning assembler although I did buy the development tools unfortunately couldn't get hold of the any books on it by that time.
When I got the Amiga I was so busy with all the good games that programming dropped off the radar for me and I never really got back into it.

Kay 
Posted on 4-Mar-2017 21:01:05
#24 ]

Some progress today. My new graphics card and OS 4.1 didn't arrive in time for the weekend, but that did give me the time to take the entire AmigaOne system apart, and clean it properly with cloth, cotton buds, electronics cleaner, and canned air. Not only do I now have a clean and dust free system, this helped me reacquaint myself with the hardware, and assess the state of it. Overall it seems to be in good condition. There's a tiny bit of corrosion on some of the metal surfaces, but nothing alarming. Of course, this hardware is only what, 14 years old? I'm a little bit more concerned about the classic Amigas, which are from back when I was 14 years old. In addition to cleaning them, is it generally recommended to replace the capacitors on the old Amiga motherboards?

When it comes to functionality, little has changed. I still have no network access, and the computer won't display on the DVI output. I have been able to format a memory stick to be compatible with the AmigaOne, so at least I have a reasonable way to get files in and out of it now.

By the way, when I reboot the computer, I get a long wait time on the first boot screen, at the part where it says "Bus 0: OK Bus 1: ...............OK". I vaguely recall that there was something that could be done about the long wait time for Bus 1, but I don't recall what. Does anybody here know?

Kay 
Posted on 4-Mar-2017 21:26:01
#25 ]

@klx300r

I will let you know how the retrobrighting works out. I actually have three options now. I have the ingredients for the self mixed cream SydneyBloom told me about, I have the peroxide cream from the hair dyeing set i purchased, and I was able to source the cream I was originally after from eBay. I suppose I should try all three, and compare the results. I've also ordered myself a cheap UV lamp, so don't have to rely on the western Norwegian weather.

Kay 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 10:48:14
#26 ]

Looks like I was being too optimistic about using a USB stick to transfer data. It works for moving a few files in between, but I have been trying to make a complete backup of my Amiga system to my PC, and it's a real pain. For one thing, it's really slow. But what's worse, is that I have not found a reliable way to copy files. DOpus4 locks up after a while. Workbench locks up immediately. Diskmaster locks up after a significantly longer time, but a lot of the files end up corrupted. I'm a little bit frustrated now. Perhaps the main problem is not the software I'm using, but the USB implementation.

I really hope this improves with OS4.1.

Kay 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 18:06:34
#27 ]

Today I went to my father's house, and after some fruitless searching, I finally found the mother lode in the garage attic. Here are the biggest finds after getting them home:

That's the original packaging for my A500 at the back (in pretty good condition), a Commodore 1084S monitor, my Dragon 32, a couple of tape recorders, a GVP hard drive expansion for the A500 (with 4 MB fast ram as well), and the case for my A1200. Most of this stuff is looking quite bad, so I have a lot of work ahead of me. I am looking forward to it, though.

I also found loads of floppy disks, as well as various bits and pieces, including a PCMCIA network card and some PC peripherals. Surprisingly, I also found another Radeon 9250 card, which I might as well try in my AmigaOne.

What a day.

pavlor 
Posted on 5-Mar-2017 19:10:04
#28 ]
Elite Member

@Kay

Wow, nice find!

Kay 
Posted on 7-Mar-2017 22:11:30
#29 ]

Today AmigaOS 4.1 arrived in the mail, and I'm happy I upgraded. For one thing, the DVI output on my Radeon works now, so I can finally connect it to my modern monitor. The system also seems a lot more stable and generally more pleasant to use than it was.

Unfortunately, I still can't connect it to the Internet. I guess I will have to look into getting a PCI network card.

Rob 
Posted on 7-Mar-2017 23:39:20
#30 ]
Elite Member

@Kay

Are you using a cable or ISDN service? Here on cable my systems just connect with no need for configuration. Have you checked the ethernet cable is good? Have you tried pinging other system on your home network or tried pinging the AmigaOne?

PR 
Posted on 8-Mar-2017 0:17:58
#31 ]

Had very much of job with the company with ADSL.

They made a special job to get lots of adresses just for AmigaOne & all others and there are more for other people who are in rent that put in wlan.

Just too many for one ip. Then again for the speed. Got it the Best as luckily the box is over the fence.

A bit of "understanding" as was a bit angry. Works too good to change. They understood..

Nearly 30€/month (but always get the discount -5)

Expensive? 25Mb+ ? Think it's faster than everything works in a second.

Last edited by PR on 08-Mar-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Kay 
Posted on 8-Mar-2017 10:01:24
#32 ]

Thank you for your input, I've got Internet working now. As is often the case, the fundamental problem was that I'm an idiot. I checked the cabling, and was properly embarrassed to discover that I hadn't pushed the cable all the way into the switch on my desk.

I then went on to try and get the front USB ports working. I did not succeed in this, but I think that by fiddling with the connectors, I managed to kill a wireless mouse receiver and a memory stick. Oh well. I'll be using a USB hub from the back instead.

Overall though, I'm reasonably happy with how my A1 is working now.

Today, I will be picking up my new furniture from IKEA. I am looking forward to setting up some of the classic machines.

Last edited by Kay on 08-Mar-2017 at 02:52 PM.

Kay 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 8:05:54
#33 ]

I have now set up the furniture, and has entered into the time consuming process of getting everything sorted and into an appropriate place. It is very evident at this point, that I'm not someone who throws things away. The two things I have not been able to find though, are the BlizzardPPC card and the Mediator PCI. It is my belief that I probably sold them after getting the AmigaOne. It doesn't matter much, though, as I don't think I really want an PPC/PCI A1200 anymore.

So far, I have set up and tested two systems: the CDTV and the CD32. Both seem to be working fine, although it looks like most of my floppies have died, and the CDTV is missing a CD caddy (got one on its way in the post).

Perhaps I'll do a bit of show and tell later on.

Kay 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 21:05:58
#34 ]

Right, so this day didn't turn out as planned, giving me little time to play around with my computers. However, I will show you one picture:

That's my CDTV, CD32, and CRT TV. A black 1084 video monitor would have been ideal, but I think the TV looks nice enough.

The desk is not quite as spacious as I had hoped, but hopefully I should still be able to fit a wedge case Amiga next to it. It will probably be the A1200, as that is my favorite Amiga computer, and also a fair bit more powerful and usable than the A500.

BigD 
Posted on 15-Mar-2017 21:21:31
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Kay

2 x Competition Pro Pads = nice

Kay 
Posted on 16-Mar-2017 10:18:49
#36 ]

@BigD

Yeah. I have an original CD32 pad as well, but it is not working properly. The Competition Pro Pads are better anyway.

I've been thinking about my A1200, and think I want to aim for:
* Original wedge case
* Gotek floppy emulator
* 1230 accelerator (probably Vampire 1200 when it becomes available)
* Internal CF "hard drive"
* WiFi
* External CDROM

Most of these shouldn't be a problem, but getting an external CDROM might be a tricky. I wish I still had my old PCMCIA CDROM drive, but I probably got rid of it when I moved the A1200 to the tower. I don't know if there are any tidy and inexpensive ways to add both WiFI and a CDROM to an A1200 in a wedge case.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle