Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 142 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

A1200,  saimo

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  2 mins ago
 A1200:  4 mins ago
 kolla:  5 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  9 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  32 mins ago
 zipper:  33 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 RickSkid:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  X5000 question
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
StantheAmigaMan 
X5000 question
Posted on 28-Feb-2017 23:55:58
#1 ]

Hi gang! I'm back!!!

I have a bit of bad news... my AmigaOne 500 that I waited so long to get and build, was stolen a few months ago while I was at work. And of course, the manufacturer is completely out of stock and has been since I bought it LAST February.

So I noticed this company on Facebook a couple of days ago, Amiga on the Lake, and noticed they have the AmigaOne X5000 for sale. I wrote them asking if they expect to have any in stock in the next 60-90 days, as I don't want to waste my tax refund all in once place. They wrote back the same night saying don't worry, we're fully stocked.

So now I'm trying to put together video cards, audio cards, a full 16GB instead of 2 for the 500, that sort of thing. What recommendations do you guys have? would any Radeon video card work? I'd love to be able to put 4 monitors on this one. Same for audio cards. I may get the audio card on the AotL website, as it
s guaranteed to work.

Has anyone had any luck with this system? It's allegedly the fastest and best out there for the PPC NG Amiga...

Profile     Report this post  
PR 
Re: X5000 question
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 0:02:51
#2 ]

Amiga was stolen? Who the Hell would do that?

Just curious were do You work?

The cards have recommendations from the hd radeon developers better than mine.

This XE works with the 9250 as recommended. As an example. Waiting for the update+net.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 0:07:55
#3 ]

@PR

No idea who would take a new Amiga. It wasn't labeled as such, so I guess the laugh was on whomever took it. They couldn't even get past the boot screen without the proper hardware/keyboard&mouse

Me? I work at APG in Maryland.

I'm also wondering if my HP officeJet will work with the 5000; it didn't with the 500. hehe

PR 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 0:54:34
#4 ]

OK. Also the Miga works with security You know.

Interesting. I did my Hotel advertisement jobs with the Amiga and all banking stuff. Now the young girls wanna play as it is better than a stupid pc.

Best Regs, PR

Edit, was in Army too and reserved. Not too old still. Or maybe Googled the wrong company..

Last edited by PR on 01-Mar-2017 at 12:58 AM.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 1:17:15
#5 ]

@PR

Actually, what bugged me about the 500 was that I couldn't log in. You turn it on, you're in. No security at all. I became a developer in the first place to write software for my Amiga. I may have to get back to that. :)

I remember doing video work with my Amiga and loving it. It's a shame that my Mac mini can do more with an SD card tand a copy of Final Cut Pro han my Amiga 2000 could with a Toaster, TBC card and genlock. The upside is, the Mini is cheaper!

And APG is Aberdeen Proving Ground. Company I work for is ManTech. Never was in the service but worked in the DoD most of my career. Loved it, still do actually.

PR 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 3:31:36
#6 ]

Understand better now. Thank You and my native language is not english.

Best memories too with DigiView Gold making videos and still pictures with an A500.

Now we have the power, still need the proggies.

Is it five am over here and there is daytime..

Good Times for Amiga renew (and also the other hobby, Corvette)

The Toaster system must have been very good.

Used to have an A4000 and my friend made me a "joke": He put it rendering everytime for a few days.. Imagine, Real3D and others. Could not use it for a while but it was in use.

Security is that there was no need. Now just read todays paper and there really is as many have the phones and even refrigerators in the net that guys could shut them down.

Opinion is not to put all in this wire.

Still using DeluxePaint for somethings as learned a long time ago. Transferring to pc is a bit pain to print but it's better than any pc equivalent as we have discussed these a hundred times.

Not starting with the music...

You are maybe a better professional, here tried coding but not my thing. Artist more or was.

Please code for the Amiga if You can. We did some demos but that was it. If I could, I'd do the killer browser and port some to the OS4. It is happening. Like Personal Paint and some games. Waiting state mode still on;)

retro 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 9:59:18
#7 ]

woow did some one nick your amiga x5000. i would have been running around with a ground sniffing dog and a shotgun by now if i were you,

murder murder murder,.nothing less the death pendelti for thouse assholes...

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 12:03:25
#8 ]

@retro

no no, not the X5000. I don't have that one yet. They nicked my AmigaOne 500, which if they can get to work better than I did, they're welcome to it. A turtle could win a race if it ran against the 500. :)

My tax refund just came in, so I'm going to start saving for the X5000. I'm in contact with Amiga on the Lake, and they have plenty of units in stock :). They aren't going anywhere.

ChrisH 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 18:54:49
#9 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan Quote:
what bugged me about the 500 was that I couldn't log in. You turn it on, you're in. No security at all.

There are several solutions out there already. My favourite one is this 68k utility from 1994, which still works great on the latest AmigaOS4:
http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/A-Lock13

ChrisH 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 19:04:31
#10 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan
I'd make sure you've secured your house, before buying the X5000. Thieves (apparently) often like to come back 6 months (or so) later, after you've had enough time to replace the stolen goods . (And they may break through somewhere different than last time, so don't just secure where they broke in before, secure all entry points.)

If you can't do anything better, then use a steel cable to prevent someone walking away with your desktop computer:
http://www.ebuyer.com/193752-kensington-desktop-and-peripherals-locking-kit-k64615eu
(Attach it to the main body of the tower case, NOT one of the removable side panels. It won't be pretty, but better than having it stolen.)
(And of course the other end of the cable needs to be attached to something immovable, preferably a wall. I'd personally get a metal security hoop thing that's designed to be screwed into the wall. Again not pretty, but pretty much impossible to remove in a hurry.)

Last edited by ChrisH on 01-Mar-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 01-Mar-2017 at 07:05 PM.

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 19:10:18
#11 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan

If you can wait few months, A1-A1222 should be much cheaper than X5000 (with less features and performance of course).

Quote:
a full 16GB instead

AmigaOS supports only 2 GB (RAM above is used only as EMO - eg. by RAM disk).

Quote:
I'd love to be able to put 4 monitors on this one

AmigaOS/RadeonHD driver supports only one monitor per GFX card.

Last edited by pavlor on 01-Mar-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 20:54:08
#12 ]
Elite Member

@StantheAmigaMan

@StantheAmigaMan

Sorry to hear about your A1 500 being stolen. I've had a similar thing happen and lost several different versions of the OS including the pre-release that came with the original A1s.

Amiga on the Lake are great guys who are really committed to pushing the platform forward. They include the Enhancer package, Ppaint and Amiga Racer as standard so you get some nice software before you've even connected it to the net.

The X5000 is the most powerful OS4 compatible hardware so far. The next release of MorphOS will also run on it too and you'll be able to trial it for free.

16GB isn't really necessary and won't really be very useful except perhaps under Linux which doesn't have the same memory constraints as OS4 and MorphOS. I'd suggest sticking to 2GB and spending the money elsewhere.

A variety of Radeon cards will work in but to get the most of the OS you need to get a card with the southern Islands chipset which are the only cards supported by the new Warp3D Nova API which is included on the enhancer CD.
According to the Wiki the following cards are supported:

Radeon HD 77xx-79xx series graphics card (excluding the Radeon HD 7790)
Radeon HD R7 240/240D
Radeon HD R7 250E/250/250X/265
Radeon HD R9 270/270X/280/280X

Performance currently seems to be tied to the clock speed of the card at the moment so paying extra for a R9 280 has no benefit and will actually perform less well compared to the R 270 and even the R7 250 cards which have higher standard clock speeds.

If you want to run multiple monitors you'll need additional cards. You can use a Radeon 9250 or similar in one of the the PCI slots.

The PCI x1 slots can also be used for cards supported by the Radeon HD driver. That includes everything from the X1350 to the above mentioned R9 cards. Actual x1 video cards are rare and the price does not reflect the premium but there are other options.
You can use a x1 to x16 adapter and a low profile card which works out significantly cheaper than a x1 card.
Alternatively you can use a x16 card without an adapter by cutting the additional pins off the card so it will fit in the slot. You should be able to pick up an HD 4350 or 5450 for pocket change on Ebay and it will be adequate as a second 2D only display. See here for an example.

There are various PCI and PCIe x1 sound cards that are compatible but someone with a bit more experience than me can better advise you.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 21:37:31
#13 ]

@Rob

Hey Rob,

Thank you for all of the invaluable advice! You read my mind, as I was about to ask about every one of these items. And one more, which I'll cover below.

I was hoping that the OS by now would support more than 2GB. I'll save the money from the 16GB upgrade. Anyplace to cut costs. And I was most impressed by the guys from Amiga on the Lake. Through 2-3 emails alone and the quick reply they have made me feel like I've known them and worked with them for years.

I'll look into 2 of those video cards. The package AotL offers includes one video card, and I think I'm going to upgrade to the R9 270X, and pick up another one locally to have two... monitors with it. The A1 500 could do two but not simultaneously. I've been working in computers since 1982 and I haven't been able to figure that out yet? The external card disables the onboard VGA.

Would you happen to know which modern printers work with the X5000? I'd really like it if my HP OfficeJet 8610 would work in native mode, i.e. not just from the command line... but I have bio problem buying a printer that will actually work the way it should.

amigasociety 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 21:44:50
#14 ]
Cult Member

@StantheAmigaMan

I wonder about using 2 displays on the X5000 since it has only 1 GPU slot.

Will be interesting to see of Rob's options for 2nd card works using other slots.

I know there are some older cards out there but....

I did use 2 video cards in my X1K when I owned it but it had 2 GPU slots.

I wonder if the PCI-E x4 could be used? If they even make video cards that fit that slot.

TJ

Last edited by amigasociety on 01-Mar-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Last edited by amigasociety on 01-Mar-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Last edited by amigasociety on 01-Mar-2017 at 09:49 PM.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 21:48:49
#15 ]

@amigasociety

thanks for THAT piece of info as well. People keep saving me money with advice . I like that!

amigasociety 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 21:59:17
#16 ]
Cult Member

@StantheAmigaMan

Wonder if this would really work.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Profile-Extension-PEX1TO162/dp/B0039XPS5W

Might be worth a shot.

I had no idea such an adapter existed.

Thanks Rob for making mention of it.

I had been settled on only using 1 display on the X5K but maybe now this is an option.

Wonder if Amiga OS will see a x16 video card using this adapter in a PCIex1 slot?

Cool.

TJ

amigasociety 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 22:06:06
#17 ]
Cult Member

I wonder if not using a fat video card in the X5K X16 slot if using an X4 to X16 adapter for 2nd card would offer better speed for a 2nd slim video card. Like a 7750 as example?

So two Radeon 7750 using X16 and X4 (with adapter) slots

http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pexp16-sx-16-4-p-4568.html

TJ

Last edited by amigasociety on 01-Mar-2017 at 10:07 PM.

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 22:08:57
#18 ]

@amigasociety

Do you have a working X5k? How much RAM does the motherboard take? and what printers do you use? :)

Stan the Eager

amigasociety 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 22:10:35
#19 ]
Cult Member

@StantheAmigaMan

Amiga OS only supports 2 as others have noted but linux supports more... so I have 8GB in mine.

TJ

StantheAmigaMan 
Posted on 1-Mar-2017 22:15:49
#20 ]

@amigasociety

I absolutely refuse to pay $1600 for a motherboard to put Linux on it. :D. So I'll stick with 4 for mine.

Why wouldn't at least a 32-bit OS be able to cover the 4GB maximum? That makes no sense to me. And I've been counting in binary since I was 10. (pun intended lol) . It's an OS limitation, I know. Maybe a quick email to Hyperion would help.

So like I said, people saving me money I like! :)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle