Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 56 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

matthey,  Hammer,  cdimauro

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cdimauro:  9 secs ago
 matthey:  18 secs ago
 Hammer:  1 min ago
 DiscreetFX:  24 mins ago
 bhabbott:  27 mins ago
 gonegahgah:  30 mins ago
 Hypex:  46 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  57 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 40 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Is the AmigaONE A1222 last best chance for OS4 market?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Poll : Is the AmigaONE A1222 last best chance for OS4 market?
Yes
No
Needs to be cheaper/better
86x/Arm is the answer
OS4.2 / Future software is more important
OS4 is dead
Yummy Pancakes

PosterThread
amigang 
Is the AmigaONE A1222 last best chance for OS4 market?
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 13:26:46
#1 ]
Elite Member

So was just thinking the other day and notice that I had my AmigaONE X1000 for 5 years now, its hard to believe that 5 years has passed since I got myself a Next Gen Amiga. I have really enjoyed it and will continue to enjoy it, but I was hoping for a slight revival of the Amiga market, more the OS4 market, dont get me wrong I think the market/community did improve a lot, when the X1000 arrived, and it may stabilized the market and I wasn't expecting full Amiga revival back to the glory days, but was hoping for just a bit more (if you get my meaning).

I think it just because the community was talking about larger projects back at X1000 release, with Firefox port, Openoffice, Dual core OS4.2, Spoitify, etc and there was a sense of a lot more optimism and enthusiasm in the OS4 world, none of the project have quite turned out the way it was planned and I think that has hurt OS4 world a little, and taken away alot of the enthusiasm for the market.

Now where entering a new phase, a sort of round two, X5000 is out and starting to get in the hands of Amigans around the world, there are some big software releases, Hollywood 7, LibreOffice in beta, I'm also hoping Wings Remastered soon, but I think OS4 best chance of getting back some momentum and enthusiasm is the A1222 getting the price down as low as possible and maybe start creating little basic apps and games for the platform would be a way of gaining back enthusiasm and optimism for the platform, what do you guys think?

PS: here me trying to get enthusiasm for the new AmigaOnes, fan advert
https://youtu.be/0Isypss8kzU

Last edited by amigang on 22-Mar-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: Is the AmigaONE A1222 last best chance for OS4 market?
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 16:39:34
#2 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

OS4 market has no real chance at least since the Blue/Red divide in 2001/2002. However, more affordable hardware is certainly good idea. Don´t expect miracles though...

utri007 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 16:50:44
#3 ]

Last change for what??????

Amiga OS4 is hobby operating system, current state is OK for those who are interested. Every step forward is just nice bonus, nothing more, nothing less. Amiga OS woun't ever be mainstream OS, is just stupid wait anything else.

I refuse vote, as there is no proper option for me.

OlafS25 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 17:07:57
#4 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

a-eon/amigakit want to earn their money by selling software and for that they need more users. That is what is Tabor designed for.

if that works like they hope has to be seen

Last edited by OlafS25 on 22-Mar-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Aslak3 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 18:08:53
#5 ]

@utri007

Quote:

I refuse vote, as there is no proper option for me.

That's what Yummy Pancakes is for. That's what I voted. :)

iggy 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 19:27:33
#6 ]

@amigang

Personally, I hope its not the last chance.
We currently have the dual core X5000, Tabor will be released...whenever, and I'm hoping that the quad core X5000 gets released (because that is what I want to buy).
And there is always hope for further, future development.

It ain't over 'til its over, and we won't be aware of what was last until then.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 20:35:04
#7 ]
Elite Member

its not last.. its not even a chance. but think your way, whatever..

BigD 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 20:48:28
#8 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
We currently have the dual core X5000

It's not a dual core AmigaOne until Amiga OS supports SMP, otherwise it's just a waste of one or three cores.

Last edited by BigD on 22-Mar-2017 at 09:06 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 21:01:59
#9 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
It's not a dual core AmigaOne until Amiga OS supports SMT, otherwise it's just a waste of one or three cores.

well, its simply an opportunity to run some amiga software under emulation, such as under windows uae, linux, macos, aros or whatever, along with some few further poorly adapted linux ports. whether it uses one or more cores. its rather secondary, except when it comes to an extra investment for dedicated hardware. its simply wasted, then.

smp or whatever multicore support, should it ever happen, wont change anything much nowadays, im sorry.

Kay 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 21:04:50
#10 ]

I'm sorry, but I don't believe any of the AmigaOne motherboards are a realistic chance for growing the Amiga user base significantly, to be honest. It is all well and good for providing a platform for current die hard Amiga fans and developers, but even if you sold it really cheaply, it would be unlikely to attract much interest outside that crowd.

I do believe there are products which could realistically be made, which could get some momentum. Here's what I would prioritize:
* A complete system in a nice wedge case
* A reasonable amount of power
* Software to do the most common computing tasks, like a good browser and media player
* Good compatibility with old software (which would require hardware or software emulation of the original chipsets)
* Pricing similar to a modern console
* While this was a feature of older systems, and not so much the Amiga: a good version of BASIC, easily accessible.

I think a product like this could do reasonably well: a fun retro box which reminds people of the old days, which is easy to set up, and easy to get creative with. You don't need lots of power, as you're not competing with a modern PC, and the Amiga doesn't really have software which takes advantage of it. Trying to compete directly with the PC is pointless at this point anyway.

I do believe technology is available to do such things at a reasonable cost today. Look at what the Vampire accelerators are doing with hardware, and what Amiga Forever is doing with emulation, for example. I also believe that there is a potential market. Retro computing is fairly popular, and I believe there are things which have been forgotten with modern computers. Yes, they are tremendously powerful, feature rich, and they have lots of great games. But they do not really spark the imagination and creativity like the old ones did (this is why I would prioritize getting BASIC in).

BigD 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 21:11:26
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Kay

Quote:
Look at what the Vampire accelerators are doing with hardware, and what Amiga Forever is doing with emulation, for example. I also believe that there is a potential market. Retro computing is fairly popular, and I believe there are things which have been forgotten with modern computers. Yes, they are tremendously powerful, feature rich, and they have lots of great games. But they do not really spark the imagination and creativity like the old ones did (this is why I would prioritize getting BASIC in).

Yes, the Vampire is where the excitement is. The Tabor is the last "low cost" stab at pushing the OS 4.x user base but most people that remember the Amiga would prefer a Vampire 2! Sad but true that OS 4.x is beginning to lose the Amiga faithful. It would be a different story if Deluxe Paint and Lightwave returned to the platform or if the TimberWolf porting project had worked out a bit better. As it stands Blitz Basic can be run on a Classic or a Rasberry Pi can be bought for coding. What is the killer app for a Tabor?

ExiE 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 21:15:26
#12 ]

what is 86x ?

eliyahu 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 21:50:44
#13 ]

@thread

the one thing that the amiga market produces more than anything else are forum threads about how to revitalize the amiga market. it is what it is. so long as hyperion, A-EON, and others provide products that sell to amigans and make a profit, it will continue. when it ceases to, or those involved become disinterested, it will die. that's it.

the A1222 is a nice product which, hopefully, will entice those hobbyists and amigans still interested in the modern amiga platform who haven't already purchased a system capable of running AOS4 and AOS4 software to jump on board. i expect it will be priced to do just that. i also expect the constant gnashing-of-teeth on the forums to continue unabated no matter what happens.

that said i tend to focus on using my amigas rather than forecasting the future. i find i'm rather better at the former than the latter.

-- eliyahu

lylehaze 
Posted on 22-Mar-2017 23:15:40
#14 ]

A logical discussion about the Amiga market is exceedingly difficult.
We are not a "logical" market.

I enjoy my X1000 well beyond the price I paid. Enjoying my Amiga is something I do in the moment. I don't worry about the past, I don't try to predict the future. I love creating things, and AmigaOS is canvas I prefer most.

Yes, I have too many projects, and never enough time. But this is my "fun". AmigaOS is my favorite neighborhood to relax and explore and invent new things.

If I worried about what is late, or early, or missing, or not yet ready, I'd have no fun at all. I work with what is in front of me today. And every once in a while, I create an impriovement that makes my playground a little more fun.

The ONLY thing in my playground that has bothered me at all, I recently learned that the X5000 is apparently a good bit faster than the X1000. I might have to do something about that.

But today I'll have fun with AmigaOS on my X1000, I'll do some work on an A1222, and maybe if I get lucky then one day I'll get an X5000 too. :)

Last chance? Nope. Just the next chance,

Overflow 
Posted on 23-Mar-2017 4:40:27
#15 ]

Its a odd poll, and its missing options.

Is C64 dead? Some might say yes, while others will point that people are still producing wonderful demos, games and software for it.

Amiga is no different, be it AOS4 or 3.

amigang 
Re: Is the AmigaONE A1222 the best chance for OS4 market?
Posted on 23-Mar-2017 6:44:45
#16 ]
Elite Member

I shouldn't of put "last" in the title.

I know the AmigaOs4 market will likely just keep tickin with or without the new AmigaOne's.

However I would like to see a little bit more momentum and enthusiasm for the platform, just because like some of you say it is a great OS playground to be in.

I'm just hopping the A1222 can do this.

Zylesea 
Posted on 23-Mar-2017 8:42:43
#17 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

OS4 is more or less dead. For the tiny niche OS4 is the Tabor may be a step forward. But affordable hardware alone doesn't make it. Look to AROS, look to MorphOS. Plenty of affordable hardware, few users. OS4 may get a bit extra attention due to theAmiga name, but this will not bring masses.
I still think the entire Amiga family deserves better, but well, the world is not about what one deserves or not. It's about the market. And all Amigaish flavours don't have a chance there. I see the most potential with Vampire though (and maybe AROS joining that bandwagon): it's nerdish, retro and not too expensive.
But OS4 and MorphOS (at least on ppc): No chance. That doesn't change the fact that we can enjoy MorphOS or OS4 or AROS and - if lucky - even increase userbase slightly.

Amigo1 
Posted on 23-Mar-2017 11:48:02
#18 ]

@amigang

I think OS4.2 is equally important as having hardware.

What I don't really understand is why OS3 is being pushed and updated to what is OS4 is become.
OS4 will then be kind of redundant.
Possibly the resources are the one and only issue here, but I really think OS4.2 should brake compatibility with the old stuff, implement a nice sandbox/RunIn E-UAE so the full potential of the hardware can be used: the cores, the main/CPU memory and the GFX-card memory.
E-UAE is bundled as a contribution to the OS anyway..

Well I have one idea why all this might be..

Software wise, I really like LibreOffice coming but I too second the opinion of many here that a browser is a much more needed app.

I find it curious and I'm wondering: If people find themselves on an island after a plane crash they eventually collaborate. Here we have the 3 and soon 4 fractions barely collaborating which will most probably lead to the demise of the whole survivor group...

What does it mean "it's too late to join forces now"?

OlafS25 
Posted on 23-Mar-2017 12:19:50
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

it means it would make no real difference today even if all would collaborate (what will not happen)

BigD 
Posted on 23-Mar-2017 12:43:18
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Amigo1

Trevor has many times said he has an interest in all flavours of Amiga and hence the olive branch has been offered. If all other colours and sects still want to do their own thing without asking A-EON for collaboration then it makes no sense.

Whether it would allow a reintroduction to the mainstream I can't see. May be if a niche is found. The Pi and BBC micro:Bit grew from nowhere and that seems to be the market we need to harness. The hardware could be a touch more expensive but low cost hobby boards could introduce the masses to the Amiga(One).

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle