Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 53 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  17 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 eliyahu:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 Marcian:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 michalsc:  3 hrs 47 mins ago
 vox:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  5 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Is the AmigaONE A1222 last best chance for OS4 market?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Poll : Is the AmigaONE A1222 last best chance for OS4 market?
Yes
No
Needs to be cheaper/better
86x/Arm is the answer
OS4.2 / Future software is more important
OS4 is dead
Yummy Pancakes

PosterThread
wawa 
Re: Is the AmigaONE A1222 last best chance for OS4 market?
Posted on 26-Mar-2017 22:18:10
#101 ]
Elite Member

@ne_one

Quote:
If Hyperion can't find a way to make enough money with the OS to continue with its development then they should transfer the rights to someone who can.

you are none in charge to tell them what they should or not do with whats icensed to them, right or wrong, as much as i am. its for the public to consider, if they are supporting this or not, thats all.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 26-Mar-2017 22:23:16
#102 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:
2000 people who are fanatical about their hobby

2000? so far i see some fifty votes in favour, of a crowd which is usally over-supportive. not that its impossible that someone takes their time and simply spams the poll with their votes via proxy over night. ;>)

Last edited by wawa on 26-Mar-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 26-Mar-2017 23:05:10
#103 ]
Elite Member

@BSzili

Quote:

BSzili wrote:
@Hans

Hmm, I think we are talking in circles. I hope that the above is not the "official" stance of A-Eon, i.e. paying for the Warp3D Nova drivers and GLES2, but expecting the community to provide an OpenGL implementation for it

TBH, your insistence that GLES2+ isn't OpenGL is a bit irksome. It is OpenGL, just with the old legacy crud removed. Incidentally, it's probably the most widely use OpenGL variant on the planet right now (all recent mobile devices have it). If you know GLES2+, then you can target pretty much all desktop & mobile devices.

To answer your question directly: I speak for myself, not A-EON. Of course A-EON have asked me about MiniGL => Warp3D Nova and other stuff. I'm just being realistic with how much I can personally do. We need to leapfrog a few steps to catch up to modern standards; there's no way I can deliver both legacy support and move things forward. Hence GLES2 support but no MiniGL upgrade.

Bear in mind that GLSL shaders were introduced ~13 years ago, so this old fixed pipline stuff is ancient by computer standards. I can't justify holding back progress with modern GL. You guys have no idea how much work emulating the old fixed pipeline is with all its little switches.**

So, I'm telling you what I told A-EON: you need to find new talent who is/are able and willing to make it happen.

Hans

** IMHO, the biggest pain in the backside is the fixed pipeline's rather complex multi-texturing scheme.

Hans 
Posted on 26-Mar-2017 23:10:09
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Mr_Capehill

Quote:

Mr_Capehill wrote:
@Hans

From what I have seen, MiniGL is married with Warp3D. Adding support for Nova might be a massive patch to MiniGL - although I am not familiar with Nova at all.

If I were doing the work, then I'd create a completely separate MiniGL context structure (taking care that the pointer that MiniGL's GLUT naughtily reads directly remains at the correct offset). So much of the internal data structures are for handling TCL in software, and so would be a waste for the Warp3D Nova backend.

So MiniGL would basically have two almost completely separate code bases with a common context creation function that chooses between the two.

Quote:
What about wrapper from W3D to Nova? That would keep things cleaner, maybe not as performant though.

A Warp3D => Warp3D Nova wrapper would offer zero performance benefits because the biggest bottleneck would still be there (TCL done by CPU & all vertices streamed to VRAM).

Last edited by Hans on 26-Mar-2017 at 11:12 PM.

iggy 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 0:19:04
#105 ]

@ferrels

Don't mind Steven, everyone.
He likes to think of himself as one of those "IT pros" because of his education.
I was working in his field BEFORE there were formalized programs of education.
He IS right, its just a hobby, but even if only the former user base is considered, it has the potential to grow.

And THAT is coming from someone with a Business Degree, not a smarmy tech geek.

Remember, we aren't TRYING to sell to the commodity market, this IS aimed at hobbyist.

Some "Professionals" are just too self absorbed to get that.

Last edited by iggy on 27-Mar-2017 at 02:07 AM.

ferrels 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 1:51:09
#106 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:
2000? so far i see some fifty votes in favour, of a crowd which is usally over-supportive. not that its impossible that someone takes their time and simply spams the poll with their votes via proxy over night. ;>)

I was being extremely generous in light of Hyperion not giving out any real numbers. I would realistically put the number of OS4 users at less than 1000. Of course there will be a die-hard OS4 fan will want to dispute this and flame me for stating such a "low" number, but until A-Eon or Hyperion offer up some real numbers, I'll continue to state that there is no real market for OS4 or the A1222 except for the fanatics with deep pockets and very low expectations.

ferrels 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 2:08:44
#107 ]
Cult Member

@iggy

Quote:
Don't mind Steven, everyone. He likes to think of himself as one of those "IT pros" because of his education. I was working in his field BEFORE there were formalized programs of education. He IS right, its just a hobby, but even if only the former user base is considered, it has the potential to grow. And THAT is coming from someone with a Business Degree, not a smarmy tech geek. Remember, we aren't TRYING to see to the commodity market, this IS aimed at hobbyist. Some "Professionals" are just too self absorbed to get that.

You must be intellectually challenged because all you do is turn to personal attacks when you think someone disagrees with you. Barring that, you use 2 or 3 different profiles on the same forum to attack people or to make yourself look like you have a strong argument. Yes, you are that transparent and self-absorbed. Self-absorbed? Yes, because you post the same rants on almost every Amiga forum on the net. And at no point did I imply that OS4 or the Tabor is aimed at anyone other than the hobbyist. But Amigang implied it with his survery and posting. So thank you for re-stating my position without even realizing it.

So since you missed it, I'll re-state it.....OS4 and the Tabor have no real market outside of the OS4 hobbyist community where the fanbase is fanatical, has deep pockets and very low expectations. OS4 has rough feature parity with Windows 98 and the Tabor will perform on par with systems from roughly the same time period as Windows 98.

I doubt that A-Eon will sell more than 200 Tabors which for such a small and shrinking community might be considered a success but isn't sustainable as a business model, hobbyland or otherwise. End of the road......

Last edited by ferrels on 27-Mar-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 27-Mar-2017 at 02:28 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 6:02:33
#108 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

As of October 2017 Amistore had 900 registered users who'd made around 3000 purchases between them, with each customer making at least one purchase.

A-EON have made 500 dual core Cyrus boards and 1000 Tabor boards. I don't know how many Cyrus boards AOTL had in their initial shipment but they all sold quickly and they are at least their second shipment. They reported that quite a number of their customers are either new to OS4 or completely new to Amiga. Amigakit aren't even selling boards or systems to customers yet, it seems they are too busy supplying stock to dealers.

I don't know if they'll be able to sell them all in a reasonable time frame of less than 2 years but I'm cautiously optimistic.

ferrels 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 6:07:13
#109 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

I honestly hope I'm wrong. I'm just not seeing enough interest in the Tabor to make for a sustainable business. If OS4 got multi-core support and a decent browser and some modern productivity software I'd be much more optimistic. Heck, I'd buy a Tabor if those things materialized.

klx300r 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 6:15:43
#110 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Rob wrote:
@ferrels

As of October 2017 Amistore had 900 registered users who'd made around 3000 purchases between them, with each customer making at least one purchase.

A-EON have made 500 dual core Cyrus boards and 1000 Tabor boards. I don't know how many Cyrus boards AOTL had in their initial shipment but they all sold quickly and they are at least their second shipment. They reported that quite a number of their customers are either new to OS4 or completely new to Amiga. Amigakit aren't even selling boards or systems to customers yet, it seems they are too busy supplying stock to dealers.

I don't know if they'll be able to sell them all in a reasonable time frame of less than 2 years but I'm cautiously optimistic.

well when I bought my X1000 I recall asking Trevor via email if there was going to be another successor to the X1000 as the X1000 sales were limited to the available PA-6T CPU's and his response was something to the effect that if all the X1000's in stock sell out and there's demand for a new model then yes else no.
SO it's pretty basic business practice that IF there was no demand for the X5000 or Tabor then A-Eon would not be producing them

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

BSzili 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 6:54:11
#111 ]

@Hans

Your insistence that GLES2 is equals any desktop OpenGL implementation is also irksome. You also pretend that REGAL doesn't exist depending on what day it is, and add this weird footnotes about how hard it would be do everything from scratch. Very strange.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 8:19:02
#112 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

I bought Personal Paint 68k and am registered customer too and will certainly not buy Tabor. It says nothing about how many might buy Tabor in future. The same is true about the MorphOS counter often mentioned in discussions. If they sell all like planned gratulation from me. But I do not think that new expensive PPC hardware will add substantial numbers of new users. If I am wrong you should see lots of new users here or on amigans and of course the hyperion forum.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 27-Mar-2017 at 08:21 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 8:28:22
#113 ]
Elite Member

@Zylesea

general you are right. Both MorphOS and AmigaOS with 68k integration like Petunia are more optimised for PPC than Aros PPC would be, on the other side Aros PPC 64bit, SMP and Gallium would be way ahead of the others so there might be interest again.

iggy 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 9:27:29
#114 ]

@ferrels

You always fall back on that one, Steve.
But, since I'm fairly sure I have more education than you, I can't be that stupid.
And you tend to be rather repetitive and self absorbed yourself.

Further, IF you'd been paying attention, you would have noticed that I'm not a big advocate of either Tabor or OS4. But your prediction of sales numbers? Way off.

There shouldn't be any problem selling the initial 500.

The purchase does not require "deep pockets", its far cheap than other OS4 systems (other than running a crippled emulation under UAE).

And comparisons to Microsoft's older OS'?
AmigaOS was more advanced than Windows98 IN '98.
If it has only advanced this far since then, well not having over 300 programmers working on it IS a slight disadvantage.

ALTHOUGH the development pace at Microsoft is pretty underwhelming. Considering the resources devoted to it.
And the competition?
It all seems based on a OS developed when I was a child (UNIX).

As to business model, the economic sense of doing all that the community is doing, etc., you don't seem to be paying attention to your own argument.
Its hobby oriented, man.
We're doing what we WANT to do, and building what we WANT to have.

If YOU don't like it, you're free to leave.

Funny, I stopped in to edit out my last comment, as I didn't feel like interacting with you, yet again.
But, overall, I feel pretty comfortable with my position.
And you've help remind me of why I went back for the MBA, so I wasn't directly involved in a field primarily composed of intelligent eccentrics.

Last edited by iggy on 27-Mar-2017 at 09:34 AM.

iggy 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 11:20:38
#115 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
...Aros PPC 64bit, SMP and Gallium would be way ahead of the others so there might be interest again

Yes, the idea has grabbed my attention, and adding 68K integration might be possible.

In any case, I expect to see some continuing development of MorphOS, even with the announced fork to X64.

AROS PPC would have the advantage of being open.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 12:32:42
#116 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
AmigaOS was more advanced than Windows98 IN '98.

omg.. thats kind of opinion that made and still makes the whole amiga audience the laughing stock in the whole wide computer world.

amiga as a whole, not just the opereting system, might still have advantages in some particular areas over a pc with windows, may be even after '95, but insisting, that it was altogether more advanced, none will take you seriouly any more. im sure, you would have hard time to convince anyone, any amigalike ng system today is more advanced than windows 95 was, while they will still likely agree it is better than windows3.11, if not for the lack of software.

iggy 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 12:49:06
#117 ]

@wawa

Lack of software was a problem for all alternate OS', once PCs and Macs became entrenched.
I think I've mentioned this before, but I was selling 68K based systems in the '80s and '90s.

My first real clue that we were doomed came when we were visited by a group of IBM engineers.
They were impressed with what we were selling, comparing it to a mini IBM360 (our basic system supported four users).
BUT, they also handed my a pre-release copy of Window3.0.

The first thing that worried me was the it was easy to figure out without previous instruction.
The second was that the immense market of IBM compatible software would now be augmented by such an easy interface.

I gained no points by explaining to the head of the company that it seemed like the market might soon be reduced to primarily two companies.

As to the primary difference I see between older variant of Windows and AmigaOS?
Windows was a GUI layered over DOS, and frankly DOS was a pretty horrifying rip off of CPM.
And PCs relied on a crude bootstrapping system inherited from CPM, the bios.
AmigaOS starts out in rom (rather like RISC OS), it has a fully incorporated GUI, and it can be augmented by further modules loaded from disk.

BTW - Why IBM went for Intel cpus and DOS, instead of Motorola cpus and Xenix is still a mystery to me.

But I think its further proof that the "experts" are actually pretty clueless.
In short, the entire success of the PC is due more to market forces than any real superiority.
And this "it will be better in the next generation" evolution has been painful, prolonged, and has cost far too much money.

We could have done SO much better if the standards hadn't congealed around the hot mess PCs once were.

Yeah, we kind of have it sorted out now.
But look at what we've been through, just to get to where everything tends to resemble an Amiga.

Last edited by iggy on 27-Mar-2017 at 12:50 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 13:15:55
#118 ]
Elite Member

@iggy

Quote:
They were impressed with what we were selling, comparing it to a mini IBM360 (our basic system supported four users).

i dont get it.. you compare amiga (again, as a whole system, not only the sole os) with some mainframe from 60-70ties?

Quote:
BUT, they also handed my a pre-release copy of Window3.0.

must be earlier than 95/98 though?

Quote:
The first thing that worried me was the it was easy to figure out without previous instruction.

win3.x was though still crap in comparison with workbench, thats given.

Quote:
Windows was a GUI layered over DOS

same as workbench is a gui over amigados, which you can boot to without the s-s same as you could to underlaying dos in win95. win95, be it gui over cruddy dos, gave you practicably usable multitasking though, which caught up with the major advantage of amiga.

Quote:
We could have done SO much better if the standards hadn't congealed around the hot mess PCs once were.

you have stated, that amiga-os was better than windows 98. that seems to me that it was meant as a comment about reality, not "alternative facts", personal wishes or general alternative reality.

Quote:
But look at what we've been through, just to get to where everything tends to resemble an Amiga.

i dont identify myself personally with a computer. besides even though amiga was leading edge in certain areas for a moment, almost none of its features is an original or absolutely exclusive invention.

Last edited by wawa on 27-Mar-2017 at 02:49 PM.

ferrels 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 17:00:55
#119 ]
Cult Member

@iggy

Quote:
Funny, I stopped in to edit out my last comment, as I didn't feel like interacting with you, yet again. But, overall, I feel pretty comfortable with my position. And you've help remind me of why I went back for the MBA, so I wasn't directly involved in a field primarily composed of intelligent eccentrics.

You're so petty, and again, you have to resort to personal attacks and make claims about how you're so intelligent and educated compared to everyone else. At least you didn't resort to making several more personal attacks from your 3 other profiles on here, but I expect you will sooner or later.

I don't need to throw my education credentials around to prove I'm intelligent but since you brought it up, I'll stand my education up against yours any day. I have a B.S. in Computer Science from the Univ. of Tampa and a M.S in Computer Science from the Univ of Maryland and I also run a software development company that's doing quite well: http://lidarwidgets.com

So I'm well versed in what it takes to run a sustainable business as well as being quite capable in IT matters. I suspect you got an MBA from an online diploma mill.

You obviously have a problem with anger management and reading comprehension because in every post I've made on this thread, I asserted that the Tabor and OS4 will never step outside the realm of the hobbyist, but you're intent on picking a fight just for the sake of fighting. With that kind of anger and your inferiority complex you really should seek some professional help and spend your time doing something other than trolling every OS4/Amiga/AROS/MorphOS forum on the net to pick fights and throw your "education" around.

Last edited by ferrels on 27-Mar-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 27-Mar-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 27-Mar-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Rob 
Posted on 27-Mar-2017 18:26:44
#120 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
general you are right. Both MorphOS and AmigaOS with 68k integration like Petunia are more optimised for PPC than Aros PPC would be, on the other side Aros PPC 64bit, SMP and Gallium would be way ahead of the others so there might be interest again.

Is there proper support for Radeon video hardware in AROS. It's been a long time since I download an ISO but last time I checked even VESA modes didn't display correctly on my my 4670.

If that hasn't been addressed AROS PPC would be way behind OS4 and MorphOS in graphical capabilities.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle