Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 zipper:  17 mins ago
 Templario:  23 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  37 mins ago
 RobertB:  42 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  58 mins ago
 janelancy:  59 mins ago
 -Sam-:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga.org is broken?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
tygre 
Amiga.org is broken?
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 2:26:48
#1 ]

Hi all!

Am I the only one who sees a broken Amiga.org site currently? I cannot even log-in... Did I miss something?

Take care!
Tygre

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Re: Amiga.org is broken?
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 2:28:35
#2 ]

@tygre

works for me....

-- eliyahu

NomadOfNorad 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 3:11:15
#3 ]
Cult Member
From: Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy

@tygre

Maybe something specific to the particular web browser is not working right on that page. What browser is this on? And have you tried it with a different browser?

ferrels 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 3:23:01
#4 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Are you ever going to get around to lifting the ban you placed on me back in January at Amiga.org? You said it would be lifted by Feb 5th but it's now April.

Quote:
You have been banned for the following reason: trolling Date the ban will be lifted: 02-05-2017, 02:00 PM

My account name there is: ferrellsl

drHirudo 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 6:01:57
#5 ]

Amiga.org is working fine, although it's not very active recently.

@ferrels
Quote:

02-05-2017, 02:00 PM

That's 2nd of May dude.

ferrels 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 7:00:51
#6 ]
Cult Member

@drHirudo

Ah, I was going by the US date format, which is February.

Well, no matter. Usage over at Amiga.org has dropped off to the point of it being irrelevant because of the bans and censorship. They will ban you for almost anything there now. In my case I had stated that I had a hard time understanding why OS4 users cling so tightly to OS4 and PPC hardware, hardly trolling or offensive. Starting to think someone there has a personal issue with me......If they have banned others for 5 months for such innocuous statements it's no wonder that Amiga.org is a ghost town these days.

Last edited by ferrels on 10-Apr-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 7:36:07
#7 ]

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:

Well, no matter. Usage over at Amiga.org has dropped off to the point of it being irrelevant because of the bans and censorship. They will ban you for almost anything there now. In my case I had stated that I had a hard time understanding why OS4 users cling so tightly to OS4 and PPC hardware, hardly trolling or offensive. Starting to think someone there has a personal issue with me......If they have banned others for 5 months for such innocuous statements it's no wonder that Amiga.org is a ghost town these days.

People were already leaving in their droves because of all the negative and judgemental comments and generally not being a nice place to be. Tightening down on intolerance and negativity was an attempt to stem that flow of people leaving, but came too late.

I don't know your original intentions with posting such a remark, but if you can't see how that could be inflammatory then perhaps there were more posts you made that collectively resulted in your ban. Generally, moderation decisions should be questioned in private, not in public.

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 8:11:03
#8 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

if it was just that it is a hard decision but I do not know how you wrote that. There were a lot of very emotional discussions soon became personal

OlafS25 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 8:12:19
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

I do not understand that either but of course you do not need to mention that in every OS4 related thread. It is always when, where and how you say something...

paolone 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 8:18:53
#10 ]

@Daedalus

Quote:

I don't know your original intentions with posting such a remark, but if you can't see how that could be inflammatory then perhaps there were more posts you made that collectively resulted in your ban. Generally, moderation decisions should be questioned in private, not in public.

Ferrels lacks a little bit of diplomacy and his way of posting is quite direct: this might easily be mistaken for trolling. But if it's true moderation decisions should be questioned in private, and not in public, I wonder how a banned person can argue if he's been... well, banned. And, by the way, complaining about a forum on another forum is not polite, but it's definitely human. I have stopped posting news about Icaros Desktop in Amiga.org's news section the day a post about a new release had been rejected, and I now hardly remember to look at that forum pages again, because I also stopped following it.

Forum moderators are the ones deciding the fate of their site, so their decisions are something they have to live, or "die", with.

ferrels 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 9:13:55
#11 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

I wasn't questioning the decision. I was questioning the date. I misinterpreted the length of the ban because of the European dates which we're not accustomed to in the United States, but still, 4 months is pretty harsh. But I'm not the only one who has noticed the level of censorship at A.org and the heavy handed use of bans there. I'll probably be banned here as well for my comments in this thread and my posts deleted too. That seems to be the standard operating procedure for stepping out of line A.org and with some of the moderators working both sites, it only makes sense.

Last edited by ferrels on 10-Apr-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 9:19:52
#12 ]

@paolone

Quote:

paolone wrote:
@Daedalus

Quote:

Ferrels lacks a little bit of diplomacy and his way of posting is quite direct: this might easily be mistaken for trolling.

Whether or not it's trolling doesn't matter. If it's possibly going to derail yet another thread into arguments, slagging and trolling from others, it's best nipped in the bud. And if someone cannot tell that their comments might have such an effect, then they have probably made similar comments previously without realising their effects. I doubt anyone on an Amiga forum these days could be so naive however.

Quote:
But if it's true moderation decisions should be questioned in private, and not in public, I wonder how a banned person can argue if he's been... well, banned.

In this case, he could easily have sent the mod in question a PM here instead of posting in a public thread. In general, most forums have a contact email address that could be used, and often there are also IRC channels in which contact can be made.

@OlafS25

Exactly.

Daedalus 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 9:24:14
#13 ]

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@Daedalus

I wasn't questioning the decision. I was questioning the date. I misinterpreted the length of the ban...

Indeed, but your following post, while it may or may not be directly related to your own case, is certainly questioning the AO moderation over what could easily be interpreted as an inflammatory and leading statement.

tygre 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 13:40:59
#14 ]

@thread

Thanks for confirming that AOrg wors fine, I tried it again this morning and, indeed, everything is good! It must have been a temporary glitch on my side...

This is what I got yesterday

First Screenshot
Second Screenshot

Today, everything is good!

wawa 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 15:37:01
#15 ]
Elite Member

i really wonder.. after there has been a lot of, lets call it over-moderation on this very site as much as on a.org at some point, since then there is effectively no fealt moderation on any of them anymore, and it isnt any worse as it was back then.

maybe its due to the low attendance, but this has been rather a result of moderation as well as of policies, mostly related to the so-called ng platforms, which led to further audience drain. but this is common for all the sites, with the actual or supposed ng-bias. usually there are some three topics being attended a regular day, while sites as eab or a1k display as lively traffic as usual. but whats wrong about it? if there is anything to talk of, people will, if not the bandwidth will be spared.

Last edited by wawa on 10-Apr-2017 at 03:37 PM.

tygre 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 15:44:09
#16 ]

@thread

Could you please move discussions about moderation/topics/relevancy into another thread?

Mine was only intended to share my concerns that AOrg may have been down (and because at the time I could not connect to AOrg)...

Thanks!

wawa 
Posted on 10-Apr-2017 16:17:24
#17 ]
Elite Member

@tygre

sorry. didnt mean to hijack it. but i think, as your problem is solved, we can simply leave it at that.

tygre 
Posted on 12-Apr-2017 17:36:03
#18 ]

@wawa

No worries!

ferrels 
Posted on 12-Apr-2017 20:28:34
#19 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

Quote:
People were already leaving in their droves because of all the negative and judgemental comments and generally not being a nice place to be. Tightening down on intolerance and negativity was an attempt to stem that flow of people leaving, but came too late.

I will have to disagree with you on this one. Things quickly went downhill after A.org was taken over by A-Eon. They alienated their user base. The censorship and heavy use of bans are what drove people away and kept them away. And now there really aren't any reasons to return since the usage has dropped to almost non-existent levels. These days, A.org is simply a place where the less than 2000 OS4 users get together to slap each other on the backs and talk about what fabulous hardware they have and how OS4 is the best thing since sliced bread while classic Amiga users seem to have moved over to the English Amiga Board or to Amigans. Just comparing the topic view numbers between A.org and these two other sites and you can see the dramatic differences. I used to see hundreds of views and replies per topic at A.org, now a topic is lucky to have more than 10 views, let alone 10 responses.

Last edited by ferrels on 12-Apr-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 12-Apr-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 13-Apr-2017 8:30:48
#20 ]

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@Daedalus

I will have to disagree with you on this one. Things quickly went downhill after A.org was taken over by A-Eon. They alienated their user base. The censorship and heavy use of bans are what drove people away and kept them away. And now there really aren't any reasons to return since the usage has dropped to almost non-existent levels.

Perceptions are different I guess, I can only talk from my point of view and those in the same position at the time, but I and many others had already left by the time A-Eon came along. AO was basically bandit country, but it appears that's your personal preference for a forum and that's fine too. You can always start up your own Moo clone and enjoy yourself there if you like.

Quote:
These days, A.org is simply a place where the less than 2000 OS4 users get together to slap each other on the backs and talk about what fabulous hardware they have and how OS4 is the best thing since sliced bread while classic Amiga users seem to have moved over to the English Amiga Board or to Amigans.

Again, it's funny how perceptions differ. I see a mix of threads on AO the occasional time I end up there looking for something. Yes, there's very little traffic, but I think the main thing to note is that not every thread that mentions OS4 immediately descends into a hatefest, which was the case in the past and apparently is what you seemed to enjoy. Just having a quick look now, and 9 of the 10 threads on the front page are *not* OS4 topics, and the only one that is, is about emulation.
And I also feel you have it a bit backwards with the other sites. Amigans is predominantly OS4 users and topics, and EAB has a classic focus but actually seems to have relatively civilised discussions about all platforms. Perhaps it's because EAB doesn't have the recently active topics list, so those who make lots of noise for noise's sake don't get as much of the front-page glory.

Quote:
Just comparing the topic view numbers between A.org and these two other sites and you can see the dramatic differences. I used to see hundreds of views and replies per topic at A.org, now a topic is lucky to have more than 10 views, let alone 10 responses.

You do know the view counters on AO have been broken for years now, don't you? If you look at them, they're always exactly (number of replies + 1).

Last edited by Daedalus on 13-Apr-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle