Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  37 mins ago
 Gunnar:  52 mins ago
 Rob:  58 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga.org is broken?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
OlafS25 
Re: Amiga.org is broken?
Posted on 13-Apr-2017 9:05:48
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Daedalus

some people try to bring up 4.X related discussions on eab but that mostly quickly fails. But you are right, simply because of lack of interest, not because of bashing each others or flamefests. Regarding amiga.org, it was similar as eab is now, a pure 68k (or how people here call it "classic") orientated forum. They have changed that, used a lot of bans against different people and now most people have left. Their decisios... for me buying a forum only makes sense if you keep the users but obviously buying the domain was priority...

Profile     Report this post  
ferrels 
Posted on 13-Apr-2017 18:39:09
#22 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

Quote:
the main thing to note is that not every thread that mentions OS4 immediately descends into a hatefest, which was the case in the past and apparently is what you seemed to enjoy.

My, that's a bit harsh coming from someone who knows nothing about me! I've never enjoyed "hatefests". Maybe this kind of name-calling and finger-pointing is what has driven so many people away from A.org?

I was an OS4 user for quite a few years and owned a PegII which also dual booted MOS. I was critical of OS4 in the areas where it was weak and pointed out those weaknesses in hopes that they'd be rectified, but alas, 10 years later and nothing had changed so I finally got tired of waiting for change and sold the PegII and moved on to AROS.

And the view counters at A.org should be either fixed or eliminated if they report false numbers. I suspect that they're "broken" on purpose.

@OlafS25

Quote:
for me buying a forum only makes sense if you keep the users but obviously buying the domain was priority...

That's a very good point and makes perfect sense.

Last edited by ferrels on 13-Apr-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 13-Apr-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 13-Apr-2017 21:07:41
#23 ]

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:

My, that's a bit harsh coming from someone who knows nothing about me! I've never enjoyed "hatefests". Maybe this kind of name-calling and finger-pointing is what has driven so many people away from A.org?

Interesting that you immediately concluded that I was calling you names, despite what I've said in previous posts. So let me rephrase: whether or not you're deliberately trolling or hating is inconsequential to the point. Posting inflammatory remarks will likely, if left unchecked, cause a thread to rapidly descend into a hatefest fuelled by the regular suspects who love that sort of thing, which is what I was talking about. There's nothing personal about you there, it's all based on the information in this thread. So relax, and try not to imagine everyone's out to get you.

ferrels 
Posted on 14-Apr-2017 4:07:53
#24 ]
Cult Member

@Daedalus

Quote:

@ferrels

...descends into a hatefest, which was the case in the past and apparently is what you seemed to enjoy.

Hmm....I must have missed something because you clearly directed your comment at me and used the pronoun "you". It doesn't get any more direct or personal than that. And I'm not imagining anything. You clearly implied that I'm an OS4 hater and that I enjoyed "hatefests", which I don't. Then when you get called out for it, you backpedal and imply that I have paranoid tendencies. Real smooth.....

Go ahead, throw a few more names out there or a few more adverbs with negative connotations. You're so very good at it.

Last edited by ferrels on 14-Apr-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 14-Apr-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 14-Apr-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 14-Apr-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Last edited by ferrels on 14-Apr-2017 at 04:09 AM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 14-Apr-2017 8:18:33
#25 ]

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@Daedalus

Quote:

@ferrels

...descends into a hatefest, which was the case in the past and apparently is what you seemed to enjoy.

Hmm....I must have missed something because you clearly directed your comment at me and used the pronoun "you". It doesn't get any more direct or personal than that.

Did you not prefer AO before the strict moderation? Because the hatefests that were happening around that time were an everyday feature, and the way you were talking makes it sound like you preferred that moderation style (i.e. none). If you didn't, that's fine, but then I wouldn't have thought you'd have a problem with the moderation.

I thought I was pretty clear about you not being involved in the hatefest yourself, then I tried to clarify that point further.

Quote:
And I'm not imagining anything. You clearly implied that I'm an OS4 hater and that I enjoyed "hatefests", which I don't.

The implication was that you preferred having the hatefests to not having them. I've made it very clear that I don't think you were involved in the actual slagging match (other than potentially triggering them - whether intentionally or unintentionally is not something we can know). What else do you want? All I was saying (again) was that, if you post something that's likely to enrage users, it will invariably descend into a mess of insults and putdowns.

Quote:
Then when you get called out for it, you backpedal and imply that I have paranoid tendencies. Real smooth.....

No backpedalling, just clarifying. I was making the point that you seem to try to find the most negative and personal meaning in everything you read, which isn't really a healthy attitude to have. Why not try to see a neutral, or heavens forbid, positive aspect to things other people say? Immediately jumping on the negative aspect of anything is only going to get you annoyed, and certainly won't help you avoid bans.

Quote:
Go ahead, throw a few more names out there or a few more adverbs with negative connotations. You're so very good at it.

Eh? Who's getting personal now?

tygre 
Posted on 18-Apr-2017 3:02:44
#26 ]

@thead

Hi all!

Please, this thread is NOT intended to debate the merits of AOrg... It is just a place for me to share problems that I have been encountering with AOrg recently, again tonight!

Please, have a look at this screenshot, it shows the kind of problems that I have: it seems like the CSS or something is not loaded... I display the Web console at the bottom...

If I want to login, I receive this error with this message in Web console...

What am I missing?

Cheers!

Amiboy 
Posted on 18-Apr-2017 10:47:19
#27 ]

@thread,

I'm having an issue with a.org.

I can log in OK, and access my PM's and profile, however all forums/threads are locked off.

I can read them, but I cannot post a reply or start a new thread, with the following message popping up:

"AmiBoy, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons: Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system? If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation."

Some kind soul I met on an IRC channel has posted a thread about my issues on a.org on my behalf about 3 weeks ago now, but as yet no change for me.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

saimon69 
Posted on 18-Apr-2017 18:15:32
#28 ]

@Amiboy

Have similar problems (no CSS, incorrect login sign) if i access a.org either from my cellphone or from my netbook where i live (maybe the IP of the wireless router is blacklisted?)

Templario 
Posted on 18-Apr-2017 19:41:08
#29 ]
Elite Member

The web doesn't show correctly with Opera and Firefox under Windows.

eliyahu 
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 1:23:46
#30 ]

@Amiboy

i hadn't seen the post or i would have corrected it ASAP. not sure what happened, but you should be fine now. in future PM me or one of the other admins directly so we can get this sort of thing sorted quickly. sorry for the inconvenience!

-- eliyahu

tygre 
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 2:01:29
#31 ]

@saimon69

Yes, that could be some kind of problems with the IP: I believe that it is what is happening to me... When I am outside home, I can access AOrg fine but at home, I got all these weird behaviours...

Take care!

Drummerboy 
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 2:18:45
#32 ]

Here is working fine.

C= VIC 20 / 64 / SX64/ 128

Atari 600XL (SIC Cartdridge)
Atari 800XL (SIO2SD Unit)

Jay Miner`s Atari 2600 - Wood front -

"Amiga, this Computer have a Own Live"

Amiboy 
Posted on 19-Apr-2017 5:55:59
#33 ]

@eliyahu

Thanks very much! Sorry would have PM'd on a.org, but couldn't for life of me find a list of moderators that I could use anywhere on the site.

So glad its all sorted now.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

tygre 
Posted on 25-May-2017 2:33:30
#34 ]

Hi all!

After many tests, it seems that my home IP address has been banned from Amiga.org... I can connect and browse from work or libraries... Who should I talk to to sort this out?

Thanks!

persia 
Posted on 25-May-2017 10:18:42
#35 ]

@tygre

They banned me and my ip address, god know why, they don't explain they just ban, eventually I switched ISPs and opened a new account over there. But for me it's not the same place, it's quieter and less interesting. I don't go there anymore.

eliyahu 
Posted on 25-May-2017 15:30:29
#36 ]

@tygre

i wish i knew how i could turn that damned 'feature' off. you're not the only one who is affected by this on a regular basis. try sending matthew a PM (@amigakit). maybe he can figure out a solution.

@persia

i'm sorry to hear about this, especially since the moderator who issued the ban didn't tell anyone else. and since i'm the only active mod over there these days, i'd be happy to reverse it if you'd like to come back. i wondered where you had gone!

-- eliyahu

number6 
Posted on 25-May-2017 15:41:21
#37 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Is there any chance on this green earth that the site will ever repair "views", which still matches "Posts" (+1).

The site to any casual viewer can only conclude that the only person reading any posts....
is the poster themself.

eliyahu 
Posted on 25-May-2017 15:42:41
#38 ]

@number6

yeah, yeah. i know. it's been broken for years. unfortunately i don't have access to the actual file system on the server, so i can't fix things like that. i'm just a mod. matthew is still your contact for things like that.

edit: yay! i still haven't fixed it, but at least i've turned them off for now...

-- eliyahu

Last edited by eliyahu on 25-May-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Trev 
Posted on 25-May-2017 23:34:28
#39 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

I haven't been able to use Amiga.org since changing ISPs in June 2016. Matthew could never figure out the problem. It's probably something simple in the Apache config like an incorrectly formatted CIDR range.

Side note, this is my first post to Amigaworld.net in five and a half years. Wow.

A500/clockport/RRNet
A600/A603

tygre 
Posted on 30-May-2017 0:23:59
#40 ]

@eliyahu

Thanks, will PM Matthew!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle