Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  21 mins ago
 matthey:  27 mins ago
 kolla:  35 mins ago
 amigakit:  58 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 29 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  NOKIA have dropped the ball with the new 3310 (2017) MMS problem
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
BigD 
Re: NOKIA have dropped the ball with the new 3310 (2017) MMS problem
Posted on 28-Jun-2017 23:38:38
#21 ]
Elite Member

@WolfpackN64

I didn't even bother taking my laptop in when it had a liquid spill. I dried it all out and sourced isopropyl alcohol etc diagnosed the faults as being a faulty keyboard and damaged memory module and fitted it all myself. They'd have kittens now if I took it back in for any sort of diagnostic

Apple stores are full of saps that aren't interested in the base tech and would rather just pay £200 for piece of mind Not me suckers

Profile     Report this post  
BigD 
Posted on 28-Jun-2017 23:41:17
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

... oh yeah I took the time to upgrade it with an internal Blu-Ray writer while it was open

Most Apple Store 'genuises' wouldn't know that was possible because Steve Jobs decreed it blasphemy

Raffaele 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 8:28:40
#23 ]

@BigD

/Flamebait mode on/

Does the new CommodoreGB Phone handle MMS flawlessly?

/Flamebait mode off/

paolone 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 10:13:00
#24 ]

@Raffaele

MMS? What the hell are MMS? :D

Well yes, obviously the Leo handles MMS, however I'd personally kill anyone sending me MMS because they are a dead, barely compatible-among-phones technology requiring direct connection to carrier providers networks and sometimes even receiving them may involve costs. They directly remind me the age when Nokia created animated SMS using special ascii codes that other phones could not handle, and my Philips and Ericsson phones showed me as a chaotic mess of randomic symbols. Luckily this incredibly stupid idea died with SMS being used at all.

By the way, it's funny to see how Nokia sold its phones more easily thanks to the fact that they supported animated SMS. When I was really younger than today, I often heard people bashing me because I didn't buy the same Nokia phones they perfered, 'cos "I can see the animated stuff people send me". No matter if I could catch the signal with my Ericsson in the very same place where they could not get the line. The day SMS went bust thanks to smartphones and the Internet, Nokia went bust as well.

@BigD

As for the topic, that's the second thread opened here about new Nokia 3310 not doing this or that, with the other one bashing tech journalists because they did the unforgivable sin of not checking for calendar data import/export. Well, let's try to forget that Nokia 3310 is completely off topic on amigaworld.org, the right answer is: No-one forced you to buy a 90's-age phone, although modernised.

The lack of Whatsapp cuts 3310 buyers OFF the messaging today, since no one dares to send SMS or MMS to people anymore. Why paying to send 160-bound character messages when unlimited size messages can be sent for free, using the pre-paid internet connection? So tech journalists rightly COMPLAIN for that, because thinking of a whatsapp client was still possible for Nokia. They could handle the coding if they wanted and this would have meant 3310 users could actually sent messages the way everyone else uses in year 2017. Problem is heavier if you think Whatsapp completely REPLACED mms. Are you insanely against whatsapp for any political/ideological reason? Well, you have to deal with using old protocols that are now less and less used by people, taking all the risks these old protocols bring with them in the modern age. To simply put: nobody forbids you to use a old Polaroid camera or a Super-8 film today, but you have to deal with the difficulty to find them in shops and people able to develop a Super-8 film. In the tech computing world problems are similar, because old things, even if they are well-known and established, can become incompatible (MMS) or wrongly supported. The death process is just faster.

Being 'retro' does not mean forgetting about the real, current world. Would you still use AmigaOS4, MorphOS or AROS if they deined you to access the Internet at all? Once upon a long ago we used MMS to send small pictures to friends, today we use Whatsapp. End of the story.

That's why I would never ever buy a "old school" phone today: smartphones may have their problems, but al least they work as expected in the current age. And if I need something different... there's always an app for it.

Last edited by paolone on 29-Jun-2017 at 10:23 AM.

PR 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 10:34:17
#25 ]

Nokia E5 is fine. 2010.. Worked from the beginning. A new battery from USA. Think it's silly as I'm from the Nokialand.

Overall the "new" are made to talk as it is a telephone.

The next one is comming for the apps if the news are correct.

As We all know a few more weeks. Smiley..

Very Happy as eg. my syster came to visit from Spain. You still have the same?

She had changed a few others every two years. Glass broken with many friends.

Did a lot of roof,wall,floor renovation, dropped from the roof etc. +still works.

Many tell get Whatsapps,Face and all.

No. It's a phone. Liking Amiga&CorvetteWorld+txt and some photos. 5MegaPix is enough for work.

Bought a memory card for extra space inside. Glued the glass back after cleaning, and some screen covers. Retro like Amigas have to kear.

Can refer with two girls Samsungs or others.

Not a work machine. Can have fun and chat.

Regs from Nokialand. Hopefully the new is Better In linux.

Hating the point-finger display in all others. Fingers in oil? Keyboard, Amigaguy. CasioDatabank.

Just a choise for work.

Maybe understand if sticked in a pocket with keys, screws, and a hammer sometimes on/off;)

And not workin there so not an advert.

Last edited by PR on 29-Jun-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 10:35:21
# ]

@BigD

Quote:
Most of the other 'hipster' customers looked down their noses at me for haggling

A lot of hate for 'hipsters' with their WhatsApp and other useful post-1990s technology. In fact, a lot of bitterness and impotent rage in general. Where were these hipsters standing at the time and how did you know they were looking down their noses at you?

Report this post  
uponthevoid 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 10:35:59
#27 ]

@paolone

^ what he said.

I think sometimes it's a good idea to take a step back, have a deep breath of fresh air, and contemplate the big picture. and as 99% of us already know - big pictures should never be sent via MMS in 2017.

PR 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 10:42:36
#28 ]

Memory is not unlimited, very true. Have to stick in a computer sometimes in a year to get picturtes.

MassStorage and Net in a case of workneed, depends from operator.

Last edited by PR on 29-Jun-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Last edited by PR on 29-Jun-2017 at 10:52 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 12:15:55
#29 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Quote:
That's why I would never ever buy a "old school" phone today: smartphones may have their problems, but al least they work as expected in the current age. And if I need something different... there's always an app for it.

Smart Phones are not a social necessity in 2017 whatever Apple would want you to think! Again WhatsApp is not a social necessity what ever people may tell you. Most people get free text messages, minutes AND data with their contract and most people I know still send SMS messages. My point is not whether I should buy a smart phone (I don't want one so end of discussion) it's whether Nokia dropped the ball by pandering to nostalgia and marketing concerns rather than fully testing their product before launching!

SMS and MMS is well understood technology so no I don't buy you guff about comparing it to a Polaroid camera or Super8 film!

Yes WhatsApp is the trendy new App and yes a lot of people use and yes I have nothing against it. I just spend a lot of time on the internet on my computers and consider the bus, shopping centre and place of work opportunity to do something different! No one needs access to social media, email and WhatsApp 24/7 you just all got used to it to your detriment!

The Nokia 3310 is a simple phone for people that don't want to bother with Apps or fads or checking the bus transponder to see where it is rather than just checking the bus timetable! What should be expected of ALL products is that they actually do what it says on the box.

That's true of phones and computers just the same as wood stain

WolfpackN64 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 12:43:45
#30 ]

@paolone

No one I know thinks having WhatsApp is a necessity. If anything, usage of the app around me dropped. Most people still send SMS messages.

BigD 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 13:46:37
#31 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Also I'm not advocating the widespread use of MMS messages as they are ridiculously expensive at 50p a message. But I do think if someone has gone to the effort of sending one to you and it is costing them 50p then you should be able to see it on a handset that says it is compatible at the point of sale! That is all.

Last edited by BigD on 29-Jun-2017 at 01:47 PM.

PR 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 19:36:30
#32 ]

Ou nou.

Here You can send 1-500 messages for the same month payment 20-30e. Talk as long as You get bored.

Now there is no roaming payment so..

Never ever call these (don't know in english) where to get a taxi or so.

16 euro for two calls.

From the number can be seen. In law should be told how much cost.

We have different so Please forget and Sorry...

PR

Last edited by PR on 29-Jun-2017 at 07:39 PM.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 29-Jun-2017 22:24:12
#33 ]
Cult Member

@paolone

Quote:

paolone wrote:

The lack of Whatsapp cuts 3310 buyers OFF the messaging today, since no one dares to send SMS or MMS to people anymore. Why paying to send 160-bound character messages when unlimited size messages can be sent for free, using the pre-paid internet connection?

IMR some smart phones using S60 (Nokia) could sent pictures or VCFs via EMail ...

Most people today would not recognize them as smart phones today but the Nokia3310 was never one of them.

BigD 
Posted on 30-Jun-2017 18:04:58
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

This is the final correspondence from Nokia / HMD Global below

They have basically asked me to contact my network again to check the APN setting despite me informin them that I'd done that yesterday!

They blame the Network and the Network blames the handset! Result :

STALEMATE!

Quote:
Hello [NAME REMOVED FOR PRIVACY],

Thank you for your feedback.

Please be informed that the device is perfectly capable of sending and receiving MMS. We have tested this by creating a picture especially for this case where it shows the device receiving MMS in colours (see the attached file).

In our opinion you have the following options to execute:

1) To re-check with O2 the APN settings for the MMS (for O2 or O2 paydango), and within the messaging menu to select the new access point created for the MMS.

2) In order to see if this is a device issue, you can try with a SIM card and MMS APN from a different provider to check the MMS reception.

3) You can return the device if the above options do not work.

Referring to the calendar options, the phone is made like this by design and at no point, Nokia has stated that the calendar is to be interactive. The 3310 device is a feature phone and Nokia has always stated that the new 3310 is a phone that’s a classic with a modern twist - you can talk, text and play snake.

If you have any further inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,
Nokia Mobile Care Team

BigD 
Posted on 30-Jun-2017 18:12:49
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

.... I've asked them to contact O2 themselves with the correct APN settings for this new handset (they didn't have the specifics on file and had to guide me through them manually rather than send a text message to adjust them).

It just reeks of Nokia/HMD Global washing their hands of the problem. Marketing stunt complete so who cares about the actual user experience and customer support!

Other than that the handset is quite smart and fine for calls, SMS messaging, MP3s and Bluetooth. Shame about the calendar and MMS ease of use!

If anyone knows which UK networks may have the specific handset APN settings then let me know. I may consider swapping provider to them! I think Vodafone offer the handsets as part of their new contract deals so if anyone can configure them properly it would be them.

Last edited by BigD on 30-Jun-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 30-Jun-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 30-Jun-2017 at 06:34 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 3-Jul-2017 13:58:29
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Not only can I not import Calendar entries from my old phone (causing problems having to lug my old phone around as my personal organiser) but any entry that I make cannot be moved or copied to a different date! That again was a feature of the 2006 Nokia 3220 model. It's like Nokia/HMD Global have ignored ALL the other Nokia models between the 3310 and now and produced a product that doesn't match the 'proper' Nokia feature phones in many areas! I don't have a problem with them not competing with Smart Phones but they needed to eclipse the old phones to regain their reputation beyond a clever stunt. Yes it has a better camera, a SD card slot, a radio and an MP3 player but it does the basic worse than the old phones did with less ease of use and minor features missing for no reason.

I guess or the best Nokia engineers are now working for Samsung or Apple but common all they had to do is 'copy' and tweak the old software.

Regarding the problem with MMS messages I guess I'll just wait 2 months and hope O2 have been given the correct setting from Nokia by that point.

Cheese 
Posted on 3-Jul-2017 21:34:15
#37 ]

@BigD

Hmmm, have you considered this all might be just a deity's will at work?

"Delving into the past can be a dangerous exercise." -hyperionmp

"I've been a supporter of "REACTION" GUI because is an Amiga OS thing." -Snuffy

"I personally prefer a vision of do'ers and makers rather than

BigD 
Posted on 3-Jul-2017 22:06:29
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Cheese

I think He's got bigger fish to fry than a mobile phone manufacturer getting lazy on calendar features and not giving UK networks updated APN settings

At the end of the day Nokia/HMD Global got loads of free publicity off monkey journalists who wrote rubbish about Snake, push button keys and not being able to check WhatsApp every 5 seconds. Well played you money grabbing marketeers but you aren't a patch on the old Nokia engineers let down by Stephen Elop!

Welcome to the 21st century. How our society has 'evolved'

PR 
Posted on 5-Jul-2017 12:14:54
#39 ]

Usually got the manual. Todays they are digital with many manufacturers, not printed.

Calling allways works but Love the big thick book that says for first Thank You for purcas..

Skipping to use. ok. Few pages go to Sauna.

OneTimer1 
Posted on 5-Jul-2017 23:40:55
#40 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

... It's like Nokia/HMD Global have ignored ALL the other Nokia models between the 3310 and now and produced a product ...

They have not produced it ...

Last edited by OneTimer1 on 05-Jul-2017 at 11:54 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle