Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kiFla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kiFla:  4 mins ago
 kriz:  7 mins ago
 pixie:  27 mins ago
 retrofaza:  34 mins ago
 vox:  37 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 Maijestro:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 fingus:  3 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Apparently the A1XE/SE USB needs a HW fix too!
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
mbilla 
Apparently the A1XE/SE USB needs a HW fix too!
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 16:29:21
#1 ]

According to the German A1 mailing list the A1XE/SE needs a HW fix too for the USB ports.
the lines OUT to the USB ports do have SMD-capacitors instead of Pullup SMD Resistors.
The resistors should hold a given current after USB devices are connected/disconnected.
Now that capacitors are used this current is only available after a reset, not if devices are dis-/re-connected.

My Swissmemorystick works, my Zaurus too, but my card readers only after a reset.

So who will fix my board now?

It needs:
* onboard sound fix (yes I do have a Soundcard Live)
* onboard DMA fix which isn't easy to do as the pins of the southbridge aren't accessible due to the BGA case.
* onboard USB fix

Will Eyetech fix by board for free? Or exchange it for fully functional board?

What now?

Last edited by mbilla on 02-Jan-2005 at 04:30 PM.

and your PDAs and laptops ...
Psion 5mx Pro - Psion NetBook - Apple iPhone - MacBook Pro

Profile     Report this post  
mlehto 
Re: Apparently the A1XE/SE USB needs a HW fix too!
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 16:57:00
#2 ]

@mbilla

Is that "official" now ?? Is it real ??

That is, what I think from start (my board is from 1st batch), that USB have some HW-brob. I had lot of difficulties with Linux.

For me is enought, if I can get more or less official and verified instructions to make these fixes.

But ... it was also something, what I waited, these early boards are anyway developer-boards :)

It is also difficult to make any bug-reports to OS4-team, since I cannot know, what is bug in sw and what is due hw.

Miikka

Troels 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 16:57:02
#3 ]
Elite Member

@mbilla

Nooo, not more bad news about the A1 hardware...

I really hope that they have tested the µA1 and is 110% certain it works as advertised. Wonder what Eyetech will do about this new problem I must admit I am not too impressed about the way they have handled the other problems with the A1 boards.

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:04:08
#4 ]

@Troels

Have to also remember, that these boards are not designed nor made by eyetech. For MAI eyetech is client, and how much they told about or even know about brobs ? Since they developed own arctiaS specified code to Linux, it may be, that they didn't know it themselves. Again, this is pure speculation.

It may be better to think, how to manage fixes than blame eyetech, or even MAI. #### things happens.

So, I have suffered USB and DMA probs from late 2002 and I don't have bad feelings. OS4 is nice and looks all the time better and better :)

Miikka

zerohero 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:10:17
#5 ]
Team Member

@mbilla

The USB-thing will only show itself when there are two devices plugged in and you pull one out and put it back in, then it won't be recognised. I had the chance of fixing this a few weeks ago, but to me it wasn't that important, at that time. Maybe later.

Considering this, and the fact that you can put a SiI0608 IDE card in the machine, the problems aren't that big, IMHO.

Regards,

Jocke 'Zerohero' Birging

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:10:42
#6 ]

@All

Don't take me wrong, these bugs have to fix, they are quite annoying.

Mr. Alan Redhouse, if you read this, can you make any comments ??

Miikka

hotrod 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:11:08
#7 ]
Elite Member

@mlehto

I can think of two things that would please me. A free or low-cost fix for my motherboards or some trade-in deal for the A1 XC once they becomes available.

Coder 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:13:50
#8 ]
Team Member

The early SE boards are developer boards. So you can run into something. But for me it's the USB and the sound. And together they make a big part of the machine. I don't care about the DMA, really. I just care that my USB works and I can play music. And really I don't want to send my board all the way thru the world and back with the costs that come with it. That will be a lot.

Coder

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:20:38
#9 ]

@mbilla

Waiting for Eyetech to fix the A1's problems is probably futile. Their response to date has been less than impressive.

So far a very few A1 dealers seem to be able to perform the XE USB and DMA fixes, but you have to pay for the work and two lots of shipping. Given the small number of dealers doing the fix, shipping going to be a big issue. Sending an A1 internationally with the required amount of damage insurance is not going to be cheap.

Still, there's one small positive point for you lot with buggy XEs: you're better off then those of us with SE boards. Nobody is doing fixes for those.

Coder 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:24:43
#10 ]
Team Member

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
Sending an A1 internationally with the required amount of damage insurance is not going to be cheap.

Don't get me started! I already spend a lot on sending the board and customs. So if I ship it again now and the customs when it comes back, oh boy. That is not an option for me.

Quote:
Still, there's one small positive point for you lot with buggy XEs: you're better off then those of us with SE boards. Nobody is doing fixes for those.

Hey, I am an SE owner!

Coder

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:37:13
#11 ]

@Coder

Price of parts are somewhere zero to nothing ... of course, if you can found them nearby, where you live. For repairing is suitable some enought well equipped electronics repairing shop. I can find them from Finland, and this place is middle of nowhere ... of course it is not free, you have to pay something for them.

Different thing is, if you board is relatively new, and you have warranty... it makes things more complicated.

But ... I wait, that Mr. Redhouse shows up ... :)

Sooner or later there is instructions publically available, by Alan, MAI or some hw-guys.

Sorry, I have so multi-problem setup here, that I don't take USB very seriously. For other peopler it is different, I agree.

At least my memory is 512MB Kingston, so it should not be a broblem. But something is not correctly, because I have broblems to fire up this computer. As I mentioned before. It could be power supply, but I have some sense, that there could be some faults, when mobo is resetted. From circuit to circuit. It's allmost imposibble to examine. Have to try different p-siupplys (what I dont have:)

I think, that it is time to start to make larger scale disscussion (or even database ???) about bossible hw-related problems ?? How it is folks ??

Now, when people talk about probs and ask help, usually they don't mention anything about their setup, not even what mobo they have, XE/SE/yA1 ...

So it is. it's clear, that at least some of us have probs with mono, but will we please to keep thois in civilisated level ?? My opinion is, that complaining without solutions is waste of time. I don't mean, that anyone is complaining too much, and anyone will. But it is easier to found solution without :)

Comments, my fellows ?

Yeah, I want XC too ... wannawannawanna :)

Miikka

hotrod 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:42:20
#12 ]
Elite Member

@mlehto

I got the XE. All of the got DMA-problems and some(?) of the got USB problems as well. My MB got both.

And I won't mention the sound-problem (oops)

spotUP 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:43:21
#13 ]
Elite Member

@all

maaan... this really sucks! I am getting the feeling that the only things that works as they should in my A1 is the PCI cards that I have stuck in there becasue of all the HW flaws. I knew it was a chanse of buying a 'developer/beta' board, buit I really though that MAI wouldn't fail with every -f***** part of their motherboard. I really hope the µA1-C isn't as crippled as my A1.

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:44:37
#14 ]

@DrBombcrater

>Waiting for Eyetech to fix the A1's problems is probably futile. Their response to date has been less than impressive.

>So far a very few A1 dealers seem to be able to perform the XE USB and DMA fixes, but you have to pay for the work and two lots of shipping. Given the small number of dealers doing the fix, shipping going to be a big issue. Sending an A1 internationally with the required amount of damage insurance is not going to be cheap.

>Still, there's one small positive point for you lot with buggy XEs: you're better off then those of us with SE boards. Nobody is doing fixes for those.

Eyetech need to answer something, sooner or later.

I asked from my local dealer about these fixes. He didn't know anything about them, just heard rumours. So, if they are not official, many of dealers don't want to make them.

About XE/SE ... I think, that DMA/USB problem is similar in both mobos. Again, my opinion only.

Miikka

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:48:00
#15 ]

@spotUP

>I really hope the µA1-C isn't as crippled as my A1.

I believe, that they knew about problems in time, when they are made. Again, just my opinion, I don't know anything!

That's waht I think. Latest XE's are fixed. My dealer said, that even SE from 3rd production round works all ok. It could be true, anyway he bought for all of his clients sil0680-card.

Miikka

shoe 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 17:51:35
#16 ]

@spotUP

Bah.. Stop your whining boys. I had my A1XE patched a few weeks ago (same time as zerohero declined, btw.) It took about 10-15 minutes and now I have working DMA and no problems with two USB devices.

Get yourself together. Get your A1 patched if you want the extra PCI slot avalible and use more than one USB device.

I think something will happen soon that will allow ppl to send in their bords (and pay for delivery charges) to have them fixed. I don't know this for a fact, but if I were an A1 dealer I know I wold give my customers this opportunity.

I've never owned an Amiga(R) that's not "patched" in any way. And I know the AmigaOne was supposed to be this wonderful modern hardware that never needed any fixes. But I don't need to give you this Earlybird bs one more time now do I?

/shoe

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 18:03:02
#17 ]

@hotrod

Even my USB works more or less with 1st batch SE mobo. I write with USB-kbd just now. Anyway, every now and then system goes lock-up, when wb starts, and it tries to fiund this kb.

I have epson perfection 2400, and it wont work (system hangs in linux, wich I don't use any more) and I have also epson stylus photo 830, same thing. It seems, that data-flow don't work bery well with USB. I use printer via paraller (turboprint) without problems. Hint: you need newest tp8 from turboprint maintainer. Without speed is low, colors are incorrect and you cannot use highest dpi:s.

Hey, I'am very pleased about OS4! TP works lot of better with OS4 than OS3.9. It was impossibe to print anythin with highest resolution from OS3.9.

My most annoying problems are:

U-Boot. When I set setenv stdin usbkbd (and saveenv etc...) it want anyway ps2 kbd connected to A1. It tries to reset ps2 kbd forever. Or am I just dump ??
USB wont work very well. I have only usb-kbd just now. So ... I search fix before I buy more.
At startup roadshow cannot set up network due of router
randomly my kbd/mouse wont work after start. Both ps2-related problems.
I don't know anything about DMA ... I bought sil0680 and it is been ok since then. I used via with devpre1, but since pre1upd1 I have been happy with sil.

But, once I get this machine up, it works ok. Some software have loads of bugs, but OS itself is rock-solid. Only 2 hangs in these months due of WB/OS ??

Miikka

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 18:06:18
#18 ]

@shoe

Quote:
Bah.. Stop your whining boys.

That's easy for you to say. I cannot get my board fixed, and I'm going to keep whining until I can.

@mlehto
Quote:
I asked from my local dealer about these fixes. He didn't know anything about them, just heard rumours. So, if they are not official, many of dealers don't want to make them.

Many dealers may not have the equipment or skills to do the patches, and those that do may not want to risk having to pay for a new A1 if they botch the work and ruin someone's board.

Quote:
My dealer said, that even SE from 3rd production round works all ok.

I'd be surprised if any SEs are free of these bugs. Mine is one of the December 2002 boards, which I think was the last batch as the XE was shipping by then, and it has its full compliment of bugs.

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 18:07:36
#19 ]

@shoe

>Bah.. Stop your whining boys. I had my A1XE patched a few weeks ago (same time as zerohero declined, btw.) It took about 10-15 minutes and now I have working DMA and no problems with two USB devices.

>Get yourself together. Get your A1 patched if you want the extra PCI slot avalible and use more than one USB device.

>I think something will happen soon that will allow ppl to send in their bords (and pay for delivery charges) to have them fixed. I don't know this for a fact, but if I were an A1 dealer I know I wold give my customers this opportunity.

>I've never owned an Amiga(R) that's not "patched" in any way. And I know the AmigaOne was supposed to be this wonderful modern hardware that never needed any fixes. But I don't need to give you this Earlybird bs one more time now do I?

Nice to hear, that these fixes works!

Fixes and rewiring is nothing new ... :)

Could you please tell, where these instructions came ? Directly from MAI (even partially...) or was it self-examined ??

Miikka

Miikka

mlehto 
Posted on 2-Jan-2005 18:15:42
#20 ]

@DrBombcrater

Question of what you think, that is possible or not. I don't see anything difficult to get board fixed. Only difficulty, what I see, is to get information to make it :) And I don't make it myself, I give a job for someone more skilled person.

I know my dealer from years now, and he is one most honest man, what I know. It's true, that he don't have equipments or skills. Thing, what he waits, is official announcement about faulty hw and official instructions to fix them. And he allready paid, he bought sil-cards to his clients. Not for me, I ordered this board, when I lived in Spain.

Could be, that all SE-mobos are afffected.

And fixes itself are not very big deal at all. Just replacing 8 SMB capasitors with SMB resistors, and rewire two paths from mobo. Howto is more difficult... :)

Miikka

Last edited by mlehto on 02-Jan-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle