Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  1 min ago
 pixie:  29 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 lewishamilton0998:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 32 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  [Poll] Poll: OpenOffice: Are you interested in joining a porting effort
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )
Poll : Are you interested in joining a team to port OpenOffice ?
Yes. I am a programmer and I would like to help porting
Yes, I am not a programmer, but I would like to help with non-development stuff (admin stuff, etc)
Yes, but I don't have enough time, but would like to contribute financially (bounties, infrastructure like servers, webspace, cvs space etc).
No

PosterThread
olegil 
Re: [Poll] Poll: OpenOffice: Are you interested in joining a porting effort
Posted on 8-Jan-2005 7:26:33
#261 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

Unless you're talking about us working directly on their CVS, I think you'll find that the history is lost no matter which source system you use to track your local copy. How do you transfer not only the latest patch, but ALL history of a file into a running CVS? I've never heard of this being possible?

It doesn't matter what the _legal_ structure of OpenOffice.org is. Sun is VERY tightly coupled into the project. They have a bunch of people working directly on the CVS. The version you get from CVS hardly ever compiles. Etc.

No matter what we discuss, we are not getting ANY closer until we have a project manager and that project manager has discussed things with the other people in the OO.org project, by contacting dev@porting.openoffice.org, explaining that we have a team and want to coordinate the effort.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Profile     Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 8-Jan-2005 7:29:27
#262 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

BTW, I _am_ playing with SVN. I don't give a rats ass what you do. I have an SVN server, I offer to host code, you either take the offer or find another solution. You have NO POWER over what software I install on my server. If anyone has any problem with that, feel free to host the mailing list

So far I've not seen ANY real talk about the obstacles involved in porting OpenOffice itself, only a lot of crap about SVN vs CVS. As I've said about 200 times, that's the wrong place to start the discussion.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

wegster 
Posted on 8-Jan-2005 8:52:44
#263 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:
BTW, I _am_ playing with SVN. I don't give a rats ass what you do. I have an SVN server, I offer to host code, you either take the offer or find another solution. You have NO POWER over what software I install on my server. If anyone has any problem with that, feel free to host the mailing list

Good attitude. While I'm glad someone's stepped up and offered to try to start things rolling, great attitude. Enjoy whatever software you so choose, and good luck whenever anyone interested in the project disagrees with you, as you're evidently unable to deal with it. Disagreements are normal, regardless of what YOUR personal agenda or thoughts may be...hence a project _team_, not a single person.

If you think setting up sane infrastructure for what's going to be a very sizeable task is a bad idea...then even better luck, and I hope someone that _has_ worked on sizeable projects steps up to set some needed sanity in place. Part of starting any porject should be making a fair attempt at what's needed...not saying, "Oh I disagree, so go do something else"

EDITED because original post was a bit too harsh.

Last edited by wegster on 08-Jan-2005 at 08:55 AM.

EntilZha 
Posted on 8-Jan-2005 9:48:56
#264 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@olegil

Quote:
So far I've not seen ANY real talk about the obstacles involved in porting OpenOffice itself, only a lot of crap about SVN vs CVS. As I've said about 200 times, that's the wrong place to start the discussion.

That's true, but somebody brought in this discussion, and if it's not possible to find an agreement on this issue, better forget about OO.

Bottom line, we don't have a SVN client on the Amiga, and porting one would just be more work that can be avoided by using CVS. I never used SVN so I wouldn't know if it's better or not, but frankly, I don't really care since I use CVS every day, and I know it will do the job... so why change that ?

"I don't have a frigging clue. I'm norwegian" -- Ole-Egil

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Hyperion Entertainment

The_Editor 
Posted on 8-Jan-2005 9:54:38
#265 ]
Elite Member

@ Thread

Oh dear.. the first stumbling block and the foundations aren't even laid yet !!

wegster 
Posted on 8-Jan-2005 22:39:05
#266 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Is the mailing list having issues or requiring manual addition of subscribers? tried joining 2x now, no success as of yet (meaning I've confirmed via email, visited the subscribers page, not listed, nor receiving mail). Anyone?

Anonymous 
Posted on 8-Jan-2005 22:42:40
# ]

@wegster

Maybe they already locked it to only developers, hopefully they don't throw me
out, too. Please no, i'm just there to read and i won't tell anyone, promise

BTW: I thought this thread was already locked?

Report this post  
L8-X 
Posted on 8-Jan-2005 23:02:02
#268 ]
Elite Member

@Raziel

indeed it is.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle