Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  21 mins ago
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 kolla:  42 mins ago
 amigakit:  51 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  54 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Hardware
      /  AROS/AEROS for ARM on Motorola ATRIX phone
Register To Post

PosterThread
amigadave 
AROS/AEROS for ARM on Motorola ATRIX phone
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 13:48:40
#1 ]

I recently bought a New Old Stock Motorola ATRIX cell phone, as I needed a Quad Band GSM cell phone while visiting France (or any other European countries). I already had a Motorola LapDock for the ATRIX that I purchased to use with my Raspberry Pi over a year ago, and I must say I am loving this cell phone & LapDock combination.

It is a couple of years since the ATRIX 4G was released by Motorola, and it only has an older version of Android installed on it, with some debate about how, or if any newer versions of Android can be installed any time in the future, but I am happy with the current capabilities.

I wonder if it will be possible to dual boot the current Android already on the phone, plus any version of AROS/AEROS native, or hosted on this cell phone? It would be great if I could, as it would make an already nice device with LapDock even better if I could enjoy AROS/AEROS as well.

I know nothing about AROS hosted on Android.

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Re: AROS/AEROS for ARM on Motorola ATRIX phone
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 13:50:37
#2 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Hosted runs on Android for some time already. Up to now all was very limited because of no software.

KimmoK 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 13:55:39
#3 ]
Elite Member

I expect there to be a lot of incompatibilities between ARM cores (part of the reason why most Android apps run on top of VM and not natively on ARM) on cell phones etc.

I wonder how that is handled in AROS for ARM?

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 14:02:41
#4 ]

@KimmoK
ARM AROS Hosted is ARM AROS... doesn't depend on HOST OS.

So every ARM AROS application(the very same binary) will work on native, on ARM hosted for Android and on ARM hosted for Linux... because it is always AROS and running on the same CPU-architecture.

There are no incompatibilities. There is only a different's state of driver support.
Hosted has "drivers" which utilizes the audio and video API's provided by the host OS.
Those API-warppers are not equal. So if AROS hosted on ARM linux has sound, it doesn't mean that AROS hosted on Android has sound too.

Android provides other Api's.. Also android makes only sense if you root kit it, else AROS is very limited in accessing stuff.

So if i would avoid android as primary host target.

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 05-Feb-2014 at 02:04 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 14:16:45
#5 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

It sounds like he means that the different ARM processors are incompatible to each other

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 14:35:09
#6 ]

@OlafS25
hmm...so far i had no problems..
ARM11, ARM cortex A8.

CPU must be ARMv6 compatible
Everything from 2002 or newer should work

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 05-Feb-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 05-Feb-2014 at 02:36 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 14:52:23
#7 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

So it's a fat binary with armv6 and armv7 targets in one file?

Or is it that there's no NEON support?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

graincloud 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 14:55:28
#8 ]

@amigadave

off topic, but:

Quote:

amigadave wrote:
It is a couple of years since the ATRIX 4G was released by Motorola, and it only has an older version of Android installed on it, with some debate about how, or if any newer versions of Android can be installed any time in the future, but I am happy with the current capabilities.

it seems there are some custom roms available for the atrix 4g:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Unofficial_Ports#Motorola_Atrix_4G_.28MB860.2Folympus.29
here are some unofficial cyanogen mod roms:
http://goo.im/devs/epinter
there's even a cm11 version (= android 4.4 kitkat!) (although nightlies only)

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 15:52:12
#9 ]

@olegil
If neon is there it will be used, if not than not. Everything else depends on applications. If the are compiled to run only with neon..than it will not work. If it is compiled with "optional" support than it would.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/ARM_support

olegil 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 19:11:24
#10 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Hmm. Odd. Doesn't sound like how Android is said to work. There it's either v6 support or NEON (v7), but a fat binary can contain both compiles. At a cost of being twice as large (seems like just yesterday someone complained that PPC assembly took 30% more space than m68k )

But ok, I haven't tried it myself.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

amigadave 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 19:40:03
#11 ]

@graincloud

Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

graincloud 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 20:22:41
#12 ]

@amigadave

i don't know if you have experience with custom roms - you'll need to root your device. anyway it's not a big thing. i bought my first smartphone last september (was "running" a nokia from 2005 before that :) ) and it took me a day to get it unlocked and cyanogen mod installed (with step by step tutorials from the web), so it's no wizardy. and i'm not a linux geek...

custom roms are the last hope for a neglected smartphone buyer. they usually get updated for quite some time. good luck!

ps: i find it truly troublesome that one can't find official updates for a 3 year old system. something is horribly horribly wrong in the industry of consumerism.

Barana 
Posted on 5-Feb-2014 20:27:06
#13 ]
Cult Member

So theres very little software support. Is a decent uae compiled and running on it ?

Personally my next purchase will be a blackberry os 10 device. It can run android binaries, and its os is qnx. Closest thing to a polished amigalike os out for a phone.

I serve King Jesus.
What/who do you serve?

amigadave 
Posted on 6-Feb-2014 13:49:17
#14 ]

@Barana & graincloud,

If I didn't already have the LapDock for the Atrix 4G, which I purchased to use with my Raspberry Pi, I would have looked for a newer model smartphone. If I didn't think I was going to be coming back to Europe, and other countries around the World, some time in the future, I would have just waited it out and gone without a cell phone for the remaining few weeks I will be here in France.

I must agree that there is something very wrong with the industry, when a phone that is this new, has this much power and should be very useful long into the future, is no longer supported by the manufacturer, and/or cell phone company that purchased tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of units, to resell to their customers.

There should be a law that says companies must fully support a new products for at least 5 years, and even better would be 10 years, after its initial release. Better yet, make that after the date that the last new product was sold by the original reseller/distributor.

This trend toward making electronics obsolete a few weeks or months after they are introduced is getting ridiculous. Force companies to put more thought into their designs and the OS & software that run on them, so that they have a longer useful lifespan. If manufacturers were forced to support products longer, they would put more money into development before and AFTER the introduction of their products.

Last edited by amigadave on 06-Feb-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Last edited by amigadave on 06-Feb-2014 at 01:50 PM.

graincloud 
Posted on 6-Feb-2014 14:12:39
#15 ]

@amigadave

+1

even more so a reason to watch alternative electronics. the newly re-emerged homebrew and open source devices scene brings up good concepts; then there are the ones like the fairphone, which might not be open source, but has social and ecologic concepts as a base...

those are the only ones that will give power back to the customer, not the "benevolent" it companies...

the modular phone was a great concept:
https://phonebloks.com/en/goals

let's see what motorola's/google's project ara will be like (if it comes to life).

--

regarding aros:
downloaded aros hosted for android yesterday, only to find out that my phone has no untar installed (even though cyanogenmod has eben a console installed, but no untar command). been too lazy afterwards to do it via computer...

vision 
Posted on 6-Feb-2014 21:36:46
#16 ]

@all

Why are you discussing about this specific model? does it have any hard config that makes an aros port easier?

BTW: if the answer is yes!, I'll buy one yesterday!

amigadave 
Posted on 7-Feb-2014 20:53:04
#17 ]

@vision

If you had read the first post in this thread, or even the post I made just 2 posts before yours, you would see the answer to your question, but I will tell you anyway.

We are discussing this specific cell phone because I just purchased one of them, and the reason I bought that specific phone was because it was a Quad Band GSM phone which I need here in France, and because I already had purchased the LapDock that was designed specifically for this phone over a year ago, to use with my Raspberry Pi.

And, No, it does not have any hard code, or any other reason that would make it easier to use AROS with it.

@graincloud,

I will check out the other projects and phones you mentioned.

vision 
Posted on 7-Feb-2014 22:37:02
#18 ]

@amigadave

I've read the entire thread. It just surprised me the people specialized in AROS got involved in an eventual chance of installing it for your phone.

I think also that even there are arm versions of aros, and software will come up with further Pi releases, other problems will arise when trying to run it on phones (small arquitecture differences).

BTW it would be wonderful to have AROS running on any phone, but I will not ask because people involved in the distributions are alredy very busy, so I prefer they concentrate in having a good Pi version, wich I own and will support.

OlafS25 
Posted on 8-Feb-2014 0:25:47
#19 ]
Elite Member

@vision

I am not sure if AROS (or any other Amiga-successor) is "Smartphone-ready" because we have no desktop that is designed for such small displays. All AROS distributions will be based on Magellan. Magellan is a great desktop but certainly no perfect solution for smartphones. The alternatives Scalos and Wanderer are not better so we would need something new and I do not expect anything in near future. But perhaps AROS can at least run (even if too small to be useful).

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle