Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DWolfman

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DWolfman:  1 min ago
 cncparts:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 55 mins ago
 Bruce72:  4 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  NetSurf-m68k
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Dandy 
NetSurf-m68k
Posted on 17-Jul-2014 7:32:32
#1 ]
Elite Member

Yesterday I downloaded NetSurf-m68k from
http://aminet.net/package/comm/www/NetSurf-m68k
and installed it on my system to give it a try.

But I cannot start it - after double-clicking the icon it loads for a while. Then - all of a sudden - my Miggy crashes and reboots.

I also tried it with SnoopDOS running - but I cannot look fast enough to see what the last action was and why it failed when the system crashes.

My system:
A4000 with CSPPC 128mB; Mediator & Voodoo4 PCI, Terratec 512i digital PCI and 10/100 mBit PCI NIC; Deneb USB 2.0 (Zorro III); OS 3.9 w. BBs 1 & 2 / WarpOS 16.1

Does anyone here have an idea what could be going wrong there?

Dandy

Profile     Report this post  
Ancalimon 
Re: NetSurf-m68k
Posted on 17-Jul-2014 14:17:21
#2 ]

@Dandy

Probably not related but you should be using powerpc.library 16.1 beta since the last version is buggy.
http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/projects/

Try a basic 3.9 installation first with only the essential software installed to troubleshoot.

Last edited by Ancalimon on 17-Jul-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Last edited by Ancalimon on 17-Jul-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 17-Jul-2014 15:56:12
#3 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Probably not relevant, but the 68k version uses the horrible Framebuffer frontend, SDL and ixemul.library.

As you have a CSPPC why not treat yourself to OS4? You'd be able to run the OS4 version then, which is much better.

Hypex 
Posted on 17-Jul-2014 16:11:27
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

IIRC it needs a 16-bit screenmode. And loads of ram. But I didn't know it crashed like that. That's pretty buggy.

Dandy 
Posted on 18-Jul-2014 9:49:14
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Chris_Y

Quote:

Chris_Y wrote:
@Dandy

As you have a CSPPC why not treat yourself to OS4? You'd be able to run the OS4 version then, which is much better.

I just have an "experimental" OS 4.0 classic intallation.
Main problem for me is that OS 4.x just has limited Mediator support and doesn't suppport my 10/100 mBit NIC - and without internet access there is not much use for any browser.
I could try to find a supported card, but OS 4.x classic just supports 10 mBit cards, while with OS 3.9 I have the full 100 mBít (my DSL connection offers 50 mBit).

Same with USB (at least the last time I checked) - OS 4.x classic just supports USB 1.1, while with OS 3.9 I can have USB 2.0 highspeed with my Deneb.

I don't want to trade in the 100 mBit network access speed or the USB 2.0 highspeed for OS4 with a better NetSurf - then I'll rather stay with OS 3.9.
There I already have two registered, working browsers.
I just thought that a browser with CSS capability would come in handy - that's why I tried NetSurf...

EDIT:
Artur told me the version on aminet has probs with Voodoo graphic cards and sent me the latest version that is said to run stable on a Voodoo 3. I hope it also works with my Voodoo 4...

Furthermore I discovered (new) Voodoo drivers for the Mediator on the Elbox page...perhaps they can improve the system and make NetSurf run, if all other options fail...

Last edited by Dandy on 18-Jul-2014 at 12:50 PM.

Dandy

Chris_Y 
Posted on 18-Jul-2014 14:18:54
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

OK, that's understandable. I don't know enough about OS4 Classic to be able to say if these driver issues have been addressed.

amimaniac 
Posted on 28-Jul-2014 9:59:19
#7 ]

I've made new version that uses 8bit RTG screen mode.
Tests on WinUAE noJIT shows that scrolling is much faster!
Depth can be changed in Options now.

http://ami-soft.blogspot.com/

NovaCoder 
Posted on 28-Jul-2014 11:10:44
#8 ]

@amimaniac

Cool my RTG SDL hack worked

pavlor 
Posted on 28-Jul-2014 11:38:26
#9 ]
Elite Member

@amimaniac

Looks promising!

matthey 
Posted on 29-Jul-2014 7:19:12
#10 ]

Quote:

Dandy wrote:
I just have an "experimental" OS 4.0 classic installation.
Main problem for me is that OS 4.x just has limited Mediator support and doesn't support my 10/100 mBit NIC - and without internet access there is not much use for any browser.
I could try to find a supported card, but OS 4.x classic just supports 10 mBit cards, while with OS 3.9 I have the full 100 mBít (my DSL connection offers 50 mBit).

I doubt you get much above 10mBit out of the 100mBit ethernet card with the Mediator. The 100mBit cards are easier to find and cheap though.

Quote:

EDIT:
Artur told me the version on aminet has probs with Voodoo graphic cards and sent me the latest version that is said to run stable on a Voodoo 3. I hope it also works with my Voodoo 4...

Furthermore I discovered (new) Voodoo drivers for the Mediator on the Elbox page...perhaps they can improve the system and make NetSurf run, if all other options fail...

I have a Mediator with Voodoo 4 and it doesn't like the new pci.library 9.9 or Voodoo.card 4.32. I'm using pci.library 9.7 and Voodoo.card 4.30 which is stable although big endian (non-PC) modes have wrong colors since forever with the Elbox drivers.

Last edited by matthey on 29-Jul-2014 at 07:19 AM.

Dandy 
Posted on 31-Jul-2014 6:49:11
#11 ]
Elite Member

@matthey

Quote:

matthey wrote:

Quote:

Dandy wrote:

I just have an "experimental" OS 4.0 classic installation.
Main problem for me is that OS 4.x just has limited Mediator support and doesn't support my 10/100 mBit NIC - and without internet access there is not much use for any browser.

I doubt you get much above 10mBit out of the 100mBit ethernet card with the Mediator.

While I have no idea how to measure that, I can say that it does not feel significantly slower than accessing the same pages with my XP-PC with 100mBit NIC.

I had a 10mBit card before the 10/100mBit card and can say that the difference I noticed when I upgraded to the 100mBit was significant.

I don't want to switch back to 10mBit.

Quote:

matthey wrote:

Quote:

EDIT:

I have a Mediator with Voodoo 4 and it doesn't like the new pci.library 9.9 or Voodoo.card 4.32. I'm using pci.library 9.7 and Voodoo.card 4.30 which is stable although big endian (non-PC) modes have wrong colors since forever with the Elbox drivers.

Will have to check at home which versions I use...

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 31-Jul-2014 6:54:46
#12 ]
Elite Member

@NovaCoder & amimaniac

Quote:

NovaCoder wrote:

@amimaniac

Cool my RTG SDL hack worked

I've downloaded the new versions and give them a try ASAP...

Last edited by Dandy on 31-Jul-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Dandy

hotrod 
Posted on 31-Jul-2014 21:49:02
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:
While I have no idea how to measure that, I can say that it does not feel significantly slower than accessing the same pages with my XP-PC with 100mBit NIC. I had a 10mBit card before the 10/100mBit card and can say that the difference I noticed when I upgraded to the 100mBit was significant. I don't want to switch back to 10mBit.

When I used my a4k with a mediator I transfered files between a Windows PC and the Amiga using FTP. I tried both Miami and Genesis and Genesis was faster.

The difference regarding speed wat 600-700kb/s with the 10Mbit card and 800-900kb/s with the 100Mbit card. I don't know if my result is normal but AFAIK it should be so the difference isn't that big.

I did use a 10Mbit Zorro-III card (IO Blix) vs a 100Mbit PCI-card.

HammerD 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 2:44:58
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

If you have a Deneb you can use it under OS 4.1 Classic and get close to 1MB/sec transfer speed (if you use a cheap USB ethernet adapter. I use a DLINK one and it works fine. You just have to put the Deneb in PIO mode, but you still get ok speeds. Deneb doesn't fully support DMA on OS 4.1 Classic. That is not a shortcoming of OS 4.1 Classic but just that the Deneb firmware doesn't (yet) support the correct DMA mechanism required for OS4 (scatter/gather).

Anyway it works fine in PIO mode and it is likely faster than your 100Mbit Nic anyway.

Dandy 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 11:41:12
#15 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:

hotrod wrote:
@Dandy

Quote:

While I have no idea how to measure that, I can say that it does not feel significantly slower than accessing the same pages with my XP-PC with 100mBit NIC. I had a 10mBit card before the 10/100mBit card and can say that the difference I noticed when I upgraded to the 100mBit was significant. I don't want to switch back to 10mBit.

I tried both Miami and Genesis and Genesis was faster.

I use a registered version of MiamiDX.

Quote:

hotrod wrote:

The difference regarding speed wat 600-700kb/s with the 10Mbit card and 800-900kb/s with the 100Mbit card. I don't know if my result is normal but AFAIK it should be so the difference isn't that big.

I did use a 10Mbit Zorro-III card (IO Blix) vs a 100Mbit PCI-card.

I don't know.
All I can say is that surfing the web with 100mBit feels so much faster than with 10 mBit.
And my DSl speed is just 50mBit.

My system is equipped with a Buster 11 - don't know if this could be the reason for a higher speed of PCI network cards in the Mediator.
I read somewhere that with a Buster 9 the Mediator cannot tap it's full potential.

Dandy

Dandy 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 12:49:27
#16 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

Quote:

HammerD wrote:
@Dandy

If you have a Deneb you can use it under OS 4.1 Classic and get close to 1MB/sec transfer speed (if you use a cheap USB ethernet adapter).

Hmmm - the last time I checked OS 4.x classic only supported USB 1.1.
This and the fact that it furthermore only supports 10mBit NICs is the reason that my OS 4.0 partition remained a rarely used experimental installation.

Most of the time I use OS 3.9 that does not have these shortcomings.
In reality the "upgrade" from OS 3.9 to OS 4.0 classic is a downgrade for me, as it limits me compared to OS 3.9.

That's why I never bought OS 4.1 classic and the 256 mB Zorro RAM expansion.

Quote:

HammerD wrote:

I use a DLINK one and it works fine. You just have to put the Deneb in PIO mode, but you still get ok speeds. Deneb doesn't fully support DMA on OS 4.1 Classic. That is not a shortcoming of OS 4.1 Classic but just that the Deneb firmware doesn't (yet) support the correct DMA mechanism required for OS4 (scatter/gather).

Anyway it works fine in PIO mode and it is likely faster than your 100Mbit Nic anyway.

Maybe I'll look into that one day.

But doesn't putting Deneb in PIO mode mean reducing its USB transfer rates?
As with OS 4.0 classic I can anyway just have USB 1.1 - according to Wikipedia USB 1.1 just has a transfer rate of 12 mBit/s (= 1,5 mByte/s), while USB 2.0 can have up to 480 Mbit/s (= 60 MByte/s).

I doubt the Deneb can achieve these speeds in USB 2.0 mode, but it is definitely significantly faster than in USB 1.1 mode.

So I also have my doubts that a USB ethernet adapter operated with USB 1.1 could outperform my 10/100 mBit PCI NIC in 100 mBit mode in the Mediator (100 mBit should roughly equal to 12.5 mB/s, given wikipedia's figures, while 10 mBit just equal to roughly 1.25 mB/s (factor 8)).

Dandy

wawa 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 13:07:36
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

isnt it that 4.1 classic relies on poseidon for usb, rather than its own native sirion stack? in that case i would expect roughly the same functionality. from my experience on my mediator 3.9 setup the pio vs. dma mode doesnt significantly impact the transfer rates, but it does naturally involves more cpu resources , which shouldnt be as much of a problem on a ppc versus 68k cpu, even if dma is nice to have and i wouldnt like to resign on it.

HammerD 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 16:24:13
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

The Deneb is using it's own USB Stack - Poseidon - so it doesn't use the native USB stack of OS4.1 Classic. As I said I got 1MB/sec thereabouts with a USB ethernet adapter on the Deneb on OS 4.1 Classic with Poseidon as the USB stack.

I've written some articles on classic here:

http://www.hd-zone.com/amiga-4-1-classic/

Having said that I still use OS 3.9 very much on my Classic. I have a dual boot setup and on one machine a triple boot setup with MorphOS PowerUP.

Elbox have certainly done a good job with their OS 3.x drivers. It's too bad they didn't also develop any OS4 drivers for their Mediator.

It's also too bad there isn't a Warp3D hardware driver for the Radeon on the Mediator (for OS 3.x). I have to boot into OS4.1 Classic to fully utilize the Radeon.

[quote]

wawa 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 16:59:43
#19 ]
Elite Member

@HammerD

Quote:
It's too bad they didn't also develop any OS4 drivers for their Mediator.

you can use elbox mediator drivers with os4 its just disencouraged by os4 team since it doesnt fit with os4 own pci support.

HammerD 
Posted on 1-Aug-2014 18:02:23
#20 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

I've tried and I've never got it to work properly...do you have it working?

AFAIK it will limit your Radeon memory to 16 or 15MB and it's not working very well overall, and I don't know if the elbox DMA hack works at all, if you can get it working.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle