Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 133 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  27 mins ago
 OlafS25:  49 mins ago
 clint:  54 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Tpod:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 Birbo:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 MarcioD:  4 hrs 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  A6OO EMAIL
Register To Post

PosterThread
scarrabri 
A6OO EMAIL
Posted on 25-Aug-2014 21:07:20
#1 ]

Hi is there anything light weight and easy to set up for sending email from my A600, I am using the a600 to send this post so iwould have thought it could manage an email, best wishes Brian,A600 EMAIL

Last edited by scarrabri on 25-Aug-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
RNS-Amiga-Scientist 
Re: A6OO EMAIL
Posted on 25-Aug-2014 21:20:09
#2 ]

@scarrabri

If you manage to send a post on WWW forum I guess you can browse the Aminet.

Here mailing software for Amiga is placed, I hope you find something that works on Release 2 of your Amiga 600's operating system.

http://aminet.net/comm/mail

Best regards.

scarrabri 
Posted on 26-Aug-2014 5:30:48
#3 ]

@RNS-Amiga-Scientist

Hi thank you for the help i will take a look at the link and see what i can find best wishes Brian.

scarrabri 
Posted on 29-Aug-2014 22:48:59
#4 ]

@scarrabri

Hi I have downloaded ibrowse on to my A600 and I am connected to the internet but every time I go to log in on Gmail I get an ibrowse error which said
Amissl is not installed or too old in yet I am sure there is one installed that came off the easynet disc but not sure what to do next as I surf the net no trouble, Brian.

Canfod 
Posted on 30-Aug-2014 18:32:53
#5 ]

@scarrabri

Brian, maybe you should be clearer about what you want to do, i.e. your 1st post sounded as though you were looking for a piece of Amiga email software, to send email directly from your A600, and your last post sounds as though you want to send email via Gmail's web interface.

As for AmiSSL, I have no idea for sure, but if you know it's installed, and you get the message you said you did, then in all likelihood, it is in fact too old an SSL implementation to work with Gmail.....

scarrabri 
Posted on 30-Aug-2014 19:01:54
#6 ]

@Canfod

Hi you think you are confused I started off trying to use Gmail from my a600 using Roadshow , now why you say because I know for a fact it works with my A1200 with exactly the same software but not so with the A600 which is why I asked was there any thing else that would suit the Amiga 600 a little better is that a little clearer, best wishes Brian.

Canfod 
Posted on 30-Aug-2014 19:51:08
#7 ]

@scarrabri

Yeah, obviously I'm confused, based solely on what you typed..... I suggest you re-read your 1st post, i.e. you said absolutely nothing in there about wanting to access Gmail on your 600, which is no doubt why Scientist posted the link to Aminet's mail software, which is a similar answer to what I would've replied to your 1st post.

As for using "exactly the same software", that would lead me to believe there must be a version discrepancy, or a configuration error, because if you use a 1200 to access Gmail, I don't see any reason you couldn't also use the 600 the same way......

scarrabri 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 6:55:49
#8 ]

@Canfod

You are quite right and Gmail was not mentioned because I had tried it and failed so I thought I move on and see if there was a different approach to the problem and perhaps an easier route to take, but obviously not but thanks anyway best wishes Brian.

Hypex 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 9:18:37
#9 ]
Elite Member

@scarrabri

If you had OS3.9 running I was going to say AmigaMail would be a nice lightweight client.

That said, what are the specs of your A600? Unless you have a super fast CPU even something as simple as email will be dog slow. Before I got my A1 I used YAM on my A1200/030/AGA and it was like playing Doom in a text editor. A simple applicatiuon but even my 40Mhz CPU was too slow for the likes of YAM and MUI.

Regarding the SSL errors, do you have an 020? AFAIK, a full IBrowse setup needs a 32-bit CPU for itself and SSL, though 16-bit 68K versions may be compiled. And a recent AmiSSL. Sometimes older SSL encryption needs to be disabled. Not the fastest in a web browser but I think GMail would need a CSS browser.

Apart from that is an emailer than can handle SSL if GMail is anything like Yahoo. Not sure if any mailers apart from YAM and SimpleMail did SSL.

Canfod 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 9:22:27
#10 ]

Well, of course there's a different approach, assuming you'd be willing to use the email address your ISP has allotted you, i.e. you could use one of the many available email clients, and configure it to retrieve email..... for that matter, it MAY even be possible to configure it to retrieve your Gmail emails, rather than going through their webmail interface(seems to me I've seen that sort of thing mentioned on here before).

Personally, I only ever used YAM as my Amiga email client, and I think it's likely still one of the most popular Amiga email clients. Configuring that, or another client, to access your Gmail emails would be something you'd have to read about in the docs, or someone else would have to lend some help with, since I've never used it for anything other than my ISP's email account.

Last edited by Canfod on 31-Aug-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Canfod 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 9:31:17
#11 ]

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@scarrabri

Unless you have a super fast CPU even something as simple as email will be dog slow. Before I got my A1 I used YAM on my A1200/030/AGA and it was like playing Doom in a text editor. A simple applicatiuon but even my 40Mhz CPU was too slow for the likes of YAM and MUI..

Ok, it's been a long time for me, so it's possible it's me that has a poor memory on this subject, but I used to use YAM on a 1200/030, and I don't recall it being "dog slow"......

Hypex 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 11:00:59
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Canfod

I added all kinds of optimisations to my system. Although I was using a 64 colour screen for my Workbench. Most of the time MUI programs seemed to be okay. But when I was using YAM it was so slow. I was doing basic editing with it and it just lagged along. I don't know why but on my A1200 is was dog slow so I didn't have hopes for a lesser Amiga. YAM was the slowest text editor I had seen. It's now been beat by the text editor on Facebook which makes my 800Mhz A1 look slow! YAM fine on my A1 though.

Last edited by Hypex on 31-Aug-2014 at 11:02 AM.

salass00 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 11:15:03
#13 ]
Elite Member

@scarrabri

You can get the latest AmiSSL version from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/amissl/files/3.6/

Last edited by salass00 on 31-Aug-2014 at 11:15 AM.

scarrabri 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 12:52:30
#14 ]

@Hypex

Hi thanks for your help I have this fitted Amiga 600
ACA620EC ACCelerator
CF 4GB
and it sure gets a move on so I will try the up to date ssl and see what that does first, best wishes Brian.

scarrabri 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 12:55:52
#15 ]

@salass00

Thanks very much I appreciate it my friend and will give the up to date ssl a go ,best wishes Brian.

scarrabri 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 12:59:24
#16 ]

@Canfod

Thanks very much for the info my friend I will sort through all the things suggested very best wishes Brian.

scarrabri 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 16:19:12
#17 ]

@scarrabri

Hi I have downloaded Amigamail off my 3.9 os disc is there anything else I need to download? and can I use aol if I fill in the smtp details, best wishes Brian

Hypex 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 17:13:05
#18 ]
Elite Member

@scarrabri

Nice setup. Been reading about AmigaMail and some reports say it is slightly buggy. Don't know if it was fixed in a BoingBag. Well you only have to try and see if it does what you want. Otherwise test a more modern program like YAM or SimpleMail.

scarrabri 
Posted on 31-Aug-2014 20:41:59
#19 ]

@Hypex

Hi thanks again, I have downloaded simplemail and all the other files it said to get and installed everything and simplemail file has opened and it just wants configuring lol very best wishes Brian

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle