Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 126 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

kolla,  agami

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  16 secs ago
 kolla:  4 mins ago
 amigakit:  28 mins ago
 Rob:  43 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  All the best
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
A1200 
All the best
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 0:02:04
#1 ]
Elite Member

Having faced some life affirming challenges of late, I have evaluated my own conduct towards others. Although I have never been an anti A-Eon/Amigakit member of this community, indeed I am a regular customer of Amigakit, I feel that through being cynical, I may have seemed a little unsupportive of their plans.

The fact of the matter is, I am not currently an OS4.x user and so it has no bearing on me if they buy all these assets and it all goes belly up. Worse case, they have given it a good go and took an otherwise mostly stangnant platofrm and at least tried to give it some life.

Fair play to them.

I will go and find some more important cause to rally around and instead wish Trevor, Matthew and everyone else involved the very best of luck. If I can get behind something that excites me in Amigaland and I can give it the proper time and investment, I will put my money where my mouth is. Until that time, I will keep on tinkering with OS3.x software and buying the odd classic accessory off Amigakit.

Peace!

Mike

Profile     Report this post  
Samurai_Crow 
Re: All the best
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 8:48:26
#2 ]
Elite Member

@A1200+thread

Indeed! I've long given up on the OS4 bandwagon. I'm just glad they come out with OS3 versions of some of their updates. I just hope they don't mind that I'll be trying to run them on Aros 68k instead of OS3. Now, if only we could get a decent code generator for GCC or Clang on 68k...

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 9:39:09
#3 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

I like 68k too. I personal see not much sense in the "NG" line at all because there is no chance to compete with the big players because of the lack of developers and money. Additionally most of the software base is 68k, most of the compilers and dev environments, most of the documentation. In my view it would have made more sense to concentrate on 68k than to split the base. But that is my personal view not everyone has to share.

Regarding 68k I personal prefer Aros 68k because it is free and independent, sources available and it benefits from all developments on the Aros platform.

What Aeonkit does is not directly affecting me. If they do something I like I support it. For example I have bought Personal Paint 68k (unfortunately not running on Aros 68k). AmigaOS or MorphOS are not intersting to me. AROS of course is but (as I already wrote) mostly the 68k branch.

BTW I do not see much you can do what is not possible on 68k too (at least potentially) if you are running 68k on fast platforms (Emulation and future new FPGA based hardware).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 27-Jan-2015 at 09:46 AM.

amigakit 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 9:49:57
#4 ]
Amiga Kit

@A1200

Hi Michael!

I am very much an enthiusiastic Classic user too (A1200). We are working hard updating some Classic apps such as PPaint, ImageFX etc for Classic Amiga concurrently with Next Gen and there are some nice newly developed Classic software projects coming out this year - stay tuned for more information.

There are also some nice Classic Amiga projects in the pipeline

Thanks very much for your custom over the years!

amigang 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 10:57:44
#5 ]
Elite Member

Just to maybe explain the reason for the Ng platform and my move to NG platform.

all the way up to about 2000, my only computer was my beef up A1200, (68040, 32mb ram etc) however it was increasingly difficult to get my college work done as everything was Microsoft and also internet was getting more and more graphical heavy with gif and flash which my poor old Amiga and its AGA chip just couldn't keep up with (unless I got a GFX card, maybe the 68060 and or PPC) but all them extra and expansion cost as much as a PC did, so finally made the move and bought a PC. I say I still drifted between machine, as Win98 was pretty rubbish (it was a second hand old PC), so 2003 I got a much more powerful PC with XP on it and now I could emulate and have a much faster and easier to use Amiga on my PC than on my real Amiga thats when I kinda drift away from the classic Amiga, BUT the emulator winUAE with AmigaOs3.9, Picasso96 GFX, Just In Time, and fast ADF access showed me just how good and fun a powerful top end Amiga could be and made me think imagine that but it also having modern apps and features like a up to date browser, the ability to play HD movie files etc etc, it made me want a new Amiga and thats why I'm AmigaNG.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 11:18:09
#6 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

a new FPGA based amiga (f.e. A500 + new accellerator) and Aros 68k will be NG too :)

the problem is that there are not many devs left and no commercial market so who develops the "modern applications" for it. The split between the existing base (68k) and NG (PPC) has done a lot of harm in my view because it splitted also both user base and developers. I think AtariST or C64 community are partly in a better situation because of no split. But it is how it is.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 12:51:48
#7 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

So after all that what is meant by All the best? Are you going to leave us? I don't see why an A1200 user can't be part of the forum. Things may have changed with new machines and forums but that's doesn't stop you from joining in. I go to an Amiga club (two in fact) and lately I see only an interest in the original Amigas. I feel like I am the only one who has an "NG" Amiga or am the only person who brings one. However lately I have been bringing my A4000D to the meetings and leaving the 'Ones at home. Guess I have the best of both worlds.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 13:15:50
#8 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
I like 68k too. I personal see not much sense in the "NG" line at all because there is no chance to compete with the big players because of the lack of developers and money.

So what's the difference? It was always like that. Well maybe better in the beginning but in the hey day and towards the end of the last century the Amiga always had to compete. It lost out to games with no 3d blitter or eventual 24-bit modes. We had Wordworth and people wanted Word. And the web browsing was behind as it is now except now we can get it for free.

So to me things haven't really changed much at all. The OS is still here and being developed. Without proper 3d support and cross compiling compatibility we are satill losing out in games. We can load Word files but don't have a full native wordprocessor to compete. And the web browsing is behind as it ever was!

But, who today has an Amiga experience because the Amiga could compete with the big boys? Not many. My club is a good example, and there are lots of games on the 'ole Amigas. Why? Didn't Doom kill the Amiga and won't playing old 2d games make us feel worse? Of course not! That would be missing the point and the fun of it. Perhaps it could be called living in the past but the games are played from a time when the Amiga was king, to relive those moments and have some fun, not get hung up on Amiga vs. PC.

So it still is today, with the new AmigaOS machines. It may only be the OS alive today, but there are new developments all the time and there is always something exciting happening. It could be said using an AmigaOS machine is living in the past. Well it may seem that way but I don' think so. Windows is old. OSX is old. They may be better developed but being long in the tooth hasn't stopped people from using them. And that hasn't stopped me from using OS4 either. AmigaOS4 is being developed today; it may spring from yesteryear, but it is here today. And why is it? For those of us who like to keep on with the Amiga spirit. The AmigaOS spirit of today.

Quote:
In my view it would have made more sense to concentrate on 68k than to split the base. But that is my personal view not everyone has to share.

I'd agree, as I think 68K is a better CPU than PPC, but Motorola didn't copy Intel and keep an old design going into the future well beyond it's worth. And so we were left without a 68K. Without a new 68K CPU we couldn't stay with 68K.

Last edited by Hypex on 27-Jan-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 13:22:38
#9 ]
Elite Member

@amigang

So do you have a real machine to call your own or are you just running Amiga emulation?

danwood 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 15:31:16
#10 ]

@Samurai_Crow @A1200

Quote:
Indeed! I've long given up on the OS4 bandwagon. I'm just glad they come out with OS3 versions of some of their updates.

Absolutely, I'm another former-OS4 user who has gone back to mostly classic (I do use MorphOS as well though), I don't have much interest in OS4 any more but it's great to see updates for the classic Amiga.

I'm having heaps of fun with my A4000, and really excited to get my hands on the Prisma Megamix, having recently added ethernet and USB via X-Surf 100 and Rapidroad, it's a great time to be an Amiga user.

amigakit 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 15:51:49
#11 ]
Amiga Kit

@danwood @A1200

It has been good to chat to you both in previous Amiga shows in the past.

Both Trevor and I realised a few years ago that porting Linux software to AmigaOS serves a practical purpose for the user but it homogenises the Amiga software base with other OS out there and takes something away that Amiga feeling from its day to day use.

Amiga applications have always been very distinctive in many terms.

Updating popular (iconic) Amiga Classic applications such as PPaint, Octamed and ImageFX with additional functionality for AmigaOS4 then back porting the improvements to Classic AmigaOS 3 is far more rewarding in terms of the user experience. I found it exciting recently using the new version of PPaint on my A1200. I am really looking forward to announcing the next Classic Amiga software projects that we are involved in at the moment. If they succeed in terms of breaking even, we will do more.

We welcome all feedback and ideas that excite the user too for a classic Amiga.

Last edited by amigakit on 27-Jan-2015 at 03:55 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 16:09:45
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:
I'm just glad they come out with OS3 versions of some of their updates.

what would that be? because i can not actually recall any updates amiga profited from os4 ever. in case its layers.library by thor, it was most obviously his own initiative, his decision and his code. im not sure if i would call it support, just because he has not been prevented in what he did.

amigakit 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 16:57:11
#13 ]
Amiga Kit

@wawa

PPaint 7.3a : www.ppaint.com

New version updated for AmigaOS 4.1 and AmigaOS 3.x

This is what A-EON intends to do with software going forward.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 17:21:47
#14 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

well, right, have mistakenly read that in context of os4 rather than aeon, even if im not sure if this genuine software does really need any updates in this day and age.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 18:00:57
#15 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Octamed?

A1200 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 18:15:02
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
So after all that what is meant by All the best? Are you going to leave us?

No way dude, I wish the companies all the best in their endeavors.

A1200 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 18:26:08
#17 ]
Elite Member

@amigakit

Just purchased. I like PPaint so why not support it?!

Quote:

amigakit wrote:
@wawa

PPaint 7.3a : www.ppaint.com

New version updated for AmigaOS 4.1 and AmigaOS 3.x

This is what A-EON intends to do with software going forward.

amigakit 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 20:42:08
#18 ]
Amiga Kit

@A1200

That's great - thank you.

Download link emailed to you.

Daniel 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 21:23:05
#19 ]

@amigakit

Quote:
Both Trevor and I realised a few years ago that porting Linux software to AmigaOS serves a practical purpose for the user but it homogenises the Amiga software base with other OS out there and takes something away that Amiga feeling from its day to day use.

Amiga applications have always been very distinctive in many terms.

Updating popular (iconic) Amiga Classic applications such as PPaint, Octamed and ImageFX with additional functionality for AmigaOS4 then back porting the improvements to Classic AmigaOS 3 is far more rewarding in terms of the user experience. I found it exciting recently using the new version of PPaint on my A1200. I am really looking forward to announcing the next Classic Amiga software projects that we are involved in at the moment. If they succeed in terms of breaking even, we will do more.

Couldn't agree more. I think A-EON is going in the right direction with updating these popular classic programs. Keep up the good work!

bison 
Posted on 27-Jan-2015 21:45:13
#20 ]
Elite Member

@A1200

I read the thread title and my first impression was that you are one of those people who are leaving Amiga for the Atari ST. (OK, so you would have been the first.)

I don't use OS4 either, but only because the hardware is expensive and hard to get. Maybe it will run on more mainstream hardware some day. In the meantime I use AROS and FS-UAE, being favorably disposed toward the Amiga philosophy of keeping things simple and sane.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle