Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
21 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  24 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  3 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  PicShow won't save jpeg!
Register To Post

PosterThread
kilaueabart 
PicShow won't save jpeg!
Posted on 25-Feb-2015 3:31:02
#1 ]
Cult Member

For years I have been using PicShow to modify photos. Unless I remembered to check Options > "Save pictures as JPEG" they would be saved as IFF. I rarely forgot to set it to jpeg if they were for e-mail or my web site.

All of a sudden, PicShow is refusing to comply. With "Save pictures as JPEG" clearly checked, attempts to save bring up a window with "Save picture as IFF..." in the title bar!

Any obvious fix?

Profile     Report this post  
Drewlio77 
Re: PicShow won't save jpeg!
Posted on 25-Feb-2015 3:38:14
#2 ]
Cult Member

@kilaueabart

I believe PicShow uses Datatypes. Make sure your JPEG datatype exists in both Classes and Devs:Datatypes. As well, make sure the Datatype is configured via it's Prefs program (if supported). It would not hurt to delete and re-install the datatypes to rule out corrupted files (and and envarc settings).

Drewlio77.

Last edited by Drewlio77 on 25-Feb-2015 at 03:38 AM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 25-Feb-2015 7:45:53
#3 ]
Cult Member

@Drewlio77
Thanks. I'll check those items out tomorrow.

If that doesn't lead to a fix, this is a second reason I need to save OS4.1u6. PicShow works properly there.

I hope your fix will reduce the reasons I need 4.1u6 to this one: It is also the only OS I can load PageStream 5.0.5.8 from. With FE, the screen comes up, with a tool box and an editor window, then nothing further happens until the machine crashes. No such problem with 4.1u6.

Adding to the mystery, in both cases I use the same DOpus5 Hotkey combo!

Deniil715 
Posted on 25-Feb-2015 8:17:42
#4 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

There is some extra module needed for saving jpegs. Not actually sure if it does this through datatypes or or a specific saver module though.

Deniil715 
Posted on 25-Feb-2015 8:19:15
#5 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

About PageStream: Could it be a stack issue? Could you have changed the default stack in 4.1.6 but forgot to do that after installing FE?

thomas 
Posted on 25-Feb-2015 12:30:27
#6 ]

@kilaueabart

In OS 3.x datatypes can only save IFF. To save JPEG you need jpeg.library. http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/jpeglibrary

kilaueabart 
Posted on 26-Feb-2015 7:31:47
#7 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715
Thanks for that!
I googled "PicShow jpeg" and found that I need jpeg.library.

And while I was doing that, Thomas posted the same info here!

Last edited by kilaueabart on 26-Feb-2015 at 07:32 AM.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 26-Feb-2015 7:36:40
#8 ]
Cult Member

@thomas

That doesn't seem to be quite a generality. SGrab saves as jpeg fine.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 26-Feb-2015 7:49:04
#9 ]
Cult Member

@Deniil715
Where are stack sizes really stored? My PageStream is accessed from the same partition by both OS'es. I would guess that when I set the stack size in the icon, that is where it is really stored, not in Sys: someplace. But I'll look at the icon from both versions of 4.1 and make sure.

It almost seems like it would have to be something like that, the operating systems supplying different info of that sort. All attempts to run it are, after all, the same, most typically a DOpus5 hotkey command "apps:pgs5058/PageStream5."

nbache 
Posted on 26-Feb-2015 21:50:03
#10 ]

@kilaueabart

Quote:
a DOpus5 hotkey command "apps:pgs5058/PageStream5."
If this is how you start PgS, the stack size in the icon probably doesn't have any effect (unless either DOpus or PageStream itself makes some special effort to read it and set the stack accordingly).

I use DOpus 4 myself, so I'm not sure if it's similar in DOpus 5, but I set the stack for such an invocation inside DOpus, in the window where you define the button or hotkey.

Best regards,

Niels

broadblues 
Posted on 26-Feb-2015 22:00:46
#11 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kilaueabart

SGrab probably has built jpeg support.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 1-Mar-2015 7:16:30
#12 ]
Cult Member

@nbache

Quote:

I use DOpus 4 myself, so I'm not sure if it's similar in DOpus 5, but I set the stack for such an invocation inside DOpus, in the window where you define the button or hotkey.

I don't think the problem has anything to do with Dopus.

There was a time -- maybe after one of the OS4.1 upgrades -- when the only way to run PageStream was via the Shell. Clicking the icon would lead to a crash. Most recently, before getting DOpus5 and eventually setting up the aforesaid hotkey, it was my habit to start it that way. I can still do it that way in 4.1u6.

If I now boot FE and do not run DOpus, but use the shell to try to launch PageStream, I get the same result as I would if I started DOpus and used the hotkey: new PageStream screen with the two little gizmos, but CPUInfo continues forever to report 100% usage. Limpid Clock stops. I can still move the pointer around the screen, but clicking has no effect. I must reboot (which I can usually do warm).

I think stack size is probably not the problem.

Hypex 
Posted on 1-Mar-2015 13:23:25
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Deniil715

Quote:
Could it be a stack issue?

These things shouldn't be a problem. ISTR one of the OS4 features was automatic stack enlargement. Being we are now at the final version of OS4.1 it should be in there already.

Xenic 
Posted on 1-Mar-2015 15:09:29
#14 ]

@kilaueabart
Quote:
If I now boot FE and do not run DOpus, but use the shell to try to launch PageStream, I get the same result as I would if I started DOpus and used the hotkey: new PageStream screen with the two little gizmos, but CPUInfo continues forever to report 100% usage. Limpid Clock stops. I can still move the pointer around the screen, but clicking has no effect. I must reboot (which I can usually do warm).

I still use PageStream4 and if I want to start it from a shell or script I need to change the current directory to the main PageStream directory (e.g. CD Work:PageStream4). Also, did you copy any PageStream assignments you might have had in your user-startup for OS4.1u6?

Deniil715 
Posted on 1-Mar-2015 21:42:39
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Stack is still very much an issue I think. There is a system-wide stack size replacement on startup, set in WB prefs, but it isn't dynamic during runtime. Due to the current global memory model there cannot be any dynamic stack-enlargements IIRC, because public memory can't be moved, and stack is public memory since you can store any kind of wierd stuff on it and set away anywhere.

At least that's my understanding....

broadblues 
Posted on 1-Mar-2015 22:40:58
#16 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Deniil715

Quote:

Stack is still very much an issue I think. There is a system-wide stack size replacement on startup, set in WB prefs, but it isn't dynamic during runtime. Due to the current global memory model there cannot be any dynamic stack-enlargements IIRC, because public memory can't be moved, and stack is public memory since you can store any kind of wierd stuff on it and set away anywhere.

At least that's my understanding....

WB prefs sets the (minimum) stack for WB lauched programs, but ofcourse that may be higher in the icon. DOS prefs sets the global porcess stack size which will overide WB prefs.

As to stack enlargement, any program can increase it's stack at anytime, and some gadgets do indeed do this to ensure sufficient stack for rendering. Don't know what you are on about with the global memory model stuff.

The problem with dynamic enlargement would be with knowing when to incraese the stack, the appliaction could include code with each function call to check available stack (as libnix can have in it if desired) but this is inefficient, as every functin call gets an increased overhead. Stuff like alloca would also break that is pushed too hard.

Or you need to do it from outside, maybe using the MMU to detect an overwrite, and allocating a new stack frame , I can't imagine that being efficient either.

Also note you should *never* put system structures on the stack as it *is* pageable for PPC programs as far as I understand (but not for 68k programs).

kilaueabart 
Posted on 3-Mar-2015 1:37:53
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Xenic
PageStream4 conked out on me years ago. Problems with assigns or something. As I recall it didn't handle graphics well -- something about jpegs?

Anyway, the solution to my problem turned out to be very simple. I didn't have MUI set up right. I copied by hand what I had in u6's to FE (the main thing was apparently unchecking "Like Workbench"), and now LShift^LCtrl^P brings a working PageStream5 right up.

Except I don't know how to get the colors right. I have no idea what "First/Last 4 colors" are, or what "Pen" I am adjusting. I suppose it's just a matter of poking around until I figure it out.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle