Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 59 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Musashi5150

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Musashi5150:  1 min ago
 agami:  7 mins ago
 pavlor:  42 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 amig_os:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 cdimauro:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 berylbruse:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 timothyferriss:  2 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  Access Denied! Your address is blacklisted.
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Phantom 
Access Denied! Your address is blacklisted.
Posted on 29-May-2015 22:56:25
#1 ]
Elite Member

This is happen often and it's really annoying (even while posting or sending pms):

Quote:
Access Denied! Your address is blacklisted. More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Can it be fixed please?

Profile     Report this post  
BrianHoskins 
Re: Access Denied! Your address is blacklisted.
Posted on 29-May-2015 23:06:52
#2 ]
Cult Member

@Phantom

It happens a lot to me as well. When the problem occurs I lose my post content - selecting 'back' in the browser takes me back to a blank post entry field. For this reason I've developed a habit of using CTRL-A, CTRL-C before I select the 'submit' button.

Kicko 
Posted on 30-May-2015 10:06:19
#3 ]
Elite Member

Happens to me at work too but there (sweden) we are going thru german servers.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 30-May-2015 10:22:16
#4 ]
Cult Member

@Kicko

Unfortunately for me it happens at home. I do use a VPN sometimes, but it happens even if I don't use a VPN. The strange thing (and the reason it seems like a website bug) is that if I try multiple times it does eventually accept my post without complaint.

itix 
Posted on 30-May-2015 11:51:54
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

Same here on every hotel and airport.

danwood 
Posted on 30-May-2015 15:10:22
#6 ]

I've not seen it for a few months, but getting it every thing I click on here today. If I refresh 4 or 5 times it will show. But yeah. very annoying.

Last edited by danwood on 30-May-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Tuxedo 
Posted on 30-May-2015 15:53:11
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Phantom

to me happens a lot while postin from my phone, from AmigaOS never...

_Steve_ 
Posted on 30-May-2015 16:26:21
#8 ]
Team Member

For anyone who is seeing this message - it is simply that the IP you are connecting to the site with is found in the Spamhaus CBL or XBL list. You can check the reason for them having it there via http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/.

If you are on a dynamic IP (and most of us are these days), then the likelihood is that someone else who had the IP was the cause of it being included in the CBL/XBL. You can request the IP is removed by following the link from their site.

Before anyone complains that this is a pain - I have gone through this process myself when an IP allocated to me by my ISP was included in the blocklist for some random malware trojan that was not on or caused by my machine. I requested the IP be removed which happened fairly quickly and I was able to carry on here without problem.

If you happen to be connecting from a work IP that is blocked, then it would appear your workplace has an issue with either the way they are configured or internally with machines having a trojan/virus/malware problem.

The spamhaus filter is in place here to limit the amount spam accounts and automated junk that the site was receiving in large volumes. It has been very effective, and because the spamhaus lists are regularly updated it does mean that where an IP may have been included for a minor reason, it is likely to be removed from their lists fairly quickly.

We appreciate that some users will be affected by this, and we apologise for any inconvenience those users face when trying to connect/post. Unfortunately it is not something that can be easily changed due to the nature of how it works.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 30-May-2015 17:00:50
#9 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

Thanks for the reply Steve.

My personal experience with this problem goes back a very long time. It's not just a recent problem for me.

I tried the spamhaus link and entered my current IP but I didn't really understand the implications for the results. Here's the link:

http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL237085

Apparently my IP is listed on the PBL, and the explanation seems to suggest (as far as I can tell) that the block is related to email communications. I am assuming this should not effect my experiences here?

If I connect to my VPN, I get an all-clear result. But I have experienced the problem whilst connected to my VPN.

Another thing which makes me doubt that this is related to being on a blacklist is the fact that I can get AmigaWorld.net to cooperate simply by trying again multiple times. If the problem was related to my IP being on a blacklist, would I not be permanently blocked from posting on AmigaWorld.net?

_Steve_ 
Posted on 30-May-2015 18:36:08
#10 ]
Team Member

@BrianHoskins

The spamhaus module we have in place is only using the CBL list. If your IP is not shown under this list then you shouldn't have a problem on the site.

If there is an entry under either of these listings, then the link it gives takes you to a detailed reason for the IP being included on that particular list, and offers resolutions to having it removed.

The PBL list is not used by the module we have installed on the server. Essentially, there is a module installed which compares you to the blacklist from spamhaus. If the IP address you are on is found, the module then restricts access to the site. It is not part of the site CMS, but is an apache module on the server itself.

By default only POST, PUT, OPTIONS, CONNECT methods are blocked by the module, which is why it may only show when you go to post a comment rather than connect to the site itself.

Last edited by _Steve_ on 30-May-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Last edited by _Steve_ on 30-May-2015 at 06:39 PM.

RobertB 
Posted on 30-May-2015 21:53:07
#11 ]

Yeah, I would get this message when trying to log in from Denny's Restaurant, from my workplace at school, and even at times, from home. Very irksome! I reported this situation months ago to Matthew Leaman of AmigaKit (who I thought was taking care of this site), but I received no reply.

I will try to resolve this by using Steve's suggestions.

Writing from the nearby Chinese restaurant,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
July 18-19 Commodore Vegas Expo v11 -
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Last edited by RobertB on 30-May-2015 at 09:53 PM.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 31-May-2015 8:52:47
#12 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:

By default only POST, PUT, OPTIONS, CONNECT methods are blocked by the module, which is why it may only show when you go to post a comment rather than connect to the site itself.

Thanks for the info. I still don't understand why retrying a post multiple times eventually works. If the reason for the block is that my ip address is on a blacklist, I'd expect to be permanently blocked from posting until my ip address changed or it was removed from the list.

I checked my ip against the CBL and it wasn't on there, but since the block only happens intermittently, and my IP address is potentially changing from time to time, then perhaps I need to check it again when the problem happens. I'll report back my findings!

Cheers,

Brian.

[EDIT]: To the op; I hope you don't think I'm hijacking your thread, I am assuming that my posts are helpful for you too, since we appear to experience the same trouble.

Last edited by BrianHoskins on 31-May-2015 at 08:58 AM.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 31-May-2015 22:39:23
#13 ]
Team Member

@BrianHoskins

Spamhaus lists are updated every 10 minutes. There is always the possibility that it was on the list prior to one refresh and not on it afterwards.

kolla 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 12:48:58
#14 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

How about fixing DNS for amigaworld.net already? The nameserver on 85.25.152.36 is the _only_ functional NS record for the domain, the two others do NOT respond on requests regarding amigaworld.net! The poor box that is _entire_ amigaworld.net it seems, is already throtling lookup requests when I do it manually, and with 300 sec TTL for everything in the zone, the service is very vulnerable for very simple DOS attack - simply by hammering port 53 for 5 minutes and amigaworld.net does no longer exist in DNS.

Quickfix - set more sane TTL values so that zone datas live longer on resolvers!!
Solution - fix the slave servers (c.ns.buddyns.com and d.ns.buddyns.com), or get new ones! The way they behave, reminds me of slaves that are not permitted to do zone transfers from the master.

I am just tired of reloading on ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED on my phone and pad!

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 13:13:24
#15 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:

kolla wrote:
@_Steve_
Quickfix - set more sane TTL values so that zone datas live longer on resolvers!!

Out of interest, what is TTL? I'm an electronics guy so for me TTL means Transistor-Transistor Logic. But it clearly means something else for you! I know a little bit about DNS but I haven't come across TTL in that context before.

Cheers.

Anonymous 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 13:15:52
# ]

@BrianHoskins

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_to_live

Report this post  
BrianHoskins 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 13:35:52
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Raziel

Thanks for that. I've got a surface level understanding from that but I can't quite visualise why a data packet would circulate round and around (if not for TTL) in the first place. But that's the thing about complicated things; you ask one question, and the answer to that one opens up a bunch of other questions!

Will have to do some reading.

Cheers.

kolla 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 18:08:36
#18 ]
Elite Member

@BrianHoskins

DNS simplified:

There are two types of name servers, punlishing name servers and resolving name servers.

* publish name servers are those you see listed as source for a domain in DNS, the NS records in a lookup for a zone, these severs (given ny name) are supposed to conatain up-to-date and synchronized records concerning the zone, and be able to answer requests about that zone authoritatively. The TLD (top level domain, in this case .net) also contains NS records for amigaworld.net, and also A records (or AAAA for IPv6) with IP addresses of the specific publishing servers, so called glue record. These must at least partially match those in the actual zone, and shoulf definitely match exactly.

* resolvers, dumb servers that traverse the DNS hierarcy from the top (.) to (net.) and further down (amigaworld.net.) to find the right servers to ask for the records that a client has asked for, and importantly, cache this information for a reasonable ammount of time. Resolvers also exist internally in operating systems as various stub resolvers, with or without caching.

TTL (time to live) tells a caching resolver how long to keep the records before asking again, which for a resolving name server means traversing DNS again. For amigaworld.net, one issue is that 2 of the 3 publishing servers do not answer. Depending on implementation of resolver, all NS servers are asked sequentually or in parallel. Sequentually, it will send a request and in round robin fashion it will not get a reply in 2 of 3 cases, but it will wait a little before giving up. In parallel the situation is a little better as one server will actually answer. Unless it is busy, or simply thinks this client has bloody well asked often enough. Now, imagine a slow network, NAT router behind NAT router, and the resolvers on these routers are typically very simple (not much RAM for caching) and set to ask their own configured (via DHCP) resolver (the NAT router one jump closer to Internet). My Chrome asks iOS on my phone or pad, via stub resolver libs, to look up amigaworld.net net, the resolver stubs then asks the first NAT router (typically wireless AP), which then again asks thr second NAT router (typically telecom prop) which then asks the ISPs resolvers, which traverse DNS and at long last may or may not get an answers from the amigaworld.net's publishing server. Since this may involve 2/3 miss over hit it may take a while and my closest NAT server may have given up, so no luck. Or I may be lucky and score by hitting amigaworld.net's publishing server and get results, happy data that live in the resolvers for entire 5 minutes before officially being outdated.

Hete is where negative caching comes in, TTL for the zone itself also tells the resolver how long it shall wait until asking again for that zone, that is not only for how long the zone records are valid, but for how long resolver is supposed to wait before asking again in case the zone data is unavailable. In case of amigaworld.net, _all_ TTL values are for some reason set to 300 seconds, 5 minutes, so I risk having to wait 5 minutes after a failed lookup before a resolver asks again. Because ISPs router typically has more resolvers, real waiting time is anything between 0 and 300 seconds, given that the amigaworld.net box is willing to answer when requested...

To sum it up, it is darn frustrating, I have contacted the tech addresses given in whois for amigaworld.net, the address in SOA of the zone is on amigaworld.net itself and bounces (sigh!) and I have reported this here on forums a few times now. I cannot believe it can be so darn hard for a "tech company" to fix this!

Chuckt 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 18:38:19
#19 ]

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:
For anyone who is seeing this message - it is simply that the IP you are connecting to the site with is found in the Spamhaus CBL or XBL list. You can check the reason for them having it there via http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/.

If you are on a dynamic IP (and most of us are these days), then the likelihood is that someone else who had the IP was the cause of it being included in the CBL/XBL. You can request the IP is removed by following the link from their site.

Before anyone complains that this is a pain - I have gone through this process myself when an IP allocated to me by my ISP was included in the blocklist for some random malware trojan that was not on or caused by my machine. I requested the IP be removed which happened fairly quickly and I was able to carry on here without problem.

If you happen to be connecting from a work IP that is blocked, then it would appear your workplace has an issue with either the way they are configured or internally with machines having a trojan/virus/malware problem.

The spamhaus filter is in place here to limit the amount spam accounts and automated junk that the site was receiving in large volumes. It has been very effective, and because the spamhaus lists are regularly updated it does mean that where an IP may have been included for a minor reason, it is likely to be removed from their lists fairly quickly.

We appreciate that some users will be affected by this, and we apologise for any inconvenience those users face when trying to connect/post. Unfortunately it is not something that can be easily changed due to the nature of how it works.

I email two friends and I'm sure that they aren't reporting my email as spam.
I reset my I.P. address and after emailing my friends, I'm on the list again.
How do I get off the list?

We don't have malware or trojans anymore.

http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-removal

Last edited by Chuckt on 20-Jun-2015 at 06:38 PM.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 16:39:40
#20 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:
@BrianHoskins

Spamhaus lists are updated every 10 minutes. There is always the possibility that it was on the list prior to one refresh and not on it afterwards.

I am now experiencing this problem again. I checked the CBL and it transpires that my ip address is indeed listed on it.

I can still use AmigaWorld.net, but I have to retry posts / logins multiple times.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle