Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 52 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

pavlor,  pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pavlor:  2 mins ago
 pixie:  4 mins ago
 BigD:  7 mins ago
 zipper:  18 mins ago
 OlafS25:  21 mins ago
 Gunnar:  45 mins ago
 OldFart:  56 mins ago
 saleliterary:  58 mins ago
 prawnplop:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  USB2 cards supported in OS 4.1 FE?
Register To Post

PosterThread
DWolfman 
USB2 cards supported in OS 4.1 FE?
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 16:05:55
#1 ]

So, I got my copy of FE for the A1 XE on Friday, got it set up over the weekend and really liking the stability. So since it's so much more stable than it used to be, I'm thinking of getting a USB2 card for it. I had a used one I got at a local thrift store which had on of the supported NEC chips, but it is no longer working (dead, even in a PC). I'm looking at this card at NewEgg, which appears to have one of the other supported chipsets from what I see on IntuitionBase.

Before I order that card, does anyone know of any specific quirks on that chipset in the A1 XE? Is there another card that would be better to get with that chipset? Or how about a list of known compatible chipsets/chips that are USB2 capable on FE? I've not seen anywhere that I can find a list like that, where it is just one simple list of what chips should work.

Last edited by DWolfman on 29-Jun-2015 at 04:07 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
logicalheart 
Re: USB2 cards supported in OS 4.1 FE?
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 2:43:38
#2 ]
Cult Member

@DWolfman

Here is the on I used in my AmigaOne XE.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZKPU1W?colid=2H5LXEAIO42H1&coliid=I1JBZ31K605WXX&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

DWolfman 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 8:13:29
#3 ]

@logicalheart

Looks like that has the NEC chipset. Only drawback is I need the 9-pin header like the one I found to hook up the front panel USB connectors in the A1's case.

Anybody with experience on the VIA chipset ones like I found?

DWolfman 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 12:16:56
#4 ]

Well, my "search-fu" must be lacking. I searched for threads before but didn't find this one until now. Looks like the card I'm looking at should work fine.

Hypex 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 15:13:03
#5 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

Quote:
Anybody with experience on the VIA chipset ones like I found?

Yes. AVOID!

I bought two VIA USB2.0 cards in my lifetime for my A1. Both had USB2 mode broken in OS4.1. But it worked in Linux. I got an NEC USB 2.0 card from an Amiga meet I found by accident and it worked out of the box.

Actually, if you read the details of that thread (and the Hyperion forums also has one) you will see I tried the VIA VT6202 chipset that failed and someone had the VIA VT6212L chipset which can work.

In any case, USB2 on the A1 can be a bit like 2GB RAM on the A1. You don't know if it will work on your machine, even if the parts are in the working list. And no USB2 hardware is guaranteed to work.

VIA is less likely to work but some do. NEC is more likely to work but some don't. If only these compurers were more scientific!

DWolfman 
Posted on 1-Jul-2015 18:12:46
#6 ]

@Hypex

Well, I wouldn't even have asked if the old NEC card I already have hadn't died somewhere on the way. It worked at one time in the A1, but was so unstable (even if nothing was plugged in to it) that it would hard lock the A1 within minutes after boot was finished.

Now it doesn't even work in a PC, so I started looking. Right now looking through my usual purchasing spots it is either VIA VT6212L/VT6214L or some other non-supported chip.

Still, there are some who said the very card I linked to worked, so I don't mind spending the money for it to try it out, since it isn't that much to begin with.

DWolfman 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 14:31:46
#7 ]

Hmm, now the old NEC card is working in a PC. Not sure what is going on with it now.

Think I'll try it in the A1 again. What it was doing before was it wasn't even being recognized.

Even if it works, though, I'll likely still try the VIA chipset one as I'd like to hook up the front panel USB. This NEC card only has two external ports, no connector for internal or front panel ports.

DWolfman 
Posted on 3-Jul-2015 0:24:42
#8 ]

For some reason this NEC USB card is still not working on the A1. At least it still super unstable with it installed. If I put it in the middle PCI slot, I can at least boot into OS 4.1 FE, and it is recognized. However, if I plug anything USB in to it, it hard locks the whole system as soon as it's plugged in.

Tried in the fourth PCI slot, but that's even worse. A1 won't even finish booting.

Thing is I'm not really surprised. This card has never really worked well for me except when I just tried it in the PC earlier. It had trouble being recognized in the PC before, so I think the card has issues anyway.

But something I'm curious about. For those of you who have working USB2 cards in their A1 XEs, did you have to disable in UBoot the on board USB to get it stable? or maybe remove the UHCI driver from Kicklayout so it wouldn't load the onboard stuff? I'm thinking of trying that next.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle