Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
29 crawler(s) on-line.
 91 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Beajar:  7 mins ago
 Rob:  9 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 32 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 Bruce72:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 t0lkien:  3 hrs 17 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Wings Battlefield
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sicky 
Wings Battlefield
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 8:50:52
#1 ]
Elite Member

Hi gamers

Just bought this game, what a fantastic game! It supports LAN play but unfortunately not WAN play, spoke to people involved and they said if there is enough interest they would consider having s WAN play option.
It would be fantastic flying a bi-plane shooting down other Amiga enthusiasts me thinks lol.
We could have a score board to see who is best. This is the best Amiga game I have played in ages and I urge you to download the demo and give it a try and if you like it to buy it to help the developers, well worth it me thinks.

Available from Amedia Computer

AmigaKit are now stocking this game

Sicky

Last edited by sicky on 20-Jun-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
Rob 
Re: Wings Battlefield
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 9:20:57
#2 ]
Elite Member

@sicky

I'll be getting it mysself soon.

WAN play would be great since many users are so far from each other. Maybe people get in an argument on the forums could settle their scores with quick duel.

Just gave me a a thought for another feature. The ability to import your own decals for the planes.

Nicsoft 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 12:21:56
#3 ]

I saw that Alinea has it back in stock to...
http://www.alinea-computer.de/

sicky 
Posted on 20-Jun-2015 14:28:44
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Would be great fun me thinks, shooting down fellow Amigans lol

Daytona675x 
Posted on 22-Jun-2015 11:07:58
#5 ]

@sicky
@Rob
Thanks
Yes, I will consider adding WAN support if it turns out to be worth the trouble (= if the game sells well in Amiga terms ).

WAN support requires quite some additional work compared to LAN support. For example a dedicated web server has to be implemented to manage sessions and for "negotiation" between session-starters and session-joiners. The UI needs to reflect that, of course. Additional code has to be added to compensate for lags. Testing all this isn't fun neither.

All in all: we'll see. Right now it looks quite promising regarding the game's success, so chances for WAN support grow

sicky 
Posted on 22-Jun-2015 12:43:17
#6 ]
Elite Member

@Daytona675x

That's great to hear you are considering it, I think it would make the game more attractive as gives an element of Amiga spirit being able to play against others on-line.

Would be happy to pay an upgrade fee too!

Last edited by sicky on 22-Jun-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Overflow 
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 16:20:25
#7 ]

Just got my 2 copies of the game and installed it.

I have to say that the overall presentation of the game is outstanding.
As Ive said before, the game is very simple, but gives you some quick fun shooting down your friends.

That aside;

The CD box layout looks good.
Installing was quick, in addition to the automatic update.

The game menu and option presentation is outstanding. Clean design and easy to manuver around in.

Its the overall foundation that I really REALLY like.

I see the game itself as a proof of technology, a foundation.
For myself I find the gameplay decentish.
I LOVE Voxelbird and Voxelnoid, but that's just a matter of personal taste.
I know Daytona makes a point out of the fact that the gameplay is supposed to be simple, but that's the fact for Voxelbid and Voxelnoid too.
For some reason I still find those 2 earlier games miles ahead in the "fun" department.

Granted, Ive just played around with the game for a very short while.

But soon Ive have a LAN party at my own house, so there will be beer, good food and shooting down friends in Wings Battlefield

Last edited by Overflow on 29-Jun-2015 at 04:27 PM.

itix 
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 19:51:26
#8 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

I just tried tried it on my Mac and it could be better. Graphics are okay for an Amiga game but game play need more realism because now it is to simple and easy. It seems that bullets hit immediately where your cockpit is heading to. In Wings you had to aim at advance to get hit.

The cockpit graphics could also indicate some damage to your plane, there could be some smoke coming out from your engine when hit and so on. Small details that could make game more exciting.

And the last but not least it seems you never crash to the ground so it doesn't matter how you manouver your plane. Just turn cockpit as quickly as you can to find an enemy...

There are also lot more fine details what could get better. At the moment I can not recommend getting this game. Sorry to say that but I just want to be honest.

Overflow 
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 20:44:04
#9 ]

@itix

What I take from the combination of Wings Battlefield, VoxelBird/Noid, the general impression is that Cherry Darling got a massive potential.

They got very clean graphics style, lovely music and obviously skilled at programming.
Wings just isn't as "complete" as their 2 first games, which again, I found VERY entertaining.
That said; I don't even find War Thunder particularly entertaining, so ..

I have a silent hope they make a "Counterstrike" style game.

Small maps with the Gungame/Deathmatch theme would be brilliant, and looking at the TwitchTV viewer count its a massively popular type of game.

Daytona675x 
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 21:44:52
#10 ]

@sicky
Quote:
Would be happy to pay an upgrade fee too!

Thanks, but the WAN update will of course come as a free update!

@overflow
Thanks for the feedback
Yes, it's meant to be simple, and it's also meant to be played with others.
I think the best comparism is a Bomberman-session:
it's the more fun the more human players really. It's no game to play alone. Yes, you can do it, but that's not what it was made for. And here the simplicity is a true win: everybody can immediately grasp it.

Quote:
I have a silent hope they make a "Counterstrike" style game

No, never!
Next thing will be WAN support for Wings Battlefield.

@itix
Well, it's a matter of taste, after all we are Cherry Darling and not Everybody's Darling
However:

Quote:
It seems that bullets hit immediately where your cockpit is heading to.

That's a just wrong, please try again. You can even see the bullets flying around, wonder how you could overlook those? Of course you have to aim taking the flight path, bullet velocity and distance to the opponent into account.
Actually the bullets fly rather slow compared to other games of this type, so in reality aiming (and hitting) is probably more difficult as in other such games.

Quote:
game play need more realism because now it is to simple

No, no, we don't want realism. This is what it's all about, manual page 1:
Quote:
Wings Battlefield is no flight simulator. And it’s no history lesson. It’s probably best described as playing cops and robbers in the sky and between hills. Consequently the game play has been kept as simple as possible and can be explained in just one sentence: Don’t crash your airplane, creep up on your opponents, shoot’em down before they do.

If you want realism then this is not the right game for you.
If you find it too easy: increase CPU intelligence in the game-play-menu. Or find better human opponents

Quote:
Small details that could make game more exciting.

Yes, of course, you can always make it better. Problem is that "small" details tend to sum up into a huge pile of work. At some point it's finito.
Some improvement ideas from the users that we find good and reasonable will be added and delivered by the updater though (soon to come: "boost" control)

Quote:
And the last but not least it seems you never crash to the ground so it doesn't matter how you manouver your plane.

Of course you can crash into the ground. It's just that you don't get destroyed (well, not necessarily at least).

Or do you mean that the airplane won't stall? If you miss stalling: during testing stalling turned out to be less fun. Once again the simplicity seemed to be the best choice.
However, maybe that stall-thingy is worth being considered as an additional game-play option.

What happens when you ram the terrain is that a) you slow down massively (so you are an easier target for some moments), b) you bump somewhat off course, c) depending on gameplay settings you optionally lose some hitpoints.

Of course it makes a difference how you manouver your plane - and a pretty huge one:
The most obvious difference is that people who cruise through the terrain instead of flying above it are harder to hit. Another difference is that your fuel consumption depends on your manouver style (see manual). Your airplane's velocity is also strongly depending on your manouver style.

Quote:
At the moment I can not recommend getting this game

Too bad But since some of your criticism was based on wrong observations, maybe give it another try? Anway, good that we have free demo versions so that you could try before, so we don't have to handle an unsatisfied customer

My recommendation to others is:
Check out the demo versions and make up your own opinion

Last edited by Daytona675x on 30-Jun-2015 at 04:50 AM.
Last edited by Daytona675x on 30-Jun-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Last edited by Daytona675x on 30-Jun-2015 at 04:28 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 29-Jun-2015 22:36:36
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Daytona675x

Agree about counter strike. There's plenty of FPS games for the Amiga and I'd rather see a bit more variety.

How much work would it take to add the option of a co-op mode where one player pilots the plane while another mans a gun turret? It could make for some more interesting battles and would allow more players to participate at once.

Daytona675x 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 4:32:29
#12 ]

@Rob
Quote:
How much work would it take to add the option of a co-op mode where one player pilots the plane while another mans a gun turret? It could make for some more interesting battles and would allow more players to participate at once.

You can do that
The game allows you to assign the fire-button (or anything else) of a another joystick to a player profile. If you play that style often I'd take for example profile 4, name it "Our Co-op profile", map movements to joystick 1 and map the fire-button to joystick 2.

Or, now that I read it again: I suppose you mean something like:
an option so that player B is sitting inside player A's airplane but both have their own display area, where player B doesn't see the normal cockpit view but a fat gattling instead which he can move around.
Hm, very interesting idea indeed... but definitely not something that can be added quickly. But worth considering, I'd like it

However, that won't increase the number of simultan players, you still got max. 4 split-screen areas / max. 4 LAN players.

Last edited by Daytona675x on 30-Jun-2015 at 05:21 AM.

jPV 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 5:17:43
#13 ]
Cult Member

@Overflow

Quote:

Overflow wrote:
@itix

What I take from the combination of Wings Battlefield, VoxelBird/Noid, the general impression is that Cherry Darling got a massive potential.

They got very clean graphics style, lovely music and obviously skilled at programming.
Wings just isn't as "complete" as their 2 first games, which again, I found VERY entertaining.

Their _3_ first games ;) I still probably like the Ace of Hearts game the most by its classic re-playability and details. Everyone should get that for the perfect classic card game option.

But yes, there is now a VERY lovely base to build new games, and multiplayer capabilities will maximize the interest. Multi player games for the parties (and internet) is what we really need today.

itix 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 6:36:59
#14 ]
Elite Member

@Daytona675x

Quote:

That's a just wrong, please try again. You can even see the bullets flying around, wonder how you could overlook those? Of course you have to aim taking the flight path, bullet velocity and distance to the opponent into account.
Actually the bullets fly rather slow compared to other games of this type, so in reality aiming (and hitting) is probably more difficult as in other such games.

Maybe I was just too close to the opponent to notice that.

Quote:

Of course you can crash into the ground. It's just that you don't get destroyed (well, not necessarily at least).

I think that makes it too easy as you dont have to care if you hit the ground. I find it was easiest to ignore altitude and just roll around to hit enemies.

Quote:

The most obvious difference is that people who cruise through the terrain instead of flying above it are harder to hit. Another difference is that your fuel consumption depends on your manouver style (see manual). Your airplane's velocity is also strongly depending on your manouver style.

So far (against CPU opponents) I never ran out of fuel...

Quote:

But since some of your criticism was based on wrong observations, maybe give it another try?

Sure, I give it another try today evening with better graphics and different tactics. There is lot potential in this game, even if I dont find it very exciting, yet

Daytona675x 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 7:15:06
#15 ]

@itix
Quote:
I think that makes it too easy as you dont have to care if you hit the ground. I find it was easiest to ignore altitude and just roll around to hit enemies.

To me that sounds like you are either simply too good for this game and / or the CPU intelligence is too low for you The avg. player should have a tough time if he doesn't use the terrain to hide against "intelligent" CPU opponents.

Quote:
So far (against CPU opponents) I never ran out of fuel...

You can tweak the initial fuel setting too. You should definitely play a bit with the CPU intelligence and the initial fuel setting. And the "plating" option.
It's pretty hard to make it fit all needs. Some players are real good at such games and others suck. We wanted to make it fun even for "beginners", therefore the default settings are meant for those.

Quote:
Sure, I give it another try today evening with better graphics and different tactics. There is lot potential in this game, even if I dont find it very exciting, yet

Great Regarding gfx: the default settings are rather low too, so it's working rather smooth on lower end machines (like my own MorphOS system) right after installation. Increase everything to max.

Last edited by Daytona675x on 30-Jun-2015 at 07:18 AM.

Nicsoft 
Posted on 30-Jun-2015 12:33:04
#16 ]

Ordered from Alinea...

"Die Sendung wurde am 15.06.2015 in unserem Logistikzentrum Frankfurt Flughafen bearbeitet."

The postal workers are still at strike!

sicky 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 13:43:50
#17 ]
Elite Member

@Nicsoft

Quote:

Don't you just hate that when that happens? Hope you get your game soon

Rob 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 16:30:48
#18 ]
Elite Member

Just collected my copy from AmigaKit this afternoon. It's still in the shrink wrap at the moment but I've literally only just got in.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 2-Jul-2015 18:33:11
#19 ]

@sicky

Quote:

sicky wrote:
@Nicsoft

Quote:

Don't you just hate that when that happens? Hope you get your game soon

Not on strike here but they damaged the case when they delivered.

sicky 
Posted on 5-Jul-2015 13:59:55
#20 ]
Elite Member

@TiredofLife

Quote:
Not on strike here but they damaged the case when they delivered.

That's not good!

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle