Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 144 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

kolla

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  1 min ago
 Gunnar:  13 mins ago
 Hypex:  34 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  52 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Free Windows 10 upgrade
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
thinkchip 
Free Windows 10 upgrade
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 13:41:51
#1 ]

Windows 10 is coming out in a few days. For some reason Microsoft is giving away the update for free. Since I have three computers that run Windows I will save $300. Thanks Microsoft! It seems it will have integrated speech recognition and other major enhancements.

on a sadder note, that means Amiga is getting even farther behind. It's back there in the dust somewhere. Can't see it.

Profile     Report this post  
DWolfman 
Re: Free Windows 10 upgrade
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 13:50:32
#2 ]

@thinkchip

Yup, it is a good deal and I'm not sure why they are doing that yet. Seems odd anyay.

Having said that, I've been part of the Windows Insider program for a few months, running the preview/beta builds on one of my laptops. It is actually pretty good, and the user interface makes sense (much more than 8 did!). It's at least as stable right now on the 10240 build released recently as Windows 7 is on that same machine.

One thing to watch out for though on that free upgrade. It is not transferable! Each machine you upgrade gets an exclusive license for Windows 10 that cannot be transferred to another PC. But so long as the other PC already has Windows 7 or 8 on it, it can get it's own Windows 10 license anyway.

If I do update my other computers, I'll need to re-do my Windows 7 installs. I have a bunch of license keys I got from a Technet subscription back in 2009 (this was before they dropped the subscriptions on that), and several of my installs were done with the Windows 7 Enterprise key I got with it. Those can't get the free upgrade, so I'll need to look up that edition-switch trick I saw on askvg.com or on Paul Thurott's site and change those to Win 7 Ultimate before the upgrade.

tangoone 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 13:57:53
#3 ]

@thinkchip

why do I read about windows10 on a amiga news page. ????????????

I own a pc (must use it every day due to work web development) but have zero plans in getting w10.

EDanaII 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 14:16:24
#4 ]

Caveat, emptor: http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-as-a-service-the-pros-and-cons/

Like a drug dealer, they're giving out free samples in hopes that people will get hooked. To me, this means the Alternatives may rise again. I will likely start looking for alternatives like Linux, although I wish I could turn to Amiga as a serious alternative...

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 14:44:48
#5 ]

Can one install the free upgrade on a different partition than the Windows you already have? My Windows 7 partition is huge and full of things I have collected for many years I will not risk losing anything.

Moreover, is it worth it, Windows 8 was no particularly interesting upgrade. It made the desktops look and behave like if it was cell phones with touchscreens.

mcbone 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 14:49:11
#6 ]
Cult Member

@LimoU.Sin

only win7 or win 8.1 win 8.1 his better to upgrade from than win 7

An Apple a day keep bill gates away

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 15:48:19
#7 ]

@mcbone

Yes I think so too. It was a heck going from XP to 7, had to reinstall everything. The positive side was that 7 was much better than Vista if you configured 7 to behave like XP. Windows 10 has probably some things I would like to have later but not yet.

F0L 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 16:25:59
#8 ]
Team Member

@tangoone

Quote:

tangoone wrote:
@thinkchip

why do I read about windows10 on a amiga news page. ????????????

I own a pc (must use it every day due to work web development) but have zero plans in getting w10.

Apparently its in general dicussion, so spose its fine.

Last edited by F0L on 24-Jul-2015 at 04:28 PM.

TheAMIgaOne 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 16:55:20
#9 ]
Cult Member

@thinkchip

Lol upgrade, I'm actually clearing my Window 8.1 system down to go back to windows 7.

AmigaOneXE OS4.1.6

TaoSoftwareBlog Youtube

_Steve_ 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 22:23:41
#10 ]
Team Member

@tangoone

Because the thread topic area is "General Technology" (which covers this sort of thing).

I also use PCs every day through necessity, but a free upgrade to the current OS isn't a bad thing.

Although I hope it is going to be better than the previous OS, as I found Win 7 quite tolerable, but Windows 8 drives me insane on my partners laptop.

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 22:47:20
#11 ]
Cult Member

Windows 10 is free for one big reason - to get everyone onto the new app store/universal application model.

The problem with Windows 8/8.1 is that any new semi-universal apps for 8.x weren't backward-compatible with Windows 7.

Same idea now with Windows 10 - with the new multi-platform (phone/tablet/PC) universal application model the underlying runtime is not backwards compatible with W7, 8 or 8.1.

This leaves MS developers a bit "screwed" when deciding on their target platform. Write a "classic" Win32 app and be able to target Windows 7 and up but be left out of the phone/tablet market? Write an 8.x application with almost no target market share?

MS had two choices - backport the ecosystem to W7/8/8.1 or make the upgrade to W10 painless/free. They chose the easiest/wisest solution - make W10 a free upgrade.

Makes sense as well. W10 will (eventually) be a much better product than W7 especially compared to W8.1 for desktop users. The new Edge browse is a nice bonus.

LimoU.Sin 
Posted on 24-Jul-2015 23:52:43
#12 ]

Quote:

gregthecanuck wrote:
Windows 10 is free for one big reason - to get everyone onto the new app store/universal application model.

Yes probably. LOL

I hate so-called App stores, I actually hate everything that uses the word App! Who the heck came up with such a silly word as APP? Ther is nothing other than software or programs one can eventually split into types of programs. When I install something on my phone I avoid the APP store, i have never ever signed up on any APP store and never will. Instead I have download directly from a Software archive or directly from the developer 'own home page.

I hate using money over the internett except in very special cases such as paying bills and using my netbank. I can also buy from a local netstores which actually also has a real shop nearby, but that's just barely.

thinkchip 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 2:11:35
#13 ]

@thread

I've had this conversation before a few dozen times and I still don't understand why people hate Windows so much. It's bloated, but with humongous hard drives and oodles of memory it doesn't matter. There are two possible reasons for the free Windows 10 upgrade: they expect to sell something that we don't know about yet (that we'll have to buy). Or they want to make up for Windows 8, which a lot of people didn't like.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 2:59:23
#14 ]
Elite Member

@thinkchip

After reading this thread what happened to Windows 9? No one has mentioned it. Is it like a 68040 jump to a 68060 and was dropped? Perhaps because MS didn't want to confuse it with Windows 9x?

But yes, the Amiga is fading away, in the distance somewhere.

daveyw 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 3:01:25
#15 ]

@thinkchip

Quote:

thinkchip wrote:
@thread

It's bloated, but with humongous hard drives and oodles of memory it doesn't matter.

Yes it does.

M$ has always been in an arms race with hardware manufacturers. They make software that pushes hardware. So someone has to come up with better hardware. And then software comes out that makes that obsolete. On one hand it means that technology is constantly being upgraded, but on the other hand the consumer is forced into an endless cycle of upgrade-upgrade-upgrade.

Also, Windows always assumes unlimited resources, which simply isn't true.

Quote:

thinkchip wrote:
@thread

There are two possible reasons for the free Windows 10 upgrade: they expect to sell something that we don't know about yet (that we'll have to buy). Or they want to make up for Windows 8, which a lot of people didn't like.

There's far more reasons.

1) They see Windows falling behind and they're scared. This isn't 2000 anymore, there are more alternatives than ever now and no-one is afraid to use them. Windows is still pre-eminent on desktop computers, but desktop computers are becoming irrelevant. Windows is a minnow in the world of smartphones and tablets.

2) They're cannibalising their own userbase. Look at all the people in this thread who are happy to stick with 8 or 7. And there's probably still shedloads of users on XP who refuse to upgrade.

3) This one's a bit esoteric, it only just occured to me...
Talk to any long term Windows user and they'll say something like, "oh, yes, 95 was great, 98 was so-so, Me was a disaster, XP was awesome, Vista was garbage, I only took 7 cos they forced me, and I'm not interested in 8". With Windows as a service, that conversation disappears. You either like Windows or you don't.

Last edited by daveyw on 25-Jul-2015 at 03:02 AM.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 3:10:48
#16 ]
Elite Member

@LimoU.Sin

Quote:
I hate so-called App stores, I actually hate everything that uses the word App! Who the heck came up with such a silly word as APP?

Just a lazy mans way of saying application. In my day you called it a program but you didn't see pro stores rock up or people go on about pros.

But "app" is an old term as it has been used in the Amiga scene for years. I'm sure I read it in some Amiga guide from 20 years back or so but can't remember exactly what it was.

Also, I hope it doesn't upset you to find OS4.1 has the APPDIR!

klx300r 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 7:43:16
#17 ]
Elite Member

no xp mode than no Windows 10 for me.

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

cdimauro 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 8:46:31
#18 ]
Elite Member

@daveyw

Quote:

daveyw wrote:
@thinkchip

Quote:

thinkchip wrote:
@thread

It's bloated, but with humongous hard drives and oodles of memory it doesn't matter.

Yes it does.

M$ has always been in an arms race with hardware manufacturers. They make software that pushes hardware. So someone has to come up with better hardware. And then software comes out that makes that obsolete. On one hand it means that technology is constantly being upgraded, but on the other hand the consumer is forced into an endless cycle of upgrade-upgrade-upgrade.

Also, Windows always assumes unlimited resources, which simply isn't true.

What a pile of urban legends. Starting from 7, Microsoft has optimized Windows better, and better for every new release. Following this trend, Windows 10 will be better than its predecessors (while providing mode features).

Dirk-B 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 9:13:28
#19 ]

Can i install Windows 10 on AmigaOS 4.1?

PR 
Posted on 25-Jul-2015 9:22:57
#20 ]

"Just" bought a military class uber pc that was built in a local store by professionals. We agreed Win7 was the best choice. The old pc was a supermarket cheap vista many many years ago that became too slow, My Nvidia solution was faster than the computer itself that we put in the new one too.

Better not to meddle with the Win10? Just got some adware away so this is fast.
(Nearly as fast in booting than the A1XE but better Net& have to print some work stuff so that is the old all time problem) If this does not come up Finally in the Next OS Update I'll be Back only in the so called Classics that get never old.

As Kimi Räikkönen says in my shirt: Leave me Alone, I know what I'm Doing.

Or Do I ?

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle