Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cncparts:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 52 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 42 mins ago
 Bruce72:  4 hrs 44 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  Many questions
Register To Post

PosterThread
CJCaesar 
Many questions
Posted on 1-Sep-2015 23:41:16
#1 ]

Ok first I would like to thank everyone who answered by question about the A500 with the keyboard issue, I guess it was the board on the keyboard because replacing it fixed that issue. Now if only the floppy drive hadn't failed within 20 minutes of fixing the keyboard. Well yet another thing on that project.

Anyway I obtained a PAL UK Amiga 1200, and have a few questions. It works fine with 500 power brick(don't have a power converter to use the A1200 UK psu) and my RGB upscaler appears to handle the 50hz signal perfectly fine with little lag. The big question I was wondering was, should I bother replacing the 3.0 kickstart with a newer version? And if so what is the cheapest and easiest way to obtain the new rom chips here in the US(I do not have programmer).

Also will just any PCMCIA -> CF adapter work, and what do you need to add anything software wise. On a related but more esoteric note, Neo-Geo AES memory cards are PCMCIA(super specific type so 99% of other cards don't work), Is there a way to read these on the A1200. Not for any practical reason(they hold like 2KB) just kinda curious.

How do you remove Amiga keycaps so you retro bright them?

Are there any other must have mods, other then a hard drive, retro gaming wise?

Last edited by CJCaesar on 01-Sep-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Daedalus 
Re: Many questions
Posted on 2-Sep-2015 8:24:31
#2 ]

@CJCaesar

Quote:

CJCaesar wrote:

Anyway I obtained a PAL UK Amiga 1200, and have a few questions. It works fine with 500 power brick(don't have a power converter to use the A1200 UK psu) and my RGB upscaler appears to handle the 50hz signal perfectly fine with little lag. The big question I was wondering was, should I bother replacing the 3.0 kickstart with a newer version? And if so what is the cheapest and easiest way to obtain the new rom chips here in the US(I do not have programmer).

It depends on what you want to use it for. If you're just looking to play old games, there isn't a great need to upgrade. If you're looking to run OS 3.1 or above then you're better off upgrading. The ROMs are on sale from AmigaKit(Clicky).

Quote:
Also will just any PCMCIA -> CF adapter work, and what do you need to add anything software wise.

Pretty much any generic CF adaptor will work, just make sure it's the PCMCIA type and not the 32-bit CardBus type. The 32-bit types have small bumps on the side of the connector so they don't fit in a 16-bit socket like the Amiga's, so don't force it if it doesn't fit!

Quote:
On a related but more esoteric note, Neo-Geo AES memory cards are PCMCIA(super specific type so 99% of other cards don't work), Is there a way to read these on the A1200. Not for any practical reason(they hold like 2KB) just kinda curious.

I'm not familiar with them, but if they're not standard memory cards they might not work. Haven't come across any software for reading them, but then again I haven't been looking...

Quote:
How do you remove Amiga keycaps so you retro bright them?

They just pop off by gently levering them upwards. Be very careful though, it's easy to break the little actuators underneath, and it's best to use a couple of old bank cards or spudgers so you don't mark the key caps themselves.

Quote:
Are there any other must have mods, other then a hard drive, retro gaming wise?

If you're looking to run the games from the hard drive, more RAM at a minimum would be needed so you can run WHDLoad. A faster CPU would help also, but other than that you're pretty much set for retro gaming. One thing to consider though is to check the capacitors on the motherboard of the A1200. They're prone to leakage at this age, and leaks can destroy the board. Many people choose to replace them as preventative maintenance, and a few people offer the service. Try to find someone local if you are getting it done so you don't have to ship the board.

Daedalus 
Posted on 2-Sep-2015 8:48:08
#3 ]

@CJCaesar

Oh, forgot to add, for reading CF cards in the PCMCIA adaptor, you need compactflash.device for accessing the card and Fat95 for reading the standard Windows filesystem they usually use. Both are available on Aminet.

Raffaele 
Posted on 2-Sep-2015 8:55:17
#4 ]

@CJCaesar

Easiest way to obtain legal kickstart rom images is to buy Amiga Forever CD but at the moment I do not remember if ROMs included in Amiga Forever are in both versions (Cloanto Encrypted + freely flashable ones) or only the ones encrypted engraved with Cloanto Copyright limited use only.

Hypex 
Posted on 2-Sep-2015 16:37:11
#5 ]
Elite Member

@CJCaesar

There is Tools/PrepCard on the Workbench which can give you some info. Before you start downloading drivers and stuff.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle