Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 106 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  21 mins ago
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 kolla:  43 mins ago
 amigakit:  52 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  55 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Why tech journalists are all hype monkeys and the real problem with the New Nokia 3310
Register To Post

PosterThread
BigD 
Why tech journalists are all hype monkeys and the real problem with the New Nokia 3310
Posted on 24-Jun-2017 14:18:52
#1 ]
Elite Member

I am the proud owner of a new Nokia 3310 and it's a substantial improvement over my Nokia 3220 (but sadly no flashing lights on the sides to amuse my little boy). The problem I've had however is finding the regular support information online from Nokia users etc.

There are SO many moronic hype monkey journalist exposing the pros and cons of using a feature phone and playing Snake in 2017 that it is pretty much impossible to find the information I need.

The REAL problem with the new 3310 is not the lowly 2MP camera (good enough as a back up or taking a picture of a prang on your car bumper etc) or the lack of 3G or WhatsApp (no one buying one of these things is going to care about Social Media as it has a FM radio for World Affairs ). The main problem is ....

.... THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY WAY TO IMPORT / EXPORT THE CALENDAR ENTRIES!!!!

No tech journalist has mentioned this in their 'IN DEPTH' reviews but it is causing me to tear my hair out! I don't want to input ALL my entries in again manually but neither do I want to miss my deadlines / appointments!

The ONLY guidance on the Nokia website involves 'How to enter a new Calendar enty' and all further advice involves contacting my 'network service provider' or the 'reseller' I bought it off!!! I've emailed HMD Global but I shouldn't have had to! There should have been a proper manual and retro style CD-Rom for PC / Mac / if not Amiga(One) connectivity.

Really bad

I won't moan about the process of transferring my contacts from my Nokia 3220 because although fiddly as hell it is at least POSSIBLE! The calendar problem seems like one that can only be fixed with a new 'Nokia Suite' PC application. This was something that Microsoft in their infinite wisdom phased out a couple of years ago and it is unlikely that HMD Global will redevelop the old software for such a niche and marketing led product.

Oh well, I suppose I'd better get typing in the dates when my library books are due back AGAIN Sometimes reimplemented / updating RETRO products leaves out the simple things that JUST WORKED the first time round.

Saying that the Bluetooth functionality is really useful for transferring JPGS and MP3s (and your contacts off a mobile phone that also has Bluetooth = not the 3220 ) but in my life the simple use of an electronic calendar is MORE useful than the gimmicky ability to set a wallpaper or listen to Dire Straits!

Plus I suppose I should have known there'd be issues when I saw there was no USB data cable included in the box and I have to use my wife's Microsoft / Nokia Lumia one instead

This kinda takes the sheen off should have been a cheap, cheerful and fun feature phone. The radio is useful, MP3 player just works, the headphone jack is welcome and the games are fun. Asphalt 6 (£3 + price of a SMS) reminds me of Chase H.Q., Bubble Bash 2 (Free download) is like Bubble Heroes for the Amiga 68k and Brick Challenge is a good free Breakout clone. Stuff Snake and the insane battery life THERE ARE MORE THINGS TO CONSIDER! TECH JOURNALISTS TAKE NOTE!

Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
OneTimer1 
Re: Why tech journalists are all hype monkeys and the real problem with the New Nokia 3310
Posted on 24-Jun-2017 14:48:44
#2 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

The biggest problem with 'tech journalist' is IMHO, they should have called the 'Nokia 3310' an overpriced low cost China phone, you better buy in the supermarket for half the price without the name sticker.

---

Most did not even mention the built in WWW browser, because they thought they where not possible in mobiles without a touch screen.

---

Import Export functions on Contacts, Mail or Calendars ... well this is for smart phones they have a touch screen and where invented by Apple.

BigD 
Re: Why tech journalists are all hype monkeys and the real problem with the New Nokia 3310
Posted on 24-Jun-2017 14:53:41
#3 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

Quote:
Import Export functions on Contacts, Mail or Calendars ... well this is for smart phones they have a touch screen and where invented by Apple.

I'm sensing you're being sarcastic so I'll let that one go

Yes, the 3310 is overpriced but it is fun and SIMPLE in 'day to day' use at least. It has a charm and will appeal to people that want old style 'no nonsense' phone + text only with additional web and games if required desperately or if bored.

Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Jun-2017 15:55:43
#4 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

So it's got a a camera. Does it have WiFi? Given people seem to ignore that and are prefering to pay for data it seems WiFi may be out of date now.

But, given your issues, how does it compare to a top of line $1,000 or more Nokia phone from their prime? Surely they took the best phone they ever produced from that era and recreated it? Otherwise I don't see the point.

So there is at least USB support? Can it mount a drive? Do they provide any software at all downloadable or otherwise?

Hypex 
Posted on 24-Jun-2017 16:03:36
#5 ]
Elite Member

@OneTimer1

Quote:
Most did not even mention the built in WWW browser, because they thought they where not possible in mobiles without a touch screen.

Well that's a bit ignorant for a so called tech journalist. Do they know key phones supported Java before smart phones did? Or that they had mobile internet?

Browsers are old hat. I bought my first colour phone in about 2002. It had a browser. Motorola E360. I was a Motorola person and it had 4096 colours. It was like having a pocket Amiga.

outrun1978 
Posted on 24-Jun-2017 16:18:38
#6 ]
Cult Member

@thread

It's a shame Nokia pulled out of actually manufacturing phones the last proper Nokia handset I had the Nokia Lumia 925 was quite a good phone with a good operating system in Windows Phone. Such a shame it was let down by a complete lack of apps...

BigD 
Posted on 24-Jun-2017 17:18:29
#7 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@BigD

So it's got a a camera. Does it have WiFi? Given people seem to ignore that and are prefering to pay for data it seems WiFi may be out of date now.

But, given your issues, how does it compare to a top of line $1,000 or more Nokia phone from their prime? Surely they took the best phone they ever produced from that era and recreated it? Otherwise I don't see the point.

So there is at least USB support? Can it mount a drive? Do they provide any software at all downloadable or otherwise?

1) No it hasn't got WiFi and the 'internet' functionality resembles WAP+++ rather than a 3G experience. It's fine for Googling or price checking or even opening web email. There's also a Facebook app which includes FaceBook messaging (no Whatsapp though which is a shame but not a deal breaker for people that JUST want a phone).

2) They recreated a feature phone with a few mod-cons. They didn't and cannot compete with Apple and Samsung and instead used this as a marketing stunt to raise awareness of their reasonably priced Android based phones; Models 3, 5 & 6. Demand for the basic 3310 model is roughly 7 times that expected indicating some people want a return to a more simple handset that just does the basics but has some retro stylings and interesting aesthetics.

3) Mass Storage support is there. No connectivity 'software' is provided on the computer side Bluetooth file transfer for MP3s and photos just works with the 3310 recognising what the files are! Although PNG photos don't seem to be compatible so maybe JPG is favoured?

4) So any thoughts on the Calendar problem? Will I have to carry my old 3220 around me as a personal organiser until all the old appointments run out? Progress?!

Last edited by BigD on 24-Jun-2017 at 06:44 PM.

daveyw 
Posted on 26-Jun-2017 7:44:36
#8 ]

@OneTimer1

Quote:

OneTimer1 wrote:

Apple didn't invent the smartphone. They took an existing niche product and mass-marketed it. Same as the ipod, the ipad, their smart watch, and that thing they announced the other week.

The only product they genuinely made from scratch was the home computer. It's a shame people forget that these day.

BTW, importing and exporting Contacts, Mail and Calendars has nothing to do with a touch screen. I have a PDA circa 1997 that does all those things without a touch screen.

A1200T 40Mhz 68040, OS 3.9

BigD 
Posted on 26-Jun-2017 9:44:12
#9 ]
Elite Member

@daveyw

Quote:
BTW, importing and exporting Contacts, Mail and Calendars has nothing to do with a touch screen. I have a PDA circa 1997 that does all those things without a touch screen.

I couldn't quite blieve that he thought calendar functions were synonymous with touch screens and hence must have been invented by Apple! crazy I assumed he was being sarcastic. It's like the second re-write of tech history.

1) Commodore never existed, neither did Atari (Jack Tramiel version), etc only IBM and Apple!

2) Nokia, Motorola and Sony Ericsson never existed and the calendar and touch screen was not available until the iPhone in 2007!!!! Nokia represented a dark era where people still used paper diaries! :

To further demonstrate how moronically brainwashed people are to worship at the alter of Apple and the iPhone; I told my dad I'd got one of the new Nokia 3310s... "you know the relaunched version but with bluetooth and an mp3 player?"

At the end of my minute long explanation he said; "So you got a new iPhone then? So you've got WhatsApp now?"

What do we learn from this?
1) iPhone users can't envisage why anyone would buy anything else and are not quite sure there is anything else even in the past!

2) Apple use brainwashing marketing that has made the ownership of a £800+ gadget that is easily stolen or broken common place.

3) Life was simpler when computers were fun and we weren't addicted to Smart Phones!

4) I'm getting old and struggle to relate to 'Millenials' (or even my own Dad at times)

P.S. I've just managed to get charged £3 for a mobile game that is free and already installed on my 3310!! Trust me! I rang Gameloft and they will reimburse me but they couldn't give the game that I was trying to buy; Asphalt 6 because the lady thought it was uncompatible!!!!

Even though it is the most advertised game for the Nokia 3310 after Snake and is seen running on the screen shot at the top of this thread!!! Madness! I'll have to wait until 7/7/17 for a barcode by text message to take to a Post Office to get the refund!

Progress? I don't think so

Last edited by BigD on 26-Jun-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 26-Jun-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 16:33:27
#10 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

JPEG may be favoured. It was common. Unless it takes GIF. BMP?

I can't find anything to solve the calendar problem. All I could find was this:
https://nokiapoweruser.com/how-to-import-contacts-on-nokia-215-220-225-230/

Are you able to transfer between the 3220 and 3310 as an interim solution over any transport layer?

BigD 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 17:02:29
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Well isn't the fact I've managed to get the data into iCal the equivalent of using a transport layer? How do I get the Nokia 3310 to talk to iCal?

Timo 
Posted on 27-Jun-2017 20:07:33
#12 ]

@BigD

Hm, Bubble Bash 2, I was one of the programmers :) And I had to extend the level editor of the first game, it was made in Visual Basic 6 and had french variable names and comments... I have no idea about french :P

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle