Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 162 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  5 mins ago
 pixie:  24 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 DWolfman:  1 hr 13 mins ago
 cncparts:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  3 hrs 32 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 57 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 17 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  default program problem - file association problem
Register To Post

PosterThread
50mm 
default program problem - file association problem
Posted on 15-Jan-2018 14:31:47
#1 ]

Hello to all fellow amigans another problem with aos4.1 .

A few days ago I had a problem with Smtube which finaly solved by zzd10h sending me a new mplayer.
Everything was fine the smtube program was working and finnaly I am able to watch 480p videos . Another problem arised with smtube as you all know and again a new version of mplayer which anyone can download from os4depot is the sollution.

And here is my problem , after installation of the new mplayer zzd10h send me at first, all file associations is lost on my system and when I for example double click a jpeg picture the first version of mplayer (it is not anymore in my system - deleted as a new version is available) is called from workbench to display the picture which of course results with an error.

Every file association is lost in my system.

I tried everything to reistablish file associations through deficons in prefs or manually but with no luck.

please advise .

Last edited by 50mm on 15-Jan-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
broadblues 
Re: default program problem - file association problem
Posted on 15-Jan-2018 16:08:53
#2 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@50mm

Quote:

And here is my problem , after installation of the new mplayer zzd10h send me at first, all file associations is lost on my system and when I for example double click a jpeg picture the first version of mplayer (it is not anymore in my system - deleted as a new version is available) is called from workbench to display the picture which of course results with an error.

Did you actually mean "jpeg" there? I'm a bit suprised that mplayer would be called to display an jpeg, picture file at all.

Assuming you actually meant "mpeg" where mpleyer would make sense.

If the mpeg file has it's own icon, (usually looks solid in the workbench) you will need to edit it's default tool, select the icon, choose Menu->Icons->information from the workbench menu or simply press RAMIGA-I (if that's not clear in your font that was the letter 'I' for insect not 1 or l ). Choose the Icon tab and set the defauilt tool to point to the new version of mplayer. You could use appdir:mplayer to avoid this problem in future, but name of the executable varies alot between versions so this may be less helpful in this case.

If the mpeg file has no icon (looks faint in workbench). Start Deficons prefs, go to the mpeg entry in the file type listsing, slect it with the LMB and then bring up the RMB menu, choose Icon->Information, if there is a def_mpeg icon, the information window will open and you can edit the default tool as above and save.

If there is no default mpeg icon (there usually is) then you will have to create one in ENVARC:SYS first, you can di this from DefIcons by chosing Icon->Edit but that starts the IconEdit which only creates oldstyle 256 colour icons.

Quote:

Every file association is lost in my system.

Ugh, if installing mplayer messd the def_Iocns up to that degree, something is really wrong with it's installer.

I would suggest reinstanting the defaults from the installation CD

Something like

Copy CLONE AmigaOS4FE:system/prefs/env-archive/sys/#?.info to SYS:Prefs/env-archive/sys

should do it.

Please verify those paths before copying as I don;t have my disk to hand.

zzd10h 
Posted on 15-Jan-2018 16:55:17
#3 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@broadblues

MPlayer sent was just a binary, no installer.

He meant really jpeg, no mpeg. What is strange is that def_jpeg in ENV: and ENVARC: doesn't mention mplayer at all but FastView (like on my system).

Really strange.

50mm 
Posted on 15-Jan-2018 21:43:23
#4 ]

@broadblues
Thank you for your answer , I did copy clone the icons but with strange behavior as every jpeg file that has an icon is displayed correct but for files with no icon the system still calls mplayer .

As a permanent solution I overwrited prefs/envarch from the installation cd and I reinstalled ztools and the system is back to normal as it seems .

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle