Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Musashi5150

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Musashi5150:  1 min ago
 Swisso:  18 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  19 mins ago
 Hypex:  19 mins ago
 VooDoo:  36 mins ago
 agami:  36 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 ed:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 19 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  4 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  enough of the hysterics already
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
GregS 
enough of the hysterics already
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 16:05:07
#1 ]

I find it hard to believe soime of the wilder interpretations given to Garry's IRC, and some of the resultant hysterics based on bizarre misreadings of what was said.

OS4 is just around the corner, Amiga Inc if anything have made it plain that the OS has keystone importance to them, and yet some people are running around as if it has been suddenly orphened.

The A1 is there, the fact that four others are asking for licensing rights means very little, are they settopbox people, PDAs, are they just expressions of interest or from established manufacturers. Nothing has changed something would be very wrong unless someone was knocking at the door.

Hasn't anyone noticed that this is first announcement that has not been trolled to death, are the hysterics a result of expecting attacks that never came (hence attacking ourselves instead).

For those who read doom and gloom, have a cup of tea, relax and read the things again, hopefully in a shady spot with a small sweet cake on hand.

Profile     Report this post  
mlehto 
Re: enough of the hysterics already
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 16:12:37
#2 ]

@GregS

I agreed completely Future is around corner and there is no reason to make suicide before it or kill anyone else

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 16:28:45
# ]

@GregS

No offence Greg, but some of your readings have been the most bizzare yet.

Some people seem to be looking at the bad reaction and automatically assuming that it's the people reacting that are responsible for it.

Report this post  
Bobsonsirjonny 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 16:32:16
#4 ]
Elite Member

Shamless plug...

No advertising in the forums, post it in the classified section please.

Thy hysteria has got to me....

Last edited by L8-X on 21-Mar-2005 at 09:06 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 16:32:58
# ]

@GregS

Yes, absolutely every negative comment was made merely to pre-empt others possibly negative comment.

Not one ounce of thought went into any of the criticisms or interpretations that I or other people made it was merely a wild, unprovoked silly over-reaction for which we are all ashamed.

Now back to reality for a moment, I admit I have only skim read most of the comments as they are mostly repeats but from where I am standing 'wild optimism' seems just as strange as you seem to consider cynicism or mildly negative interpretations.

Putting AmigaOS4 aside for a minute, which is an excellent project worthy of all success, the AmigaDE/Anywhere and AmigaOS5 situation is what is concerning most people ( nothing wrong in looking at the future, after all they have been discussed a few times over already and its been all over the amiga.com website so why not discuss it ).

Garry would be foolish for not chosing his words carefully in public, and I think that he has been careful about what has gone up on the site and what has been put in the IRC session. I do not see that we are really in general any the wiser after the irc session ( apart from perhaps understanding its approach to the former Amiga Incs liabilities... ) than we were before it and therefore Garry did not take the opportunity to clarify.

If he didn't take the opportunity to clarify, or radically alter general perception, that must be for a purpose.

However, I refuse to speculate in public about what I think on the matter, or about what I have read between the lines - I would just caution the general public reading this to think carefully about what has been written by KMOS/Amiga Inc and Hyperion/Eyetech on the subject in public.

The trail starts here: http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1237

Dave.

Last edited by Wiffy on 21-Mar-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Last edited by Wiffy on 21-Mar-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Report this post  
JDJD 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:06:43
#6 ]

@Bobsonsirjonny

Hey I want your computer UA1.

Jose 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:08:59
#7 ]
Cult Member

@GregS

I think it's mostly to make pressure. It's not like it's the end but it doesn't seem very good. Everybody knows that AInc. doesn't have the expertize to develop the OS, Fleecy said this before and this is pretty much the same AInc as before Garry from what we see (exactly the same ideas). Since they don't have the expertize to develop the OS how are they taking development inhouse? What do they mean by no more 3rd party development? The only 3rd party development was done by Hyperion. And then all those evasives to avoid answering some questions, it seems too suspect.
All in all Garry seemed to not understand that it's on AmigaOS that the Amiga users interest lies.

Oh, and by the way, don't you think that "filtering developers" is pretty much against everything that the community of users has made to save the platform through the years? Everydoby has a pretty good idea of what is what in the OS and what it's for. We like messing around with the OS and plenty of us have learned to code. If I just wanted to run some application I 'd just use Windows.

Last edited by Jose on 21-Mar-2005 at 05:10 PM.

José

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:11:26
# ]

@Bobsonsirjonny

Get a grip man. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Report this post  
Ryu 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:13:51
#9 ]

@Bobsonsirjonny

BAH!

www.IntuitionBase.com - Your Guide to Amiga OS4.x and the AmigaOne
www.Bambi-Amiga.co.uk - My A1200 webserver, running 24/7/365

ikir 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:16:11
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

:-/

Rebel 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:18:27
#11 ]

@GregS

Quote:

GregS wrote:

I find it hard to believe soime of the wilder interpretations given to Garry's IRC, and some of the resultant hysterics based on bizarre misreadings of what was said.

OS4 is just around the corner, Amiga Inc if anything have made it plain that the OS has keystone importance to them, and yet some people are running around as if it has been suddenly orphened.

Yup agree totally. It's amazing how much fuss can be caused by announcing that nothing has changed.

Quote:

For those who read doom and gloom, have a cup of tea, relax and read the things again, hopefully in a shady spot with a small sweet cake on hand

Better make that low caffine (green) tea, and sugar free cake then

Mark 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:37:06
#12 ]
Team Member

@Jose

I would point out that the term "taking it in-house" could mea several things, including simply the fact that they will be determining the direction for the OS to be developed (ie features to be added etc) and not that they will be hiring coders (more likely to outsource it really)

Mark

BobW 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:40:01
#13 ]

@GregS

I predicted this negative reaction last week. Everyone was expecting some earth shattering announcement and when it didn't come it was a big let down. As it stands things are pretty much unchanged.

My take on the IRC chat? Garry Hare is extreamly professional. This is a breath of freash air.

What this means? No more vapor. If is doesn't have something set in stone he isn't going to talk about it. This is a good thing. No more broken promises.

Jose 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:44:38
#14 ]
Cult Member

@Mark

I hope so. I mostly just want to express my concern.
I know it's getting boring and I'll shut up but remember that when Bill was in charge there was a time when they were going to rename AmigaDE AmigaOS and stop AmigaOS development. Very clearly shows they're intentions.

José

smithy 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:53:04
#15 ]

@GregS

Did you read a different interview to the rest of us?

Your entire basis for your optimism is based on this statement:

Quote:

First of all, OS4 may well be just around the corner - that is a good thing, but look beyond tomorrow. What about OS4.x? What about OS5.0?

Next you say that Amiga Inc have the OS [you mean AmigaOS?] as keystone importance. But this is a patently false statement. There is no way you can deduce this fact from that interview.

Amiga Inc is interested in an operating system
Amiga Inc is interested in AmigaOS's name
Amiga Inc has no expertise in developing AmigaOS.
Amiga Inc is doing future versions itself.
Today's Amiga Inc is a re-incarnation of 2000's Amiga Inc with the same investors and the same people (think what their priorities were)

There is no way you can deduce from that Amiga Inc is interested in the technology that today we call AmigaOS. In fact, Garry Hare dodged at least FOUR questions that gave him the opportunity to confirm this.

Please back up your arguments.

Last edited by smithy on 21-Mar-2005 at 05:54 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:55:54
# ]

@Bobsonsirjonny

Bobson, I think you are a pratt for selling now, now is not the time to give up, expecially as you got the thing for almost nothing (a few draw tickets).

Disclaimer to moderators and Bobson, me calling Bobson a pratt is nothing that I would not say to his face in public, in fact I would probably say something stronger, but I won't say that here as this is not the place.)

Report this post  
Jose 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:58:52
#17 ]
Cult Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

I hope I haven't helped convince you to do that, cause what I intended was mostly show my concern about how things are turning in the more distant future...
That machine is great, consumes very little power and you can allways install Linux PPC on it.
I've sold a few Amiga items in the past thinking I was just throwing my time away, but it turns out that I came back.
As long as one puts priorities how they should be there's nothing wrong with it... You better cancel that auction before I win;)

I think Coder is right in that in the long term we will make something out of it... for example look at how much AA/AmigaDe programs there are, and how many there are for AmigaOS4 already. I hope I'll finish mine too. This doesn't mean that we shouldn't say anything when one sees they can screw things up..

José

cecilia 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 17:59:31
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Bobsonsirjonny

Quote:

Bobsonsirjonny wrote:
Shamless plug...

Thy hysteria has got to me....
you are only feeling this way for personal reasons (which i'm keeping to myself).
you'er just getting emotional.

calm down.

It's not the end of the world.

here's why:
Last friday a good person, a friend and a member of a local amiga group was killed by a jerk driving his car. This really sucks. This was a wonderful person who will be missed by not only his family but by those of us who so enjoyed his hospitality, his humor and his generosity.

you'll pardon me if I say that this loss is real and the IRC chat was, well, just a chat. Get some perspective, please!

I like you, bobson, but get a grip!

Last edited by cecilia on 21-Mar-2005 at 06:01 PM.

Restore2003 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 18:00:48
#19 ]

I dont understand why we need a corporate company to make us feel better anyway

Hyperion is doing a great job here on their own!

BobW 
Posted on 21-Mar-2005 18:03:39
#20 ]

@smithy

Quote:
Did you read a different interview to the rest of us?

I read the same interview and I think things are fairly positive.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle