Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  6 mins ago
 OlafS25:  37 mins ago
 edwardsjethro:  57 mins ago
 joeyunderwood:  59 mins ago
 Sikharubel:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 MagicSN:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 59 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Hatari - Atari ST/STe/TT/Falcon emulator on AmigaOS4.
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
drHirudo 
Hatari - Atari ST/STe/TT/Falcon emulator on AmigaOS4.
Posted on 1-May-2005 22:03:01
#1 ]

Hello,

I did a preliminary port of the AtariST emulator Hatari:

Hatari

Only some functions are left unported, of which I didn't manage to find Amiga equivalents (for now):

tcgetattr(); tcsetattr(); cfmakeraw(); cfsetispeed(); cfsetospeed();
and more importantly: glob(); globfree();

but the emulator is pretty usable now nevertheless. I was able to play some games and watch demos and unlike STOnAmiga, it is more focused on the hardware banging software and many of the games work perfectly (including Turrican 2) and some demos.

Because of the missing functions or something else, I wasn't able to get the file requester to work okay, so for now there is no option to select a disc image, but I made a temporary solution:

Copy your ST diskimage to RAM:hatari-0.60/ and rename it as disc.st Start the emulator; press F12; Click on Discs, Click on topright gadged - Drive A: Browse then Click Okay, then Back to main menu select Reset ST and press Okay and it will boot your disk image (if it is bootable), or load it in the first emulated drive. Sorry, about this quirk, I will work on fixing it in the next days.

Have fun. Now you can play all those crappy ST games, which were ported to the Amiga and made a bad implication about the Amiga capabilities, but also the unique Atari games, some of which are worth a look and weren't ported to the Amiga.

Some Atari Links

Last edited by drHirudo on 12-Jul-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Last edited by drHirudo on 29-Aug-2005 at 10:16 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Hatari - AtariST emulator on AmigaOS4.
Posted on 1-May-2005 22:08:46
#2 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Cool stuff

Intuitioned 
Posted on 1-May-2005 22:47:21
#3 ]

@drHirudo

Great! Fancy porting BeebEm? (Pretty please!)

*edit*

"Great!" is a bit of a understatement. If I ported something like this I would be chuffed to bits!

Last edited by Intuitioned on 01-May-2005 at 10:49 PM.

drHirudo 
Posted on 2-May-2005 3:26:52
#4 ]

@Intuitioned

The hardest work is yet to be done. I still have to port or rewrite some of the disk access, dir scan and serial port routines, which are the hardest part, but the shown speed on my µA1 encourages me. It's playable after all even at the current unoptimized, unfinished, hacked state.

drHirudo 
Posted on 29-Aug-2005 22:15:44
#5 ]

Hello,

I ported the latest Hatari version from the CVS repository - v0.71, which have incomplete, but working very well nevertheless, AtariSTE emulation, meaning that some AtariSTE only games are playable now as well. This includes titles like "Pinball Obsession", which was a hit back in 1995 on the Amiga, but the Atari version was first and in fact it's almost the same as the Amiga version, including music, sounds, graphics, intro and gameplay. I don't know of any other AtariSTE-only games currently, but will look for some others to test in the near future, I guess.

Thanks to the latest newlib, which have scandir(); and alphasort(); functions (since version 3.2), from the latest AmigaOS 4 SDK, the SDL filerequester now works and there is no more tricks needed to be able to load disk, or change the ROM image. The only left unemulated in the Amiga version is the RS232 port, since the required functions: tcgetattr(); tcsetattr(); cfmakeraw(); cfsetispeed(); cfsetospeed(); are available for AmigaOS 4 but with the clib2, which lacks the scandir(); and alphasort(); functions, so the compromise was to omit the RS232 emulation for now. Also I am not sure if the hard drive emulation is correct, since I haven't tested it, and I don't know if the glob(); and globfree(); functions, which I imported from some archive are working correctly. The were some strange happenings during the tests, like the following code compiled with newlib, making the OS freeze, when switching to fullscreen mode, while compiled with clib2 it weren't indicating any problems:

sdlVideoFlags = SDL_HWSURFACE|SDL_FULLSCREEN|SDL_HWPALETTE/*|SDL_DOUBLEBUF*/;
sdlscrn = SDL_SetVideoMode(Width, Height, BitCount, sdlVideoFlags);

Omitting the SDL_HWSURFACE flag solved the problem with the newlib.

The speed of the emulated machine is acceptable, especially in fullscreen mode, where there is no unplayable game on my µA1-C 750GX/800 MHz, only some sound glitches appear from time to time, if there is a big resource taking event happening on the Atari, this mostly includes some more complex games, like Turrican 2. The compilation is done with -O3 compiler optimization option and -funroll-loops switch, but I might test if it could be faster with -O2 or without unrolling the loops for example.

There is an opensourced TOS ROM image included (absolutely legal) in the emulator archive, so there is no need to search for the original Atari's TOS ROMs image files, although having them is a plus, since many of the Atari ST games refuse to work with the free ROMs (I have several of them) - direct jumps in ROM address spaces I suspect, but it can be other reasons, but still one can test the OS and try some freeware programs downloaded from the internet.

Enjoy.

Anonymous 
Posted on 29-Aug-2005 22:21:32
# ]

@drHirudo

Great stuff! Keep it up!

Report this post  
Toaks 
Posted on 29-Aug-2005 23:05:03
#7 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

exellent , is it on os4depot ? :_)

btw i am going to bourgas and varna in the end of this month.... planning on going there aswell or? (since sofia is in the same country...)

cheers

Last edited by Toaks on 29-Aug-2005 at 11:06 PM.

Tesla 
Posted on 29-Aug-2005 23:09:14
#8 ]

@drHirudo

Quote:
by drHirudo on 2-May-2005 0:03:01
Only some functions are left unported, of which I didn't manage to find Amiga equivalents (for now):

tcgetattr() etc. are part of the latest clib2, but unfortunately I have only only implemented
the console related functionality. If this is enough, then that part should already be taken
care of.

Yours,

-Tesla aka. Archprogrammer

drHirudo 
Posted on 30-Aug-2005 4:36:34
#9 ]

@Toaks

I am uploading it now. I was too sleepy yesterday, to upload it.

Varna and Bourgas are around 500 km from here and I have to work for a living so I can't go there currently. :(

Do you know of any STE only titles for the Atari?

I think the STE equals to the Amiga 500 in Atari terms - 4096 colors (although only 16 at time without tricks), hardware scrolling, hardware blitter.

olsen 
Posted on 30-Aug-2005 7:37:29
#10 ]
Cult Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

tcgetattr(); tcsetattr(); cfmakeraw(); cfsetispeed(); cfsetospeed(); all deal with the POSIX termcap functionality and are probably used for the serial port access (which is lumped together with terminal I/O for historic reasons). It probably does not make great sense to try and port these, owing to the fact that you can have multiple serial interfaces configured on the Amiga and there is no general API to find out which one should be used (hm... something that should have been addressed years ago; I must make a note of that). You are probably better off rewriting the code to be more Amiga specific, allowing the user to choose a device driver.

glob(); globfree(); are POSIX wildcard expansion functions, which are typically used by a shell to turn wildcard patterns in a command line into a table of matching file names. It's a bit odd to see this used in an application. I would have expected fnmatch(), or something like that. Question is what it is used for.

kornilios 
Posted on 30-Aug-2005 7:50:47
#11 ]

@drHirudo

nice..!

Stephen_Robinson 
Posted on 30-Aug-2005 8:41:38
#12 ]

But it's an ST!! It's Evil!!

Hawh, only joking, I'll give that a whirl, That Tos(!)/Gem isn't much of a OS is it? Still it's the games that count, shame about the lack of a joystick port on the A1.

Toaks 
Posted on 30-Aug-2005 9:29:24
#13 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Stardust (Super stardust clone) i belive.

anyway i cant boot my floppys for stardust...says its image is broken....

is the atari rom called tos.img ?

(i found that if you turn off scaling (zoom in menu (f12) the speed up is quite good)

shame that its 500km from sofia to varna,would have been cool to meet up eh

drHirudo 
Posted on 30-Aug-2005 16:01:33
#14 ]

@olsen
Quote:
tcgetattr(); tcsetattr(); cfmakeraw(); cfsetispeed(); cfsetospeed(); all deal with the POSIX termcap functionality and are probably used for the serial port access (which is lumped together with terminal I/O for historic reasons). It probably does not make great sense to try and port these, owing to the fact that you can have multiple serial interfaces configured on the Amiga and there is no general API to find out which one should be used (hm... something that should have been addressed years ago; I must make a note of that).

Does this mean that these functions available with clib2 under libunix.a (termios_#?) are not working at all?
Quote:
You are probably better off rewriting the code to be more Amiga specific, allowing the user to choose a device driver.

I will try.
Quote:
glob(); globfree(); are POSIX wildcard expansion functions, which are typically used by a shell to turn wildcard patterns in a command line into a table of matching file names. It's a bit odd to see this used in an application. I would have expected fnmatch(), or something like that. Question is what it is used for.

They are used in the gemdos.c file for the handling of the harddrive.

drHirudo 
Posted on 30-Aug-2005 16:14:19
#15 ]

@Toaks

Quote:
Stardust (Super stardust clone) i belive.

I will try to find it. Thanks.

Quote:
is the atari rom called tos.img ?

Yes, you can choose other files from the menus though, but the default is tos.img. There is emutos 0.8 included in the archive, which is opensourced implementation, but most of the old games I tried, didn't worked with it, so you'd better find a real Atari with TOS 2.06 and dump the ROM to 720KB PC floppy disk, then read it on PC or Amiga with PC0: mounted.

I used to have Atari MegaSTE for some time, with 20MB HD, original monitor and PCEmulator card.

Quote:
(i found that if you turn off scaling (zoom in menu (f12) the speed up is quite good)

You can edit this setting in the hatari.cfg (among other options) file by changing the ChosenDisplayMode to 3. It used to save the settings but after the latest compile, it refused for some reason, else it's possible to save the settings and don't edit the configuration file.

olsen 
Posted on 30-Aug-2005 20:49:31
#16 ]
Cult Member

@drHirudo

Quote:

drHirudo wrote:
@olsen
Quote:
tcgetattr(); tcsetattr(); cfmakeraw(); cfsetispeed(); cfsetospeed(); all deal with the POSIX termcap functionality and are probably used for the serial port access (which is lumped together with terminal I/O for historic reasons). It probably does not make great sense to try and port these, owing to the fact that you can have multiple serial interfaces configured on the Amiga and there is no general API to find out which one should be used (hm... something that should have been addressed years ago; I must make a note of that).

Does this mean that these functions available with clib2 under libunix.a (termios_#?) are not working at all?

No, it means something else. As I wrote, the terminal access is lumped together with serial line I/O in the POSIX API. The clib2 code contributed by Peter Bengtsson focuses on the terminal access. Other than with serial line I/O, every shell program usually has a console attached which can be used with the terminal access. The serial line I/O is, as I wrote, something altogether different, and we even lack a framework on the Amiga to identify which serial port should be used.

Quote:

Quote:
You are probably better off rewriting the code to be more Amiga specific, allowing the user to choose a device driver.

I will try.
Quote:

They are used in the gemdos.c file for the handling of the harddrive.

Strange stuff...

Rudei 
Posted on 30-Aug-2005 20:52:11
#17 ]
Elite Member

Is Hatari the Ali G pronounciation of Atari?

drHirudo 
Posted on 18-Feb-2006 21:46:56
#18 ]

Version 0.82 is available from OS4Depot.net and soon Aminet. It's not an official stable release, but it have many new features, and I didn't find any major quirks for now (except for the redraw annoyance in the GUI when selecting files). I linked it with the latest official AmigaOS 4 SDL v.1.2.9-20060210 libs and it now works better, faster and most importantly, the CPUMeters are accurate now. I suggest every SDL author/porter to recompile his code with the library, since it have many benefits already - SDL_HWSURFACE doesn't crash the machine anymore, and it recognises the mousewheel.

Improvements in the emulator core include better STE blitter emulation, which means that the PeaceMaker demo works almost 100% correctly now (except for the last part), MouseWheel support in the Atari software, by simulating pressing the up and down Atari buttons and more.

drHirudo 
Posted on 18-Oct-2009 17:48:39
#19 ]

I have compiled version 1.3.1 for AmigaOS 4 and it works very well. The Falcon/DSP emulation is improved and soon it will be usable for Falcon emulation as well. The ST and STe emulation seem faster and better to me now and it is even more enjoyable to play the games under the emulator.

Regards

drHirudo 
Posted on 11-Jul-2010 18:29:22
#20 ]

@drHirudo

I compiled Hatari version 1.4.0. The ST part works very well, using only a tiny bit of the CPU resources, judging by the CPU meter docky.

Since this version, the Falcon emulation starts to work very good. I was able to run some Atari Falcon games with music. I must say that I am quite impressed by the Falcon capabilities, especially the sound (16 bit DSP). The DSP chip is used in some Falcon demos as well for 3D rendering. Unfortunately the current Amiga hardware is too slow to fully emulate the Atari Falcon without any frameskip. For ST/STe/TT games even a low end Sam will work good.

As the emulator gets better and better and some games are more playable on the Atari than on the Amiga, probably a integration utility like RunInUAE/glUAE will be very handy. I played for some hours the Atari ST Moon Patrol, which is almost perfect coin-op conversion. Would love to run such games with a double-click on their icon.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle