Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
38 crawler(s) on-line.
 60 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

ppcamiga1

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ppcamiga1:  58 secs ago
 kriz:  5 mins ago
 pixie:  14 mins ago
 Hypex:  33 mins ago
 cdimauro:  36 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 JimS:  4 hrs 55 mins ago
 Hans:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 46 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Australian sentenced to 20 years in prison!!!
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
cell 
Australian sentenced to 20 years in prison!!!
Posted on 27-May-2005 20:24:07
#1 ]

Crap,

That must be a really bad place to be stuck in -- An Indonesion prison. I've seen an Indian
prison once, and damn man, it's worse than hell. What do you Aussies out there think -- has
she been screwed out of justice? BTW why do you guys like going to Bali -- seems like a pretty dangerous place to visit (and I've lived 10 years in Africa!!!)

Profile     Report this post  
nicholas 
Re: Australian sentenced to 20 years in prison!!!
Posted on 27-May-2005 20:27:48
#2 ]

@cell

Quote:
BTW why do you guys like going to Bali

It's a great place to sell weed!

MetalJoe 
Posted on 27-May-2005 21:13:43
#3 ]

@cell

Is this er... Chapelle Corby? (sp?). I remember her being on the news when I was over there recently. There was mention of evidence that disappeared which would've proved her innocence and shown that her boogie board was replaced with the drugs en route to Bali. Sucks big time Little comfort, but at least she was spared the death sentence.

nicholas 
Posted on 27-May-2005 21:21:20
#4 ]

@MetalJoe

Quote:

MetalJoe wrote:
@cell

Is this er... Chapelle Corby? (sp?). I remember her being on the news when I was over there recently. There was mention of evidence that disappeared which would've proved her innocence and shown that her boogie board was replaced with the drugs en route to Bali. Sucks big time Little comfort, but at least she was spared the death sentence.

This affirms my policy of never going to a third world country if at all possible.

That includes some European countries too. Greece and it's islands are included as a third world country to me, as anywhere that has such a bad plumbing system that you can't wipe your arse and flush the paper is just not up to my high standards of home comfort.

-edit

Oh, and anywhere that you can't drink the water directly from the tap is on my list of third world places too!

Last edited by nicholas on 27-May-2005 at 09:23 PM.

nadoom 
Posted on 27-May-2005 21:37:47
#5 ]

@nicholas

well as she is australian that obviously means she is innocent!! ;)

cell 
Posted on 27-May-2005 23:06:07
#6 ]

@nicholas

Yup, it's Corby. Toilets that don't work suck though -- biggest reason I don't like travelling. But I would rather be dead that stuck in prison for 2 decades.

tomazkid 
Posted on 28-May-2005 10:40:17
#7 ]
Team Member

So the question is, was the dope planted on her?
Or is it like in the movie Midnight Express?

The_Bunyip 
Posted on 28-May-2005 12:07:24
#8 ]

@cell

So you would rather be dead and have no chance of a reprieve ?

It's more than likely that after about 6 months, when all the heat has died down that she will be released into Australian custody.

It's all for show !!

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-May-2005 12:24:16
# ]

Hi cell,

Is it for a bit of pot? I don't know the specifics, but there seems to be some controversy there.

Perhaps the government will save some money as they may not need the "Government Ministry for Tourism", anymore, soon.

Report this post  
cell 
Posted on 28-May-2005 17:32:33
#10 ]

@The_Bunyip

So you think they're going to just let her go? And if she does go, will she serve out her sentence in Australia? Her sister was extremely upset yesterday -- is that also an act?
I suppose it's plausible since the Indonesian economy is so sh** that it depends on tourism from Australia to survive.

@atheist

Yup it was for pot, but they say it was planted on her. Whoever smuggles pot into a muslim country is just asking for it -- in Saudi Arabia, they chop your head off.

Coder 
Posted on 28-May-2005 19:51:52
#11 ]
Team Member

@nicholas

Quote:
Oh, and anywhere that you can't drink the water directly from the tap is on my list of third world places too!

Put Thailand on your list. Sometimes I hope it is chocolate milk coming out of the tap but nah it's not. But hey it's not hell or something.

Coder

IonMane 
Posted on 29-May-2005 17:05:22
#12 ]
Cult Member

There is some controversy.Brisbane did not wiegh the bag as they wetre supposed to, the bag was not fingerprinted denying the possibility of being able to prove she did not put it there, all witness testimonies for her were completely discounted, not to mention the fact that the drugs were worth a considerable amount less in bali that Australia.I also find it strange she could not say WHO packed the boogie board bag to begin with.I also find it odd that she would not notice the rather large extra bulge in the bag, not to mention the extra 5 kilos of wieght in a bag which could not of been carrying that more than 4kg to begin with.

However, as I understand it, as it was her bag she was responsible for the security and the contents.In the absence of any proof to the contrary she is therefore responsible the importing the illit drugs.I am undecided if I think she is guilty or not, I am annoyed by the denial of the resources and capability to do certain things that may have proved her innocence(such as having the bag and the cannibis bag tested for fingerprints).I find that unjust.....yet it was never mentioned by her lawyers in her defense or her letter pleading for justice, which I find odd.

All that said and done, I must wonder what the public reaction would have been if it had been a 6'2" male bikie looking guy, complete with goatee straggly hair and chain draped leather jackets to match.Would the public have been anywhere near as supportive? I doubt it.

Was it a setup by the govt of indonesia, a plant by traffickers or was she actually smuggling drugs in we will likely never know.On available evidence and my understanding of thier laws(which is far from perfect) I agree she is guilty, HOWEVER I suspect the real story is in fact a govt setup so they can bee seen to be doing thier job and be seen to being tough etc.

The_Editor 
Posted on 29-May-2005 18:04:39
#13 ]
Elite Member

@IonMane

Which is my take on it as well.

I agree with my Bro, The Indo Government makes it look like it is being hard on traffickers and getting results. I think this will blow over in six months too. Aussie diplomats finding a barter point, so to speak !!

Zardoz 
Posted on 29-May-2005 19:06:49
#14 ]
Team Member

@nicholas

I have been flushing paper down the toilet for my entire life and to tell you the truth I've had more problems with the toilet bowl here in the UK... Tap water isn't drinkable in Rome, for people that haven't lived there (it gets you a nice, wet... eh, forget it. Happened to me... ), does this qualify as a third world place?

nicholas 
Posted on 29-May-2005 21:23:38
#15 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@nicholas

I have been flushing paper down the toilet for my entire life and to tell you the truth I've had more problems with the toilet bowl here in the UK... Tap water isn't drinkable in Rome, for people that haven't lived there (it gets you a nice, wet... eh, forget it. Happened to me... ), does this qualify as a third world place?

How come when i went on holiday to Cyprus they had a bin next to the bog to put the paper in? And in Rhodes, and in Kos too? Is it just the hotels for tourists with crap plumbing then?

As for Rome, aye, bloody third world sh!t hole too if you can't drink the tap water!

Zardoz 
Posted on 29-May-2005 21:51:32
#16 ]
Team Member

@nicholas

Ehm, the bins next to the toilet have been in every single place in Europe I've been to so far, including university accomodation in Nottingham and (according to my sister) Essex and Edinburgh's Heriot-Watt uni and several English houses I've been to. Throwing paper in the bin is always encouraged but it's not as if you actually have to do it, I never, ever, did!

About Rome, it's not that the tap water is contaminated or anything, it just has a different composition. Actually, drinking tap water anywhere in the world while on a holiday is quite a risk for your bowels, it takes a while for your body to get used to it. It's very likely that some people will find that the English water causes the same to them, probably (although I never had any problems with it).

nicholas 
Posted on 30-May-2005 11:28:32
#17 ]

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@nicholas

Ehm, the bins next to the toilet have been in every single place in Europe I've been to so far, including university accomodation in Nottingham and (according to my sister) Essex and Edinburgh's Heriot-Watt uni and several English houses I've been to. Throwing paper in the bin is always encouraged but it's not as if you actually have to do it, I never, ever, did!

About Rome, it's not that the tap water is contaminated or anything, it just has a different composition. Actually, drinking tap water anywhere in the world while on a holiday is quite a risk for your bowels, it takes a while for your body to get used to it. It's very likely that some people will find that the English water causes the same to them, probably (although I never had any problems with it).

smal and
Even in the gents?!?!?!? I know they have those bins in the ladies over here, but they are for tampons and sanitary towels!

The tapwater in some towns in the UK is abysmal and is only marginally better than the water in Spain.

mwoof 
Posted on 30-May-2005 12:43:22
#18 ]

The "third world" countries is a result of the "civilisation" that the "first world" left behind. You, who complain about the "third world" countries, give a good reason why those countries should have comforts, if the greedy policies of the "first world" countries have been leeching their resources for a few centuries now. Take that into consideration when it comes to the arrest of the Aussie; I wouldn't be surprised if this person was framed by her own people!!

AmigaOne G3-SE, OS4 Final (July 2007 update), Debian Sarge, 512 MB RAM, 20 + 80 GB hard disks, NEC 3540 DVD writer, LG DVD reader, Radeon 9250, SB Live, Intracom Netfaster router, PCI USB card (NEC - OHCI/EHCI)

nicholas 
Posted on 30-May-2005 13:06:25
#19 ]

@mwoof

Quote:

mwoof wrote:
The "third world" countries is a result of the "civilisation" that the "first world" left behind. You, who complain about the "third world" countries, give a good reason why those countries should have comforts, if the greedy policies of the "first world" countries have been leeching their resources for a few centuries now. Take that into consideration when it comes to the arrest of the Aussie; I wouldn't be surprised if this person was framed by her own people!!

My use of the phrase "Third World Country" was a tongue in cheek dig at the hygiene (or lack of) and the plumbing (or lack of) in so-called civilised EU countries such as Greece, Spain and Italy (to name but a few), in comparison to the home comforts I am used to in the UK.

Anyway, "Third World Country" is so last century, it's "Developing Nation" now don't you know!

Zardoz 
Posted on 30-May-2005 19:52:25
#20 ]
Team Member

@nicholas

I would call Greece a third-world country for many reasons but none of which is one you mentioned... Low wages vs very high prices even for clothing and food, incredibly high taxes, a virtual monopoly in the landline communication market (which means that internet prices are *high*), ridiculously bad motorways (and drivers ), ####ty educational system,
many people in villages living 50 years back in time (brainwise), terrible unemployment (reaching 25% of young people in the city I used to live in), mass illegal (and legal) immigration and the crime it causes to the big cities, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera... Oh, not to forget the fact that your own fellow citizens will do their best to drag you back in the #### if you manage to do something good, instead of actually helping their fellows... There's an old joke about this, something like: There are two neighbours. One found a goat and is happy, blah blah blah. A ginie visits his neighbour and sees that he's full of loath that something that good happened to his neighbour (remember, it's a *very old* joke) and tells him that it will fullfill his one wish. And the neighbour says: "I wish that my neighbour's goat will drop dead!"...
It's out of date but the analogy is still there. So... You see, the third world aspects about Greece, all concern people that live their lives there. For holidays and stuff, it's absolutely great (mainly due to the endless supply of bars... ) and there certainly isn't a problem with hygiene or plumbing in Greece, and that's absolutely certain... Unless, of course, if you go to the cheapest hotel available...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle