Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 154 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  DiscreetFX,  matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  1 min ago
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 mins ago
 pixie:  24 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 58 mins ago
 Swisso:  3 hrs 2 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Epistula Instant Messenger Update (Update: Eyetech responds)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmiDelf2 
Re: Epistula Instant Messenger Update
Posted on 10-Aug-2005 23:41:20
#41 ]

@ironfist

I was promised one. It was sort of an agreement.

Profile     Report this post  
T_Bone 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 0:09:59
#42 ]
Elite Member

Hear from Eyetech yet? I imagine this thread should generate some kind of response.

tomazkid 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 3:46:22
#43 ]
Team Member

@AmiDelf2

Quote:
I was promised AmigaOS4 from Hyperion and a Pegasos motherboard from Genesi. But nothing happends, or their words is full of nonesense.

Regarding OS4, it is not done yet.
So a bit early to call Hyperion's promise for nonsence.

@Slash

Too bad to hear...

stevieu 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 5:32:41
#44 ]
Cult Member

@T_Bone

Or not...

A1200 - OS3.1: Blizzard IV 030, 64mb ram, 400mb HDD

OS4.x - Flying the AMIGA flag

PulsatingQuasar 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 7:58:29
#45 ]
Cult Member

The unavailibilty of new hardware and the flat out crap response in warranty is beginning to hurt OS 4. Skilled people are leaving and users with money in their pockets are simply reinvesting their money elsewhere.

Can't Amiga Inc. do something about this? They handed out a license to Eyetech with probably some contractual obligations to adhere. Like handling warranty correctly.

I can remember that a few years ago it was said that warranty would never become a problem again for Amiga users as with Phase 5 and DCE but yet here we are.

Metalheart 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 9:36:12
#46 ]
Elite Member

@all

For some reason I get the feeling that Eyetech doesn't realy care anymore....

Sure if they get enough orders to start a new batch, they'll let them be produced but unless the orders come in BIG quantities it's not likely they'll do anything else like getting new designed boards out the door.
And it seems that they don't think that loosing a few customers through bad 'customer care' can hurt them, 'cause the revenues are already very low.

And about Amiga Inc stating that ANY hardware developers would be tested at several points, including warranty handling and product quality ? If the hardware company would NOT meet these requirement, they would NOT get an A1 license !
Then to think Amiga Inc turned down SEVERAL good (well we can't realy know that for sure...) new hardware companies.....

Anyway, this sucks... Agian....

Cheers

Martin

ps, maybe it would be fair to also state when someone had a good experience with eyetech ?

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Ryu 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 10:16:51
#47 ]

@Metalheart

I've always had a good experience with Eyetech, I visited them a few times a couple of years ago with my A1200 when the PPC was playing up and the customer care was excellent.

I fear the resaon things are as they are currently isnt down to Eyetech not caring, but rather they cant do anything. Out of money and woefully understaffed... I'd be suprised if anyone other than Alan works for Eyetech anymore.

Personally I think slash's dealer, whomever they are should be sending his microA1 off to the repair centre in france to be fixed rather than waisting time trying to get eyetech to respond, I belive the responsability of a warranty falls on the dealers shoulders so its upto them to sort it out.

www.IntuitionBase.com - Your Guide to Amiga OS4.x and the AmigaOne
www.Bambi-Amiga.co.uk - My A1200 webserver, running 24/7/365

xeron 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 10:20:11
#48 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@Ryu

The thing is, if I was reselling Toshiba laptops, for example, if a customer had a broken one it'd probably be fixed under on-site warrantee. At the very least i'd replace it and send the broken one back to Toshiba.

The dealers hands are tied because of Eyetechs inability to cope with warrantee repairs or replacement. I think Eyetech should take the broken board and send out one from the "new" batch...

T_Bone 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 10:32:01
#49 ]
Elite Member

@Metalheart

Quote:

And about Amiga Inc stating that ANY hardware developers would be tested at several points, including warranty handling and product quality ? If the hardware company would NOT meet these requirement, they would NOT get an A1 license !
Then to think Amiga Inc turned down SEVERAL good (well we can't realy know that for sure...) new hardware companies.....

As far as I can tell, NOTHING "the license" was design to accomplish has been followed through on.

> April 12th, 2002
>
> Greetings to the Amiga community,
> A week ago we shared with you our joy as we move towards the rebirth of the Amiga
> desktop platform. The AmigaOne and AmigaOS4 are projects that have occupied
> almost every day of our lives for the last two years. For the community, the wait and
> the false dawns have been unbearable.

Always hated the way they blew smoke up your butt.

> Contrary to the rumours spread in some circles, we have spent considerable time and
> resources in creating a strategy that will see the Amiga desktop platform move back
> into the mainstream and take its proper place in the market. The AmigaOne and
> AmigaOS4 are just the first and most visible signs of this strategy. It is very important
> to us that we provide a total and compelling Amiga experience to future customers.

So what are ya gonna do?

> The first measure we are announcing is that we have pledged ourselves to the
> production and development of a platform where both users and developers are
> guaranteed not just a quality product but a total quality experience as well. This will be
> achieved through a combination of a strict set of Quality Assurance certifications and
> the AmigaOS only being available to licensed solution providers for the shipping of
> combined hardware and software solutions.

Let's see

> From the top of the company to the bottom, we are committed to championing the
> cause of quality for the consumer and will ensure that substandard products do not
> make it into the Amiga market where they can do irreparable damage to the reputation
> of the platform.

Nope.

> Licencees will have to develop and resource a full customer solution, with guarantees
> on product quality, delivery, and most important of all post sales support, with firm
> commitments to repair, replacement and turnaround, elements that have blighted the
> platform over the last five years.

Nope.

> In addition, the close co-operation between Amiga Inc and solution licencees will ensure
> the tightest binding of the software to the hardware, providing the highest possible
> performance and providing the basis for rapid development as we move forwards
> together.

> As a result, AmigaOS4 and all future versions will ship only on those hardware products
> to which Amiga Inc has specifically granted a license after reviewing the capabilities of
> both the solution provider and their product. The only exclusion to this policy is a
> temporary measure to support the community members who have invested heavily in
> existing PPC accelerators and will cover products where an Amiga manufactured or
> licenced Kickstart ROM is present (for instance A1200/A3000/A4000).

> Currently this hardware comprises:

> * Eyetech's AmigaOne series of PPC motherboards
> * Cyberstorm-PPC accelerators by phase 5/DCE
> * Blizzard-PPC accelerators by phase5/DCE

> We have also been approached by and are currently in negotiation with the following
> companies for the licencing of the AmigaOS to allow for a combined hardware and
> software solution:

> * The Shark card by Elbox
> * PPC accelerator cards for the Prometheus by Matay
> * Merlancia Industries MMC Toro Series

heh, nope.

> In the case of newly available hardware, including the Eyetech, Elbox and Matay
> products above, the licence requires that OS4-specific extensions are included in the
> hardware's boot ROM as an anti-piracy measure.

Nope.

> For hardware which is not capable of being used in conjunction with Amiga WB 3.1
> (such as the AmigaOne) we will require, as part of the licence conditions, that a copy of
> Amiga OS is purchased with all boards sold that are capable of running it.

> The measures identified above have been put into place after consultation with our
> partners, developers, dealers and users, and represents a recognition that if the Amiga
> platform is to become successful again, it needs to exude professionalism and
> responsibility where the needs of the customer are paramount. With these measures,
> AmigaOS4 and the new hardware solutions, the Amiga desktop platform is primed to
> move forwards.

> Bill McEwen
> CEO
> Amiga Inc
> Snoqualmie, WA

The only parts of the license that have been kept are the bad parts, not a single one of the good things this license was supposed to ensure has happened, or even been enforced.

It's a shame Hyperion still have to abide by this license, when both Eyetech and Amiga Inc have completely and surely blown it off.

T_Bone 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 10:36:06
#50 ]
Elite Member

@Ryu
Quote:

I belive the responsability of a warranty falls on the dealers shoulders so its upto them to sort it out.

According to "the license" it's the licensee's responsibility, that was one of the given reasons for the supposed necessity of the license in the first place. Both Amiga inc and Eyetech have bailed out on the license terms.

Last edited by T_Bone on 11-Aug-2005 at 10:38 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 11:04:12
#51 ]
Elite Member

Sh*t, I didn't realise it had gotten this bad. If Hyperion don't reveal their backup plan VERY soon, they may not have a market left to release OS4 to.

moood 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 11:08:59
#52 ]

@T_Bone

I'm pretty sure customer laws stands above any sort of license between two companies. A dealer sure can blame Eyetech but they still have to fix the customers problems or give them their money back.

Metalheart 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 11:11:51
#53 ]
Elite Member

@Ryu

Thanks for you positive reply Thats what I meant !

You might be right about the 'not caring part' but why don't they reply to e-mails and stuff ?

EDIT: -speculating-

Could it be possible for Hyperion to cancel the contract they have with AInc, and continue on their own so they can port OS4 to whatever they want ?
I know it's a contract and I'm be no means anywhere near a lawyer but could they raise some (well maybe A LOT) money and buy themselfs out of it ?
Maybe some hardware developers (who where/are left out right now 'cause of the freaking licencing scheme) could and want to have a OS4 related product out, and want to do a part of the financing to get OS4 set to freedom Freed from AIncs opression And free to run on whatever it wants on

Martin

Last edited by Metalheart on 11-Aug-2005 at 11:25 AM.

That as soon as you're born you're dying

T_Bone 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 11:18:38
#54 ]
Elite Member

@moood

Quote:

moood wrote:
@T_Bone

I'm pretty sure customer laws stands above any sort of license between two companies. A dealer sure can blame Eyetech but they still have to fix the customers problems or give them their money back.

Of course you can kiss the dealers goodbye then. What dealer wants to be a part of that and become a fall guy for the manufacturer who claimed this license proved this wouldn't happen in the first place? Not to mention what new hardware company is going to take this license seriously when nobody else has even honored it? (hardware wise)

Anyways, that would involve users taking dealers to court, which would probably be followed by dealers taking Eyetech to court... followed by depression all around.

T_Bone 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 11:24:26
#55 ]
Elite Member

@Slash

Quote:

Slash wrote:

Please find an update on the status of Epistula here: Epistula Final Update

Adios!

You've been offered a loan of a Pegasos on Moobunny.

http://www.flyingmice.com/cgi-bin/squidcgi/mbthread.pl/amiga/expand/118934

KimmoK 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 11:24:27
#56 ]
Elite Member

"total quality experience"

Indeed.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

moood 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 11:39:52
#57 ]

@T_Bone

Quote:
T_Bone wrote:
@moood

Of course you can kiss the dealers goodbye then. What dealer wants to be a part of that and become a fall guy for the manufacturer who claimed this license proved this wouldn't happen in the first place? Not to mention what new hardware company is going to take this license seriously when nobody else has even honored it? (hardware wise)

Anyways, that would involve users taking dealers to court, which would probably be followed by dealers taking Eyetech to court... followed by depression all around.

All I said is that customers laws stands above any license agreement. I'm not excusing Eyetechs behevior. But if a dealer cant get help from Eyetech they have to fix the problem on their own. I'm pretty sure customers laws works like this in all EU countries.

T_Bone 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 12:06:04
#58 ]
Elite Member

@moood

Quote:

All I said is that customers laws stands above any license agreement. I'm not excusing Eyetechs behevior. But if a dealer cant get help from Eyetech they have to fix the problem on their own. I'm pretty sure customers laws works like this in all EU countries.

I know, I wasn't arguing with you, just lamenting on the depressing road that would lead down, the dealers are already picking up alot of the slack from Eyetech, even developing hardware fixes in the face of Eyetechs public nonsupport of said fixes. The dealers have an incredible burdon and have already done an impressive job in spite of the situation presented to them. I'd hate to see them get stuck making refunds for boards they can't contact Eyetech to get parts for. It would be a crying shame to see these people get stuck with the buck.

Eyetech 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 12:14:39
#59 ]

@Slash

Your posting has been pointed out to me, and I clearly need to respond as you have been rather economical with the truth.

You emailed us initially on 7th June and we replied on 9th June, giving you the return procedures and copying our response to your (European) dealer. You replied on 17th June thanking us for our prompt reply.

The instructions in our 9th June reply were clear: you were to return the board to the main dealer you purchased it from for initial checking (as is part of their main dealer obligations) and if they could not get it going they were to send it to our European repair centre.

We pointed out that as both your dealer and we were (and still are) out of stock of replacement products your dealer would not be able to simply swap out the board (as would have been normal practice had te board been found to be defective) until new stocks were received.

As it is you have apparently not returned your board to your dealer, and simply stuck it in your garage. That is of course your prerogative, but it is no reason to publish untrue and potentially libellous information about us here or elsewhere.

I am sorry you have had problems with your board and decided to leave the Amiga scene, but that is no excuse for posting misleading information.

Alan

MikeB 
Posted on 11-Aug-2005 12:51:48
#60 ]
Elite Member

@Eyetech

Sounds like the most reasonable approach to me. I hope Slash follows-up on your instructions.

I am glad to see that you were quick to repsond to my email request as well.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle