Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ppcamiga1:  5 mins ago
 VooDoo:  13 mins ago
 OlafS25:  23 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  31 mins ago
 pixie:  37 mins ago
 kolla:  53 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  3 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Development
      /  Team needed to 'duplicate' a game
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
FuZion 
Team needed to 'duplicate' a game
Posted on 3-Sep-2005 23:34:35
#1 ]

Hi all,

I've spoke to the odd person here & there in the past about getting a game in the go but it's never really amounted to anything. So here goes again.

(Toaks, I do believe you have a 'gaming' like team about ).

The situation is; there was once a game (Exact details later) that appeared on the Sega Saturn. It's basically a Worms like game, only MUCH more fun (I need you to trust me on this).

Now, if I may be so bold, I would like to get a small team together that could replicate this game exactly as it appears on the Saturn. Sadly I am not a programmer but what I have done is sit with this game & take down every scrap of info I can work out including how they might work etc...

I've waited & waited & waited for someone, anyone to come up with something as good but it just has not happened. 'Worms' like games have come out, they've been elaborated on & so on but they just pail in comparison to this one.

Now when I say exactly, it'd be nice to have an online game option & online scores that weren't in the original, but that's all. A suppose a "Version 2" could be used to elaborate & change the game, but "Version 1" really does need to capture the original game.

Wha...? Why are you looking at me like that?

I know this sounds like a crazy request but as before, I need some trust on this one.

Here's a little info to give a basic run down of the GFX & SFX. Gameplay would be covered within the team.

The GFX will need to be vectors or 3D (On a flat plane: X & Y), some texturing, the usual random generated landscapes, no scrolling required (Single screen landscapes). A POSSIBLE option for the GFX could be the use of the AntiGrain Geometry system (I love this thing SSolie) since it draws clean lines & can use vector like drawing. The only possible concern may be the speed that it draws everything that's going on. There's also a smoke 'layer' to deal with.
SFX: No in game music is there but of course, in game sounds are present.

I'm aware that we have programers that are already involved in projects but does anyone think they could be up to the task?

FuZion.

Profile     Report this post  
pteppic 
Re: Team needed to 'duplicate' a game
Posted on 4-Sep-2005 0:10:01
#2 ]

@FuZion

What about copyright?

If you just want to play the game on your amiga how about emulation, don't know if there are any Saturn emulators around that could be ported?

Toaks 
Posted on 4-Sep-2005 0:21:22
#3 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

too busy here mate (yep , still) ..

zephar 
Posted on 4-Sep-2005 4:33:00
#4 ]

@FuZion
just use a game emulator im sure there is one out. I knwo for a fact there is one on amiga 68k and morphos.

FuZion 
Posted on 4-Sep-2005 10:47:08
#5 ]

@pteppic & zephar

The game would of course have to be "Based on" the original. I don't know of a Saturn emulator for the Amiga as yet.

I have a Saturn right here & occasionally play it but that's not the point

@Toaks

Ok, no probs. Remember me though will you.

@Everyone that's planning to attend BB3

I am considering bringing my Saturn to BB3 with my 6 joypads to show you what I'm talking about. It should whet the appetite of any potentials out there.

I forgot to mention before, the gfx are as good as done bar the vector/3D objects but they're pretty basic shapes. I could sort those in an afternoon.

FuZion.

elwood 
Posted on 4-Sep-2005 14:36:09
#6 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

Why do you hide the name of the game? and what about some screenshots too?

Amiga Translator Organisation

FuZion 
Posted on 4-Sep-2005 23:08:18
#7 ]

@elwood

I could do that yeah, but here's a couple of small reasons why I'm holding back:

- I doubt anyone would say yes if they saw it. It's a gameplay thing
- The other reason... Is hard to explain

I'm mainly interested in finding out if anyone has any resourses available to start with, then go from there. I could blab on & on & on about the game & have no one come forward.

The ideal situation would be someone/or a few people that came forward, was interested, we spoke, met up, ran through the design started building then announced when it felt ready. That way, if it was delayed people wouldn't wonder if it was still in the process of being built or not.

FuZion.

FuZion 
Posted on 5-Sep-2005 7:17:13
#8 ]

@elwood

I've managed to find a couple of websites on the game. There's approx 2 in the world & they're not maintained anymore. I know the game is not forgotten by those that played it

Here's a grab of Death Tank Zwei. The weapon being shown is a Deaths Head:

Go on, make your comments

FuZion.

T_Bone 
Posted on 5-Sep-2005 7:32:42
#9 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

ooo, nice! reminds me of scorched earth!

FuZion 
Posted on 5-Sep-2005 7:45:08
#10 ]

@T_Bone

There have been a few comparisons drawn yeah but the crem-de-la-crem of this game is that you don't take turns. It's a free for all real time battle. SO many drunken nights with the lads. At first they're saying, what's this. Within 10 minutes they're laughing like kids! Hehehe...

FuZion.

elwood 
Posted on 5-Sep-2005 8:26:18
#11 ]
Elite Member

@FuZion

This could be helpful.

Contact them to get the source code.

Last edited by elwood on 05-Sep-2005 at 08:26 AM.

Amiga Translator Organisation

shoe 
Posted on 5-Sep-2005 8:54:32
#12 ]

@T_Bone

Quote:

T_Bone wrote:
@FuZion

ooo, nice! reminds me of scorched earth!

I used to love Scorched Earth, it was so damn fun. And it's also all about gameplay.

But why not beef up the graphics and sound of the game? Like someone already said, if you want the _exact_ game, why not use an emulator?

I like your commitment though!

p.s. why not a port of Scorched 3D - A 3D Remake Of Scorched Earth!? This game also has wonderful gameplay, and definatelly the right 'Scorched feeli'n'!
Screenshots!

/shoe

FuZion 
Posted on 5-Sep-2005 20:29:45
#13 ]

@elwood

I'd spotted that yeah. It's not quite right so I hadn't thought about contacting them. I was thinking a complete fresh re-write. I'll contact them, see if I get a response.

@Shoe

Updated graphics would be very welcome, but for V2 Part of the attraction is the fact that you don't get distracted by posh graphics. I'd just really love to see a spot on conversion. Then take it further from there.

We all know what it's like when we have something special (AmigaOS) & all we want is for others to appreciate it too.

If we had a Saturn emulator for OS4, that'd be alright I guess. It's multiplayer only though (Multitap), so the game would be a pain huddled around a single keyboard. AmigaInput would need to support up to 7 control devices (Preferably cordless ) & the emulator would need to support AmigaInput. I doubt any of those will happen any time soon.

Course, a 'native' version would have the same AmigaInput issues but at least an online function would save the keyboard sharing.

Update: I sat down & played the game yesterday (Me, 2 joypads, pen & paper) noted down more info & details. Dammit |I've nearly made the game --- On paper

FuZion.

FuZion 
Posted on 6-Sep-2005 7:34:17
#14 ]

@FuZion

I originally attempted this 2 or 3 years ago, got one person that was interested but that person stopped replying to e-mails after a few weeks.

Isn't anyone interested?

FuZion.

FuZion 
Posted on 7-Sep-2005 0:19:15
#15 ]

@FuZion

Ok then so how about this.

If someone could come up with some basic code that'll display a basic object on a basic background (A 2 colour bit map to start: land/sky) that shoots a pixel. Leave that with me & I'll suss out what I can.

Things like the movement properties (eg. Tank speed), angles, aiming speed, reload times (For the single pixel to start with) & other variables that don't necessarily need specific programming skills. They're mostly picking the right numbers to put in the right places right?

I'll even throw in a few beers... Although that'll probably slow me down

FuZion.

FuZion 
Posted on 10-Sep-2005 16:32:03
#16 ]

I didn't expect hoards of people to come running forward.

Would anyone be interested even if the project was a slow one (No ETA or deadlines etc...)? Not that there would be anyway. I just wanna get a project moving, at ANY pace.

FuZion.

Mr_Capehill 
Posted on 10-Sep-2005 17:34:12
#17 ]

@FuZion

Would the background be created by an algorithm or loaded as a bitmap?

I have no time (sorry!) to assist you with the game but I think I could hack you some basic code in C or C++ if you want. (I wonder if I'm gonna regret this ;)

Tomas 
Posted on 10-Sep-2005 18:40:51
#18 ]
Elite Member

I think it would be easier if you got the source code. I also think there would be some legal hassle if you wrote a new game from scratch and used same name and so on?

I also like this style of games, but sadly i am not a programmer at all.

I would not mind seeing a port for scorched3d either http://www.scorched3d.co.uk/

Last edited by Tomas on 10-Sep-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Last edited by Tomas on 10-Sep-2005 at 06:41 PM.

FuZion 
Posted on 10-Sep-2005 21:05:43
#19 ]

@Mr_Capehill

The background could done either way. Whichever would be easiest. I imagine an algorithm would be easier with respects to the resolution (Whether the game was 640x480, 800x600 etc...). I suppose a bitmap would need to be scaled for the selectable resolutions wheras an algorithm would recalculate using the vertical height accordingly.

You won't regret it I would love to be able to start myself. I used to have a blast at AMOS. Then Blitz Basic came in but due to constant crashing, I drifted. Now I fear I'm so far behind I wouldn't know where to start. In fact, me & a few other members talked about this last year, beginning to program for OS4 (If memory serves, Jahc & Amipal were also interested), but due to time constraints (A full time job & my own business) I couldn't find the time to get stuck in

@Tomas

I've had no reply on the source code for the PC version (Hell Tank). I don't imagine there would be much trouble with legal hassle. For example, Hell Tank is inspired from the same game. In fact, LOTS of games are inspired from similar games. Too close & they just get slated for not being original (See Crazy Taxi & Simpsons Road Rage). The name? That's a synch, I already have a name in mind & it'll be more original than AmiTank Hehe...

FuZion.

alx 
Posted on 10-Sep-2005 22:08:27
#20 ]

@FuZion

Sounds like a great game I can also see how it would benefit from the larger screen resolutions available nowadays, and networking (if everyone played over a network you could even get over the single screen limitation).

Best of luck getting a team to write it. I've dabbled in C++ and SDL myself (which is how I'd go about writing it, at least) however the only project I've done so far was an isometric engine (command and conquer type thing) that was abandoned due to lack of time and interest. Theres no way I'd have the skills or commitment to write something like this alongside experienced devs, but if it all falls through give me a PM - it'd be an interesting personal challenge

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle