Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  55 secs ago
 outlawal2:  18 mins ago
 AndreasM:  21 mins ago
 sibbi:  30 mins ago
 saimo:  44 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  45 mins ago
 vox:  56 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OSNews Amiga OS 4'Editorial'
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: OSNews Amiga OS 4'Editorial'
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:13:08
# ]

@Thom_Holwerda

It could... save you some typing?

Report this post  
harsh 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:13:22
#42 ]

@Troels
Quote:
Also in the playstation forums, where there is a thread about OS4 on PS3 there is a guy called Redhouse posting.
Why should we get excited about porting to a game console which is having troubles getting out of the gate as a game console?

Profile     Report this post  
digitaldisaster 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:13:29
#43 ]
Cult Member

@Thom_Holwerda

i think he means it's saying nothing that hasn't either been said before or is obvious

harsh 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:14:14
#44 ]

@Troels
Quote:
Also in the playstation forums, where there is a thread about OS4 on PS3 there is a guy called Redhouse posting.
Why should we get excited about porting to a game console which is having troubles getting out of the gate as a game console?

digitaldisaster 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:15:05
#45 ]
Cult Member

@harsh

because it would be cheaper and more powerful than the A1 plus have a certain future, I mean Sony, IBM and Toshiba are hardly going to pull it now are they?

harsh 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:17:28
#46 ]

@digitaldisaster

Quote:
because it would be cheaper and more powerful than the A1 plus have a certain future, I mean Sony, IBM and Toshiba are hardly going to pull it now are they?
At this point, the PS3 could arguably be stillborn. Don't you suppose it would make more sense to port to something that is at least shipping?

Troels 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:21:59
#47 ]
Elite Member

@harsh

Quote:

Well if Sony really welcomes other operating systems on the PS3 I consider that a silly question.

*Availability will be much better than we have ever experienced.
*Price will probably be much better.
*It will be MUCH more powerfull than any Amiga have ever been.

3 things that is quite important IMHO!

Legion 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:25:56
#48 ]
Cult Member

@Thom_Holwerda

Quote:
So, you were saying I was a troll? Seems to me you don't know what a troll is. Read up on terms before using them. An opinion you disagree with is not automatically a troll.

Hmm... perhaps you are right, in light of the information that Opi, bless his blue little heart, shared with us regarding the purpose of the 'editorials.'

So yes, I retract my statement that you are trolling. You are merely, in fact, simply really, really uninformed. There is a big difference and I apologize.

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:28:08
# ]

@Troels

The price probably won't be particularly low. Even Ken Kutaragi admitted that.

They have suggested a certain willingness to have other operating systems running on the PS3 though.
On the other hand anything Sony says or promises is not necessarily the same as what Sony does or delivers.

Last edited by Trezzer on 26-Mar-2006 at 11:34 PM.

Report this post  
digitaldisaster 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:48:38
#50 ]
Cult Member

@Trezzer

it will still be relatively low compared to an AmigaOne (it is a complete solution remember). The existence of Linux on it means that it can at least unofficially be done (LKM that trashes the memory and loads AOS4 from a file?)

Rogue 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:50:58
#51 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@hatschi

Quote:
Would it make a big difference if Amiga Inc. agrees on a Pegasos-port? The "Who is going to pay EUR 20k for the porting" question would still need to be resolved.

If you look back, there has been at least one public offer. There had been non-public offers as well.

Rogue 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:51:30
#52 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@opi

Quote:
BTW: hope you guys don't mind OS4 (I know, I know it's not up to you, just from technical point of view) on Efika?

Currently busy with the ENIAC port... Maybe after the Turing port...

Zardoz 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:52:59
#53 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

ENIAC!? Oh, come on, a Colossus port would be FAR better!

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:53:58
# ]

@Thom_Holwerda

Why did you reply to reply to this one post, and not to Rogue and Enthilza?!

They explained that they legally can't do anything you want even if they want it themselves. Why not at least acknowledge that, and then we can talk about the real villain of all this.

Your editorial would have been so much better if it was about Amiga Inc and Amiga Inc alone. They carry the name and hold all the cards, but they don't communicate and they don't appear to care about AmigaOS, Hyperion or the community.

They don't appear to be receptive to business proposals any longer. Even though Hyperion do all the work and they take the money. And yet they don't formally distance themselves from AmigaOS. They even turn up here when they have a motorbike give away in a competition. But fail to answer any of the questions we demand of them.

We just don't know anything about this company any more. They're playing with us and as far as I can see, Hyperion. And it's disgusting, really. They deserve an editorial all to themselves.

Chris

Report this post  
Rogue 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:54:48
#55 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@AMiGR

Quote:
ENIAC!? Oh, come on, a Colossus port would be FAR better!

Naw, I had a bunch of vaccum tubes lying around, so I fixed my old ENIAC...

digitaldisaster 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:58:33
#56 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

I hear there are some people trying to get rid of £50m or so as long as you don't ask too many questions.....

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2006 23:59:46
# ]

@clebin

What would be even better would be actual, you know, journalism. I know it's terribly out of fashion these days, since it's so easier to rant and opinionate. Yet it is a virtue that should not be underestimated.

Wouldn't it be more interesting, if someone got some actual answers instead of just speculation? Or am I just oldfashioned?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 0:01:46
# ]

@Rogue

I really feel for you in all this. One day Amiga Inc will bother to take up an offer, or at least give a response.

I did find out Amiga have a Be Inc-style monthly newsletter where they keep the community informed
of goings on. Here's the link.

EDIT: the link didn't work. The, ahem, joke was that it went to about :blank.

Chris

Last edited by clebin on 27-Mar-2006 at 12:14 AM.

Report this post  
umisef 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 0:09:50
#59 ]

@clebin

Quote:
Why did you reply to reply to this one post, and not to Rogue and Enthilza?!

I'd venture a guess... I suspect Thom is just too polite (or too sane :) to point out that the Friedens' outrage goes against a complete strawman. Thom, after all, did *not* write "Hyperion should get their act together". He did not even mention the number of release dates suggested, given, hinted at, implied, and most of all, missed. He did not mention the fact that perfectly licensed hardware has been in the hands of users for the last 9 years, and that the decision not to release for that hardware apparently is purely political.

He could have mentioned all that, and criticised Hyperion, but he did not. Either he wasn't aware of the issues, or (more likely), he chose to ignore them in favour of the point he WAS going to make.

And that point, if you look closely (i.e. simply read the damn article), is
Quote:
Amiga, Inc., who licensed the development of Amiga OS4 out to Hyperion, demands that Amiga OS4 can only be obtained through buying a computer that comes bundled with it

Not a single negative thing is said about Hyperion by themselves; Every time phrases like "pull their head out of the sand" or similar are mentioned, it is Amiga Inc and Hyperion, jointly, who are addressed. Obviously, nothing can happen without Hyperion; Reportedly, nothing can happen without Amiga Inc, either. So addressing those two, jointly, and asking them to get their act together (that includes building a working relationship amongst themselves) makes sense.

And stating that, if this does not happen, OS4 will be stillborn for all intents and purposes, is not trolling --- it's telling the truth. Maybe telling that truth on AW.net could be considered trolling, but Thom didn't do that, now did he? He expressed that opinion on OSnews, where, as he himself states, 95% of people have no Amiga background, and thus have not hung on every one of Rogue's and Entilzha's words for the last 4+ years....

SlayeR__ 
Posted on 27-Mar-2006 0:10:08
#60 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

I guess if you have a ENIAC you wont need any other computer or have room for one either.

Last edited by SlayeR__ on 27-Mar-2006 at 12:12 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle