Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 96 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

pixie,  bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  1 min ago
 pixie:  2 mins ago
 Birbo:  9 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Beajar:  1 hr 45 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 52 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Experienced AMITHLON users wanted!
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
AmiKit 
Experienced AMITHLON users wanted!
Posted on 11-Apr-2006 18:45:17
#1 ]

If you're interested in helping to create an Amithlon version of AmiKit, please do not hesitate to join the "amikit_amithlon" yahoo group! Since I do not have a time to do the conversion work by myself (and probably because of my poor Amithlon skills as well ;) I'd like to pass this project to you! The aim is to prepare easy-to-install AmiKit package that should work under Amithlon. I am ready to supply information, knowledge and files you need.

Please send an mail to amikit_amithlon-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and wait for your authorization from other members. All new members gain a group-moderator status.

Thank you!

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Re: Experienced AMITHLON users wanted!
Posted on 11-Apr-2006 20:46:00
#2 ]
Elite Member

@glwxxx

Sure are you paying a per hour rate towards completion or a one time payout for the completed project?

BenMatthew 
Posted on 11-Apr-2006 21:43:02
#3 ]

@BrianK

Hey thats the spirit. Someone creates a useful compilation of amiga software for you to download for free, wants to make it available to more users and you swipe at him with a sarcastic remark like that.

Perhaps I'm missing the point; what exactly were you getting at?

TJH132 
Posted on 11-Apr-2006 21:54:06
#4 ]

@glwxxx

I've been using Amithlon since the very beginning. I've installed it successfully on two computers, have SCSI, USB2.0, digital audio, and lots of other things crammed into these computers, but I don't know if I could help you very much. I would certainly like to see AmiKit on Amithlon.

My philosophy is: Get it working and leave it alone!

What is your concept for AmiKit on Amithlon? Would it install on top of a fresh installation of Amithlon? Do you need to know what software and patches have problems with Amithlon?

TJH

BrianK 
Posted on 11-Apr-2006 22:10:34
#5 ]
Elite Member

@BenMatthew
Quote:

Hey thats the spirit. Someone creates a useful compilation of amiga software for you to download for free, wants to make it available to more users and you swipe at him with a sarcastic remark like that.

Perhaps I'm missing the point; what exactly were you getting at?

No sarcasm intended. I get paid to do development on Windows & Linux platforms. I have used Amithlon, AmigaForever, and the Amiga itself for 12+ years. In the past I have programmed for the Amiga and the Mac though done neither in the last 5 years. I was simply checking to see what the offer was here none the more or less.

ChrisH 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 9:33:37
#6 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK
Payment will be the knowledge that you have helped the Amiga be used for longer & by more people, thus making an "Amiga revival" more likely. Payment will be upon completion of the project.

AmiKit 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 14:01:15
#7 ]

@TJH132

Quote:
What is your concept for AmiKit on Amithlon? Would it install on top of a fresh installation of Amithlon? Do you need to know what software and patches have problems with Amithlon?

Well, I am not very familiar with Amithlon... My concept is to install AmiKit on top of the fresh Amithlon installation. I assume all the harwdare specific drivers are already installed so AmiKit doesn't need to hold a bunch of various HW drivers, you know. It would be nice to have an "AmiKithlon" package containing native Amithlon versions of various programs minus those that don't work. This package should be well tested and easy-to-install...

ChrisH 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 14:22:28
#8 ]
Elite Member

@glwxxx
That won't work, as the main Amithlon distribution is incredibly out of date - you need to install lots of patches & stuff. But perhaps the patches could be included as part of the AmithlonKit?

AmiKit 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 14:27:01
#9 ]

@ChrisH

I am not sure about the legal status of these patches, I assume they cannot be included in AmiKithlon package... Who knows?

Anyway, if one is able to setup default Amithlon config, the installation of AmiKit on the top of everything must be easy ask for him/her... (btw. are there any girls using Amiga??? just curious )

BrianK 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 14:37:29
#10 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
Payment will be the knowledge that you have helped the Amiga be used for longer & by more people, thus making an "Amiga revival" more likely. Payment will be upon completion of the project.
I tried to feed the kitten satisfaction of a job well done. She starved to death. (Note: This isn't true no kittens have come to harm.) Seriously a job well done is the satisfaction with everything I do. Just the one's involving computers put the food on the table and roof over our heads.

umisef 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 16:22:53
#11 ]

@glwxxx

Quote:
I am not sure about the legal status of these patches, I assume they cannot be included in AmiKithlon package... Who knows?

Presumably, the respective copyright holders know :)

I have no idea what Harald's attitude towards redistribution of the powerpci stuff is (the only thing he ever updated, except for grand announcements). Similarly, H&P's "official Amithlon Update" is probably not redistributable without their consent.

However, I *do* know, strangely enough, that all the updates Bernie released can be included as long as (a) one asks nicely and (b) complies with the requirements of third party licenses (here: GPL) where appropriate. And if you find something in the H&P stuff which is actually needed but not covered by this paragraph, asking nicely is likely to help as well --- seeing as most things on the Amithlon-side of the H&P update did not originate at H&P.

So, if you find anyone to run with that idea, encourage them to shoot me a message :)

Rudei 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 17:15:21
#12 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

This Amithlon/PC emulation malarkey kinda defeats the object of having an Amiga does it not? Just my two pence worth.

Rude!

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 19:37:03
#13 ]

@Rudei

Why'd you think that?

Frags 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 19:45:55
#14 ]
Cult Member

@DrBombcrater

I`d like to know that too. I thought the object was to run Amiga programs.

- insert profound text here -

Rudei 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 21:32:34
#15 ]
Elite Member

@DrBombcrater

Just my opinion.
Amiga for me was all about owning an Amiga and not a PC.. guess that legacy ended ages ago!

Rude!

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 22:23:55
#16 ]

@Rudei

For me it's about the OS - the Amiga hardware was nice in 1986, sucky by 1996 and a complete waste of time in 2006. And Amithlon is a damn fine way of running AmigaOS.

BenMatthew 
Posted on 12-Apr-2006 23:49:21
#17 ]

@BrianK

Quote:
I tried to feed the kitten satisfaction of a job well done. She starved to death. (Note: This isn't true no kittens have come to harm.) Seriously a job well done is the satisfaction with everything I do. Just the one's involving computers put the food on the table and roof over our heads.

As is the case with a lot of us. Just that sometimes people like to put a little back

BrianK 
Posted on 13-Apr-2006 1:08:38
#18 ]
Elite Member

@BenMatthew

Quote:
As is the case with a lot of us. Just that sometimes people like to put a little back
I hope you don't think I'm ripping on someone that does it for free. If they want to do that more power to them. As for putting back we all do it in our own ways. 603e & 604e waited with baited breath for OS4... Assembled Amigas from unloved and broken ones and gotten them back into users hands... Given free 2 hour intro to the Toaster classes.. Driven to other users houses to help them with their Amiga issues. This sort of stuff I've not done for the PC and won't be. (Okay not quite my Dad and Brother got free PC help but not random strangers.)

ChrisH 
Posted on 13-Apr-2006 12:34:54
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Rudei who said Quote:
This Amithlon/PC emulation malarkey kinda defeats the object of having an Amiga does it not?

Tell me that when I can actually BUY a real Amiga to run OS4 on! As it stands, an x86 is the fastest Amiga you can buy. And if WinUAE or Amithlon are not your cup of tea, then AROS does not emulate at all.

(Personally I don't feel that Amithlon is really an emulation, since it removed most of the UAE stuff, and just left the JIT 68k processor plus some hacks to get OS3.9 to run, and has no visible or noticable OS running underneath AmigaOS).

Fransexy 
Posted on 13-Apr-2006 15:11:41
#20 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
Tell me that when I can actually BUY a real Amiga to run OS4 on! As it stands, an x86 is the fastest Amiga you can buy.

Tell me what x86 actually run OS4? if you want OS4 then amithlon or uae is not for you

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle