Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 132 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

amigakit

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  4 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  17 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr 18 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 vox:  4 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  New PowerPC Platform for OS4
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )
PosterThread
saimo 
Re: New PowerPC Platform for OS4
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 8:13:07
#381 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:
I think both Adam and Troika realize this, which is why every time one of them pops up with news the other quickly releases some info too. I suspect the Samantha deal caught them both by surprise though

66.7% agreed. You forgot BBRV

saimo

Profile     Report this post  
CodeSmith 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 8:46:30
#382 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

I don't think that bbrv are seriously after the OS4 hardware market any more. Bill Buck is a smart guy and he must realize that the ones holding the keys (Amiga Inc) aren't likely to open the doors for him any time soon. I think he just likes to stir things up once in a while. Everyone needs a hobby, I guess...

saimo 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 9:05:00
#383 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:
I don't think that bbrv are seriously after the OS4 hardware market any more. Bill Buck is a smart guy and he must realize that the ones holding the keys (Amiga Inc) aren't likely to open the doors for him any time soon.

Could be. I don't know for sure, of course. But the suspicion remains.

Quote:
I think he just likes to stir things up once in a while. Everyone needs a hobby, I guess...

If he does it just for fun, then he enjoys causing troubles to other people. Either way you look it, the view is not nice :/

saimo

Last edited by saimo on 12-Sep-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Naz 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 9:23:03
#384 ]

@CodeSmith

I think he just makes a lot of noise time by time to bring people to his blog and to announce his power.org projects. In my opinion there's no interest in os4 but in bringing os4 people to his products.

ironfist 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 9:32:37
#385 ]
Cult Member

saimo:
"Just look at the who wrote the first post of this thread and what he said."

And your point beeing?..

Troika's PR has been a joke right from the start. Can't anyone understand this?
Last fall they told us they have recieved both northbridges and memory modules
and what did they do? Yes, bring us pictures of the said northbridge and RAM.
My question was pretty resonable considering how their PR is like.

If Troika ever delivers a board to GGS-Data, I will be very surprised. Will I buy
it? Maybe, depends on the specifications and Linux compatibility. And, of course,
the price. That is the most important factor for a student like me.

saimo 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 11:04:23
#386 ]
Elite Member

@ironfist

Quote:
And your point beeing?..

Exactly the one that you omitted in your quote. If you really care about the answer, consider what I wrote in its entirety and in the proper context (for your convenience: post #380).

Quote:
Troika's PR has been a joke right from the start. Can't anyone understand this?

Is this the thought you wanted to express in the post I indicated? If so:
- why didn't you just say it clearly and with more polite words?
- why did you choose to do it there, after an announcement with a clearly technical orientation?
- why did not you explain the reasons that would make that announcement look like a joke?
- do you realize that your post looked also like a negative hint at the "clues" (you posted on 8-Sep-2006 23:00:07, when, at that time, the "New hardware clue number 2" thread - started on the same day - had already reached page #6 - BTW: how strange that you don't appear there...)?
Yours was nothing but a cheap shot at everybody.

Quote:

Last fall they told us they have recieved both northbridges and memory modules
and what did they do? Yes, bring us pictures of the said northbridge and RAM.
My question was pretty resonable considering how their PR is like.
If Troika ever delivers a board to GGS-Data, I will be very surprised. Will I buy
it? Maybe, depends on the specifications and Linux compatibility. And, of course,
the price. That is the most important factor for a student like me.

So, now the problem with Troika is just their PR. That's much less strong than saying that Troika is a hoax - I don't know if you used exactly that word, but at least in this post you openly say that you don't believe in Troika and Adam (I can't bother to look for more).
It seems that now you are trying to escape the trap you built yourself by gradually considering possibilities other than Troika-is-a-hoax - I suspect that all that's being discussed these days is forcing you to try to came out of it "clean". Well, IMHO, there's only one way to do it: if you have doubts/complaints/whatever, feel free to express your thoughts; but, please, don't use rude words, don't make your opinions look like *the* truth, don't attack, don't whine here and there, don't repeat the same useless, already disproved arguments and so on.
If sometimes these forums look like hell is just because there are people that behave exactly like you did in that post I pointed out.

saimo

Kronos 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 13:22:25
#387 ]
Elite Member

@jahc

I would say being incompetent and BSing the community about "progress" does indeed qualify for "hoax", and it wouldn't be 1st time we had something like that.

rickardr was certainly a hoax by that wider definition, but was he also one by the narrow one (read did he do it on purpose).

Well, we have seen more absurd brainfarts being folowed through in more absurd ways....

jkirk 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 14:24:10
#388 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

miriam webster definition of hoax

Quote:
Function: noun
1 : an act intended to trick or dupe : IMPOSTURE
2 : something accepted or established by fraud or fabrication

Quote:
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: probably contraction of hocus
: to trick into believing or accepting as genuine something false and often preposterous

now the hoax conversation can continue with a common point.

now your statement
Quote:
incompetent and BSing the community about "progress"

being incompetent does not qualify as a hoax

BSing the community only qualifies if the person knows it is a lie and makes the statement anyway. do you have proof of this?

Last edited by jkirk on 12-Sep-2006 at 02:34 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Kronos 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 14:55:10
#389 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Why is it only me that needs "proof" ???

From your quote "fabrication": Lots of the statements made by both Troika and ACK over the past 2 years (and mony others before and after)were extremly overoptimistic, which is often just a nicer way to spell fabrication.

"Knowing it is lie" sounds fair, but whats if the person claiming something is sofar of his base that he doesn't even realitze he's off ?

hotrod 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 15:07:22
#390 ]
Elite Member

@ironfist

Do I notice a little bit of fear from some blue trolls? As soon as something turns to the brighter side of things for the OS 4 community the same reaction appears. "It's all lies! They won't bring anything! What they make are crap!" etc etc etc...

And what will that change I wonder?

Last edited by hotrod on 12-Sep-2006 at 03:07 PM.

jkirk 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 15:11:17
#391 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
Why is it only me that needs "proof"

innocent until proven guilty.
what was said in this thread about this hardare offers circumstantial if not direct proof that this was a hoax.

Quote:
From your quote "fabrication": Lots of the statements made by both Troika and ACK over the past 2 years (and mony others before and after)were extremly overoptimistic, which is often just a nicer way to spell fabrication.

no it isn't. overoptimistic is actually believing one can do something but finding out later they can't. fabrication is knowing something cannot be done but claim it can.

Quote:
"Knowing it is lie" sounds fair, but whats if the person claiming something is sofar of his base that he doesn't even realitze he's off ?

that may be true. however in this thread this person ignored or refused to address a point. which is how can they get os4 to work when hyperion knows nothing about the project. it is illegal to modify the code since ainc does not own the code. only hyperion can give that approval but would want to do that work themselves.

knowing that it is reasonable to assume that
A he knew it was wrong(illegal) but was forging ahead
B didn't feel he should respond since he knew it would never work

either way the project would never be released since it is illegal. while claiming all the time that it was legal and progress was occurring.

Last edited by jkirk on 12-Sep-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

ronaldst 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 16:19:32
#392 ]

@hotrod

Nah. I agree with Ironfist. Troika sure sounds like it is a major hoax.

Basically, if I read properly, Troika is bringing a non-functional mobo at BB4.

The question remains... Why? Aren't amigans tired of being shown non-functional stuff of something that could be done in the "near" future?

All beer tastes bad.

Rogue 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 17:08:48
#393 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@ironfist

[quote]So for any license inquiries -- as Richard R did -- you are supposed to contact
Amiga Inc not Hyperion VOF. Hyperion VOF is to be contacted when you want
information or support, not licensing.
/quote]

What kind of questions are you going to have while porting OS 4? Or, for the matter, how do you actually port OS 4 to a new platform if you don't have the source code? Who are you going to ask for the source code? Amiga? I don't think so.

Note he claimed "halfway through porting", so I'm sorry if I think that this story is more than a bit thin.

Maybe it's just me.

pixie 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 17:28:39
#394 ]
Elite Member

@hotrod

Quote:

Perhaps *if* a mb arrives things change... what will change then? Who knows, it's uncharted world...

AV 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 17:29:11
#395 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Note he claimed "halfway through porting", so I'm sorry if I think that this story is more than a bit thin.

Maybe it's just me.

No, it's not just you.
With such statement ("halfway.."), it was clear since the beginning it was an hoax.
I find it so depressing that this thread is kept in the top 10 over and over, when there was no issue to start with.

jorkany 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 17:32:23
#396 ]
Cult Member

@jkirk
Quote:
being incompetent does not qualify as a hoax

Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.

Seer 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 18:00:39
#397 ]
Team Member

@hotrod

Do I notice a little bit of fear from some blue trolls? As soon as something turns to the brighter side of things for the OS 4 community the same reaction appears. "It's all lies! They won't bring anything! What they make are crap!" etc etc etc...

ah... A pattern emerges...

Good news comes, trolls come in, trolls get blasted (not well enough they keep comming back), good news doesn't follow trough, trolls say told you so...

We will know at the end of this month if anything has chanced. Untill then, keep the party rolling....

Seehund 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 18:04:11
#398 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@ironfist

[quote]

Maybe it's just me.

Actually, he claimed "half-way through booting OS4", which with a slightly less malicious interpretation just as well could be seen as "we're half-way through working on making the board [firmware, whatever...] suitable for OS4".

Why assume the unlikely, if not impossible; that a hardware vendor would have anything to do with AmigaOS development to begin with, and even do it without Hyperion's knowledge?

Too bad he did all this in the fscked-up "new Amiga hardware" way we're used to by now (see "AmigaOne", "Amy", yadayada). Stupid hints, pointless secrecy, public posturing and above all, another god-damn Name Contest! :)

Contacting AInc (good luck!) stating that "hey, I'd like to sell the DHT Walnut board to AOS4 users, and would like to inquire about a licence" would have been a better way to do this IMO. Then go public when he has been granted or denied a licence, and say exactly which product he'll be reselling on a new pseudo-market under a new name.

The same goes for all the other bull$hitters on this bull$hit "market". Strangely, only richardr is met by sensible scepticism (or outright abuse) here, despite that richardr in one single thread has provided more information about an actually existing product and his licence situation, than e.g. Troika have done in two years (or however long that particular circus has been going on).

Whatever, any "new OS4 hardware" is pointless.

Seehund 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 18:15:06
#399 ]

@Seer

Quote:

Seer wrote:
Good news comes, trolls come in, trolls get blasted (not well enough they keep comming back), good news doesn't follow trough, trolls say told you so...

"Good news" actually being "good news", instead of the nonsense we have seen for half a decade now. Of course.

A half-dozen people posting dancing bananas does not mean something is good news. Some guy saying he's looking for a new name for the DHT Walnut is not good news. Some other guys saying they from now would like to refer to the AD1888 as "the Kryptos sound system" is not good news.

AmigaOS4 being available for sale for competitive hardware on a functional market would be good news. :)

tomazkid 
Posted on 12-Sep-2006 18:25:41
#400 ]
Team Member

Now you've had the all day to make your final statements in this thread, time for a lock.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle