Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  6 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 22 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 hrs 12 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 50 mins ago
 billt:  5 hrs 58 mins ago
 amigang:  6 hrs 9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  6 hrs 11 mins ago
 agami:  6 hrs 35 mins ago
 matthey:  6 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )
PosterThread
AmigaHeretic 
Re: SHOULD AmigaOS Be Ported To x86...
Posted on 17-Jun-2006 22:23:11
#381 ]

@takemehomegrandma

I know you're just throwing out examples and I don't mean to be being negative in anyway, just throwing out my concerns about "embedded" as far as the new direction of AOS4 really

The thread is about X86 and I don't see how an Efika+AOS4+Hollywood solutions would be any different than an X86+AOS4+Hollywood solution. Other than price..

AmigaHeretic

Profile     Report this post  
adiaux 
Posted on 17-Jun-2006 23:21:12
#382 ]

@wegster

Quote:

wegster wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

AFAIK, Peg2s are no longer being made, which would make this a moot point.
Saying 'Genesi is the only hardware' is a stretch, even in light of some of it not being produced any longer (again, AFAIK, have asked some MOS guys, who seemed to confirm this..?).

"Not being produced any longer" - well, I do know that there has been quite some time without Pegasos in stock at Genesi. Completely sold out since several months, and no new batches. I don't know if this means that it will never be produced ever again, or that they simply wait to collect as much HW manufacturing as possible at the same time over at DCE? It *could* be that they have waited to do a batch of Efikas and Pegasos at the same time, and when the Efika was delayed (which it has been *a couple* of times already; they *have* had some challanges in the design process (maybe this will interest ACK as well?)), they simply delayed the Pegasos as well? What do I know... But I'll tell you what - there is something about the 15:th of every month. At every time there has been a delay, it has been said that "no Efikas will be shipped prior to the 15:th of xxx". The last "15:th" that occured (last month), GGS Data suddenly listed Pegasos as "in stock", only to cancel this a few days later. My guess is that Gunne was expecting a deliverance of Pegasos2's at a date close thereafter, but they never came due to another delay of Efika's. And another thing - BBRV has been very silent the last few days. I have tried to mail them on another subject, but I haven't got a reply. Normally they reply within an hour or so. And it's around the 15:th now, maybe they have met up with the b-plan guys at DCE for the ceremonial first Efika production run ever, and watch some soccer afterwords? Of course, this is only speculation. Or maybe they are both hospitalized ?

But if the Pegasos won't be manufactured by Genesi anymore, then I guess you would have to manufacture your own!

Quote:
In the event the OSW comes about, OS4 still isn't SMP.

Yes, this is one of the things that makes the OSW an overkill for OS4 (and MorphOS). I don't know if XEN would make it more interesting? Not being able to use the $1600 hardware to the fullest might feel annoying, even if using only one of the cores would mean an *upgrade* in MHz and specifications in general, compared to the Pegasos2 ...

Quote:
There are far more PPC Mac Minis out there

I know, but there are many issues with that approach ...

Quote:
I agree in that something like the Efika(2) may be the most sensical immediate target platform, but just like you believe there is little chance in seeing AInc agreeing to an x86 port, I believe there's even less of a chance of seeing AInc agree to a port to Genesi hardware, so regardless of how many might want it, or think it 'makes sense,' it becomes a moot point.

AmigaInc is blocking everything. They are the real problem, all categories. This is where the resumed lawsuit comes into play. I am not giving that too much hope, but AFAIK it could be the last chance ...

adiaux 
Posted on 17-Jun-2006 23:23:06
#383 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:
The thread is about X86 and I don't see how an Efika+AOS4+Hollywood solutions would be any different than an X86+AOS4+Hollywood solution. Other than price..

My point was that hardware (and OS) and price of the hardware is not really relevant in the context ...

Last edited by takemehomegrandma on 18-Jun-2006 at 01:08 AM.

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 18-Jun-2006 3:59:29
#384 ]

@takemehomegrandma

So then we agree X86 is a smarter choice?

adiaux 
Posted on 18-Jun-2006 9:19:57
#385 ]

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@takemehomegrandma

So then we agree X86 is a smarter choice?

Going x86 would probably take just as long as it took to go PPC when it comes to time, money and effort. And after that investment of resources, sweat and more void-years-go-by you would end up being able to do about the same embedded things that you already can on PPC, so I don't really see the "smart" thing about it ...

mr_white 
Posted on 19-Jun-2006 1:12:33
#386 ]

@elatour

Quote:
Well, that may be so, and don't ask me to quote something that I saw Rogue say several moons ago, but he did in fact say that x86 sucks and they would not code anything for it, ever. As for whether the effort involved would be substantial, I can't possibly comment on, but as for whether it would be profitable, it's all a matter of opinion and speculative in either case, including Hyperion's plans for the embedded market.
Well, if your memory is so fresh about it I find it strange that you cannot provide a quote. I also find it strange that you only find this reasoning as the one worth mentioning as the Hyperion guys have posted dozens of posts explaining why a x86 port is out of the question (Rouge explaining why), unless you have a hidden agenda or something.

Quote:
Although the impossible part of this has to do with many reasons, it has also been in great part due to the various parties in the equation tripping over their own tremendously huge egos. With such a small community left, 3 options (or 4 if you count the UAE variants) this does more harm than good by fracturing the community with 3 or 4 versions that don't share much between them. If there was some form of collaboration between them (if we were able to magically sweep all of the licensing BS and huge wounded egos aside ) and possibly some form of consolidation where appropriate, this would be a different story of course. In most cases, this would create a mutually beneficial sinergy, at least IHMO.
Giving away the Amiga brand for free sure isn't beneficial for AInc, nor is porting AOS4 to all kinds of hw platforms without payment for Hyperion.

w

Last edited by mr_white on 19-Jun-2006 at 01:14 AM.

elatour 
Posted on 19-Jun-2006 5:46:17
#387 ]
Cult Member

@mr_white

Quote:
Well, if your memory is so fresh about it I find it strange that you cannot provide a quote. I also find it strange that you only find this reasoning as the one worth mentioning as the Hyperion guys have posted dozens of posts explaining why a x86 port is out of the question (Rouge explaining why), unless you have a hidden agenda or something.

Yeah, that's right I'm part of some conspiracy or I'm a liar. Get real! I just can't be bothered to spend the substantial time required to use AW.net's very limited search option to find something that was posted several months ago. But believe what you like, I just couldn't give a rat's #ss whether you do or not at this point. And by the way, each of the reason's given in that thread, which I had read, were addressed by many others in that thread...each point was either weak or baseless or both. I'm sorry, they have not given any good reasons as far as I and many others are concerned.

Quote:
Giving away the Amiga brand for free sure isn't beneficial for AInc, nor is porting AOS4 to all kinds of hw platforms without payment for Hyperion.

This is not what I said. Nothing I said involved AInc. giving their brand away OR involved any porting by Hyperion, but rather collaborative efforts to bring various things to market in a vaiety of ways and by different parties. But believe what you like. I just can't be bothered to repeat my reasoning as to why this was even brought up and how some of the tactics mentionned have been used successfully for a very long time as marketting tools to make money on something else.

Last edited by elatour on 19-Jun-2006 at 05:48 AM.

mr_white 
Posted on 19-Jun-2006 20:21:25
#388 ]

@elatour

Quote:
Yeah, that's right I'm part of some conspiracy or I'm a liar.

That's your words whichever you think suits you.

Quote:
Get real! I just can't be bothered to spend the substantial time required to use AW.net's very limited search option to find something that was posted several months ago. But believe what you like, I just couldn't give a rat's #ss whether you do or not at this point.

Calm down dude.

Quote:
And by the way, each of the reason's given in that thread, which I had read, were addressed by many others in that thread...each point was either weak or baseless or both. I'm sorry, they have not given any good reasons as far as I and many others are concerned.

Wathever you and others may think of the validity of these reasons they're still reasons and not simply "x86 sucks and we won't code for it, EVER"-phrase you keep on repeating, which btw is wrong on more than one account due to their previous Linux game porting business.

w

NoelFuller 
Posted on 20-Jun-2006 10:17:19
#389 ]
Cult Member

@All

If you really want to fantasize about faster chips see what
IBM is up to at:

350 GHz at room temperature!

Noel

mr_white 
Posted on 27-Jun-2006 16:31:57
#390 ]

Seems like Intel has found a buyer for the XScale:

Marvell buys Intel's handheld processor unit for $600 million.

w

tomazkid 
Posted on 27-Jun-2006 16:53:52
#391 ]
Team Member

I wonder if
these are the mystery devices ?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle