Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 153 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  8 mins ago
 OlafS25:  32 mins ago
 clint:  33 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs ago
 marcofreeman:  2 hrs 19 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Power.org, the Future, etc.
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
bbrv 
Power.org, the Future, etc.
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 12:38:54
#1 ]

Hi, thanks to the "powers that be" for thinking through the ban. We plan of posting a good deal this weekend. The key points coming:

1. The difference between confidentiality, anonymity and privacy as they pertain to life and the Internet.

2. Answers to the 25 questions or at least some of them.

Something to think about :

We need *one* focal point for Amiga to be featured on Power.org. If this is going to be the place for IBM and others to stop by, the quality level of participation has to increase. Reading the last thread it does not take long to identify the posts that contribute nothing to the discussion. If you don't want to help that is fine, but please do not make it more difficult for those that want to move Amiga ahead.

Still Soul Searching?

Thanks! Be back soon.

R&B

Profile     Report this post  
saimo 
Re: Power.org, the Future, etc.
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 12:44:28
#2 ]
Elite Member

@bbrv

Quote:

1. The difference between confidentiality, anonymity and privacy as they pertain to life and the Internet.

This has nothing to do with "General Computing and Technology" and I seriously doubt you can teach anything about it.

Quote:

2. Answers to the 25 questions or at least some of them.

Which 25 questions? The only 25 questions being discussed these days are McEwen's and so it is none of your business.

Quote:

We need *one* focal point for Amiga to be featured on Power.org. If this is going to be the place for IBM and others to stop by, the quality level of participation has to increase. Reading the last thread it does not take long to identify the posts that contribute nothing to the discussion. If you don't want to help that is fine, but please do not make it more difficult for those that want to move Amiga ahead.

Please define what you mean by "Amiga".

saimo

The_Editor 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 12:46:53
#3 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

666 posts ?

You demon !!

tomazkid 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 12:47:28
#4 ]
Team Member

@saimo

Quote:
Which 25 questions?

I think he is referring to the opening post in this thread

saimo 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 12:47:33
#5 ]
Elite Member

@The_Editor

Quote:

The_Editor wrote:
@saimo

666 posts ?

You demon !!

saimo

pixie 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 12:53:56
#6 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Quote:
This has nothing to do with "General Computing and Technology" and I seriously doubt you can teach anything about it.

Please sir, if it isn't you might well show us why, you seems to be a great teacher yourself you will have no problem in explaining on how solving those problems (confidentiality, anonymity and privacy) regarding internet, isn't at all related with "General Computing and Technology"..

pixie 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 12:55:05
#7 ]
Elite Member

@tomazkid

Quote:

tomazkid wrote:
@saimo

Quote:
Which 25 questions?

I think he is referring to the opening post in this thread

Which seems strange to not know about it as he had heavely contributed to its massive size...

Benji 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:04:16
#8 ]
Cult Member

@bbrv

Quote:
please do not make it more difficult for those that want to move Amiga ahead.

Hey!

We're coming right back atcha!

Hey hey come on!

Back atcha!

Still rambling?

1. The pointless meanderings
2. Bring back Helgis

B&B

tomazkid 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:04:17
#9 ]
Team Member

@pixie et all

Regading if this thread is in the right forum, I think so.
Forum description:
"This is the place to discuss about computers and technology in general.""

Also, with the Efika-thread in mind, this thread will be moderated for OT from now on, so please stay on the subject.

yoodoo2 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:06:20
#10 ]

@bbrv

Quote:
We plan of posting a good deal this weekend.

Hmm. What a coincidence.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

yoodoo2 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:07:15
#11 ]

btw still waiting to know where I can buy a single Efika, or whether I have to fund 50.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

bbrv 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:07:18
#12 ]

@tommi - thanks.

@saimo

The objective is not PegPong.

The objective is not to sell EFIKAs - we will sell a few and that is great.

We would welcome and support *any* Power based board into Power.org - Trokia, Ack, whoever (did we get those names right?).

If we can, we will support OS4 - just remember we support many operating systems.

Look at this:

power2people - Goals

That is what we are doing.

Every OS featured is open source, but we think digital distribution will need an alternative solution. Can you understand where we are going? We hope so and you don't clutter this thread again. Ask intelligent questions and we will try to give you respectful answers at the same level.

About Genesi and Power.org:

1. Genesi is a manufacturer of Power Architecture workstations and workgroup servers.

2. Our primary market for these products is the Power Architecture development market, both independent developers and organizations that use Power Architecture.

3. Our single best investment in advertising, marketing, promotion and engineering support is Power.org.

4. All of our work with Power.org, our energy, drive, enthusiasm, has, as its foundation, the requirement to sell our products to the Power Architecture community.

5. Our investment is substantial for a small company. It can only be justified if:

- Power.org is growing and that growth, in both paid member organizations and developers, is expanding the market for our products.

- We have products to sell to that community.

Almost a year ago we announced new and exciting products from Genesi that generated great interest and anticipation in the Power Architecture development community. Our team has continued to develop Power Architecture operating system releases even though the market for these releases is much smaller because of the departure of Apple. Have a look:

MyPowerPC.org

It works! Here is an example:

_ large version_

That is *the* IBM Cell Simulator running on the ODW thanks to altivec. It was developed and compiled on the Genesi GRID.

R&B

Benji 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:19:47
#13 ]
Cult Member

@bbrv

Quote:
don't clutter this thread again

Ok - as you own the thread (bought and paid for - I cant think of another reason that the moderators let you back), I will let you do your self-promotion of your commercial ventures in peace.

B&B

peterray 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:20:19
#14 ]

@bbrv

Quote:

bbrv wrote:
We need *one* focal point for Amiga to be featured on Power.org. If this is going to be the place for IBM and others to stop by, the quality level of participation has to increase. Reading the last thread it does not take long to identify the posts that contribute nothing to the discussion.

I don't understand all this invitations to join power.org. It's not meant to be a place where PPC hardware developer meet to form an ally ? I can't see how individuals can contribute. Why should I join it ?

Quote:

If you don't want to help that is fine, but please do not make it more difficult for those that want to move Amiga ahead.

No problem. I already support those that want to move Amiga ahead: Hyperion and the AOS4 developers, the Samantha project, who writes software for AOS4, ...
No, until now I've never seen you as someone who did something to be supported by me: but I really hope you will manage to produce something interesting for me soon.

Good luck !
Ciao
Gabriele

quenthal 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:21:50
#15 ]

Quote:
We would welcome and support *any* Power based board into Power.org - Trokia, Ack, whoever (did we get those names right?).

If we can, we will support OS4 - just remember we support many operating systems.

I can't see any reason why these wouldn't join power.org - publicity and sharing thoughts with other, quite big, members shouldn't hurt. I just think they are not yet ready for it. I remember reading somewhere that OS4 is not yet released for classics because there is not yet new hardware available for it. Classic version will follow. Reason why they do not release it first for classics, is that they don't wan't wrong kind of publicity - same might go for power.org membership. Considering hw-producers for OS4 - maybe it's same thing. Maybe they are developer/induvidual members already? I just registered myself, and maybe I don't have much to contribute (yet?), but free t-shirt with power.org -logo can't hurt

gregthecanuck 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:39:16
#16 ]
Cult Member

@bbrv

I believe your issues 1 (privacy, etc.) and 2 (A Inc's 25 q&a) are 'fluff' and a distraction from your main issue: to discuss the single "focal point" of contact for Amiga info.

If this is something for Power.org members to refer to, it is going to be hard to find a neutral site. Most are either OS4 focused, OS3.x classic focused, Morphos focused, Aros, Genesi, Troika, etc...

My suggestion is that we do not have an 'independent' enough site that explains in a non-biased manner the Amiga choices in terms of hardware and software for OS4 and Morphos deployment.

Who would create such a site?

How would it be structured?

1. Solution focused?
Suggest solutions and give suitable h/w and s/w combinations

2. Software focused?
For a given O/S suggest suitable h/w and software solutions

3. Hardware focused?
For a given hunk of h/w suggest valid O/S and software solutions

I am surmising all 3 would be the best.

It's a big job for someone, especially to do a nice non-neutral job.

As for Genesis, you are focusing on hardware, software and solutions/verticals. It appears you are backing out of the software arena (Morphos) and focusing more on solutions/verticals (porting Linux and various packages). Something like the Terrasoft/YDL model?

At some point you may have to choose between being a solution provider and a hardware manufacturer. Which would it be? The hardware manufacturing may provide a bias and restrict the spectrum of solutions you can provide - that is of course assuming we get more PPC motherboards out on the market, which is inevitable. I am thinking that in the longer-term future you may be out of the hardware business - there isn't a lot of money in it anyway. It's all in the services. Spinning off BPlan would have its own benefits as well.

Having that in mind, it makes sense to make overtures to get OS4 support for your products (Pegasos, Efika) as it broadens the range of solutions you can provide.

However, this type of OS4 adoption discussion must take place privately between yourselves and AInc/Hyperion. I don't want to hear any details on the forums - that's just politics and FUD. I only want to hear when you are making good progress, have worked out a deal or failed completely.

That's my brain-dump for now. Time for bed.

Last edited by gregthecanuck on 21-Sep-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Last edited by gregthecanuck on 21-Sep-2006 at 01:45 PM.

Dirk-B 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:47:10
#17 ]

@all

Do i see a pattern here?

Amiga Inc. - Genesis = attack Amiga Inc.
Eyetech - Bplan = attack Eyetech
A1 linux - Peg linux = attack A1 linux
A1 OS4 - Peg MOS = attack A1 OS4
OS4 embedded - EFIKA = attack OS4 embedded
Amiga Inc. OS5 - Power.org = attack Amiga Inc. OS5

next?

gnarly 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:53:35
#18 ]
Cult Member

@Dirk-B
Quote:
Do i see a pattern here?

Ferchrissakes, if you don't like these threads, just ignore them.

First rule of teh interwebs: Don't feed the trolls.

saimo 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:54:02
#19 ]
Elite Member

@pixie

Quote:
Please sir, if it isn't you might well show us why, you seems to be a great teacher yourself you will have no problem in explaining on how solving those problems (confidentiality, anonymity and privacy) regarding internet, isn't at all related with "General Computing and Technology"..

First off, in the previous thread and many other public appearances, BB proved he knows little and/or does not care at all about confidentiality, anonymity and privacy, so indipendently of how proficient I am in those matters, he surely is not the right person to preach about them.
Secondly, the title he himself chose for the thread is: "Power.org, the Future, etc.", which renders the point about confidentiality, anonymity and privacy completely OT. If BB wants to lecture us about those matters, he might want to consider opening a separate thread.
Finally, those issues are in general about ethics, personal and public relationships and such (and he has self-acknowledged that by writing "as they pertain to life") and the fact that they play a role also on the Internet does not automatically make this thread and the forum which "is the place to discuss about computers and technology in general" the best places for them.

I see my one-liner was too short, too strong, and too easy make it fire back. I'll be more careful in future.

saimo

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 21-Sep-2006 13:57:33
#20 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

OK, drop it now, that's enough. I reiterate what Tomazkid has already stated above about OT posts or facets thereof.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle