Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 150 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

clint

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  2 mins ago
 vox:  8 mins ago
 Gunnar:  11 mins ago
 pixie:  20 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  24 mins ago
 zipper:  59 mins ago
 Templario:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 GPTNederlands:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 janelancy:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Site Announcements
      /  Statement by Mikey_C.
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Seehund 
Re: Statement by Mikey_C.
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 15:44:00
#101 ]

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@falemagn

I didn't state that! How dare you suggest anything like that? Surely the list is 100% genuine

Of course the online list isn't 100% genuine. Some 70 signatures so far are duplicates or abuse. Those have naturally been weeded out before sending the signatures to AInc, BTW.

It's not a parliamentary election. It's an online protest.

Quote:
and nobody ever changed his or hers mind after digging deeper into the matter. Tsk Tsk

You're correct; In 4 years, not one single person has contacted me to get his/her name removed. On the contrary, it's people who previously believed that AInc's scheme was good that now see it wasn't good, and add their names.

But I like the way you're thinking: Either the evil subversive people who dare speak up against AInc (peace be upon them) divine policies are mentally challenged and are unable to understand what they're signing, or they later come to their senses and want to join the righteous path again... Or it's all fake.

OTOH, I do wonder about the mental capabilities of the few people who chose to add their names on the dotted line signifying "I agree with this", and then post comments saying "I don't agree with this, go AInc go!" (or in your case; snide remarks about the petition author).*

But what this has to do with Mikey_C or you not being moderators any more escapes me. Perhaps you could enlighten the thread participants exactly why you brought it up here and now?

*edit: those who post such comments together with their signature in the petition form, that is.

Last edited by Seehund on 17-Oct-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
GuruMeditation 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 15:49:54
#102 ]

@Seehund

Then let me be the first to ask you to remove me from your list. I'll PM you with the details.

So there's no misunderstandings, I changed my mind a good while ago (12+ months) about being on that list, but I've been busy with other things.

Last edited by GuruMeditation on 17-Oct-2006 at 03:52 PM.

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." Theodore Roosevelt, speech in Paris, 1910

Seehund 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 15:59:17
#103 ]

Comments removed: Reasons....

Quote:
Flame/Attacks: Do not flame! Flaming refers to derogatory, abusive, threatening, sarcastic, rude, or otherwise mean-spirited messages directed at members/users. Be cautious when using sarcasm and humour. Without facial expressions and tone of voice, they do not translate easily over the Internet in posts and may be perceived as flaming. Report the flame posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member so that the situation can be dealt with immediately.

Site Netiquette: We share one common ground, we are all Amiga users! Respect other opinions, even though you may not agree. Everyone is entitled to their say, but please do so in a courteous manner. Off-topic posts will be moved to the proper forum, and further action may be taken against repeat offenders.

It's easy to flame someone if you disagree, but remember, that type of behaviour is strictly prohibited. We come from different locations, we are a mix of ages, and our backgrounds vary. Take that into consideration before you click the post button. A moment of thought is better than hours of grief. The general rule of thumb is treat others as you would like to be treated.

Last edited by DaveyD on 17-Oct-2006 at 07:05 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:01:00
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

Well remove me if I’m on the list.

Plaz 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:01:51
#105 ]

@falemagn

Quote:
As said, look at the mirror.

Or at you avatar.... Can't beleive you actually reached for that bad pun.
Bag of popcorn over here if you please Mikey_C! Taking bets on post before thread moderation.......

Plaz

Last edited by Plaz on 17-Oct-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Jape 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:14:20
#106 ]

@Seehund

falemagn 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:20:46
#107 ]

@Plaz

Quote:

Or at you avatar.... Can't beleive you actually reached for that bad pun.

Ah ah. That might even be funny, if it weren't pathetic. You're the 2nd one who's got issues with my apparently shiny head (right drHuido? :D) (I say apparently, because the hair was just cut really short - but either way, I'd not see any issue there).

Oh, if you want suggestions on how to pick chicks up, just ask me via PM, or ask drHuido.

~~ Henry Ford

tomazkid 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:22:34
#108 ]
Team Member

@Thread

Now, this thread seems to have gone completely OT.

Whatever you feel about Mike and Mikey, you're free to say so
as long as you do it respectfully.

They both have done a tremendous amount of work here on aw.net over the years, and they have decided that they don't have the motivation and/or time for it anymore.
let's respect that.

After all, being a moderator/admin at aw.net isn't a career, it is an interest in trying to do something for the Amiga community.
That deserves some respect imho.

Regarding bananas: The dancing banana is one of aw.net's smileys, and we do not edit/remove our own smileys.
We do however, remove inbedded banana-images (and other images as well), every now and then

Regarding TOS: Loopholes in the TOS are not there for users to look for and abuse, the loopholes are there for the moderators to apply.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:30:11
#109 ]
Cult Member

@Seehund

Quote:

Edit: Wasn't it Voltaire who said "I don't like what you're saying, but I'm prepared to debate on AW.net for your right to say it?"

I'm not questioning your right to say what you said. I don't even disagree with what you said - I just think it shouldn't have been posted to this thread (or any thread, for that matter).

You're doing what you always blamed Mikey_C for - enforcing the "camp" mentality. Your posts just confirmed to several people in here that there are anti-whatnot "idiots" (not my wording) that need to be dealt with. Your post is another reason for some of the users here to ignore whatever useful things you may contribute to future threads and discuss your social habits ("I bet he's beating women!") or your affilation with moobunny instead.

I can't see much difference between what the "red cheerleaders" are doing ("he's not with us, so he's the enemy and needs to be attacked!") and what *you* are doing ("they're not as enlightened as me and my friends, so I need to shove that fact down their throats at every opportunity! TERON BOARDS!!1!!").

Quote:

I don't think Fabio's only defending me or any other single person. It's about anyone being allowed to express their opinion,

No, it's about the need to adopt to a community's social standards and unspoken rules (can't think of a better wording, sorry) if one wants to be taken seriously by said community.

"Red cheerleader" or not, most of the people visiting aw.net expect a certain level of politeness and tolerance when reading the forums. Heck, lots of people had to change their avatars because pictures of bikini-clad women were apparently too offensive for some of the regular visitors.

By constantly ignoring the standards of the majority here, you get predictable results (public heart attacks, insults, threads going down the drain) and make sure your actual point gets ignored by lots of people.

falemagn 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:34:00
#110 ]

@cgutjahr

You keep avoiding answering to a very simple question: is it only allowed to be sad for Mikey_C's departure from his moderator position? Can not someone who's happy about it state it loud and clear in this thread? Please, respond straightly.

~~ Henry Ford

Plaz 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:34:12
#111 ]

@falemagn

Quote:
Ah ah. That might even be funny, if it weren't pathetic. You're the 2nd one who's got issues with my apparently shiny head (right drHuido? :D) (I say apparently, because the hair was just cut really short - but either way, I'd not see any issue there).

Yeah I know, it was too easy. Very nice to see your sense of humor here though. I like it. And their's No problem at all with your shiny head. Mine's kind of shiny too and it' aint because I cut it short

Quote:
Oh, if you want suggestions on how to pick chicks up, just ask me via PM, or ask drHuido.

Thanks, but my wife and kids might get upset by the idea. Odd that you would bring up such a subject. Do you pimp on the side?

Plaz

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:35:42
#112 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

I can’t agree more whit that comment.

falemagn 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:45:09
#113 ]

@Plaz

drHuido understood what I meant.

~~ Henry Ford

hatschi 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 16:51:23
#114 ]
Elite Member

@falemagn

Quote:
drHuido understood what I meant.

Maybe you want to nominate him for the upcoming "new moderator-poll"?

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 17:00:00
#115 ]
Elite Member

@Seehund

Quote:
before sending the signatures to AInc

OK, when was or will this be send to Amiga Inc exactly? You've been running the petition for 4 years now, so when will the petition be final and the results of your efforts made public? Four years is a long time, maybe long enough for somebody to not care about the platform at all anymore, enough even forget there ever was a petition someone signed.

And BTW your Pegasos link is broken.

Last edited by MikeB on 17-Oct-2006 at 05:01 PM.

wegster 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 18:23:51
#116 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Come on guys. Say your piece and move on..the thread is about Mikey_C leaving the Staff, not about petitions, not liking the way someone words something, or anything else. While I understand some of you may feel strongly, either positively or negatively, about Mikey and/or MikeB leaving AW Staff, let's keep at least reasonably on topic and stop the nitpicking and sniping back and forth. If you have something to say to Mikey, within the guidelines of the TOS, then say it, but don't prolong the sniping back and forth with other users forcing us to clean house in what should be a relatively simple thread and topic.

Mikey - Cya in IRC, and thanks for your past contributions. I hope at some point you might be motivated to continue articles such as http://samba.amigaworld.net and others...you certainly do well with that, even though we have our differences elsewhere.

MikeB - good luck in your present and future endeavors. Now leave Seehund's petition alone please

Seehund 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 18:31:29
#117 ]

[offtopic stuff combined in one post]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Seehund

Well remove me if I’m on the list.

What do you mean, "if"?
Please PM me your name and I'll have a look.

@GuruMeditation (and maybe @NutsAboutAmiga too): Note that whether your name can be removed from the online list hosted at petitiononline.com is dependent on the PO management, which seems to have been AWOL for a while now. Your signature will not be included in anything sent to AInc from now on though. (Thanks GuruMeditation, I got your PM.)

@MikeB
Quote:
OK, when was or will this be send to Amiga Inc exactly?

http://amigapop.8bit.co.uk/news.html

It will continue to be sent at highly irregular intervals when and as long as I can be ####d. :)

(Luckily, thanks to that despicable stalker type publishing public documents, some functional e-mail addresses to AInc and their VC management are now known. So now I might be ####d a bit more often. Maybe.)

Quote:
You've been running the petition for 4 years now, so when will the petition be final and the results of your efforts made public?

Ask the petition recipients. This petition is "final" when the petitioners' goals have been met, of course: When AmigaOS can also be developed and is also available for sale for competitive hardware on an open "non-Amiga" hardware market.
If that will ever happen is, again, up to the petition recipients.

Quote:
Four years is a long time, maybe long enough for somebody to not care about the platform at all anymore,

I agree. Funnily enough, you seem to be more engaged in this issue now than I have been myself for quite some time (a nice surprise, I suppose), and I only bring up the subject when it's actually relevant.

Quote:
And BTW your Pegasos link is broken.

In the petition text? Thanks for the reminder, but I'm afraid that couldn't be changed by anyone else but the petitiononline.com management, which lately has been just as unresponsive as AInc. Anyway, it's soon the year 2007, and PPC in general including the Pegasos has lost most of it's relevance for a rebirth of any commercial niche desktop OS, so that one detail doesn't make much difference either way. Regardless of hardware or CPUs, the point of the petition still stands though: don't deliberately and arbitrarily limit the hardware base for AmigaOS.

[/offtopic]

Rit 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 18:33:34
#118 ]

Cheers Mikey

Hope your'll stay around..

Edit: And MikeB too

Last edited by Rit on 17-Oct-2006 at 06:35 PM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 19:42:31
#119 ]
Cult Member

@Seehund

Just a quick note: I'm MORE sure than ever that it was the right thing to sign the petition those four years ago (has it really been that long, wow). So, do not remove my name from it.

You hit a nail on the head and did a good deed. I hope the goal is accomplished one day, even if I don't think the petition will make much more difference now (its biggest impact was when it was new and the community to get names from was larger), other than raise some awareness by staying online and still getting linked to.

The petition IMHO was a good thing to do back then and history proved it right - which, even though good for the petition and people behind it in some way, is a sad thing for the computer we loved. Amiga would have been better off with a parent company that would not have insisted upon such a licensing policy. Nothing good, no promised consumer protection especially, has come out of that policy.

tomazkid 
Posted on 17-Oct-2006 20:04:23
#120 ]
Team Member

@Seehund

Quote:
Edit: Wasn't it Voltaire who said "I don't like what you're saying, but I'm prepared to debate on AW.net for your right to say it?"

Nah, that was Seehund

This is the original English version afaik:

Quote:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I like that quote though, and yes, I try to moderate after it too .

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle