Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 117 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 pavlor:  12 mins ago
 Birbo:  13 mins ago
 Hypex:  17 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  29 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Vista Pro and OS4 Final...how to?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
scabit 
Vista Pro and OS4 Final...how to?
Posted on 19-Jan-2007 3:00:26
#1 ]

In one of the newsgroups, I saw that someone had gotten Vista Pro to work under OS4 final by editing the VistaPro binary file and changing "Workbench" to "FakeBench", and then setting up the program ModePro to set a screen compatible for VistaPro (a fakenative mode) with the name "FakeBench".

Problem...I have VistaPro 3.0 and when I search the binary, I do not ever find an instance of "Workbench" in ascii anyywhere in the code!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

Profile     Report this post  
painter 
Re: Vista Pro and OS4 Final...how to?
Posted on 19-Jan-2007 3:10:20
#2 ]
Cult Member

@scabit

KIn os4 final all you need to do is set up modepro for the vista screens. I'm using VistaPro3.0 and i just set up modepro for that and vista runs smoothly. Even loads dems so i ca see them. Only problem i get is an error loading default dem at start. Probably my config file.

painter

scabit 
Posted on 19-Jan-2007 17:09:41
#3 ]

@painter

You wrote Quote:
KIn os4 final all you need to do is set up modepro for the vista screens.

Thanks...I'll give it a try when I get home rom work...

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 20-Jan-2007 4:49:00
#4 ]

@painter

Hmmm...I'm having a little trouble...but some success getting Vistapro to work. Here's what I'm finding....

To use VistaPro under OS4 Final

1) Go to prefs/compatibility and disable Vistapro for JIT emulation. I've never even come close to getting it to work without doing this.

2) Set up ModePro to trigger on Program Name VistaPro3.0 (in my case) and promote using a requester. Any other way locks up the AmigaOne....I've tried many ways to use preconfigured screens but nothing works unless I allow screen selection via the requester.

3) Be sure to set a large stack size for VistaPro...I have 300000, in the Vistapro tooltype.

4) Start VistaPro from workbench.

You will see a DSI error on startup and a visit from the GR. Click Ignore DSI errors.
Next I get two "error of type program" errors. These do not destroy the stack or redzone, so you can select "continue program" from GR.

You will then get the Modepro requester. I find that it shows me all 6 of my fakenative modes for 640x400 with no distinguishing differences. Maybe one of them is Ham or Ham-8...but they are all labelled identically, no mode ids visible or anything. Having tried each one at a time, I find it better to simply go with the Radeon 640x480 8 bit mode.
Another Modepro requester appears. Vistapro opens two screens you see, one for its menu/operations screen, and one for its rendering screen. Again I simply select Radeon 640x480 8 bit.

VistaPro appears! Hurray!

Now, I select the GC Panel menu (note - menus overwrite each other on the display...redraw seems to not work right....not sure how this can be fixed. Anyway, I then select a render mode of 256Color DBLNTSC hi-res interlaced (640x400). Select Okay. Now go to the Load menu and load a DEM file.
Note - for me, the rectangle that shows your DEM overview in the Vistapro main screen always remains gray....does anyone know how to change the color pallete or whatever to get this to display properly?
Select the RENDER button. Wait a minute till done. Select VIEW and there you will see your rendered dem image in all its glory...well...some of its glory...being only 256 colors.

Questions....how can I save my settings or change tooltypes in Vistapro to have it always use the same ones? The manual does not have a section on tooltypes....and the ones in the Vistapro icon do not provide all that I am looking for....
How can I deterine which of my fakenative modes is ham or ham-8 so I can use it with Vistapro? Remember, Modepro will show me the details of fakenative screens if I select Promotion - screenmode. But using this setting always cases the A1 to lock up when running Vistapro. And when I use the requester method, I only get the name "fakenative 640 x 480" for each of the 6 screenmodes it finds for that resolution when the requester appears.

Well, its a start....even without JIT it runs much faster than my 68040 based A1200!

Scott

Last edited by scabit on 20-Jan-2007 at 04:50 AM.

Jape 
Posted on 20-Jan-2007 7:47:50
#5 ]

@scabit

Well, i cannot run it..
It starts but immediatly opens up reguester "Not enought chip memory - Reducing screen height".

If i use memhack, no help
If i add "addchipmem 2" to setpatch cmd in startup-sequence, no help

I Have tried all modes, no go, please tell me how to run it??
I'm trying to run VistaPro 3.0

BillE 
Posted on 20-Jan-2007 15:23:04
#6 ]

@scabit

After disabling JIT and setting up modepro, I can get Vista Pro 3.05 to run.

I seem not to need to use a requester it just opens on a Radeon 640x480 8 bit screen straight away.

It is nice to see Vista after so long, I could never get it to run on my classic after using a graphics card. So great to see it on OS4.

That is about as far as I get though, how did you manage to load a DEM file ?

The menus do not work, they open but do not respond when you click on anything, and they don't close either.

Bill

tbrminsanity 
Posted on 20-Jan-2007 15:28:18
#7 ]

It almost sounds like they are using WindowsBlinds on Vista to make it look and run like OS4.0. I currently do that with WinXP.

Palm 3.5.3
Computers:
Cymru

scabit 
Posted on 20-Jan-2007 18:26:16
#8 ]

@BillE

Quote:
The menus do not work, they open but do not respond when you click on anything, and they don't close either.

Hold down the right mouse button...KEEP IT HELD DOWN....now moveto the menu and slide down to the selection you wish to choose. The items will highlight as you run the pointer over them. Let go of the right mouse button when you have chosen the item you wish to select.

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 20-Jan-2007 18:32:56
#9 ]

@Jape

Quote:
It starts but immediately opens up reguester "Not enought chip memory - Reducing screen height".

I have added the chipmem using c:setpatch ADDCHIPRAM 2 QUIET at the beginning of my startup sequence. I DO NOT use memhack normally.
Sounds like you copied Vistapro over from an existing configuration perhaps? Mine always opens on the lowest screen settings it can muster...hat is the default when you do not have any settings saved. Or perhaps you have something in your icon tooltypes that is selecting a higher resolution screen? Take a look and let me know. I'd like to know what those tooltypes are so I don;t have to change settings every time I start the program.

Anyone getting the firecracker24 or other graohics card menus? They do not appear on my display, but Vistapro 3.05 is designed to render in 24 bit mode...if you have a firecracker 24 card. Wonder if we can find a way to fool it.....

Scott

BillE 
Posted on 20-Jan-2007 19:30:24
#10 ]

@scabit

> Hold down the right mouse button...KEEP IT HELD DOWN

Aha, I am so used to sticky menus now I never thought of that. The menus still seem to not want to close after clicking them though.

I can load a DEM now and then go through the motions of a render but the result is just a black screen. Maybe the rendering screen does need to be a FAke Native one ?

Bill.

DWolfman 
Posted on 20-Jan-2007 20:59:39
#11 ]

I've run it here, and I didn't have to do anything special. Don't recall getting any DSIs, or having to turn off JIT. Runs fairly fast too. I uploaded a couple of screenshots, and had a thread running here.

The first thing that everyone is doing wrong: ONLY USE FAKENATIVE MODES with it. With a FakeNative mode, the menus will work correctly.

See the other thread for what else is known so far.

number6 
Posted on 20-Jan-2007 22:47:01
#12 ]
Elite Member

@thread

You don't need Modepro to run VistaPro 3.x.
You also do not need to enter the program in prefs/compatibility.

(01)Open Prefs/GUI/Control
(02)Checkmark the boxes for "Mode Promotion" and "Planar screens on RTG". Save.
(03)Open Prefs/Screens
(04)Add a screen with name "VistaPro 3.0" (note exact spelling/spacing).
(05)At right under "Display" give the screen a title if you like
(06)At right under "Display screen mode" choose P96-0:FAKENATIVE:640x480
(07)Cycle the gadget underneath to read "always"
(08)Cycle the gadget underneath "Font" to read "never". Save.
(09)If you haven't already, rename either executable to "VistaPro3.0" to match the info file name
(10)Start the program

The only thing I noticed, is that the program only randomly exits cleanly, regardless of whether I entered the program in Prefs/compatibility or not and regardless of which version of the program I used.
Please report any of your results here. I'm curious whether this works for everyone.

Jape 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 15:18:46
#13 ]

@scabit

Erm, i don't know what tooltypes Vista has, can anyone give a hand here

painter 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 16:48:28
#14 ]
Cult Member

@number6

just tried your technique which is the sama as i used on update 3 (excpet for the reanaming of executables)and VistaPro does not start. The system slowly grinds to a halt and I have to reboot. no gurus. while modepro works fine for me. I'm not sure which executables you talk of the vistapro prog file is na,ed VistaPro3.0.

painter

number6 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 17:24:41
#15 ]
Elite Member

@painter

I checked every feature of this program (VistaPro 3.05) and every feature works perfectly. Every menu is displayed perfectly and every screen, including the render screen works perfectly with this one simple screen added to prefs/screens.

Possible areas where this might have failed for you:
(1)Do NOT put modepro in WBstartup. You can always start it manually from the commodities drawer when you need it.
(2)Yes. The executable I am using (tried both and both fine) is the .881 version named "VistaPro3.0".
(3)Note step (4) above. "Add a screen with name "VistaPro 3.0" (note exact spelling/spacing)." There is a [space] between the "o" and the "3".

Let me know if you still have a problem with this. If you get it running, I'll
fill you in on the valid render screen choices from the "GrMode" menu.

scabit 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 18:21:21
#16 ]

@BillE

Quote:
I can load a DEM now and then go through the motions of a render but the result is just a black screen. Maybe the rendering screen does need to be a FAke Native one ?

No, I can render to a Radeon 25Color 640x480 screen just fine...but be sure you have set up VistaPro to do so in the Graphics Control Panel menu. That is, pick 256C, and DBLNTSC 640x400.

Scott

scabit 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 18:34:34
#17 ]

@number6

Quote:
(06)At right under "Display screen mode" choose P96-0:FAKENATIVE:640x480

Small problem with that....I have 6 identical screen modes named "P96-0:FAKENATIVE:640x48" and selecting any of them causes nothing to appear in the text box once they have been selected. I have Fakenativemodes=Yes in my Radeon monitor tooltype...and have done what you describe above in prefs/screens. Fakenative modes are not an option for some reason for my prefs/screens. (I have taken modepro out of my WBstartup drawer and rebooted as well, same thing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

painter 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 20:16:55
#18 ]
Cult Member

@number6
Doesn't work, the system locks up and i have to reboot with the reset button. Interestingly I did have it working with update 3.
i only use modepro from my dock I don't put it in startup.
painter

Last edited by painter on 21-Jan-2007 at 08:17 PM.

number6 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 20:23:50
#19 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
Small problem with that....I have 6 identical screen modes named "P96-0:FAKENATIVE:640x48" and selecting any of them causes nothing to appear in the text box once they have been selected.

That is normal.
I've clicked on both the 1st and last entry for "P96-0:FAKENATIVE:640x480" and used both successfully.
Quote:
I have Fakenativemodes=Yes in my Radeon monitor tooltype.

Doesn't matter. I have done this from reboot with tooltype set to both "yes" and "no". Mine is set to "no".
What IS important is that you use the settings from my first post.
Using "default" in the gadget where I said to use "always" would be more than enough to keep this from working.

Additional note:I have Micro A1-C with radeon 7000, just in case the tooltype "Fakenativemodes" is graphics card dependent regarding functionality.

Last edited by number6 on 21-Jan-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Last edited by number6 on 21-Jan-2007 at 08:26 PM.

BillE 
Posted on 21-Jan-2007 20:35:49
#20 ]

@scabit

> No, I can render to a Radeon 25Color 640x480 screen just fine...

I guess you meant 256 colour screen not 25

That never worked for me. I have now tried ModePro using FakeNative Modes and that seems to work OK, and the menus work too, even if they are not sticky.

Yet the other method using Screens Prefs seems not to work at all, I just hear a click - does Vista use audio for something, and then nothing happens. I do not get a Reaper but the WB is effectively frozen and I have to reboot.

Bill.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle