Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 111 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  34 mins ago
 OlafS25:  56 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 1 min ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 Tpod:  2 hrs 51 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 56 mins ago
 Birbo:  3 hrs 11 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 MarcioD:  5 hrs 5 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /   Sam440EP team news
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
DBAlex 
Re: Sam440EP team news
Posted on 14-Feb-2007 23:39:12
#21 ]
Cult Member

@sicky

Quote:
But hardly been professional have they?

Don't you think they've been more professional than Amiga Inc though? At least they give regular announcements and actually produce the goods so to speak...!

(They have a good track record with the Pegasos... I wouldn't personally mind seeing OS4 on the Efika or Pegasos III - I think its time to put differences aside and move the platform on as a whole)

And good news about the SAM440... Can't wait to buy one in April (Hopefully not April 1st)

Profile     Report this post  
Troels 
Posted on 14-Feb-2007 23:42:23
#22 ]
Elite Member

Some positive news from Hyperion, Amiga Inc and Acube would be very welcome.

we need more users...now!

jahc 
Posted on 14-Feb-2007 23:57:15
#23 ]
Elite Member

@Comi

ACube just responded to a message I left them a week or two ago as well. They said that they were hoping to release an update in a few days about dev boards.

Interesting 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 0:31:22
#24 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@jahc

Quote:
They said that they were hoping to release an update in a few days about dev boards.

I know that just made your day Jahc!

Rob 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 2:19:30
#25 ]
Elite Member

@DBAlex

Quote:
Don't you think they've been more professional than Amiga Inc though?

We wern't talking about Amiga here. At least on the most part Amiga keep their trap shut these days. Much of BBRV announcements are just waffle and flaming against other parties in the Amiga market.

They do not do themselves any favours with the posts they make here, and in the long run they may cause damage to Genesi's business if they keep up this kind of behaviour. Of course it is their business and they can chose to behave how they like.

gary_c 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 2:55:16
#26 ]
Cult Member

@Rob
Quote:
They do not do themselves any favours with the posts they make here, and in the long run they may cause damage to Genesi's business if they keep up this kind of behaviour.

Keep in mind how much negativity they've had to contend with every time they've posted here. Imagine how different the situation would be -- and how different the tone of BBRV communication would be -- if people were simply open to any capable company with potential products instead of automatically seeing BBRV as the enemy. Not to say that BBRV are innocent lambs by any means; but I do think they've reacted to the environment, and did not just start from zero with the idea of alienating people. Water under the bridge now though.

Quote:
Of course it is their business and they can chose to behave how they like.

It seems they are finally getting the message that there isn't much reason for Genesi to be involved with the Amiga community as represented at Amigaworld.net.

-- gary_c

number6 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 3:26:59
#27 ]
Elite Member

@gary_c

Quote:
It seems they are finally getting the message that there isn't much reason for Genesi to be involved with the Amiga community as represented at Amigaworld.net.

Or it could be they have gone silent because they are restricted from posting for 11296 days, according to their profile:
http://amigaworld.net/userinfo.php?uid=5087

gary_c 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 4:17:08
#28 ]
Cult Member

@number6

They made their own decision; it wasn't a result of restriction. The restriction -- essentially a closing of their account -- came about separately for another reason but at about the same time. Ask the site owner for details if you like.

-- gary_c

elatour 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 5:14:49
#29 ]
Cult Member

@gary_c

Huh?! So they no longer wanted to post and wanted to ensure that the account name would not be recreated by someone else upon it's deletion and then used to misrepresent their views on things?

Hmmm... All of this has a pungent smell to it.

Last edited by elatour on 15-Feb-2007 at 05:16 AM.

gary_c 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 5:59:30
#30 ]
Cult Member

@elatour

That's a reasonable guess but not the case. Sorry but the information (from the source) was communicated privately and I can't give any details. It's up to the parties involved if they want to do that.

-- gary_c

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 7:05:25
#31 ]
Team Member

@gary_c

* sigh * How sad this all is.

Amiga 1200

Swisso 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 7:32:59
#32 ]

@wegster

Yep, nice job too

er....CDTV!

Swisso 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 7:35:33
#33 ]

@CodeSmith

Existing users desperately need a fix for their broken cpu's, and some may want to upgrade

er....CDTV!

ironfist 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 10:09:58
#34 ]
Cult Member

fairlanefastback:
Let's just say that AmigaWorld-staff didn't want to remove
BBRV's account, but there were other "interests" in the
whole mess..

Restricting accounts to tens of thousands of days is a way
for the staff not to make author-less topics and posts. They
did the same thing with mr.calibra after he requested his
account to be removed.

Gleng 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 10:31:48
#35 ]

@gary_c
Quote:
They made their own decision; it wasn't a result of restriction.

That's really quite sad. I enjoyed reading BBRV's posts, and the resulting reactions. Although I must admit, I rarely understand their blog. It seemed like they were the only ones with any positive, if sometimes misguided, energy left.

Oh well. MorphOS and Genesi seem to be looking at a reasonably bright future now, so BBRV's attentions are best spent elsewhere.

Last edited by Gleng on 15-Feb-2007 at 10:35 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 10:46:21
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Sam440EP with a vague possibility of a OS4.0 license or a PS3 with Linux? Hmmmm... Tough one that

adiaux 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 10:52:35
#37 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@gary_c

Quote:

Or it could be they have gone silent because they are restricted from posting for 11296 days, according to their profile:
http://amigaworld.net/userinfo.php?uid=5087

Not true. I have seen some mail conversation between DaveyD (the owner of this site) and BBRV on this subject.

BBRV has withdrawn from this site by their own free will. The removal of BBRV's account (the 12000 days "restriction" is in practice a *deletion* combined with a name protection for the future) was the result of a *mutual agreement*. Ask DaveyD yourself if you don't believe me.

OK, here is my interpretation of what happened, based on posts, mails, etc from various parties: Genesi's/BBRV's presence here on this site was something of an experiment; an evaluation of the OS4 community, to see whether views and opinions had changed since the OS4 situation had become more obvious and well known. As was their intended involvement with OS4; it was never about money, but about people, about community. They *spend* money on Amiga communities, they don't *make* money on them. What they want in return is engagement, involvement, gained momentum for all their power efforts, and nice words to be spread throughout the world about it all. But the actions and feedback they got from users here, and some AW.net moderators as well(!), made it clear to them that this would hardly be possible in the OS4 community. They tried several times, but discussions immediately descended into irrational cultist flamewars, threads were locked on sight, and the attention this got from "the outside world" made Genesi look like being associated with loonies. I guess they finally made the conclusion that it wasn't worth it.

During the last three months alone, Genesi have donated ~$2.900USD to various Amiga-community related areas (AmigaWorld, Utility Base, MorphZone, Amiga Lemon, AROS), and on top of that they have also donated 35+ EFIKA boards to Amiga community developers and users. This should be food for thought of those members (and also moderators(!)) who cried "advertising, ADVERTISING!!, quick - remove - delete - ban and punish!" as soon as BBRV tried to simply *discuss an idea* how the Efika could help our platforms move ahead. "Don't come here advertising your stupid blog and Efika, like anyone cares about your stupid ####", etc. Maybe you should also know that in conjunction to their withdrawal from this site, they also made a final £100 donation to AmigaWorld.net. That donation most certainly exceeds the total value of OS4-related Efika sales with about £100 (that is: 0 units sold, which is fine, since their presence here never was about advertising or trying to sell a product, no matter what some of you claim). Think about that balance.

Genesi is more convinced than ever that it would be possible for them to release OS4 for the Efika, and from what I know of the plan, it sounds very doable and with quite descent chances of succeeding (and I regret that discussions about this subject has been banned on this site, since I think this is a subject well worth discussing and of interest to many Amigans). But I doubt they will bother trying now. It won't exactly be free of charge for them to do so, they will hardly make any money to speak of from it, which is fine, since it's about people, community, involvement, engagement, momentum, etc, not about scattered sales to OS4-nerds in the amount of a few hundreds of units. But now they have got a taste of what they *would* get out of it in return, and it will be *the very opposite* of what they hoped for.

Which is a shame really. It is still my firm belief that Genesi executing their right to take the sources from Amiga Inc would be *the only way* of solving the locked OS4 situation and letting Hyperion (or whoever) continue with developing and more importantly, letting them making a business out of OS4, by getting OS4 spread on all kind of PPC hardware (and even if no other hardware materializes, there would still be Genesi hardware, like the Efika (and offsprings) and Pegasos8641D etc, which is not bad at all). I know that many of you don't believe this for a second, and that the only thing a HW manufacturer has to do is to approach Amiga Inc with a license request and you are off to go. You are probably rejoicing now, and sure, take a few moments to be happy about this. But as the coming months will go by without any change regarding the OS4 situation, maybe the reality will start to sink in? Well I guess when that starts to happen, you would face two options: Either go here and keep talking in circles about OS4's glory future (and other inbreed'ed discussions in delirium and denial), or you could go here and jump on to the only Amiga NG branch with a future!

BigD 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 11:02:08
#38 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

All this guff/discussion would have a lot more clout if we actually saw a working prototype of one of these next-Gen Amiga boards! Otherwise it's just pointless conjecture and I'm getting a PS3 & Linux. OS4.0 will come along if and when Amiga Inc. actually want to sell us something

P.S. Any idea whether PS3 Linux includes support for USB Printers yet?

Last edited by BigD on 15-Feb-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 15-Feb-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Student_K 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 11:49:55
#39 ]

@takemehomegrandma

An interesting story you've got there. Maybe that you tell us it as it is, but there's a big flaw in it. I will try to explain why.

If I were in the position of BBRV, I would have done what you describe, but in the *opposite* order.

What I will describe here is something that the whole Amiga community should learn - constructive criticism.

Why try to talk to an already angry community, who has had their favourite company drawn to court (no regard to who has done what to who)? It's pointless to say the least. It's very pointless - if the real deal isn't something else (which I will not elaborate now).

What I should have done the day I found out that the Amiga community was interested in my hardware to run AmigaOS on, would be to get in contact with Amiga Inc first of all - before even mentioning anything to the community. Say to Amiga inc that it's a pity the past is what it has been, but that I now want to do something good of it instead. I have the hardware and you have the software. There's a community out there who want both. How about it? Shouldn't we cooperate and how shall we do it?

Now, I know that BBRV says they have been in contact before, and that they didn't get any answers. If that is the truth, then there is little that can be done. But it would surprise me if Amiga Inc wouldn't answer to something that could give them revenue. Of course that depends on how I present my ideas.

The day that both companies have met an agreement acceptable for both - *then* it's time to move out to the community and try to convince them that it's a good idea. I am sure that almost everyone would agree on that cooperation, if presented by both companies as partners instead of my own company as an old enemy of my believes.

It will never work to "buy" over the community. Who cares about free Efikas here and there? That doesn't solve anything.

No, Genesi and Amiga inc should first of all talk to each other, without involving the community.

That would have saved this place a lot of meaningless discussions.

I don't care who has done what. That's only between Genesi and Amiga Inc and no one else.

Cheers

Last edited by Student_K on 15-Feb-2007 at 11:50 AM.

ironfist 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 11:57:03
#40 ]
Cult Member

takemehomegrandma:
Actually, they got one AW.net-member to purchase an EFIKA
and since they were blamed for advertising they donated all
those 199 USD (100 GBP) to AW.net. Note here that 199 USD
is what fairlanefastback paid for the EFIKA. Genesi doesn't
make a profit of 199 USD for each EFIKA sold.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle