Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Troels:  37 mins ago
 Gunnar:  52 mins ago
 Rob:  58 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 39 mins ago
 Comi:  3 hrs 8 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 54 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Unfair bounty?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
jahc 
Unfair bounty?
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 0:12:38
#1 ]
Elite Member

Theres a new bounty for porting Sputnik from MorphOS to AmigaOS4: http://www.amigabounty.net/

However, the port wont be done unless the bounty reaches 3100 EUR! The MorphOS bounty is only 2,048.00 USD at the moment. Thats 1,559.05 EUR. And, he wants a free machine too. He did the hard work porting the original code from something completely alien to Amiga, and now he wants double to do a trivial (in comparision) port to OS4.. Is that fair?

Profile     Report this post  
jahc 
Re: Unfair bounty?
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 0:22:11
#2 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Marcik, if you're reading this, just tell people you dont want to do the port if you dont want to do it. I respect your work, and your decision to be MorphOS native, but why string everyone else along?

Interesting 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 0:29:59
#3 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@jahc

Quote:
Marcik, if you're reading this, just tell people you dont want to do the port if you dont want to do it. I respect your work, and your decision to be MorphOS native, but why string everyone else along?

or make a deal with for one of those developer boards. Later,after the project is done go by Jahc's example and you will get the donations..

billt 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 0:31:37
#4 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
To prevent money getting stuck in this bounty forever. If it doesn't reach requested minimum amount within 8 months, the time will either be extended, or money will be donated to various other OS4 projects.

If I donate to a bounty for Sputnik, then either I get it or I get a full refund. Any other terms such as above prevent me from donating.

Whether its fair or not, I don't know. It seems unlikely to happen, but if he's doing the work then he gets to dictate the terms. We don't have to like the terms, and if we don't then he'll likely choose not to do the work. I don't know anything about Sputnik, I'll have to read up on it to see if I even care. I don't care about Konqueror, and I don't care about Safari. I use Firefox because it hasn't failed on any web sites I visit, and both Konqueror and Safari have failed on some, I equate them both to about the level of website compatibility as IBrowse 2.3 (I haven't had a chance to use 2.4 yet) based on my experience with them.

d0c 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 0:37:39
#5 ]
Cult Member

yes its fair... pay and give the man what he wants!... getting things free like from aminet back in the old days are over. if we want to keep amiga alive its pay or die... its as simple as that...

Kicko 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 0:47:55
#6 ]
Elite Member

@d0c

Yes but still its much more then the mos bounty which makes it more difficult to reach that sum.

Akiko 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 0:56:31
#7 ]
Cult Member

Payment made.. I'm more than happy make a small contribution each month to this project.. l jus hope we all have the determination to make this happen, comon guys! :)

CD32/ FMV Module

Hans 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 1:31:53
#8 ]
Elite Member

@jahc

Well, his webpage says that an A1 has already been donated to him. It really sounds like he's not really interested in doing the OS4 port. Actually, I remember him saying that he's not interested and would only do it if he got paid. This bounty could be reached if enough OS4 users (310 users) donated say 10 EURO.

@billt

He's said that if the bounty isn't reached after 8 months, he'll either extend the deadline, or distribute the money amongst other projects to be chosen by Troels Ersking after consulting with us. That doesn't sound too bad.

Hans

Rob 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 1:57:58
#9 ]
Elite Member

@jahc

While it may seem unfair that OS4 users should pay more than the MorphOS users did, as Hans points out, the sum is not that unreasonable to achieve if we all pull together.

I have book marked the site so I can make a donation of 10 euro at the end of the month, I'll donate the same to you too as I was using WookieChant before my A1 went kaput. Hopefully I'll have the funds to get it fixed soon.

elatour 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 5:00:26
#10 ]
Cult Member

@jahc

I've pretty much given up on giving _more_ to AOS4 project bounties until I see some decent hardware produced, sold and supported by a reputable company for AOS4.

Troels 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 6:29:52
#11 ]
Elite Member

@jahc

A machine for Marcin has been taken care of and I will personally deliver it whenever he wants to start the project.

Whether Eur 3100 is a fair price is up to people to decide, if everybody would just donate something it would be easy to reach.
It is twice the price of what the MOS bounty has reached so far but I guess we're also more users and even more users waiting for a board to run OS4 on. Another thing is that he might be disappointed with the bounty size from the MOS community, who knows?

People will not get a refund if the target is not met, instead the money will be spread on other AmigaOS4 projects. I don't want to see $3000 sit on an account in 3 years doing nothing like the Amizilla effort be sure of that. The Amizilla bounty is actually high enough to pay Marcin two times but is bound to just sit idle and do nothing for the comunity.

Marcin wants to do the port but he also wants to earn money on his software without having to care about piracy.

Krashan 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 9:26:48
#12 ]

@jahc

Buy a Pegasos, get MorphOS for it and have Sputnik for free, I can see no problem...

JurassicC 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 9:31:49
#13 ]

@Troels

Quote:

People will not get a refund if the target is not met, instead the money will be spread on other AmigaOS4 projects. I don't want to see $3000 sit on an account in 3 years doing nothing like the Amizilla effort be sure of that.

See thats the part I don't agree with. I if contribute towards "Sputnik's" bounty and the guy fails to deliver or the bounty doesnt reach the amount for the work to be started in a reasonable time, then I may want a refund. I might not wish the money to go towards other projects as it was for spuntnik. Clarify this up and you'll get more people contributing.

--edit--
last para

Last edited by JurassicC on 15-Feb-2007 at 09:39 AM.
Last edited by JurassicC on 15-Feb-2007 at 09:37 AM.

hatschi 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 9:40:52
#14 ]
Elite Member

@JurassicC

Quote:
See thats the part I don't agree with I if contribute towards a Sputnik bounty and the guy fails to deliver or the bounty doesnt reach it amount for the work to be started in a reasonable time.

Fair enough. Does anybody know how this is regulated for Amizilla?
I tried to lookup their bounty details, but apparently the Amizilla website at DiscreetFx is down (or do I have the wrong link?).

SoundSquare 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 9:46:38
#15 ]

i am a Pegasos/MorphOs user, i will probably never use Sputnik on OS4 but i just made a little donation on this bounty, i really hope you OS4 users will get a chance to use Sputnik too. THIS is fair.

COBRA 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 9:51:50
#16 ]

@Krashan

Quote:
Buy a Pegasos, get MorphOS for it and have Sputnik for free, I can see no problem...

How can you say "for free", if you'd have to buy a whole machine for it?

Troels 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 9:56:27
#17 ]
Elite Member

@JurassicC

I had a feeling some people would have a problem with that soloution but it is the simplest way for me and would still help some other OS4 developments.

My reason for this is that I don't want to spend time doing this bounty and eventually see it do no good for the OS4 developers/users at all.

I personally can't see the problem if my 10 EUR is spend on other OS4 projects if this one should fail. Although I'm NOT rich 10 EUR is affordable to me and the main reason I don't donate more to OS4 projects is probably lazyness. Will have to change that this year

Last edited by Troels on 15-Feb-2007 at 10:00 AM.

ironfist 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 10:22:18
#18 ]
Cult Member

Many AmigaOS 4.0-people have many times said that there were
more AmigaONEs sold than Pegasos-machines running MorphOS.
I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, it's fair you guys pay
more. This is a way for marcik to get rid of the whole license-key
mess and piracy.

If every AmigaONE owner (about 1000 people) pay 3 EUR each the goal
is met. How much does IBrowse cost you, 55 EUR? Think about it.

JurassicC 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 10:26:35
#19 ]

@Troels

We raised somewhere between £200-£300 at BB1. I don't know the exact figure, Outcast knows as he dealt with the passing on of the monies. It went towards that sponsor a developer initiative. The guy that organised it dropped out of the forums years ago now and we never found out what happened to the money or what project or hardware it went towards sponsoring.

Not saying that your bounty would go the same way if the guy changes his mind or the full amount is not reached.

Samwel 
Posted on 15-Feb-2007 10:27:13
#20 ]
Elite Member

@ironfist

So I guess all 500 MOS users payed 3¤ aswell..?

EDIT: btw you can't expect all users to pay for these things. It never happens.
If we get more than 200 users paying 10¤ or more each I'll be surpriced.

Note that it could still reach 3000¤ as many no doubt will donate more than 10¤.

Last edited by Samwel on 15-Feb-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Last edited by Samwel on 15-Feb-2007 at 10:32 AM.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle