Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 BigD:  15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  17 mins ago
 kolla:  36 mins ago
 amigakit:  45 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  48 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 MickJT:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 outlawal2:  3 hrs 10 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
PosterThread
Samwel 
Re: ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Posted on 19-Jun-2007 21:54:03
#161 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

Alright, this is an out of context one-liner, but standing by itself its a ridiculous thing for anyone to say. Do we have the larger chat transcript as a whole? If, in context, it still holds the same implied meaning it has here then I don't see how we can take this company seriously.

This does not include any special drivers. Just the HAL and make OS4 bootable on
x86. No 68k emulation (Petunia) as this part is completely in PPC asm. A completely
functional and tested port would of course take longer. But obviously this wasn't
what Adam meant when making that statement.
I think umisef have said multiple times that the BIOS inits all the hardware so most
parts of the system does not need special drivers. Most hardware follows standards
when accessed.

The big problem with compiling OS4 for x86 other than endianess is that the kernel
has quite a bit PPC asm. Maybe a endian conversion could be put inside the HAL so
no changes would have to be made in any OS modules other than a recompile? Of
course this would mean that the speed would not be optimal. But I think a 2.6GHz
Core2Duo, for example, compared to a 1GHz G4 would make up for that speed loss.

Also if OS4 was compiled for x86 Mr Drummond could make use of the WinUAE JIT
when compiling E-UAE for OS4, increasing the speed even more when running
classic software.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

Profile     Report this post  
tonyw 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 1:54:54
#162 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Don't know Adam's full story, but here is what I know from the AmigaOne history:

Adam was working with (for?) MAI back in the days of the SE and XE design. Adam worked on the original Ethernet chip driver as well as on hardware design. Adam also was instrumental in getting the µA1 running and into production. In those days he was known as ACK on the beta and developer MLs.

AFAIK, "ACK Software controls" did not appear as a name until well after MAI closed.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

AmigaHeretic 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 2:41:55
#163 ]

@Moxee

Quote:
Hoax has not been proven. No one has been Scammed out of anything except for time possibly.

About the only thing we know for sure is the failure of self imposed deadlines [Hatschi's ACK timetable] and the resulting silence afterwards.

I agree with what you're saying.

But I have to think at some point we need to come together, maybe as site (Amigaworld.net) or maybe just as a whole community, and say "Hey, this needs to stop."

Where do we draw the line I guess is the question?

If this was DoomMaster posting and claiming to have another "Military" grade project, even if he wasn't asking for money, I think maybe his posts would get removed at somepoint.

And this comment is in general and not at ACK, I think a person that comes to small community like this and builds it up and lets it down, and does that over and over, is really hurting what is left of the community. Intentional or not, or good intentions or not. It's hurting us as a community. Look how many people were holding out for the Boxer and then gave up when it never showed up.

Should we just let it go on or should we as a group confront him and say, "Hey, we feel this is hurting us. Here's what we think would resolve the situation. Provide some proof that you haven't just been leading us around on a wild goose chase. If you can't provide any proof we'd like you to stop making claims in our community. Thank you."

Really doesn't seem that unreasonable to me.

Hans 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 2:59:33
#164 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

Quote:

tonyw wrote:

AFAIK, "ACK Software controls" did not appear as a name until well after MAI closed.

Actually, his company existed before then.

hatschi 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 7:38:15
#165 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

Hans wrote:
@tonyw
Quote:

tonyw wrote:

Actually, his company existed before then.

Indeed. Quoted from my post on the last page:

Quote:
In 2001, I left GM to start ACK Software Controls Inc.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 9:49:47
#166 ]

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
Indeed. Quoted from my post on the last page:
Quote:
In 2001, I left GM to start ACK Software Controls Inc.

But where s the evidence of this - aside from Adam's own postings (and Alumni statement - and who wants to say "..and now I run a UPS franchise" in their alumni statement?).

Ack Software Controls, Inc is a technology company - allegedly founded in 2001 which has no website, no (known) e-mail addresses, no entry in the Canada yellow pages, and no independent recognition on any website which does not simply lead back to a news item at an Amiga related website. (With the exception of a linux C page for the ethernet module of the A1-SE).
A google search reveals no independent evidence to even suggest, let alone demonstrate, that Ack Software Controls, Inc exists as a registered business entity.
If anyone has easy access to Canada's company name search facility NUANS this particular point could easily be confirmed either way.

In the recent (circa 2006) Alumni letter linked to above, Adam Kowalczyk, president of Ack Software Controls, Inc states "Recently ... and I have purchased a Mail Boxes Etc. store in Welland just to make life a bit more challenging.”
On 22nd May 2006 Ack Software Controls Inc announced AmigaOne CPU Module Demonstration Rescheduled - the new location: The UPS Store, Welland - a "Mail Boxes etc" store.

So, firstly - does Ack Software Controls Inc exist as a registered business entity?
Secondly, assuming it does exist as a registered entity, is Adam actually running a franchise operation UPS store full time and running Ack Software Controls, Inc in his spare time?
Given the low profile of the company can Ack Software Controls, Inc seriously be generating "current revenue figures that are at least $ 500,000.00 per year in revenue" as required by Amiga Inc (BM's answers to 25 questions))?

abalaban 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 10:52:11
#167 ]

@Boot_WB

Quote:
"current revenue figures that are at least $ 500,000.00 per year in revenue" as required by Amiga Inc (BM's answers to 25 questions))?

Did someone noticed that this $500,000.00 figure is exactly what AmigaInc is supposed to pay for Kent Arena right : $10M over 20 years ("Under the naming-rights deal, Amiga is obligated to pay $10 million over the next 20 years.", Seattle Times), strange match of the figures, isn't it ?

Ivan 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 12:47:05
#168 ]

@all

I can't believe people are still talking about this guy like he will ever produce anything for the amiga market. He's a con man and anyone defending him is a sucker. He's stolen amiga's from people (including me) and will never do a thing for the community. It dosent take years to repair boards and send them back to thier owners, no matter how many fathers you have died. We've seen nothing from him except alot of talk and thats all your ever going to see. The guy will scam you, ainc, hyperion, anyone he can.

hatschi 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 12:53:57
#169 ]
Elite Member

@Ivan

Quote:
He's a con man and anyone defending him is a sucker. He's stolen amiga's from people (including me) and will never do a thing for the community.

So you still didn't get back your board from him? Didn't he say on 16 April that he was going to ship it back? Have you heard anything from him since that date?

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 13:24:27
#170 ]
Team Member

@all
Quote:

hatschi wrote:
@Ivan

Quote:
He's a con man and anyone defending him is a sucker. He's stolen amiga's from people (including me) and will never do a thing for the community.

So you still didn't get back your board from him? Didn't he say on 16 April that he was going to ship it back? Have you heard anything from him since that date?

Do we have others who can come forward with direct experiences good or bad?

@Ivan

I know spending any more time on this for you would be a pain, but can you give us a timeline of your dealings with him? We can use this thread to reference back to in the future, sort of a history of the community's dealings & reference guide in essence. This is important info to compile IMHO.

@ackcontrls

Do you have any counterpoints? Care to converse with what sounds like a legit customer of yours to resolve the open issue with him? You give the time of day to glittering, Ivan sounds more deserving of it. Please return his equipment sir if what he posts is accurate!

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 20-Jun-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Amiga 1200

jorkany 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 13:32:06
#171 ]
Cult Member

@hatschi
Quote:
So you still didn't get back your board from him? Didn't he say on 16 April that he was going to ship it back?

Pretty funny when you consider he runs a UPS Store (formerly Mailboxes Etc.)

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 20-Jun-2007 13:43:51
#172 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@Moxee

Should we just let it go on or should we as a group confront him and say, "Hey, we feel this is hurting us. Here's what we think would resolve the situation. Provide some proof that you haven't just been leading us around on a wild goose chase. If you can't provide any proof we'd like you to stop making claims in our community. Thank you."

I totally agree.

Amiga 1200

Moxee 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 2:16:11
#173 ]
Team Member

@AmigaHeretic

Quote:

AmigaHeretic wrote:
@Moxee

Quote:
Hoax has not been proven. No one has been Scammed out of anything except for time possibly.

About the only thing we know for sure is the failure of self imposed deadlines [Hatschi's ACK timetable] and the resulting silence afterwards.

I agree with what you're saying.

But I have to think at some point we need to come together, maybe as site (Amigaworld.net) or maybe just as a whole community, and say "Hey, this needs to stop."

Where do we draw the line I guess is the question?

If this was DoomMaster posting and claiming to have another "Military" grade project, even if he wasn't asking for money, I think maybe his posts would get removed at somepoint.

I know that name, but I am unfamiliar with his postings.

Quote:

And this comment is in general and not at ACK, I think a person that comes to small community like this and builds it up and lets it down, and does that over and over, is really hurting what is left of the community. Intentional or not, or good intentions or not. It's hurting us as a community. Look how many people were holding out for the Boxer and then gave up when it never showed up.

Ah, the BoXeR. I was one of those waiting for it. And yes, I was disappointed.

Quote:

I wish I had a good answer to that. I believe he is working on something, but I wish he would toss us a carrot once in awhile to nibble on.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Moxee 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 2:36:43
#174 ]
Team Member

@Ivan

Quote:

I can't believe people are still talking about this guy like he will ever produce anything for the amiga market. He's a con man and anyone defending him is a sucker. He's stolen amiga's from people (including me) and will never do a thing for the community. It dosent take years to repair boards and send them back to thier owners, no matter how many fathers you have died. We've seen nothing from him except alot of talk and thats all your ever going to see. The guy will scam you, ainc, hyperion, anyone he can.

Please state your case, but leave the insults out.

Maybe some one should start taking statements from people who are making claims such as this. hatschi? Would fit in with your other list.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 5:03:49
#175 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

DoomMaster aka Doomy was an amusing troll from the old days. His main themes were that no amiga was or could be better than the A2000 (even the new AGA models were inferior to the A2000), and a fixation with "mil spec" computer chips.

sundown 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 5:36:48
#176 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Easy big guy, I don't know Ivan, but Kneedeep I do know & he has the same problem with Adam. Kneedeep sent his board to Adam about a year ago to be repaired & it's the same story, "I'll have it in the mail tomorrow", but it never arrives. I agree about the insults being left out, just tell your story. Any one of us would be upset to lose a $1000 board without a word.

Though there was a rumor that ack put the same "to" & "from" address on the package & ssolie was working hard to get the "to" address changed to his.

As far as proof of new h/w, after the joint venture announcment with AI, I think AI has the burden to show proof of new h/w, not ack.

sundown 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 5:44:40
#177 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

I seem to recall that doomy was upset because the newer models were surface mount & not hole-through components. I believe he was repairing systems & the surface mount boards he couldn't handle. I might be wrong, but it did make sense why he was pushing the 2000 at the time.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 14:24:00
#178 ]
Team Member

@Moxee

Quote:
I wish I had a good answer to that. I believe he is working on something, but I wish he would toss us a carrot once in awhile to nibble on.

Just curious Moxee, what gives you the belief he is working on something for the Amiga community? If there is a positive thing/circumstance we are not aware of to inspire that belief that you can you share with us?

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 14:30:34
#179 ]
Team Member

@all

Quote:
sundown wrote: I don't know Ivan, but Kneedeep I do know & he has the same problem with Adam. Kneedeep sent his board to Adam about a year ago to be repaired & it's the same story, "I'll have it in the mail tomorrow", but it never arrives. I agree about the insults being left out, just tell your story. Any one of us would be upset to lose a $1000 board without a word.

Ok thats two accusations that are very similar. I would like to suggest that if you are one of these gentlemen and are willing to stick by your stories as truth that you file a report with the local police in his area. If true a squad car visit to his UPS store may help get your boards back.

Amiga 1200

sundown 
Posted on 21-Jun-2007 16:07:25
#180 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

The situation is being handled in private.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle