Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
17 crawler(s) on-line.
 131 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 clint:  29 mins ago
 RickSkid:  39 mins ago
 bhabbott:  44 mins ago
 BigD:  47 mins ago
 Diane:  49 mins ago
 VooDoo:  53 mins ago
 A1200:  57 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  ACK customer and partner experience thread going forward
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
fairlanefastback 
Re: ACK customer and partner experience thread going forward
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 16:03:08
#61 ]
Team Member

@Chip

Quote:

Chip wrote:
@hatschi

Well, if you want you can put it to that list, he fixed my A1 in 2005. Well, I had to wait a lot for it , but finally I got the stuff and still works.

This is good to hear! When you say you had to wait a lot for it, did that include any broken promises along the way? Its good to see a positive but also important (IMHO) that we understand what it took to get there. But regardless this is good to hear for sure. What issue did he address BTW?

Amiga 1200

Profile     Report this post  
Hans 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 16:05:36
#62 ]
Elite Member

@DaFreak

Quote:

DaFreak wrote:
@Chip

Do you really know that it's YOUR working board? He could filched it from another one.. I don't trust somebody who needs years(!) for repair something.

Filching doesn't take a year, and you won't end up with satisfied customers if you claim you can repair boards when you can't.

I'm not suggesting that the delays in returning boards and his dealings with Jens regarding the A1200 expansion connectors are acceptable, but I can see how someone could manage things poorly. To me it looks like a case of poor time management and organisation skills. It's easy to forget that, for customers waiting for a fixed board, one week can seem a lot longer than for you (the person doing the fixing). Without an admin system in place for tracking what boards you've received, it's also easy to forget about boards and how long you've had them if you're really busy.

Not responding to emails/phone calls could be a result of frustration and having too much work. It does make Adam look bad though, and is not good customer service. In short, his poor performance doesn't necessarily mean that he's trying to rip people off; he's just not doing a good job of customer support and seems to have no idea how long he has had these boards.

My suggestion to those whose boards he said he's shipped: give shipping a few days for transport, and a week or so to sit around at customs (if you're outside of Canada). Ask him for a tracking number for whatever postal/courier service he used.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 16-Jul-2007 at 04:08 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 16:17:57
#63 ]
Team Member

@Hans

Quote:
Filching doesn't take a year, and you won't end up with satisfied customers if you claim you can repair boards when you can't.

Well I think the implication made there was more of a borrow from Peter to pay Paul scenario to silence the squeakiest wheel. At least as far as I read it. I don't see a line of satisfied customers so far and given the time involved its really unclear what ACK can fix and what it can't I think.

Quote:
Without an admin system in place for tracking what boards you've received, it's also easy to forget about boards and how long you've had them if you're really busy.

Do you know that they have no admin system in usage? It also sounds like you think ACK has a high volume of boards repair jobs, out of curiousity do we have a reason to think this?

Quote:
Not responding to emails/phone calls could be a result of frustration and having too much work. It does make Adam look bad though, and is not good customer service.

Frustration from what? They have only sought to increase their project list with these new machines for the Amiga community. That dosen't denote much frustration. And even if it does, how is this any of the customers fault?

Amiga 1200

Hans 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 16:29:44
#64 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Please don't try to read more into what I wrote than there actually is. You're nit-picking where it's not necessary.

Ok, to answer your questions:
- No, I don't know if he has an admin system in place; given his performance, I doubt it.
- No, I don't think that he has a high volume of boards coming through. It's irrelevant as you can do a poor job of fixing a few and getting them back in a timely manner. All you need is a lack of an admin system and a lot of other work that has a higher priority.
- Frustration because of bugs in hardware that's under development. Frustration at receiving continual emails from people, some of which are probably not very polite. Frustration with the difficulty of getting a license from Amiga Inc. Frustration with all the people calling you a fraud online and being unsympathetic regarding his father's illness. Use you're imagination; it's not very hard to find things that could get someone frustrated/upset.
- How is frustration the customers fault? Did I say this? I don't think that I even implied it. Some of the frustration will no doubt come from the emails being received with a feeling "they just don't understand the position I'm in." That does not make it the customer's fault, but it may be a contributing factor.

I can understand why people waiting for boards are frustrated and upset with the delays and his behaviour. I'm trying to get people to look at it from Adam's perspective. I doubt that he's out to #### people off.

The above doesn't make his behaviour right; it might make it understandable.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 16-Jul-2007 at 04:33 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 17:01:22
#65 ]
Team Member

@Hans

Quote:
Please don't try to read more into what I wrote than there actually is. You're nit-picking where it's not necessary.

Not trying to at all. So far all I have seen are a number of people who seem to have been grossly mistreated by a company in Canada that claimed to offer repair services. Money and equipment have been held for years supposedly in some cases. We have one person who recently said after a lot of time they got their board back, and working. Thats good to hear because it seems to lessen the chance that this is a purposeful scam. But regardless there is little defense in my mind to have been witholding money and equipment from people this long and along the way promise otherwise, supposedly multiple times, one person I believe said the promise emails had grown to be 7 occasions over time.

Quote:
It's irrelevant as you can do a poor job of fixing a few and getting them back in a timely manner. All you need is a lack of an admin system and a lot of other work that has a higher priority.

If I was out my board and hundreds of dollars and had an inbox full of promises I would greatly worry if there is a lot that should honestly be labeled higher priority over years. Why not return the equipment and money then and say "sorry we are too busy right now". This was an easy remedy always available to still at least be doing the right thing.

Quote:
Use you're imagination; it's not very hard to find things that could get someone frustrated/upset.

So you take out this frustration on those who did trust you with money and equipment? Its one thing in an instance or two, but over years, over and over? If someone frustrates me I still have responsibilites in life that I have and obligations to others, some may even be someone who frustrated me. But if I decide to run a service oriented business , like a repair business, I better get over that quick.

Quote:
I'm trying to get people to look at it from Adam's perspective.

He posts here on occasion and he has no problem with new machine announcements, he should have little issue articulating what occured here I would think. I think its a nice human quality to try to humanize this in a person's defense. I.E. its not ACK the company, its our community buddy Adam! But what about our other multiple community members this has hurt. I'm all for forgiveness, but first ACK (or Adam if insisted upon) needs to do something to earn it IMHO.

Amiga 1200

number6 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 17:19:36
#66 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Regardless...
Based on the "facts" stated that all AI announcements are made to bolster failing image, or create a new one:
The question to me is still "does Bill not feel this affects AI in any way"?
If I'm on Kent City Council and trying to put 2 & 2 together, this would be exceptionally disturbing to me.

terminator3 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 18:31:13
#67 ]

@fairlanefastback

I was one of the customers that purchased the A1 board from Livewire Systems though Adam / ACK.

I have made consistent efforts in trying to get:
- the DMA/USB fix done. I expect and expected to pay money and communicated so.
to this day it's not done. Number of reasons given everytime. I have been most flexible with schedule (time/day). Still nothing to this day. I think it will be 3 years now???
As you'd expect i'm fed up.
- get a better heatsink installed on CPU module.

so there you go - my personal experience.
Adam, if you're reading this then fix my machine and I'll make this public... I'm willing to drive to your place too!!! (no need to ship & package anything)
more comments available but I don't want to complain more and out of respect I will keep them private.

Last edited by terminator3 on 16-Jul-2007 at 06:33 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 18:32:52
#68 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

You're still reading too much into what I said. I am not trying to defend Adam's actions in any way, or suggest that customers of his are being unreasonable. I don't think that he's handled customer relations well; nor do I think that his announcements minus results are acceptable.

Look at what I wrote purely in terms of understanding Adam's behaviour. My only additional point is that I don't think he's trying to scam anyone; give delivery a few more days before "calling the police."

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@Hans

Quote:

Not trying to at all. So far all I have seen are a number of people who seem to have been grossly mistreated by a company in Canada that claimed to offer repair services. Money and equipment have been held for years supposedly in some cases. We have one person who recently said after a lot of time they got their board back, and working. Thats good to hear because it seems to lessen the chance that this is a purposeful scam. But regardless there is little defense in my mind to have been witholding money and equipment from people this long and along the way promise otherwise, supposedly multiple times, one person I believe said the promise emails had grown to be 7 occasions over time.

I repeat, I'm not defending him. However, he did some work on my A1 when I bought it from Livewire systems and he wrote some of the OS4 drivers for the A1. Don't believe Adam? Ask other members of the OS4 development team. It did take a while (several weeks IIRC) for me to receive the machine, but Justin Hemmings (of Livewire Systems) explained what was causing the delays .

Quote:

Quote:
It's irrelevant as you can do a poor job of fixing a few and getting them back in a timely manner. All you need is a lack of an admin system and a lot of other work that has a higher priority.

If I was out my board and hundreds of dollars and had an inbox full of promises I would greatly worry if there is a lot that should honestly be labeled higher priority over years. Why not return the equipment and money then and say "sorry we are too busy right now". This was an easy remedy always available to still at least be doing the right thing.

The response that you quoted above was to you suggesting that I thought that he had a high throughput, not whether or not his actions are acceptable. Of course returning the board and the money would have been a good idea. This just supports my notion that ACK has no admin system capable of tracking how long he's had boards for repair, etc.

Quote:

Quote:
Use you're imagination; it's not very hard to find things that could get someone frustrated/upset.

So you take out this frustration on those who did trust you with money and equipment? Its one thing in an instance or two, but over years, over and over? If someone frustrates me I still have responsibilites in life that I have and obligations to others, some may even be someone who frustrated me. But if I decide to run a service oriented business , like a repair business, I better get over that quick.

Once again, I'm not trying to defend his actions. I wrote that he could be behaving the way he does out of frustration. That makes it understandable; that doesn't make it right.

Quote:

Quote:
I'm trying to get people to look at it from Adam's perspective.

He posts here on occasion and he has no problem with new machine announcements, he should have little issue articulating what occured here I would think. I think its a nice human quality to try to humanize this in a person's defense. I.E. its not ACK the company, its our community buddy Adam! But what about our other multiple community members this has hurt. I'm all for forgiveness, but first ACK (or Adam if insisted upon) needs to do something to earn it IMHO.

So give the deliveries that he's promised enough time to get through customs and delivered. In the meantime, perhaps people should tone down the scammer claims. My one point through all of this is that I don't think he's trying to rip people off.

Perhaps I should repeat the following a few times so that people understand that I'm not trying to justify ACK/Adam's behaviour: The above makes it understandable; that doesn't make it right.

Hans

Hans 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 18:41:42
#69 ]
Elite Member

@terminator3

Does he have your machine? From your explanation it's a bit ambiguous. Three years is a ridiculous time.

Hans

terminator3 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 18:47:01
#70 ]

@Hans

I'm not willing to leave the machine for long period of time. I offered to drop it off and be gone for 5-6 hrs but never to leave it. I also offered to drop it off on saturday and pickup on sunday.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 19:25:01
#71 ]
Team Member

@Hans

Quote:
My only additional point is that I don't think he's trying to scam anyone; give delivery a few more days before "calling the police."

I understand you are saying he is not trying to scam anyone. But his motivations leave people in the same boat when it comes to the bottom line situation. One person has no machine since 2004 supposedly. Thats a very extreme situation. In the end, no matter his motiviation if repeated requests from not only the customers but the community at large does not yield the return of equipment the authorities may be the only option left. We can feel bad that ACK let it come to that, but glad if thats what it takes in the end to get the equipment (and possibly money) back to its rightful owners.

Quote:
However, he did some work on my A1 when I bought it from Livewire systems and he wrote some of the OS4 drivers for the A1.

Cool. So you are a second person who had success in a repair from him that we know of. Thats a second positive that can likely be added to hatshi's list. Its nice to see further evidence that they are capable of some repairs and indeed have completed at least two. And good to see that recent threads are bringing this to light as well. :)

Quote:
This just supports my notion that ACK has no admin system capable of tracking how long he's had boards for repair, etc.

The email communications from customers and back to customers with promises should help the company realize that they have had the equipment for quite a while no? Not to mention keeping track of that is ACK's responsibility anyway.

Quote:
That makes it understandable; that doesn't make it right.

Ok are we talking reasonably understandable? Because I would say not only is it not right but not reasonably understandable. If you mean "understandable" to convey ok this is why we think this unacceptable behavior is happening, that we somewhat can understand on an intellectual level the unreasonable cause, but the cause nontheless than I get what you mean.

Quote:
So give the deliveries that he's promised enough time to get through customs and delivered.

Again it just should be noted ACK said when stuff would get where and Adam did at one time run a shipping store, so he should be well familiar it would seem with any customs delays and requirements IMHO.

Lets hope ACK has already sent tracking # info to the involved folks and that things end well, for everyone, including ACK Software Controls. :)

Amiga 1200

Hans 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 19:53:35
#72 ]
Elite Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@Hans

Quote:
However, he did some work on my A1 when I bought it from Livewire systems and he wrote some of the OS4 drivers for the A1.

Cool. So you are a second person who had success in a repair from him that we know of. Thats a second positive that can likely be added to hatshi's list. Its nice to see further evidence that they are capable of some repairs and indeed have completed at least two. And good to see that recent threads are bringing this to light as well. :)

Sorry, it wasn't actually a repair job. He worked on my machine before I received it for the first time. I never sent it back to him. I can't remember exactly what he did to it. They didn't want to send it to me until they had a stable version of Linux running on it (this was back in early 2004, before OS4 was out).

Quote:
Quote:
That makes it understandable; that doesn't make it right.

Ok are we talking reasonably understandable? Because I would say not only is it not right but not reasonably understandable. If you mean "understandable" to convey ok this is why we think this unacceptable behavior is happening, that we somewhat can understand on an intellectual level the unreasonable cause, but the cause nontheless than I get what you mean.

I meant the latter (the cause). It's not reasonable to expect someone to wait years to get a machine back.

Quote:
So give the deliveries that he's promised enough time to get through customs and delivered.

Again it just should be noted ACK said when stuff would get where and Adam did at one time run a shipping store, so he should be well familiar it would seem with any customs delays and requirements IMHO. [/quote]
You can't actually estimate how fast things will get through customs. Often things pass through quickly, but unexplained delays happen regularly. I've had things take longer than expected several times.

Quote:

Lets hope ACK has already sent tracking # info to the involved folks and that things end well, for everyone, including ACK Software Controls. :)

I hope so too.

Hans

Chip 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 20:20:45
#73 ]
Cult Member

@dafreak:

Yes, I'm sure it's mine. When my machine arrived I took some picture including this: http://amigos.amiga.hu/chip/a1/02_felirat.jpg
The serial number is exactly the same as in this picture.

@jorkany:

No, I get it back in 2005.

@fairlanefastback

Yes, it did.
The issue was the Q1 fat has burned and had to be replaced. While the board was there he fixed the USB + DMA too.

jorkany 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 20:26:32
#74 ]
Cult Member

@Chip
Quote:
The issue was the Q1 fat has burned and had to be replaced.

I never realized the AmigaOne contained fat.

Chip 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 21:07:30
#75 ]
Cult Member

@jorkany

http://amigos.amiga.hu/chip/a1/01_alaplap.jpg

On the right side, close to the "CE" mark.

terminator3 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 21:29:57
#76 ]

@Chip

Hey did you keep the original fan on it (is it enough?)
Also, what do you do if some dust collects around it?
any way to remove the module (I think its bolted in) to clean up?
I also thought i'd ask what version of Linux (if any) are you running with kernel version?
do you experience crashes or lockups??? I do, and I never have before, any suggestions for the reasons behind it?
thank you in advance.

Tigger 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 21:37:00
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Chip

Quote:

Chip wrote:
@jorkany

http://amigos.amiga.hu/chip/a1/01_alaplap.jpg

On the right side, close to the "CE" mark.

Unless I am slow today there isnt a fat on your motherboard, (I cant blow the picture up enough to see what you are talking about). Did you mean a FET?
-Tig

Chip 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 21:48:50
#78 ]
Cult Member

@terminator3

No, the picture were taken when the board arrived after buying. I've exchanged the fan to a Zalman one more than a year ago.
I did not used to remove the dust. It works fine.
I have no linux on my A1, only on my PC.
I'm always seeing crashes when developing something and screwing up. But no lockups recently. I'm using a sii680ide pci card and works pretty fine.

terminator3 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 22:11:46
#79 ]

@Chip

Zalman - can you provide details, is it easy to install?
what is the "expected" price?
what about the original heatsink & fan - not enough???
thanks.

Hans 
Posted on 16-Jul-2007 22:21:56
#80 ]
Elite Member

@terminator3

I have Linux on my A1. I use an sii680 PCI card for IDE and one of the more recent kernels. You can get the 2.6.16.35 kernel from here.

I never had any heat-related issues with the original heat-sink, but replaced it anyway. I won't bother telling you what heat-sink/fan combination I used as I don't think that it made much of an improvement over the original. It is quieter though.

Hans

Last edited by Hans on 16-Jul-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle