This started out as an informal IRC channel formed by number6, then we collected questions and invited people to ask additional ones, so we could write them up as a single list for the AmiWest guys.
Meanwhile, we were joined by m3x, Rigo, MangaClub, and joerg, who collectively answered most of our questions. Note: A few questions were unable to be answered by them, and Hyperion may of course make changes that invalidate some or all of these, but this is what we know right now. Thanks to all who participated.
1. Is Grex support planned, iether in the initial or future release/update?
- not in initial release, unknown for future at this time.
2. Will AmiUpdate be available for the classic version? What are the main differences if any, compared to the A1 version of OS4?
- AMiUpdate is already available, and works on both A1 and Classic versions of OS4. Both classic and A1 versions come from the same code base, although when released, the classic version may include some new features as it's a later build than the latest A1 release yet available.
3. Will OS4 classic sales and/or support be forthcoming from Acube or Hyperion or both?
- no response given.
- It appears ACube will either be distributing to dealers, selling themselves, or both.
4. Will you be able to do an update to the existing AOS version, keeping files and filesystems, or it must be a fresh install to a new partition?
- A clean install is required at this time, per Thomas and HJF. An 'upgrade install' will not be supported and can have many issues.
- Trying to upgrade a 3.9 install is madness and should never be attempted. The first thing I will ever ask when someone has trouble whether he has installed on a clean partition, and if the reply is "no" I will just say "go and reinstall on a clean partition" and be done with it.
You can chose FFS or SFS, both are supplied on the CD as 68k file systems and both support long file names. The ROM FFS doesn't.
5. When will we see a new OS4 updated SDK?
- The SDK is being worked on as we speak
6. Is virtual memory enabled in the build for classics?
(UPDATED, info provided by Rogue)
- The classic kernel will not support paging as of the current release, and whether it will do in the future is as of yet undecided.
7. Can the custom chipset be accessed from OS4 on classics?
- Yes, it's possible for example, to run OS4 on AGA screens
Yes, native screen modes are accessible from OS4 on Classics
8. Does Coccolino Mouse adapter be supported?
- Should work out of the box with no issues.
you can use wheel with coccolino too, but only with application which supports both "OS4 way" and NEWMOUSE way as well. Uses 68k driver to use mouse wheel. NEWMOUSE is supported via IPrefs.
9. Will Elbox FastATA 1200MK-III ior other FastAta controllers be supported when installing on a fresh drive?
- IDEFix ATA or Elbox FastAta are supported. FastATA is much faster because of PIO 0-5 modes.
- IDEFix is only supported on the primary channel during installation, so the HD and CD have to be on primary channel.
10. Minimum RAM required/system requirements?
- A1200, A3000, A3000T, A4000, A4000T with PPC
- 64MB is minimum RAM, higher recommended. 70ns RAM speed recommended.
- 200 meg free space minimum is needed on a hard drive partition for install
- Cyber/BlizzardVisionPPC supported
- Voodoo 3/4/5 + Permedia video work
- Zorro gfx cards supported by P96 can be used as well.
- will run on AGA as well
- dma is not supported on PCI busboards for the classic, so anything that requires it will be either crippled, or not working. If a device will work without DM
A, it may work, if unable to run without DMA, it won't.
11. Is the 68k CPU totally disabled with an OS4 install?
- 68k is disabled entirely.
12. is there anything on a CPU level (if we consider that we have MMU and FPU on 68k) that would stop some of the more advanced OS4 features from working on 68k, IF OS4 were ver to be ported (re-ported) to 68k? Any chance?
13. What about networking?
- Roadshow is available, as with the A1 version of OS4.
rtl based cards, eth3com based and Zorro based with 68k drivers, but see compat list forthcoming.
14. How stable is OS4 on a classic compared to an A1?
- As stable as the hardware it runs on. There is no 'added inherent instability' in the code base versus OS4 on A1s.
15. If WinUAE gets a PPC cpu emulation option will it be "legal" to buy and run a copy of AmigaOS4 Classic on emulation?
- unsure this is a question for Hyperion or existing laws, not classic OS4 specific.
16. Will the A1 version of OS4 be updated to bring it to feature parity/same build as the classic OS4 release?
- unknown at this time.
17. How much will Classic OS4 cost? How will it be sold? Packaged in box only, or via download as well? Will a PPC board serial # need to be given?
- unknown at this time.
OS4 was installed at the AmiWest show sucessfully on an A4000 with CSPPC- supports A3k, A4k, A4k tower, A1200 with PPC. Some initial issues with correct RDB on the disk, but then installed OK, and note this is a pre-release still.
edit - 'ass' is NOT 'ask'...sigh. typo fix.
edit 2 - updated info regarding install vs upgrades.
Last edited by wegster on 23-Oct-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 22-Oct-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 22-Oct-2007 at 01:56 AM.
Last edited by wegster on 21-Oct-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 21-Oct-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 21-Oct-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Last edited by wegster on 21-Oct-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Are we not done with the same silly arguments and flames yet??!