Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 116 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  35 mins ago
 Hypex:  41 mins ago
 Hammer:  42 mins ago
 Seiya:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 1 min ago
 vox:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 59 mins ago
 mbrantley:  6 hrs 1 min ago
 pixie:  6 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Happy Saturnalia!!
Register To Post

PosterThread
pavlor 
Happy Saturnalia!!
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 7:44:30
#1 ]
Elite Member

@amiga, atari, mac, PC etc. users

Happy Saturnalia!!

Profile     Report this post  
tonyw 
Re: Happy Saturnalia!!
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 8:39:23
#2 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Ah-ha! Someone who knows where "Christmas" originated?

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

meega 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 9:42:44
#3 ]

@tonyw

http://www.pantheon.org/areas/gallery/mythology/africa/egyptian/isis-horus.jpg

Ed: img tags removed

Last edited by meega on 19-Dec-2007 at 09:54 AM.

RedMelons 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 9:49:27
#4 ]

Have you seen Zeitgeist, the movie?

Quote:
Horus is the Sun God of Egypt of around 3000 BC. He is the sun, anthropomorphized, and his life is a series of allegorical myths involving the sun's movement in the sky. From the ancient hieroglyphics in Egypt, we know much about this solar messiah. For instance, Horus, being the sun, or the light, had an enemy known as Set and Set was the personification of the darkness or night . And, metaphorically speaking, every morning Horus would win the battle against Set - while in the evening, Set would conquer Horus and send him into the underworld. It is important to note that "dark vs. light" or "good vs. evil" is one of the most ubiquitous mythological dualities ever known and is still expressed on many levels to this day.

Broadly speaking, the story of Horus is as follows: Horus was born on December 25th of the virgin Isis-Meri. His birth was accompanied by a star in the east, which in turn, three kings followed to locate and adorn the new-born savior. At the age of 12, he was a prodigal child teacher, and at the age of 30 he was baptized by a figure known as Anup and thus began his ministry. Horus had 12 disciples he traveled about with, performing miracles such as healing the sick and walking on water. Horus was known by many gestural names such as The Truth, The Light, God's Annointed Son, The Good Shepherd, The Lamb of God, and many others. After being betrayed by Typhon, Horus was crucified, buried for 3 days, and thus, resurrected.

These attributes of Horus, whether original or not, seem to permeate in many cultures of the world, for many other gods are found to have the same general mythological structure.

Sound familiar?

Last edited by RedMelons on 19-Dec-2007 at 12:13 PM.

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 11:33:35
#5 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@RedMelons

Why yes it does. Before you humans changed from nomads to farmers, I used to come to your world in my spacecraft wearing my red smoking jacket with the white trim with a number of elderly female monarchs flying in formation in front of me would steady my flight while I disposed of my ships waste on the land below.

On one occasion I realised I has showered some nomadic humans with some empty bottles of jif. I stopped to appologise and as I opened my red spacecrafts doors, a gust of wind lifted my jacket and revealed I wore nothing beneath.

And so the legend of St knickerless who traveled the world showering people with jifs while being pulled by reigning old dears was born.

Google Translate

TheodoreTwinky 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 12:03:49
#6 ]

@SpaceDruid

Lol! That was brilliant! Well written.

meega 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 12:08:14
#7 ]

Last edited by meega on 19-Dec-2007 at 12:08 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 12:14:55
#8 ]
Elite Member

@tonyw

Surely, if you're going to point to any pagan festival being involved with Christmas it should be the Roman festival of Sol Invictus!

From Wikipedia....

Quote:
Sol Invictus festival has a "strong claim on the responsibility" for the date of Christmas (Catholic Encyclopedia (1908)) is no longer held to be credible by Catholic scholars. The Pope, Benedict XVI, has challenged this theory, arguing that a December 25th date was determined simply by calculating nine months beyond March 25th, regarded as the day of Jesus’ conception (the Feast of the Annunciation).[3] Other recent Christian commentators [4] [5] also agree that the identification of Christ's birth-day pre-dates the Sol Invictus festival. Regardless of this, the fact remains that the date of Christmas does correspond with the Winter Solstice, the Pagan celebration of Yule, and the Festival of Sol Invictus.

So close but no cigar! The Romans had lots of pagan rubbish that they celebrated. Whatever the situation surrounding the choice of when to celebrate Christ's birth day, it's a great replacement for worshiping sun gods and idols!!

-Sam- 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 13:32:33
#9 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

What about Saturn users themselves?

ajs 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 19:00:53
#10 ]

@SpaceDruid

Quote:

SpaceDruid wrote:
@RedMelons

Why yes it does. Before you humans changed from nomads to farmers, I used to come to your world in my spacecraft wearing my red smoking jacket with the white trim with a number of elderly female monarchs flying in formation in front of me would steady my flight while I disposed of my ships waste on the land below.

On one occasion I realised I has showered some nomadic humans with some empty bottles of jif. I stopped to appologise and as I opened my red spacecrafts doors, a gust of wind lifted my jacket and revealed I wore nothing beneath.

And so the legend of St knickerless who traveled the world showering people with jifs while being pulled by reigning old dears was born.

By Santa's beard I think, no no It can't right ........but its must be ,the time travel photos can not be faulted Spacedruid is the original Santa!!

Ho Ho Ho

Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

WaveGuide 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 20:14:41
#11 ]

@TheodoreTwinky

Quote:

TheodoreTwinky wrote:
@SpaceDruid

Lol! That was brilliant! Well written.

Like he said, have you seen Zeitgeist?
You should.

JaX

Zardoz 
Posted on 19-Dec-2007 20:59:47
#12 ]
Team Member

@BigD

Quote:
So close but no cigar! The Romans had lots of pagan rubbish that they celebrated. Whatever the situation surrounding the choice of when to celebrate Christ's birth day, it's a great replacement for worshiping sun gods and idols!!

By your own definition, what is currently being celebrated on that date is "rubbish" for other people as well.

eniacfoa 
Posted on 20-Dec-2007 5:13:09
#13 ]

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@tonyw

its the same fruitless garbage and no different to worshiping a virgin mother and a god that put "billions" of animals into a boat and then floods the "entire" earth. at least if you worship things like the sun your more connected to mother nature. If there is a god he isnt any of the earths religons... they're all so silly... and god would not give us brains and tell us not to use them... i have heard muslim leaders claim the earth is suspended by a single hair of mohammed...i have heard christians leaders claim that 5 billion people stemmed from Adam and Eve, didnt they have 2 sons and one killed the other??? did the son have sexual relations with his mother? its all so silly... silly stories to explain what we couldnt explain...a seed planted into a childs mind at a young age by the masses...who are fairly daft...

and its a great tool for the people running the world to keep us divided...

Last edited by eniacfoa on 20-Dec-2007 at 05:16 AM.

http://ozconspiracyhouse.myfastforum.org

SpaceDruid 
Posted on 20-Dec-2007 10:06:22
#14 ]
From: Inside the mind of a cow on a planet that's flying through space at 242.334765 miles per second.

@ajs

Quote:

By Santa's beard I think, no no It can't right ........but its must be ,the time travel photos can not be faulted Spacedruid is the original Santa!!

Ho Ho Ho

I no longer need photo manipulation in order for my beard to be of the deadly white shade. I am now an old bugger and so the white is now all natural. Thank you for revealing this. The guilt of having that photo (which was taken some 200 million years ago) as my avatar is now, lifted somewhat.

MERRY CHRIMBLE TO ONE AND ALL!

PS: No gods exist anywhere other than the human mind. If you wish to worship your creator, workship physics, chemistry and biology. If you wish to worship human values, then worship human history. The greatest story ever told is just that, a story.

2000 years on and humans still worship a man in sandals. And you wonder why this planet is so screwed up?

PPS: The Zeitgeist movie on this thread is just as much fiction as the religion it mocks. Dec 25 has no meaning in any of the dieties or religions mentioned as december 25 did not exist prior to 24 February 1582 when the Gregorian calendar was first used in order to correct the wide fluctuations in the previous calender (Julian) which meant dates wandered all over the seasons (And even then, only in Europe - which kinda ruins all those messiahs it mentions from around the globe - not to mention the zodiac calander has not always had 12 points - another "fact" that movie has made up). Futhermore, no shepard would be watching his flock at that time of the year as the flock would not be grazing outdoors because of the lack of any grazing so the one thing we can safely say from the clues in the bible is that Jesus was NOT born in december or anydate close to it.

You don't need conspiracy theories to understand why religion is as made up as conspiracy theory movies, you only need to understand the human fear of the unknown and the desire for answers to bring comfort in times of fear (ie; all the time). Life ends, you die. There is no soul, no afterlife. You exist, you don't exist. You were once stardust, you become stardust again. That is your afterlife, your eternity.

"You shout in your sleep.
Perhaps the price is just too steep?
Is your conscience at rest,
if once put to the test?
You awake with a start,
to just the beating of your heart.
Just one man beneath the sky.
Just two ears, just two eyes.

You set sail across the sea,
of longpast thoughts and memories.
Childhood's end. Your fantasies,
merge with harsh realities.
And then as the sail is hoist,
you find your eyes are growing moist.
All the fears never voiced
say you have to make your final choice.

Who are you and who am I
to say we know the reason why?
Some are born, some men die
beneath one infinite sky.
There'll be war, there'll be peace.
but everything one day will cease.
All the iron turned to rust.
All the proud men turned to dust.

And so all things, time will mend.
So this song will end."

Childhood's End - Pink Floyd

Last edited by SpaceDruid on 20-Dec-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Google Translate

LordArt 
Posted on 20-Dec-2007 16:01:52
#15 ]

The problem with \"facts\" in cases like this, is it uses the Monty Python logic of \"Ducks Float, Wood Floats, Ducks are made of wood!\"

It\'s too easy to draw conclusions based on evidence that supports your predisposed point of view, and ignore the evidence that doesn\'t. People do that all the time to support their agenda/point of view. That\'s why it only takes one thing to disprove something, and it\'s pretty much impossible to prove something 100%.

Kicko 
Posted on 20-Dec-2007 17:38:02
#16 ]
Elite Member

There is no Santa

Zardoz 
Posted on 20-Dec-2007 23:59:03
#17 ]
Team Member

@Kicko

Quote:
There is no Santa

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle