Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 143 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 saimo:  9 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  9 mins ago
 sibbi:  10 mins ago
 vox:  21 mins ago
 kolla:  31 mins ago
 Mr_DBUG:  32 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  1 hr 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Software
      /  Need help with SDL.library.
Register To Post

PosterThread
kvasir 
Need help with SDL.library.
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 15:58:18
#1 ]

Hello all. I've been having trouble with SDL.library. When I use my wifes computer with WinUAE, I just dropped it into the libs: directory, fired up a test program (the included asteroids clone), and it works. However, on my 1200T system, I get the following:
Quote:

New Shell process 15
15.Boot:> sys:sdl/SDLroid
s15.Boot:SDL/SDLroids> sdlroids
SDL_SetError: Found no sufficiently capable CGX visuals
15.Boot:SDL/SDLroids>

I'm running with an SVGA SVIRGE card, with a Mediator on a 1200 tower conversion, and if I recall there was some problems with Mediator gfx and SDL, though I thought this was for specific screenmodes. (Apparently, I would be stuck with 16-bit video, which my card supports, having recently upgraded from a system that could only handle ham8, I can certainly live with that) I'm thinking I might have a config problem, as SnoopDos reports fails on some env: variables. (SDL_Videomode for example) I ran a search on the forums the other day, and found ppl have had trouble with SDL and Mediator, but couldn't find a solution. (2 YO daughter getting into everything, had to to eventually stop looking and set off some firecrackers for her outside.. kids a bloody pyro at 2 1/2 years...) Is there any way to get this to work? I'd really like to run netsurf on my 1200. (As well as the SDL games that are being ported over all the time)

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Re: Need help with SDL.library.
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 16:52:36
#2 ]
Elite Member

@kvasir

the problem is that bestmodeid function doesnt work right on your system
get last updates of picasso96 libraries fro the following location

http://www.haage-partner.de/download/Amiga/AmigaXL/AOSXL-Update1.lha

the files are in the following folder:

AOSXL-Update1/AmigaOSXL-Update/Libs/Picasso96

at least it worked on my mediator/voodoo3.

kvasir 
Posted on 2-Jul-2009 23:50:08
#3 ]

@wawa

Thanks for that, it seems to have worked with most SDL apps, though Netsurf and Dosbox still fail. (DosBox is showing failures on sdl_hwsurface and sdl_swsurface env: variables) Any idea what these are for?

wawa 
Posted on 4-Jul-2009 13:59:49
#4 ]
Elite Member

@kvasir
where does netsurf fail?
set your screen depth to either 16 or 32 bit. 24 bit doesnt work. this is the most common mistake.

if you do not have bernds ixemul.library it will refuse to work as well, but in this case you get an appropriate request window.

other than that it should work out of the box.
for dosbox i don know. i will have to try that

wawa 
Posted on 4-Jul-2009 14:21:41
#5 ]
Elite Member

@kvasir
""
Thanks for that, it seems to have worked with most SDL apps, though Netsurf and Dosbox still fail. (DosBox is showing failures on sdl_hwsurface and sdl_swsurface env: variables) Any idea what these are for?
""

http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/SDL:_Video

i just noticed i miss these variables on my current setup.(had partition failure this week) i suppose it has t be set to 1 but i would have to ask bernd if im correct.
nevertheless it is an old and buggy version. much older than the current aros and os4 ones that are 0.73. it throws a lot of hits especially on quit. but it starts fine on my sys with or without the env vars.

edit: well now i noticed. i set workbench to 24 bit and dosbox crashes on start with all whistles. set the wb to 16bit and it works.

Last edited by wawa on 04-Jul-2009 at 02:26 PM.

kvasir 
Posted on 4-Jul-2009 17:50:14
#6 ]

@wawa

Thanks again, that did the trick. Should have been the first thing I thought of, though.... Anyway, Netsurf and DosBox work, albeit slowly, in 16-bit. It also slows down my workbench, I'll have to look into running it on its own screen. I'll look into the wiki site, as soon as I can dig up my German-English dictionary (that stayed by my Amiga before I moved, as thats the only place I used it. :D ) or see if google can translate it with some understable grammer left intact... (Might have been an english link there, too. I'll have to look more in depth) Alas, my card doesn't support 32-bit, and until I get some more $$$ I'm going to be stuck with 16-bit SDL stuff... And powericons eating my CPU for the alpha affects to which I've become too addicted to disable. :D Thanks again for the help! (BTW, I've tried to run DosBox, now it boots, but it doesn't like crossdos mounted partitions... AARRGGHH!!! I just want to compare it to PC-TASK)

wawa 
Posted on 5-Jul-2009 0:58:31
#7 ]
Elite Member

@kvasir

sorry i didnt noticed its in german. im always mixing the languages up, damn..
as for dosbox speed: what do you expect? pc emulation was, is and will always be slow on amigas.
it seems the dosbox is statically linked with sdl.library. perhaps it would work better if compiled against the current release.

kvasir 
Posted on 5-Jul-2009 6:18:53
#8 ]

@wawa

Yeah, its going to be slow, and I'm guessing slower than PC-Task. (Which runs win 3.11 respectably, and win95 at a tolerable speed on my system) I just wanted to run some specific tests to see which performs better than the other.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle