Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 107 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  6 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  23 mins ago
 agami:  24 mins ago
 RobertB:  43 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Bruce72:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 t0lkien:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  The Amiga Demoscene Archive is dead - no more!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
xeron 
Re: The Amiga Demoscene Archive is dead.
Posted on 15-Jul-2009 11:41:56
#41 ]
Elite Member
From: Weston-Super-Mare, Somerset, England, UK, Europe, Earth, The Milky Way, The Universe

@z5

Don't let complainers get you down. ADA was (and will be) awesome. I never saw any 68k bias.

Profile     Report this post  
Chain-Q 
Posted on 15-Jul-2009 12:03:08
#42 ]
Cult Member

@z5, @kas1e
I never felt A.D.A. biased, to be honest. If it was, it was simply due to the fact, that the vast majority of Amiga demoscene always was on 68k. There were tries with PowerPC, but it never became a mainstream on the scene. But A.D.A. always included these products as well.

Just think about, A.D.A. had Planet Potion as number one Amiga demoscene product for years, which is PowerPC and Warp3D...

I think the demoscene not accepting nextgen hardware was mainly due to the fact, that there was no hardware which became de-facto for the scene (like A500, then A1200, then 030 + AGA, then 060 + AGA), but all the nextgen OS'es fate was in a flux, for the last decade. OS4 didn't had any decent hardware available for years (and Sam being a nice board, still doesn't really count as decent), MorphOS nearly went down in 2005, the updates (with proper drivers, and access to hardware features like Altivec) were delayed for years on both systems, and you still can't use even a Radeon 9250 up to it's full capabilities on any of the nextgen systems (no T&L, no shaders, not even full memory used on 256MB ones). AROS wasn't really there until the last one or two years, and if you want to go for x86, you've dozens OSes to choose from, which provide much better support for any of the available hardware.

On the other hand, we in the nextgen world know very well the sometimes very offending and too loud evangelism from both sides, against each other, which alienated many simple users as well, and i believe effectively stopped many of the possible interrest from the demoscene as well.

These things combined lead to the situation where we are now. I don't think it's someone's 'decision' to just hate nextgen systems, it's the result of what happenned in the past years... But A.D.A. itself has nothing to do with this.

On the contrary, i always felt that site more balanced to 'reality' instead of religious blindness which is still there if you're closed inside your nextgen community, and reality is, the nextgen platforms both hardware and software wise sucks for demoscene. They're not oldschool enough for oldschool products, but they're definitely not up to for some beating for any of the decent platforms, and your hands are tied in a million ways if you try to code demos for them. You loose the best of demowriting for classic Amiga, with little to no benefits. And i don't think "more people will watch it" if you support nextgen systems. Vast majority of interrested people will watch it in UAE on their peecees, or as video or on YouTube... A lot more people will watch it like this, than the whole userbase of all the nextgen systems combined. (Not to mention what i've already said, videos are perfectly watchable on nextgens as well.)

Don't get me wrong, i love nextgen systems, i have currently three Pegs and an Efika at home, along with three classic RTG systems, two with PowerPC, but better face reality, than daydreaming.

Last edited by Chain-Q on 15-Jul-2009 at 12:05 PM.

jPV 
Posted on 15-Jul-2009 13:37:12
#43 ]
Cult Member

Ouch :(

But good to hear that site is coming back! I've just loved ADA's database with lovely screenshots and all. And I've really appreciated it working and looking good on 68k browsers in today's crapnet! :)

I've always thought it to be good archive of quality demos with nice shots and comments. No matter for update regularity, activity, amount of demos etc. Just filtered content which can be pointed out for everyone interested Amiga demoscene. Preserving the highlights of the scene history. For it it's unique site and shouldn't be killed ever. There are other sites for all possible low quality releases, news and babble... quality stuff is easliy drown into those..

Thanks for z5 for all the hard work. Hope you can keep it going...

steril606 
Posted on 15-Jul-2009 15:37:38
#44 ]

Off course it's more interesting to do demos on fixed hardware with custom chipsets, like the Amigas of old were.

I like using NG Amiga OS, but I would ask people doing some decent apps before asking democoders to program something on then.

I wonder though, if something like the Natami ever gets real, if the remaining Amiga demoscene would give it a shot.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 15-Jul-2009 18:40:56
#45 ]
Elite Member

@Crumb

Quote:
What does AROS/OS4/MOS offers compared to PC demoscene? I'll tell you: nothing. The hardware is not fixed and you can have lots of different configurations with one common point: PC hardware has the latest goodies like pixel shaders and fun stuff and it's always faster. AROS/OS4/MOS is like time travelling to the past, but not the glorious past of dozens of Amiga AGA demos... it's the past of "exciting" pentium3/voodoo3 machines.

The point being I like to look at demos on my AmigaOS, whit out needing an PC, anyway I find AmigaOS demos more interesting from community perspective.

I don't mind developers making Demos for Windows or Mac, but thats just not what I'm using.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 15-Jul-2009 at 07:16 PM.

z5 
Posted on 11-Aug-2009 19:56:25
#46 ]

Just want to mention that the site is up and running again so you can change the title of this topic.

I didn't have anything to do with bringing it back so big thanks + respect for the person who offered help, recoded the site and put it online. I can assure you that the site is in very good hands now :)

The forum should return at some point too.

Dwyloc 
Posted on 11-Aug-2009 20:32:56
#47 ]

@z5

Cool it good news

4MB Minimig with ARM addon boar

Ryu 
Posted on 11-Aug-2009 20:39:27
#48 ]

@z5

Excellent, really glad its back online.

If I can offer any help or support in any way you just need to ask

www.IntuitionBase.com - Your Guide to Amiga OS4.x and the AmigaOne
www.Bambi-Amiga.co.uk - My A1200 webserver, running 24/7/365

marko 
Posted on 11-Aug-2009 22:19:45
#49 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@z5

That's great!

m4rko.com/AMIGA

saimo 
Posted on 11-Aug-2009 22:47:09
#50 ]
Elite Member

@z5

Great news
Thanks to all involved!

NovaCoder 
Posted on 11-Aug-2009 23:43:32
#51 ]

Thats great news, a big thanks to everyone who got this great site back from the dead

Menthos 
Posted on 12-Aug-2009 6:38:17
#52 ]

@z5

Good news!!! Keep the fire burning!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle