Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
28 crawler(s) on-line.
 101 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  25 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 ktadd:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 17 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 45 mins ago
 Hypex:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 1Mouse:  3 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Gaming
      /  Serious question here to all PowerPC users.
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Toaks 
Serious question here to all PowerPC users.
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 15:29:13
#1 ]
Elite Member

1. do "YOU" think there will be an market once os4 is released?

2. Do "YOU" think 68k has no future for new games/apps.

3. Will "YOU" buy new software which will be ONLY for PPC ?

4. What do "YOU" expect to see on the gameing front on a1 with os4?

5. Would "YOU" prefer an PORT of an PC HIT? or an New invention(?) (a game from scratch , new ideas and a non hyped title)

6. How Much would "YOU" pay for an Ported game compared to an fresh Amiga Only title?

7. What would make "YOU" scream AMIGA ROOLZ again? , like you did in the past(?).

8. Do "YOU" think an Amiga One Game can pass 1000 copies sold By the End 2004 (IF we have OS4 Before the End Of the Year ofcourse)

i sinceserly hope to make alot of noise with theese questions.

(negative and postive remarks and statements is VERY welcome)

please dont ask WHY i posted this , just answer the questions and i will respond properly to everyone's EXTRA questions eventually.

thanx

pps:this is an "OWN" opion test aimed at "YOU" , i dont want an opinion you dont have ie like "they said etc".

Profile     Report this post  
Mikey_C 
Re: Serious question here to all PowerPC users.
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 15:38:39
#2 ]
Elite Member

- Yes, How big I don''t know, I'll be happy if we get back to 1997 levels within a couple of years

- 68k is dead, get over it

- Oh Yes Indeedy, let me at it! : - D
- er what is it first?

- Most likely we will see a dearth of FPS, which now bore me to tears, I would love some decent simms.

5. Would "YOU" prefer an PORT of an PC HIT? or an New invention(?) (a game from scratch , new ideas and a non hyped title)

-If It's a simm, I'm interested, as long as it's better than the awful Software Tycoon.

6. How Much would "YOU" pay for an Ported game compared to an fresh Amiga Only title?

- Depends on the game surely, If it was Theme Hosipital (excellent game) around £20 if it was for Railroad Tycoon III, full price, say £35ukp

7. What would make "YOU" scream AMIGA ROOLZ again? , like you did in the past(?).

- Something Original I guess

8. Do "YOU" think an Amiga One Game can pass 1000 copies sold By the End 2004 (IF we have OS4 Before the End Of the Year ofcourse)

- Er no. I would love to be proved wrong though

AmigaMac 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 15:40:42
#3 ]

Quote:

YES

Quote:

NO

Quote:

YES

Quote:

I expect to see bigger game titles than some of the offshoots. I think it'd be best to try and get a lot of the old Amiga games back in distribution since classic games are making a comeback.

Quote:

An Amiga exclusive game would be nice, one that could be considered a killer app perhaps?

Quote:

The usual price

Quote:

I think once Amiga hits the same visibility it had years ago and (once again) becomes a household name.

Quote:

YES

Troels 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 16:01:11
#4 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Yes, although a small one in the beginning.
Quote:
2. Do "YOU" think 68k has no future for new games/apps.[/quote
I would prefer a native PPC over a 68K game (or application).
][quote]3. Will "YOU" buy new software which will be ONLY for PPC ?

Offcourse
Quote:

I don't have any huge expectations about a lot of games arriving when OS4 is out.
I just hope that there will be some fun titles available.
Quote:

A new invented Amiga game would be perfect. Ports are always available sooner and cheaper on other platforms anyway.
Quote:

If the Amiga only title was same standard as the ported one I would be prepared to pay more for that. Maybe 25% more for the original Amiga game.
Quote:

A new OS4 version of Stuntcar racer, with texture mapping, diffrent cars, new and original tracks, more multipplayer options.
That would really rock my world.
Quote:

Offcourse Stuntcar racer anno 2004 would!

Seriously, that depends very much on sales of the A1 now when OS4 gets released, and on what kind of release (price) the MircoA1 will get.

To sell 1000 copies you need a rather large userbase or a brilliant original game concept.
Btw. did I mention Stuntcar racer?

vortexau 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 16:05:33
#5 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

Toaks wrote:

Yes
Quote:

Consider this point- How many new games for 68k were released in 2003?
and- What Apps publishers don't want more modern/more powerful H/W than 68k?

Quote:

Yes
Quote:

I'll wait to see what Hyperion publishes first.
Quote:

Either - but "new ideas" will draw the interest!
Quote:

75-80% price by comparison?
Quote:

Something as refreshing as Lemmings was in its era!
Quote:

If such a game GRABS the user; saying "Buy me! Buy me!" (see answer to 7)

Its extremely important to present something new, and attention grabbing!
~ How about the PLAYER putting his/her face on the game character?
~ For something completely different: Robur & Nemo Vs the Martians
~ or, take some outstanding UNPUBLISHED games that break new ground!

As to the reletively low numbers of CyberstormPPC & A1 hardware:- Publish a title (or titles) worthy and the uncommitted PPC Buyers will come!

Toaks 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 16:05:38
#6 ]
Elite Member

thank you guys for answering , i need more still but i will fill in alot of question marks you might have eventually.

as i said earlier , personal (your) opinions is the ones i want so keep em comming please! .

Anonymous 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 16:09:46
# ]

What?! 68K Dead!? Never! The 68K processor is still going mightly string!

Report this post  
vortexau 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 16:15:08
#8 ]
Elite Member

There are Games concepts that havn't been done before-

and varieties of Play Modes that havn't either!

Crumb 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 16:57:21
#9 ]
Elite Member

1.- Yes, but it will be small until the AmigaOne Lite appears

2.- For apps maybe... for games I would drop the idea... unless you make games to support emulators like amithlon. But I think that it's better to make a game PPC-only because you have more cpu power and also because people who has invested more than 350? in his favourite platform probably will buy more titles than those who have a 68k amiga and use more a peecee.

3.- Yes.

4.- Ports. But in 6 months since the OS4 final release we may see some original titles.

5.- Well pc/console hits will probably be hits on amiga too. But on the other hand many people already have consoles/pcs for that games, and some of them may already have bought that game. An original game should be AS GOOD as their pc ports counterpads... I don't want substandard amiga-only games (like most of the Vulcan stuff released when no one used A500s). That games with crap graphics done in amos harmed the platform. When clickboom and other companies started to ask higher configurations people upgraded their machines. So don't worry about doing it ppc-only. If the game is good people will upgrade just to play it. But if the game is amiga-only, it doesn't take advantage of G4s and is sub standard (as many last years amiga titles) it will sell badly.

Developing a game that can compete with consoles and windows games costs a lot of money. But there are more chances of people buying a quality game than a crap game. I mean, I prefer a port of a good game than a crap amiga-only (read original) game. But if it's original and it's great people will upgrade just to play, they will buy amigaone lites just to play.

Remember that sometimes people buys games to see what their equipment can do so they want to see Altivec in action, etc...

6.- If the pc game is good and its sources aren't available yet the same as an amiga title.

7.- An original game or a port of one of the latest games (that's doubtful). I mean, I'd like to see Half-life2 or doom3 released for amiga at the same time as the pc version, and playing with pc friends at a game that has been released a few weeks ago would be great. But as this won't happen I think that an original game that has a quality similar to the latest games. I don't want games designed for a 200Mhz machine with sub-standard graphics. If I buy an Amiga One I want games that use it to the max, and as it's the basic config, the game should be designed to take advantage of faster systems. And of course it should use Altivec. Users aren't a charity organization... games should have the same quality as the console/pc games. That should be something that friends saw and said "hey! I want an AmigaOne to play this game". So the game engine should be as good as the latest pc/console titles and should take advantage of the latest hardware.

8. It should be technically as good as Doom3/HalfLife2. And the gameplay should be as addictive and fun as classic games. If you make the shadow of the beast or the defenders of the crown of the 2004 and people buys AmigaOne Lites just to play it, yes. But I doubt that a small team can do a game that amazes people so much to buy this machine. I hope to be wrong. Something more realistic would be 500 units sold.

In conclusion, take a look at the 90s amiga game market. Game companies decreased game quality to make them run on A500. And what happened? A500 users saw that the pc versions were starting to be better and they upgraded to peecees instead of A1200s. Why buy an A1200 if the games didn't take advantage of it and the quality of the games was worse than on peecee?

Now think about the actual situation... why would I buy an A1 to play low quality games that don't take advantage of my G4/800 and my Radeon and that look crap and have less features than console/windows ones just because they wanted to make them run on crappy 060s or even cyberstormPPCs?

Why would I buy Napalm when Starcraft (or even warcraft1/2) is technically better (and from the gameplay point of view too of course).

I don't want to give you the false impression of me only being interested in the engine and graphics/sound. A good gameplay is a must.

Warcraft3 is technically more advanced than Starcraft but I still prefer Starcraft. In addition to that I can't see the point of 3D realtime strategy games... the third dimension doesn't add anything to the gameplay. It's a good idea to use the 3d functions like in Diablo2 to accelerate effects etc, but 3D in RTS games suck IMHO and in the opinion of most of my pc friends.

I hope you get my point. Low quality games won't sell well because many people already have peecees and consoles. Most of people want a game as good as the PC or console ones. I don't care if the game is port or not as long as it's good, addictive and takes advantage of my setup.

Laser 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 17:14:23
#10 ]

I think people in the current Amiga market may find an upturn of interest, if they can supply the correct products. There may be a few new people dipping their toes in, too. But I think if it doesn't grow a bit within a year, it will start to shrink again.

Modern games, no way. The 68K will be fondly remembered as one of the nicest architectures to program and interface to, and will continue in some embedded uses. Desktops wont be seeing them again, though.

If I have a PPC computer, yes...

Ports of all the GPL'd 3D games released, running at useable speed. A couple of licenced ports of slightly more current games. And maybe a bit of a renaissance of the bedroom PD coder.

Ports of smash-hit games are nice if they're done *soon*, but as I'd almost certainly buy the console version beforehand, they're not always a good bet. Amiga-only "takes" on popular ideas (Payback) or genuinely original games are very desirable, but take a lot of commitment and resource up-front.

If it were within 3 months of the PC release and done very well, I'd pay equal to the PC game RRP. I'd not otherwise be much interested in expensive games for an A1.

Some significant organisation making public use of Amigas instead of PC's. Or some other obvious situation of people selecting Amiga for a non-niche/retro application.

No. 500 maybe.

spotUP 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 17:17:26
#11 ]
Elite Member

There will be a market. How big? I dont have a clue. Hopefully it will grow with time.

It has no future if we want demanding games.
Simple games can be fun too though. Personally I would dump 68k if I was to make a new game.

Yes. I would rather nuy an AOS4 optimised app than an 68k app.

I expect a lot of boring first person shooters.
But I really dont wanna play any of them.

I would prefer an Amiga only title. I would prefer a game that is not so computerish. Computer games nowadays seems to be all first person shooters and simulations, booooring, that is why i mostly play cute console adventures.

I would love to see a zeldaish action adventure for my amiga one, 2D/3D doesnt matter.

Hmmm... i would pay more for an amiga only title. But i would not pay more than I pay for a PS2 game. It all depends on the quality of the game.

A breathtakingly gorgeus action RPG with a fantastic story like, say Paper Mario (N64) or Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on the GBA. These two titles a very good in every aspect. (Story/Humour/Graphics/Fighting/and so on...)

It is too early to say. But a surprising amount of my friends really want to buy a MicroA1 if the price is right!

http://www.asciiarena.com
http://www.uprough.net

voxel 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 18:25:34
#12 ]

Well,

- Definitely YES

- NO, as there is numerous 68k Amigas still alive and kicking, and many apps/games doesn't need PPC power to be fantastic

- Big YES I'm waiting for that.

- Challenging and innovative games with high playability and radically different than the PeeCees's "all-the-same" games

- Both, with preference for the all new one

- More for the fresh kind

- I've NEVER stopped to shout "Amiga Rulez" since 1985

8. Do "YOU" think an Amiga One Game can pass 1000 copies sold By the End 2004

- YES, if it is worth it!

(IF we have OS4 Before the End Of the Year ofcourse)

- We WILL have it long before that

Amigalement,
Jean-François, Amiga ONLY since 1985.

Welcome to Happy Computing : Amiga! (© 2

Gopal 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 18:32:48
#13 ]

- Yes, but it won´t be large the first few years.

- The serious 68k market was (almost) dead when I left the amiga scene in ´97

- I will spend several hundred euros when the first pain in my wallet is gone after buying the AmigaOne.

- I do not expect a lot of new "high end" games to be released for OS4, but it will be THE retro gaming platform. And Hyperion will port some goodies at least.

- No need to invent TNT over again. The best games will come to the big platforms (PS2, wintel, XBOX) first, we´ll get ports when the market exist.

- The same price. If its really good, a little more.

- When we have programs that cover "all" file formats (from real media to .doc)

- Depends on how the platform is marketed. If we do have a cheap AmigaOne lite in a cool bundle (maybe with a tv-card in a small dvd player case, with cool tivo-like software and a huge hard drive), who knows.

-edited spelling-

spudmiga 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 18:34:16
#14 ]
Cult Member

- almost certainly, how big, nobody knows. there are optimistic and perhaps more realistic guesses, but nobody can be completely sure at the moment.

- i think 68k is now well finally on its way out. amiga applications and games have been relying on this architecture for around 10 years, i think the death of 68k development will be beneficial to the amiga, because users who are not on 68k will have more reason to upgrade to a more "modern" Amiga, IE: some form of PPC based system.

- Probably not as I no longer have a "powerful" Amiga. I opted for the A1 but problems with that last year lead me to switch to the Mac as my main system. The only Amiga I have at the moment is an A1200.

- i think games will come in slowly, perhaps a small flood of releases around 6 months after OS4 is released, then maybe a lul, then hopefully things will pick up again.

- i think to start with, pc ports would be best, to attract gamers from other platforms although i cannot see anything attractive to a modern gamer the Amiga currently has.

- I think around £35, £40 maximum is a fair price for a conversion, I think between £15 and £30 is realistic for an original game.

- If Amiga ever takes off again, has all the killer games, I know a fair few casual computer users/gamers who have bought one of their own interested, and were playing a Quake deathmatch, then I might

- its certainly possible.

Night Operations

A1200 020/28MHz + 64Mb / 4Gb CF / OS 3.1.4.1 / 1438S
A500+ / 2Mb
A600

shoe 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 18:54:52
#15 ]

Quote:
Toaks wrote:

Yes, I do think that. And I'll tell you why. The world is waithing for something like A1/OS4. With a well documented API, like Nova hopefully will become OS4 will make it Fun to develop games again. Showing the world what "I" can do, each time raising the bar one step. Each time doing something new.

Quote:

No, sorry.

Quote:

Without a doubt!

Quote:

Sweet 3D games, taking advantage of the hardware of my AmigaOne. (i.e. Audigy2/Radeon9700) Make sure the game is playable on Radeon7000, but with increased details also uses the potential of the 97/9800.

Quote:

Well I think a combination of both will be required. Of cource a new fresh well developed game would be great. But that takes time. We will need a few smashing games rigth away. Let's face it, a good hardware is NOTHING without good OS/Apps/Games to run on it. And I prefer running them while my hardware is worth >10% of what I payed for it.

Why not some kind of commercial emulation layer for DirectX?! Since we now have basiclly the identical hardware as Power Mac's and hi-end PC's. It should work, no?

Quote:

Personally I think games is too expencive already. But then again the last game I played more then 5h is Simon The Sorcerer (I still own a bunch of new games though..)

Let's say, 40-50EUR for a ported game, 50-60EUR for an own production.

Quote:

The laughter of a child, the blowing of the wind ... A game / demo showing the FULL potential of my expencive Amiga hardware!

Quote:

EASY! IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME ! ! !

[ad]

Best of luck to you! (hope to see you again at AmiGBG 2004 - The turning point for the future of the Amiga)

[/ad]

/shoe

billt 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 19:16:19
#16 ]
Elite Member

> 1. do "YOU" think there will be an market once os4 is released?

There will be "A" market. Not a huge one when compared to other platforms, not even a blip on Apple's radar probably. But it should be enough for some things to happen.

> 2. Do "YOU" think 68k has no future for new games/apps.

I think 68K isn't fast enough for new games, considering that most stuff today is ports of PC games, and they're more demanding than 68K can keep up with now. If Quake 2 "mostly works" or is "just playable", nothing fancier than that has a chance on an 060, and I played through Clickboom Quake on my 060/66 at 8 or 9 FPS. "Just playable" isn't going to be acceptable to me a second time. If that Coldfire board makes it to release and sells well, perhaps it'll make Coldfire-specific ports worth consideration, but I don't have any hopes for any new games for my 060.

> 3. Will "YOU" buy new software which will be ONLY for PPC ?

Yes. In fact, I've bought a bunch of PPC only software and don't even have a PPC chip to run on it. I try to keep supporting the software guys while I wait for a PPC to arrive on my desk, which is taking a while due to the failure of the AmiJoe project and financial stuff getting in the way of my AmigaOne. I'm going to actually need that new transmission for my car soon to get to work and back...

> 4. What do "YOU" expect to see on the gameing front on a1 with os4?

Ports of somewhat older-ish PC games, just like we have now and for the last couple years - Heretic 2, Quake2, Shogo, etc. sorts of things. Any big games from a couple years ago that go GPL will surely happen, perhaps one commercial port of a PC game from a few years ago.

> 5. Would "YOU" prefer an PORT of an PC HIT? or an New invention(?) (a game from scratch , new ideas and a non hyped title)

For a while I'll be happy with PC ports. I think for a while that's all we'll see anyway, as the current market wouldn't support an entire new game from scratch, and anyone interested in making a new game from scratch would 1) wait and see how the AmigaOne/OS4/Pegasos/MorphOS sell to see if the market is viable and 2) would make orders of magnitude more money on the PC/Mac and would be smart to make a CD for distribution that has all supported platforms on it, rather than limit a good game to the much smaller by comparison Amiga market. I'm not terribly concerned with original games, as a port from PC would still be new to me as I don't get many PC games. I didn't even own a PC until after I'd played through an Amiga Doom port... I now have a few PC games I probably won't play (came packaged with sound cards or graphic cards for my PC) that I might be more likely to play on Amiga, sentimentality is weird... The PC games I do play, Half Life port apparently won't happen (and it's an old game!) and I don't expect to see Final Fantasy XI ported before I get bored of it and quit playing if it ever happens. All the "new" Amiga games I see are puzzle games, and those don't excite me so much.

> 6. How Much would "YOU" pay for an Ported game compared to an fresh Amiga Only title?

I'd pay around what I'd pay for a new PC game release, even if the Amiga port comes later and the PC version is then in bargain bins.

> 7. What would make "YOU" scream AMIGA ROOLZ again? , like you did in the past(?).

Double-dog dare me and I'll do it right now. :) Seriously, I think it'll take some big events in apps for anyone else to care at all. Look at slashdot comments on Amiga stories there, they really don't give a crap, and neither do a lot of other less Linux-obsessed people. It's pretty much guaranteed that people will continue thinking we're crazy for a while. If we get a truely great app, mybe we'll be taken more seriously, but with them comparing Photoshop to personal paint or even ImageFX, Word to Finalwriter, Acrobat reader to apdf, IBrowse to Mozilla/MSIE, etc. or look at the new Amiga game releases being nothing more than ports of old PC games, they simply will not take us seriously at all. These things are good and acceptable to us, but are either already old or lacking in features or standards support to them. I think ImageFX is great, but PC/Mac/Linux people don't know what it is and therefore assume it must be the same as comparing Photoshop to MS Paint. It doesn't matter that such an assumtion is wrong, because they don't care if they are wrong, they think Amiga is dead (if they even know what it was at all) therefore Amiga can't have anything good in their minds. I've given up trying to explain to my friends why I still use my 50MHz Amiga more than my 2GHz PC because they don't care to listen and be proven wrong about even one thing they assume.

It'd be cool if we could get some arrangement with a PC game company to allow a couple Amiga coders to port a new game and get the Amiga version included on the same CD with Windows/Mac versions. That'd at least get us noticed and raise a couple eyebrows, but wouldn't get us much more than that for a while. I'm not sure it would be doable considering Amiga port time and PC game release scheduling pressure. And I'd rather see this happen with a good game where the schedule pressures would likely be higher (HalfLife 2, Final Fantasy XI, Doom3 surely all have/had huge release pressure on the dev team and would not wait a few weeks for an Amiga or even Mac port to finish before releasing to PC users), and not for a cheesy game that won't go over well in the larger PC market and not get noticed.

Get ports of Mozilla and OpenOffice to at least catch up with those things, as they are recognizable "brands", where people will look at you like a cow looks at an oncoming train when you say IBrowse or Aweb, even if those browsers catch up and are truely equivalent to the latest Mozilla/Netscape features. If you have to explain it, they'll think you're nuts, regardless of how correct you might actually be. That's why so many people are so happy with MS products, they aren't smart enough to care than an option exists which might be more suitable to their needs, most people just don't care about better alternatives, and this will be the biggest hurdle to a respectable Amiga market happening.

Things I think we need to even be worth mentioning -AmigaOne/OS4 to a non-Amigan:
browser with current Mozilla features, actual Mozilla port would be best for marketing the AmigaOne/OS4 platform
-OpenOffice
-PDF reader with Acroread features, beyond the limited apdf features (I haven't seen AmiPDF yet, hopefully it's good)
-DVD movie player with all DVD menu support, audio language/commentary selection, subtitles, etc.
-Support for lots of current digital cameras and scanners, not just old models with serial ports or SCSI connections and one or 2 specific recent models - this is what I hate about Linux. I had some hardware to build a Tivo-alike PC, Windows proved unable to do this with acceptable stability but Linux had no drivers for my TV tuner or sound card (ATI AllInWonder 8500DV and Audigy2), and I don't like having to figure out what my OS and/or apps will work with and then go out and try to find the correct hardware to buy, it's realy annoying and the mass market simply will not accept such a situation
-instant messaging compatible with AIM and/or MSM, other formats won't be useful as these are the two dominant PC ones, and they want to chat with their PC using friends
-A couple carefully chosen PC game ports, something more recent than Quake2, something still popular in PC land (yes, I realize this is a tall order and license fees may prohibit a relatively recent title)
These are things I believe are minimal requirements for someone not already obsessed with Amiga to even consider caring. And with digital cameras, PC people wil probably be confused by the lack of Photoshop, even if ImageFX would be very suitable.

> 8. Do "YOU" think an Amiga One Game can pass 1000 copies sold By the End 2004 (IF we have OS4 Before the End Of the Year ofcourse)

By the end of 2004, no. I would give about a year after OS4 ships in final version as a possibility though, assuming the game ships around the same time as OS4. If for some reason OS4 doesn't ship in final version until October, no chance of 1000 copies of games. If it ships in May, then perhaps by early 2005 we can have 1000 copies of a game sold, assuming there are games released also in early/mid 2004. This all really depends on when the OS is released and how long it would then take for a game to be ported/tested and then released.

Toaks 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 19:23:37
#17 ]
Elite Member

i would like to thank the people who gave me input so far , but i hope more will jump in and let me know their! personal opinions.

i wont go in and answer since theese are your opinons but i will make a new thread answering what i think and what we have in store for you all.

keep them posts comming, show me what ya all think!....

billt 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 19:25:06
#18 ]
Elite Member

>Why not some kind of commercial emulation layer for DirectX?! Since we now have basiclly the identical hardware as Power Mac's and hi-end PC's. It should work, no?

We can't emulate DirectX and have it be worth using, as DirectX is a Windows API, and thus implies all binaries using it are x86. Thus emulating the software will require full CPU emulation and be too slow for games to impress anyone if it's even playable at all. Because we have a different CPU we can't just do like the WINE project is doing for Linux to run Windows software.

I do think that an equivalent API eumiation/implementation similar in concept to WINE, allowing us ro run Mac PPC software would be cool, as a user, but this also would encourage anyone interested in making AmigaOS ports to just do a Mac port and assume us Amigans would just emulate it, which would result in less native AmigaOS software happening and turn us into a different implementation of MacOS basically, sortof how C=128 users mostly ran C=64 software as developers developed for the larger market that included the millions of C=64 users instead of just the much smaller C=128-only userbase.

Snuden 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 19:29:47
#19 ]

Quote:

Toaks wrote:

Absolutely. It'll just be very small in the beginning.

Quote:

Yes, no future. If we're ever going to have games like NeverwinterNights and Warcraft 3 on Amiga we need PPC and hardware 3d support.

Quote:

Yes

Quote:

Not much in the start, but I believe it will grow bettter over time.

Quote:

Well I would love to see Neverwinter Nights on Amiga. New inventions would be very cool too, we need something to attract new people.

Quote:

Full price and more if I had to.

Quote:

Being able to feel the magic of Amiga again (You all know what I mean).

Quote:

Yes, with the right game thats certainly possible. But just what is the right game? I would prefer an RTS or an RPG, but thats just me.

Quote:

i sinceserly hope to make alot of noise with theese questions.

Oh, I think you will. But if I were you I would don the asbestos suit also. A thread like this one has the potential to attract cave living beings with kerosene and matches

Morten Strårup

When you do things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

BrianHoskins 
Posted on 19-Jan-2004 19:42:08
#20 ]
Cult Member

1) Is there a market NOW? Well you've only got to look at Ebay to see that there is. Agreed we are a very VERY niche platform these days, but looking at Ebay there are often products going through there that fetch decent prices! And that's classic Amiga products, which to all intents and purposes are fast approaching a dead end. OS4 brings to the Amiga platform new hope, fresh hardware and fresh software - so yes there most definately IS a market. What becomes of that market Toaks is up to you, me and everyone else out there - SUPPORT the AMIGA!!!

2) I feel that the Amiga needs to move on from it's beloved 68000 series now. We need to move forwards, and PPC allows us to do that.

3) I would, yes. But more to the point, I probably wouldn't continue to purchase software that was only 68K for much longer!

4) I've always been an Apps man not a games man, but a choice of excellent titles would definately be nice, and is probably a requiement if we intend to attract users back here. I think it would be a mistake to market our platform as mainly a games machine. Commodore made that mistake in the past, they failed to advertise the true potential of the machine, and for that we all paid a huge price. Games are important, yes.. but let's show people the whole picture - Amiga can do everything a PC can and hopefully soon, more!

5) I would prefer a new game, one that is good enough to rival modern PC titles.. but that could be difficult. Maybe ports need to come first, then later original titles. Ports bring good games FAST - which is what we need. Same for applications.

6) Difficult question. I'd certainly pay more for an Amiga only game, especially if I believed it was good enough to compete with modern PC titles - that would be fantastic!

7) As I said Im more an apps man. If Amiga were to gain a suite of excellent applications and gain NEW respect (which differs to the old respect it already has) I would be very happy

8) I have absolutely no idea... but as I said before, that's up to you and me and all of you reading this - this is NOT a time for shallowness. This is a make or break time for our platform - will you support, or let it slip?? It's up to us.

Brian

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle