Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 130 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  9 mins ago
 t0lkien:  14 mins ago
 amigakit:  35 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  48 mins ago
 Troels:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 kolla:  3 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  MAP == A-Eon.com? Part 2
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
PosterThread
Radfoo 
Re: MAP == A-Eon.com? Part 2
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:16:48
#661 ]

@AmigaBlitter
Thanks, that mario thing looks cool

Profile     Report this post  
amitv 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:18:20
#662 ]

Quote:
by AmigaBlitter on 4-Jan-2010 20:58:56 @TheDaddy Quote: @TheDaddy Quote: Were they happy when 2-3 years ago there was nothing? We had no SAMs and no modern OS? I find it weird... Yeah! And now there is an updated OS, this amibious project that sound... so ambitious, not to talk of PROJECT MONNALISA AND MOONLIGHT.., Timberworlf: i'm going nuts...

iick: what are now this new project? I can faint with too much news in a week!

Last edited by amitv on 04-Jan-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Radfoo 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:19:03
#663 ]

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
I still think that we could find interesting info searching on WikiMedia.

Yeah, I have done a few searches, bit of a needle in a haystack

Apple Hammer 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:19:23
#664 ]

@Radfoo

Quote:
Yeah, I don't really get this. Compactflash does not exactly scream high end. Can see most Amiga users not using it at all.

Well, Compact Flash is very close to IDE in terms of interfacing. It's also very easy to communicate with. I think Chris is right - it probably has some use in embedded applications. You think your A1200 is cool with its built in CF card? A hard drive with no moving parts to bother about? Same thing here.

Applehammer.

Spectre660 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:21:52
#665 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Quote:

-Sam- wrote:
@Geennaam

Quote:
A new incarnation of a parallel, once thought lost.

Almost as if an old idea that didn't work out is being improved and used again. A bit like Transmeta or something. Is parallel a reference to parallel computing?

Still trawling through thge thread way behind but if no one has linked to a transputer then see here.

http://www.classiccmp.org/transputer/metacomco.htm

amitv 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:23:59
#666 ]

"PROJECT MONNALISA" AND "PROJECT MOONLIGHT"?

what are these projects?

DoodooHead 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:25:29
#667 ]
Cult Member

@Radfoo

Quote:
So if it is XMOS will it need cores like and FPGA or is this something transparent to the user and/or coder?

I don't know. I am just trying to decipher the clues and identify the hardware on the motherboard.

I guess it will be up to the coders to use it for what they want to. I (as just a user) never worried about who would write the copper lists for the classic Amiga, for example. The OS will support the chip. The OS Documentation will describe how to talk to it. The coders will learn how to program the chip, if it can do anything useful for them and their application. I (as a non-coding user) will use the application if it does anything useful for me. If I get tired of waiting for applications, I might have to learn to program myself.

This is how it has always been. The Amiga is about making the machine do what you want it to do and sharing that with those who might want it to do the same thing. I have always found that some coder, somewhere, makes what I want (eventually).

Troels 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:25:55
#668 ]
Elite Member

@JulArroyo
David May is also author of the Occam language. I don't know if it fits any riddles but we all know about Occams razor. "Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor, is the principle that "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity" and the conclusion thereof, that the simplest explanation or strategy tends to be the best one.

Multiplied and X at least a tiny connection...!
Elegance through simplicity is also what Amiga is about

Kronos 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:27:50
#669 ]
Elite Member

"Transputers" ????

Those were a pretty much complete failure back in the 80/90s and are completly pointless today.

Today you just add more copies of your main CPU and run a SMP-capable OS on the whole bunch.

If thats still not enough you'll just link more and more similar computers with some high-speed connection.

The real task is spreading the task/data over all that power.

Apple Hammer 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:31:39
#670 ]

@DoodooHead

Quote:

DoodooHead wrote:
If I get tired of waiting for applications, I might have to learn to program myself.

Well, what one man can do another can do. It's just about time, patience, and a willingness to learn. And what better a time, or better a platform?
On Windows, programming can be a thankless task. If you write small programs, nobody cares who you are. If you write big programs, then they download the programs for free on file sharing sites.
I'm not suggesting the Amiga is totally free of piracy, but at least on our platform, every coding effort is appreciated by its users. Even small programs are met with great thanks. Anyone can contribute.

And that's always been the fun behind the Amiga. One person alone can still make a difference.

Remember when computing was fun?

Applehammer.

Radfoo 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:32:55
#671 ]

@DoodooHead

Quote:
This is how it has always been. The Amiga is about making the machine do what you want it to do and sharing that with those who might want it to do the same thing. I have always found that some coder, somewhere, makes what I want (eventually).

Yeah, I guess. I am just concerned it would spread the coders time more thinly or just end up being ignored/redundant. Hopefully as well as telling us what it is, they are also able to show us it doing something cool/useful tomorrow

DAX 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:37:29
#672 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos
Sometimes good ideas that were not implemented correctly might make a come back (like Hyper-threading for example).

Besides, Cell does not use the "just multiply your main core" many times philosophy, same goes for future generation Intel CPUs that will integrate Larrabee inside the CPU itself.

It would seem that some engineers think differently from others.

DoodooHead 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:37:31
#673 ]
Cult Member

@Apple_hammer

Programming in HiSoft basic and compiling it was as far as I ever got. I made a few things that I needed to fill in some gaps that applications didn't cover. Maybe now that I am retired and have all the time in the world, I can take it to the next level.

Zardoz 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:39:21
#674 ]
Team Member

@Kronos

Quote:
"Transputers" ????

Well, not quite. The XMOS is made by some of the same people but is a more modern design. It has its uses in real time applications and you can actually program it in standard languages, unlike the Transputer. You can use a superset of C called XC, or C and C++.

Can be very useful as a DSP or microcontroller.

billt 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:39:53
#675 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter
Quote:
Yup, it's a PASemi, i'm sure.

As much as I'd love to see a PA Semi, I'm too skeptical to believe it's possible. We can only wish. I don't want to be that disappointed. But check out a picture of it.

Though I do think it would be able to satisfy the x16 PCI-Express slot hint from Rogue here. What else in PowerPC land can give you a real x16 slot? Freescale and AMCC both seem to top out at x8 links. And taking an AMCC Gen2 (5Gbps) x8 port, putting it through a PCI_Express switch to give it an effective Gen1 (2.5Gbps) x16 slot is cheating. IBM's G5 and that northbridge could do x16 as on the powermac tower, but that's old and sucked lots of power, way more than the 8x25% to get 20W hint, so that's out. AMCC's first Titan chip, APM 83290, doesn't have enough details public to tell if it can do x16 or not. Wikipedia and other product announcements all mention PCI-Express, but don't give number of lanes or ports. They mention DDR2 controller, but not if there's two. It does say two cores, which I assume to be what we're looking for. it began sampling in October, which seems like a rather short timeframe for documentation, design, and test/debug, even if they haven't gone to real production yet.

Last edited by billt on 04-Jan-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Last edited by billt on 04-Jan-2010 at 10:40 PM.

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:41:28
#676 ]
Elite Member

@amitv

aehm.... i have to go. I haven't said anythink: what do you mean

try to forget

Apple Hammer 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:45:09
#677 ]

@DoodooHead

Yep, I'm in the same boat too. My background is Embedded applications - so I'm comfortable writing code for Microcontrollers with no supporting OS at all. But I've only really brushed the surface of Amiga application programming.

Maybe it's about time I did something about that? And same goes for any other prospective Amiga coders?

Why should Hyperion have all the fun?

Applehammer

Zylesea 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:48:13
#678 ]
Elite Member

@Zardoz

But why integrate it on the board? A PCI(e) card would do, too. Anyway, lets see what it will be exactly. I think the XMOS guess seem squite plausible, but the reason for doing ut doesn't convince me yet (maybe there are good reasons, but I don't see the benefit or the revolutional thing yet).

AmigaBlitter 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:54:34
#679 ]
Elite Member

it's a PASemi electra modified (obviously) mobo

check here:

http://www.theinquirer.net/img/1966/PASemi-Electra-development-board.jpg

i suggest to zoom the image and note some identical things.

Zardoz 
Posted on 4-Jan-2010 22:54:56
#680 ]
Team Member

@Zylesea

Quote:
But why integrate it on the board? A PCI(e) card would do, too. Anyway, lets see what it will be exactly. I think the XMOS guess seem squite plausible, but the reason for doing ut doesn't convince me yet (maybe there are good reasons, but I don't see the benefit or the revolutional thing yet).

Same. For me it's one of those things of theoretical use that "would really be cool", but they may have some actual applications in mind that we're not aware of, else there wouldn't really be much point at all.

If this is what that chip is at all of course.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle