Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 141 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  15 mins ago
 Hammer:  24 mins ago
 Birbo:  39 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 MarcioD:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 NancyNash:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Video, Aros Media Performance
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
meet.mrnrg 
Re: Video, Aros Media Performance
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 15:02:22
#21 ]

@clusteruk

Keep at it, its going to be start - platform - no doubt!
Nice one!

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 17:33:55
# ]

@clusteruk & Manu

Thanks for the heads up. I have a laptop waiting to be repaired that could take advantage of the Intel patch. Using the Gallium3D drivers elsewhere would be fantastic.

@Leo

Without a strong community in the first place, I don't think a massive project like that would get any further than Anubis has.

For now, they should build up the user & developer base by making AROS the best a non-memory protected OS can be.

Chris

Report this post  
clusteruk 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 18:17:17
#23 ]

@clebin

And on Memory protection, who knows what may happen in the future.

Even if we got that the doubters would moan about multi core, and if we get that etc etc.

Leo 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 18:33:54
#24 ]

@clusteruk: I'm not turning this into anything. I'm just saying:

1. We know AmigaOS is fast, even on a 68k, and faster than anything else on some stuff, simply because it's simple. No because it's better...

2. AROS (AmigaOS) is aged

You can wait five years, and run it on some hypothetical core i9, it will even be faster, but will still crash easily, still won't support SMP, and so on...

The thing is the core OS (Exec,...) cannot be updated to support modern features without breaking compatibility... So why going on improving it since this is a dead end (that we already see today since multiple cores can't be supported,...) is beyond me...

I would be happy to support it if people at the head had a future vision... not a vision of the past.

Last edited by Leo on 26-Mar-2010 at 06:35 PM.

clusteruk 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 19:25:00
#25 ]

@Leo

Why do you like the Amiga, and do you still use them day to day?

I agree with your main points on memory protection and multi core, it is not rocket science to know that. I believe that Aros is moving forward and these will be become such a priority that a rethink as you put it will happen.

My reason for getting behind Aros is that it is not owned by a company that can mess it up again. I am not complaining about Hyperion at all, but two or three people control the destiny of my favorite OS. With Aros there are loads of voices controlling its future and I can have a part to play in its development without begging the two or three owners.

Plus the fact that as is perfectly evident, Aros changes are increasing at a surprising level in the past 18 months and they are accelerating as more developers join in.

Aros is now potentially an unstoppable force and the only thing stopping it will be Memory Protection and SMP support. I believe it will happen and it will break some software, but that is a small price to pay in the near future.

So once we have them, I assume you will jump on board then yes?

Metalheart 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 19:27:57
#26 ]
Elite Member

@clusteruk

Quote:
So once we have them, I assume you will jump on board then yes?

Don't count on it, he will have something else to moan about...

That as soon as you're born you're dying

Manu 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 19:47:25
#27 ]

@Leo

Quote:

The thing is the core OS (Exec,...) cannot be updated to support modern features without breaking compatibility... So why going on improving it since this is a dead end (that we already see today since multiple cores can't be supported,...) is beyond me..

Because it's fun?

Can we be allowed to have fun while improving Aros, or does everything have to be "strictly business" to you ??

If you look at it at worst possible angle you could say NO Amiga like OS will never ever catch up with Win/OSX/linux they will remain old and outdated and only keep cathing up and never ever be one of the leading parts in the IT industry..does that mean we should bury or beloved OSes ? Hell no...

As an analogy, should I stop playing my instrument I enjoy playing only because I did not start at age 6 so I have no chance being a true master in playing it. No again I keep doing it because it fills a personal need and it's a challenge to me to get better at it. I would stop playing tomorrow if I did not think it's fun. This is how I think many AROS devs feels about developing AROS they're in for the fun of it and for the challenge. And a YAW (yet another whiner) can't stop them improving it. Keep on whining....

Last edited by Manu on 26-Mar-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Last edited by Manu on 26-Mar-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 20:07:16
#28 ]

I can play multiple low res videos simultaneously with my 600MHz G3 using slow SDL output (because you can't have two PIP windows simultaneously) so it's not a big deal to run 6-7 low res videos with a 3GHz machine. So where's the big deal in this (honestly) ?

If anybody wants to blow your socks off how fast an OS can be try Atheos/Syllable. It looks very compatible and stable on a generic x86 HW. And it has all modern features. (I've started to wonder is AmigaOS API so much ahead of any other API in the world so it's worth it there's so many attempts to clone it without implementing any modern features.)

Manu 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 20:41:00
#29 ]

@Tomppeli

It''s not a big deal, it just shows AROS can handle multiple videos fine (high res too) only at VESA mode. It could be of interest to someone wanting to know more about AROS.

nikosidis 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 21:25:38
#30 ]
Cult Member

It is not often I post here and I don't see much point posting here either.
Every time someone comes up with something nice about AROS it is most of the time moaning about this and that.
When I see the slow progress of amiga OS and all the threads about the same thing over and over again, I feel happy to be with the AROS project.

I don't see much point in talking about stuff that amiga or amiga like OS lacks.
So what if no support for multi core. So what if we have no mem.. protection.
What are people doing here that needs those things in Amiga or Amiga like OS and even comment on them ?
Is there some serious lack of better things to do ??

I have no problem at all to say that we all need other OS for many things. Amiga or amiga like OS don't do all the stuff needed today.

AROS is an OS developed mostly for free and every bit of progress it gains are a blessing to all that love Amiga.
I just thank the hard working people that make the AROS dream alive and kicking.

Trekiej 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 22:43:37
#31 ]
Cult Member

I hope Aros keeps the Amiga experience.

John 3:16

paolone 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 22:49:46
#32 ]

@nikosidis

Quote:
It is not often I post here and I don't see much point posting here either. Every time someone comes up with something nice about AROS it is most of the time moaning about this and that.

...and, best of all, they are the same people who go to Amiga events, meet other 50 friends like them when they're lucky, look at AmigaOS 4 progresses and say: "wow! amazing! a new wonderfully drawn iconset!", "oooh! look there: there is a new, revolutionary RSS feed messaging system!", "this new GUI for MPlayer is a little step for a developer, but a giant leap for humanity". In the meanwhile, AROS got full USB 2.0 support, installed on netbooks, started compiling itself, got a modern browser, re-worked most of its preferences, got support for SATA drives, a complete implementation of OpenGL, has been ported on SAM and the Efika, and its version of MPlayer had a GUI from day 1, not counting Gallium3D which was just in the initial works. And every time someone posts the news that AROS can now do something that it couldn't do until the day before, there's someone whining because it can't do something else, that many times even the other AmigaOS dialects can't do. Isn't time these people decide to grow up?

Tomas 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 23:11:24
#33 ]
Elite Member

@Leo
Quote:
1. We know AmigaOS is fast, even on a 68k, and faster than anything else on some stuff, simply because it's simple. No because it's better...

That depends on what you want from a OS. Less is in some cases better than more.

When it comes to AmigaOS itself the only thing i miss is memory protection, SMP, more drivers and multi user support.

Salup 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 23:30:37
#34 ]

@paolone

That's quite unfair. Just look in this thread, the only one actually complaining is Leo, and he doesn't actually fit your description very well. Everyone else in this thread is actually saying AROS looks nice and that the posted video is impressive (or at least quite OK).

The only people complaining in this thread are you and Leo, and I guess that says quite a lot about you.

PS. I have never used OS4.x and I haven't been to an Amiga event since AmiTech in Gothenburg, Sweden, in 1997. I have however tried a couple of AROS live CDs a while ago, but I didn't get far because of some problems with my laptop and AROS not being the best of friends.

Edit: If you read the threads that have anything to do with AROS you will see that most people are either positive or politely uninterested. Your accusations are just not based on what is actually going on here at Amigaworld.net.

Last edited by Salup on 26-Mar-2010 at 11:41 PM.

itix 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 23:41:21
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

I think both Leo and Tomppeli are having valid point there... it is probably good to know AROS can do video but there is nothing we havent seen before.

Quote:

It''s not a big deal, it just shows AROS can handle multiple videos fine (high res too) only at VESA mode.

Aint it more about raw CPU power than OS feature? Even my A500 could do that if the HW was fast enough. Those who are interested probably are not asking how fast CPU you can have but what kind of services and features the OS has... maybe HW accelerated video playback?

paolone 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 23:52:20
#36 ]

@Salup

Quote:
Edit: If you read the threads that have anything to do with AROS you will see that most people are either positive or politely uninterested. Your accusations are just not based on what is actually going on here at Amigaworld.net.

In what language should I start laughing? I don't know who you are and I don't know where have you been in the last months, however I can politely suggest you to read more discussions which went on here, before complaining with me. Just read the comments to any news posted about AROS in the latest 2 years, or the most successful stories on the "AROS, MorphsOS and company" forum, and you'll nicely see the behavior I reported here.

And, well, I suppose you've not been at the last Pianeta Amiga, have you?

terminills 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 23:54:44
#37 ]
AROS Core Developer

@itix

I think it may be less about whether or not there's a point(I think most Aros followers would love to see both SMP and memory protection) and more about the tone said point is made.

We all know Aros has a long ways to go. I personally would like to the kernel reworked so it could become more advanced and have legacy stuff sand boxed. but that's just my opinion. :)

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

nikosidis 
Posted on 26-Mar-2010 23:59:20
#38 ]
Cult Member

@Salup

You are right about that. Still I feel in lots of AROS anoucements, there are most bad comments.
No harm to all those nice people here, having something nice to say.
At the same time its quite demotivating that most threads end up in a dicussion about lacking this and that. It's like a few people always want to fight. The problem is that they are getting it.
This is why I stay out most of the time. I don't want to please those people with bad comments I just ignore them.

paolone: even if we have lots of good stuff last 2 years, we are still behind Amiga and morphos in some ways.

No matter what, AROS deserves the same respect as Amiga or morphos.

Now this thread is also going outside topic and we are getting into a disussion.
My fault, but I just had to say something about it.

Back to topic. I know the video from clusteruk is nothing revolutionary.
Nothing with Amiga or amiga like OS is. Still making videos at least show what our OS can do and I enjoy to watch them. Why there are so few Amiga videos ? I love to see more of them.

Last edited by nikosidis on 27-Mar-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Leo 
Posted on 27-Mar-2010 0:10:31
#39 ]

Quote:

We all know Aros has a long ways to go.

And we all know you may run lots of multiple videos at the same time on a recent x86... If AROS devs keep on working on the "old" Exec OS, keep on developing apps without having some sort of new API (like MacOSX did when going from MacOS 9 to MacOS X), the road will be longer... and maybe endless.

I'm not saying they are not improving, nor it's not faster (at least when not moving windows, and not doing any kind of hardware acceleration) faster than Haiku (or Linux, or anything else)... I'm just wondering what's the point, since in the end it's so limited.

I'd be happy to give my time to something like this if the roadmap was clearly defined (as it is, it's not defined at all: we don't know where it's going... some people are working on different architectures ports while the most advanced one (ie: x86) isn't even in alpha stage, a lot of bounties defined by the community (and not the people at the head of the development) are created, going in 50 directions at the same time... UAE integration (is there a licence for the OS ?), ports here and there,..), and was going to the future. I'm not expecting anyone to beat Linux/Mac/Win/Whatever, nor to do any kind of business. I'd just would like to have fun trying to build something *new* and *powerful*, without any limitations from 20 years ago. We have so powerful machines, why adding so many limits ?

Not Haiku, not Linux, a true new Amiga-like OS... UAE is fine for the compatibility and can run pretty much everything.

PS: no, Anubis doesn't seem to go nowhere...

nikosidis 
Posted on 27-Mar-2010 0:20:44
#40 ]
Cult Member

@Leo

Anubis was taken down. There was little interest. Why another Linux distro ?
What would be so special about it ?
In the end AROS users are old Amiga users. We want DOpus, we want fast boot times and whatever give the feeling of Amiga OS.
I think you might get supprised how well AROS might envolve. Even if it will never compete with the biggeste OS out there, it might at least become the best Amiga like OS ever and it might be spesial in some areas. It already is.

Last edited by nikosidis on 27-Mar-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Last edited by nikosidis on 27-Mar-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle